Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - more judges?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   8 9 10 [11] 12    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Arash

quote:

Im very sleepy ... have to go to bed.. That means Im in a critical condition.. and should not continue to write. But I do.. and I hope you can maybe help me out a bit.. In short... its becoming a hard job to be fair to anyone here. Where is the point to start to be strict and hard?

you are worring and thinking too much man at the end of the day everyone still realizes this is just a litlle bit of fun and that they have allready recived their prize
and the judges and you and everyone is just doing the best they can to make it as fair as possible...everyone realizes that

i think every decision you made has been just fine, i would have done the same..this people all put in alot of effort so its ok to bend the rules a litlle for them, it would have been more unfair to stop someone from entering on a small technicallity like audio format or whatever after they done all this work

slowing the loop down is not a huge crime, speeding it up would have been dishonorable but slowing it down a litlle its not the end of the world, its not an enhancement

things never ever go 100% strictly to plan, u have to prepare for that and allow yourself some room to be flexible..wich u seem to be doing , so dont worry

u play the cards u have on hand and make the best possible decisions with that not with what u wish u had or planned to have

u way hard on yourself for no reason serious, just enjoy it, you did a great job, its a great challenge, inspirational entries...enjoy it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2009 21:48:20

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

Oh, and we still have more entries to come ...so still everything is possible

Yeah man, its not even half of the judges who finished scoring.
Just wait what will happen.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 0:58:25

Arash

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to ToddK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ToddK

I find it a bit strange that even though so many people here were dying to
hear the entries, the entries/judges thread only has 300 hits in 2 days.

I dont think most people even realize its there. Its been bumped half way down
the upload page.

Maybe we could make the Audio thread temporary "Sticky" (if this is possible). Ron should know.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 1:11:34

Ron.M

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Doitsujin

gj said

quote:

Doitsujin, you worrying me... the competition is unfolding handsomely

Doit, I totally agree!
You have made a great job of managing this.
Ailsa has been great and diligent too.
This has been the most succesful project we've had IMO.

I feel really proud of the fact that anyone coming across this Forum and listening to those entries is going to be totally impressed by the calibre of some of the people here!

Maybe we live in the "slum zone" according to Google (as pointed out by Captain Bob).....

But there sure is some good playing going on down here!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 3:39:04

Doitsujin

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Florian

I got in touch with one challenger who I titled as "he broke a rule". I want to take this statement back. I just realized that I understand nothing about this editing and cotrolling speed with programms... So I was obvisiously wrong. Please go on as I would have said noting. As I wrote,..I was tired and not in the condition to do any decisions.. I should have listen to myself instead of writing this..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 3:54:35

Doitsujin

quote:

Did I understand that correctly? No more audio-entries allowed! There was a deadline.
"Over"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 3:56:13

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

quote:

Did I understand that correctly? No more audio-entries allowed! There was a deadline.
"Over"

We ment "Judge entries", not Audio entries

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 3:59:55

Doitsujin

Yepp.. I read the posts backwards..and just didnt see your post. I aslo think its always a good choose to talk about worries instaed of concentrating it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 4:02:56

Doitsujin

Hey Arash, your post on page 10 was well spoken. ;.) And I want to thank also the others who wrote wise!

Yesterday I forgot the basic idea of the challenge for a while. The challenge should be good for anybody. The players practice and become really phenomenal as I heared in the audios and it really should be fun for them as well as for the rest of us.
I though about all again after reading your posts and I think lets go on as we started! No rule was really broken,.. nothing can be perfect and to keep it relaxed we have to be tolerant.I will ignore my ego.

A good friend of mine who is a professional musician told me in past, the most important thing if you are musician is: You have to do your thing and dont get depressed because of other peoples opinions about your music. (If these opinions are not like yours). Only if you can handle this, you can be a musician. So, that is my second challenge within this challenge.

Let us forget my negative post and go on with enjoying the challenge !

ok?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 8:23:03

Arash

quote:

A good friend of mine who is a professional musician told me in past, the most important thing if you are musician is: You have to do your thing and dont get depressed because of other peoples opinions about your music. (If these opinions are not like yours). Only if you can handle this, you can be a musician. So, that is my second challenge within this challenge.

Wise Friend!

I thought that all of you Pros. don't give a f..... about the Points and Judging of us Noobs anyways and just want to have some fun learning La Ardilla and snatch those prices away ........

----

Joking aside, Ole Doit, glad that you see things positive now, and yes, never let other opinions affect you in a negative way, and also there are so many factors in this Judging thing to be considered that you can't predict anything.

My own opinion is still that the major influencing factor is that we had so many different recording enviroments (but i told you that at the beginning of this thread with Fat Letters ! ) and its really hard to compare and differentiate those things, even if you are used to Flamenco for years.

The best would be that all would record exactly with the same Mic, Guitar, Room, etc.....but thats impossible as we all know!

So we simply can do our best to judge properly. Not more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 9:41:24

NormanKliman

quote:

Most of the Challangers are better guitar players than most of the Judges

I've been taking a peek now and then from the sidelines, and I got to thinking about some of Arash's comments from the post that I've quoted.

Some of the points he brought up are exactly the kind of thing that pros have to deal with insofar as critics and reviews. But I'm talking about more than just your pride or all the hard work you've put into your art, because what might be on the line is making enough money to feed your family! I'm not going to name any names, and I'm sorry to be hinting like this, but I've met several important critics and writers who admitted to me that they can't follow compás (quickly adding, of course, "But I know when something's not in compás!"). It's bad enough that they don't sing, dance or play the guitar, but some of these guys can't even put one hand against the other in rhythm!!! And they're going to say what's hip and what to skip?!

Anyway, three cheers for all of you!

Edit: Just to clarify, that was just a general rant about the way things are, not about anyone here on the forum!

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 11:14:49

Ron.M

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to NormanKliman

Yes Norman.

And I guess by that you mean INSIDE Spain?

So it's easy to see why outside Spain that Manitas and others have so much success and why Flamenco and Flamingo music has gained this "picture postcard" image that still is very prevalent as only memories of a good holiday or holiday romance on the Costa del Sol and and no more.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 11:31:18

NormanKliman

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Ron.M

Hi Ron,

Yes, I meant in Spain, but the destructive behavior I mentioned isn't limited to Spain, obviously. I'm not sure I understand the rest of your message. We can take this onto another thread, if you like.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 13:58:53

srshea

I’ve just given those entries a listen and, man, that’s some top notch work everybody! And all that listening has really made me appreciate that piece much more than I did before. I’m actually not crazy about the opening falseta (just not to my taste), so I’ve often skipped that track in the past and haven’t really spent a whole lot of time listening to it, but there really is a lot of great stuff in there elsewhere. That descending arpeggio deal about 3/5s of the way through kills me every time.

Anyway, good job all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2009 16:06:41

Florian

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to srshea

quote:

Let us forget my negative post and go on with enjoying the challenge !

Ok so is this a good time for a litlle bit of joking ?

Doit ...
I remember a certain someone calling me a pussy when i was relaxed in my scoring in the past challenges who was that ? i cant remember ..i bet you could go for a litlle bit of pussy now

lol, sorry now that i know u in a better frame of mind seemed like a good time to tease a litlle ...anyway u wanna see a real drama qeen wait till il do one of this things and see how i deal with it ...theres not enough pages in this forum to hold my long letter of complaint, i am gonna bite , scrath, pull hair, fire judges, call the challenge off in the midlle of scoring, tell everyone who all the other entries are to ruin it for everyone..il get vidictive on your arses i dont f*ck around

anyway onwords and upwards amigo what you fellt was natural and what u wrote after you had time to relax.. comendable

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 0:16:38

XXX

Man, this challenge already had it all!
Every day, something unexpected happens.
Its just fun, just a game. Things are getting more serious, and that kills a bit the spirit IMO.
Im curious what will happen next

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 1:46:18

at_leo_87

i cant wait to find out who's who!

i wish the advanced players uploaded more often!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 2:07:47

Andy Culpepper

How many judges are we waiting on here, this is taking forever. I don't think Grisha's logged on in months but he's listed as a judge.
tranquilo, tranquilo...

(incredible job everybody)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 5:21:28

Ailsa

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Guys you will see that to allow all the judges to post their comments Doit has extended the deadline to 9th June, midnight UK time - you'll just have to wait a little longer, hang on in there!!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 5:24:53

Doitsujin

quote:

Doit ...
I remember a certain someone calling me a pussy when i was relaxed in my scoring in the past challenges who was that ? i cant remember ..i bet you could go for a litlle bit of pussy now

Yoouuu!!! If I get you!!! hahaha..

Yes the challenge has characteristics of a soap opera.

Grisha passed me a PM at the beginning of this week. He asked me where and how to judge. I gave him the links. Im pretty sure he takes time to judge.
And Jason will judge at the end of the week. Some very important judges for me..because they are so incredibly good, I am extremely interested in their comments.

HemeolaMan will be available on Monday or Tuesday. He wrote hes out of town and will judge, but a little late. Takaita missed the challenge I think.

Because I want to give all the judges the chance to rate, I set the definitive deadline to the 9th this month. (As Ailsa also announced above)

I think HemeolaMan will be the last judge I guess. Than we will close the rating and calculate the scores.
Ailsa will declare the winner as planned and we hopefully see some videos and have some more discussion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 7:49:23

Florian

quote:

HemeolaMan will be available on Monday or Tuesday. He wrote hes out of town and will judge, but a little late

so what u gonna do.. u gonna replace him ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 12:19:06

Doitsujin

quote:

so what u gonna do.. u gonna replace him ?

No he will be in time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2009 12:53:26

Arash

quote:

Takaita missed the challenge I think.

i don't think so. i saw his name (takitaka) quite often in the last days here.
maybe he is still preparing his entry.
drop him a PM and ask.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2009 3:37:23

Doitsujin

I saw takaita now rated the entries. Fine! We seem to get complete in time!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2009 6:58:48

ToddK

ITs JUNE 10!!!

What happened to the "Hardline June 9th Deadline"??

Man, this challenge totally fell through the cracks.

Sad...

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2009 20:50:13

cathulu

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to ToddK

No, you are incorrect, it is not June 10. You FAIL!

The time in the UK as of this post is Tuesday June 9 at 6:07AM plus or minus a minute or so...

It is not sad, all conditions are normal. I look forward to when everything will be revealed! I have my guesses but also my doubts who is who!

PS I doubt and do not expect Ailsa to post the identities at 12:01AM on June 10 so lets cut some slack there also...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2009 21:11:55

ToddK

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

No, you are incorrect, it is not June 10. You FAIL!

yeah, wow, im an idiot

I guess its just been a long 3 months and 9 days, and im ready to see this
wrap up.

Sorry im being so impatient. Huge Congrats again to all the challengers. AWESOME JOB!! Everybody!!
Doit and Ailsa, you are the best!! Thanks so much!
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2009 21:47:10

Doitsujin

Ok, a copule of hours left for two judges! I hope they really judge and we dont wait for nothing!

This night we will compute the scores and finish the challenge with the award ceremony!!

Please be strong and wait a little more!

And please remember Ailsa will end the challenge. Nobody else should calculate the scores... It would take awy the spirit of the whole thing.. Like deflating a balloon..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2009 21:54:34

Ailsa

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

do not expect Ailsa to post the identities at 12:01AM

On the contrary, that's exactly what I'm going to do! I mean you all have a calculator and can add it up yourselves, but I'm going to stay up and do it. I posted the original entries at midnight and this is gonna be quicker so it's an easier one for me.

Yes it would be great if the last two judges can make it, but I think we've had great comments from the judges already so I'll be happy for that.

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2009 23:17:33

xirdneH_imiJ

i already calculated as i was too impatient :) - i made a scoreboard myself and wanted to compare my results to the average, it only differs at one point...
we need those two judges, they could decide 2nd-3rd place and 6th-7th place, the rest seems to be comfortable in their positions...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2009 2:21:29
Page:   <<   <   8 9 10 [11] 12    >   >>
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   8 9 10 [11] 12    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5