Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Fustero Tuners   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Exitao

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Exitao

Well, wouldn't (the right) machine heads be lighter than pegs?

After all, you have to cut out more of the head.

We need titanium tuners...

at_leo_87:

I've seen those tuners on ebay, like $7.99. The buttons are molded plastic, non-removable. The f-upped detail on the one you point out was because of poor stamping, obviously.

Whereas when you look at Fusteros and Allessi and Rubner, they are engraved. A bit of a difference. And while you may pay too much for others, the ratio of cost:value isn't that big for those ones.

The question isn't so much about balance. My sitting position is still all about keeping the guitar as stable as possible, I'm sure it will evolve when technique becomes more natural.

AFAIK, Flamenco guitars have thinner necks, and modern luthiers are taking advantage of graphite and carbon fibre to reinforce necks so that they can make them as thin as possible. IRC, it's about making the guitar as light as possible, because it affects the sound.

So, maybe it's silly, but it might make sense to choose lighter tuners, or capos, if all else is equal.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:41:03

Francisco

I guess you could argue that machines are lighter because you have to cut out more wood for the machines, but I'm not exactly sure. The experts here might be able to offer a more substantial answer.

By getting them 'right', I think what is meant is more in regards to the fit.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:46:50

at_leo_87

quote:

I've seen those tuners on ebay, like $7.99. The buttons are molded plastic, non-removable. The f-upped detail on the one you point out was because of poor stamping, obviously.

man, i got ripped off then! god damn guitar center. i'd love to get some tuners that don't squeal like little innocent girls in the same room as both r kelly and kobe bryant.

but my cheap guitar doesn't justify any upgrade.

how about carbon fiber tuners. with nitrous oxide for faster tuning

quote:

it's about making the guitar as light as possible, because it affects the sound.

i remember anders stating some correlation between lightness and attack. but exactly how much does it actually affect the sound? who knows.

go with your gut, man. btw, what guitar is this going on?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:55:05

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: at_leo_87

btw, what guitar is this going on?

Let's see if this works. my photobucket album

It's tough taking pics of a guitar because of light. If I had a nice camera where I could screw around with aperture and exposure and use a diffuser on the flash, I could probably do something better (I say probably, because I don't actually know how to use those things, yet).

Also, the honey colour of the wood, seems to reflect different colours in the photo.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 20:10:43

gj Michelob

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Francisco

quote:

LOL...
oh gee, I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing out that all my favorite guitarist use tuners!

BTW, it was John's statement originally, AND I'm sure he meant it as a joke. Which, imo, was funny.

I too use tuners, but the next one is going to have pegs as my builder assures me he can get them right.

It is ironic, Francisco, while I was responding to you to second the sentiment that “true flamencos use pegs” I started thinking about my favorite musicians, and it occurred to me that none of them uses pegs [footnote], but tuning machines. I did not mean with my list of flamencos using machine heads to silence your suggestion, but as a sudden epiphany that they do.

Anyway I reiterate I really was trying to get into pegs recently and felt so cool, different, special to have a guitar set like that. But cursed….it seems I am too awkward with them, and hurt my fingers like an imbecile. However, using pegs may be a whim of vanity as much as choosing pretty machine heads is. Yet I see nothing wrong with being fastidious about guitar’s details, considering how much we play it and “with” it.

[footnote] Grammar: “none of them use or useS pegs” or none of my friends smoke or smokes? I often test on grammar with this example and recurrently, here in the US, most college graduates I interview, will conjugate the verb in the plural, as instinctively feel that “them” pluralizes the sentence. However, none is the subject (think of no one) and of course determines the verb in the third singular “no one, or none, of them uses pegs”. A Columbia university graduate was so ashamed about failing this test that presented me with a convincing well researched argument that this callous error and poor colloquialism is so recurrent that it is considered “American English”. As sad and unjust as it may seem, it is consistent with linguistic transformation and progress, often choosing simplicity and shortcuts, over accuracy. In a relative way this could apply to Pegs v. Machine heads, as progress does inexorably move towards simplifying matters.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 5:15:16

Taranto

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

Grammar: “none of them use or useS pegs” or none of my friends smoke or smokes? I often test on grammar with this example and recurrently, here in the US, most college graduates I interview, will conjugate the verb in the plural, as instinctively feel that “them” pluralizes the sentence.

Now without thinking tell me which is correct:

Everybody does. OR
Everybody do.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 5:34:37

Exitao

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Taranto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taranto

quote:

Grammar: “none of them use or useS pegs” or none of my friends smoke or smokes? I often test on grammar with this example and recurrently, here in the US, most college graduates I interview, will conjugate the verb in the plural, as instinctively feel that “them” pluralizes the sentence.

Now without thinking tell me which is correct:

Everybody does. OR
Everybody do.

Depends, are you speaking simple present, or imperative?

As for "none of them" we have to remember that none originates from "not one." So G.J. is correct in regards to subject verb agreement. However, I would say that the proper subject is the "one" that isn't there.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 6:03:39

Taranto

quote:

As for "none of them" we have to remember that none originates from "not one." So G.J. is correct in regards to subject verb agreement. However, I would say that the proper subject is the "one" that isn't there.

Ok this one is for you Exitao:

Everyone use it. OR
Everyone uses it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 6:17:55

Exitao

quote:

quote:

Ok this one is for you Exitao:

Everyone use it. OR
Everyone uses it.

Everyone use it. <- correct if used as imperative, conditional or present subjunctive
Everyone uses it. <- correct if used in present tense

"Not one" is singular, "everyone" is every one or all of them, and is plural.

Edit:
Conditional would require an auxiliary, like could, would, should. Subjunctive, doesn't, but still requires a... predicate clause?

Back on topic:
Anyway, what do you guys think, black buttons, black rollers, and a simpler straight plate?
Matte or shiny?
Would nickel be substantially lighter than brass?

(Feel free to jabber on about grammar as long as someone gives an occasional opinion about tuning machines. Sort of like buying coffee just so you can hang out in the cafe.)

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 6:27:38

Taranto

quote:

Everyone use it. <- correct if used as imperative, conditional or present subjunctive

Hey you seem to be a grammar professor!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 6:50:05

Exitao

quote:

quote:

Hey you seem to be a grammar professor!

LOL

I knew very little about English grammar until I studied foreign languages. German and Latin grammar are murder (not that I've studied Latin formally, but it fascinates me). Stuff like clauses and predicate pronouns and cases just... pues, me joden.

Also, I was wrong about the subjunctive thing. It doesn't need anything before it. It just requires that the context be clear that it is contrary to fact. Oh well.

Anyway, just remember what my French teacher told us at St. Jerome's (boys) High School, "Don't conjugate before marriage and if you do, be safe and make sure you get to confession on Saturday!"

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2009 6:58:03

a_arnold

I agree that the lyre tuners, no matter how well done and expensive, are not a plus. Does ANYBODY make a top quality but absolutely plain (no lyres, engraving or stamped design) machine head? Preferably with ebony buttons.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2009 18:52:21

Andrew

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to jshelton5040

I just fitted a sloane set of tuners and found the quality VERY POOR (hard to believe when you read the advertising blurb).

Can you pass on the details of the Taiwan company.

Thanks,
Andrew
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2009 5:43:30

pundi64

deleted (in reply to Exitao

deleted
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 14 2016 22:19:49

VAHE

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Francisco

Here is the link
https://www.clavijerosfustero.com

Try to exchange emails with them first before ordering, to make sure that they are still in business. my last order from them was about two years ago .

https://www.instagram.com/vahe_flamenco_guitars/
Vaheflamenco@Gmail.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 15 2016 1:04:13
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll