Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Fustero Tuners   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Exitao

Fustero Tuners 

I'm unable to find it, so I'm asking here, where can I find the specs for Fustero tuners, roller spacing and screw spacing?

Just want to know how different the screw spacing on Gotoh vs Fustero.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2009 23:06:41

gj Michelob

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Exitao

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Tuning+Machines&NameProdHeader=Fustero%99+Classical+Tuners

This is Luthiers' Mercantile International site, specifically Fustero. I rememeber that until a few days ago you could click on the image and open a chart of specs. If this should no longer be the case, do call the 800 number. Staff at that store is extraordinarily helpful.

On a personal note, for Flamenco guitar, I find Fustero to represent the ideal set of tuners. Although not a s"tight" as Gotoh or Alessi, they are "light" as one would like such as set to be on a Flamenco guitar.

I am sure the Luthiers' community well represented onthis forum will agree that, should the screw spacing differ and cause you to add holes leaving some empty, it is always a good idea to fill those unused holes, or they will in time weaken the wood.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2009 6:07:05

Exitao

Yeah, unfortunately the Fustero pics don't link. The Gotohs are the only classical tuners on LMII that show full details. I had just hoped someone here had a bookmark.

It would have been faster than waiting for a response from email.

What would you recommend filling the holes with?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2009 7:21:49

gj Michelob

I would write to them Exitao, it will be faster and more accurate than anything else you may receive here. Fusteros come in (2?) diffrent sizes and specs, so you will avoid anyone giving you numbers which are innocently beleived to be standard when they really are not.

I would also suggest asking the filling query to LMI.

com'n don't be lazy now.... write the e-mail....and let us know the outcome, of course.
ciao

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2009 10:03:06

malakka

Try contacting Ron Fernandez:

http://www.fernandezmusic.com/

He imports Fusteros and knows them quite well. He is quite knowledgeable and is very friendly.

Good Luck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2009 11:14:59

cathulu

So you gonna change out your tuners on your Sigurdson?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 12:11:50

Exitao

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to cathulu

Well, I will eventually. I was planning on maybe getting some Rubners, but I saw a website selling Fusteros for $128 USD.
http://www.guitaraffecs.com/indexg-tuningmachines.html

My tuners are 14:1, the Rubners are 15:1 and the Fusteros are 16:1.

I'm waiting to hear back from the website if they deliver to Canada. The listed shipping rate doesn't seem right. Americans always try to hose us Canadians on such things.

I'm thinking, once I start work again, I'm going to get Jeff to finish one of those two-tones for me, sort of as a banger. I've been dreaming about it. It almost makes me want to go and find a job.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 13:16:52

cathulu

Note these are not the higher end gold plated fusteros that go for around $300 US bucks, the post does not go all the way through the button. These are the cheaper ones, not hand engraved, but a good price nevertheless if this is what you want.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=Fustero%99+Classical+Tuners

PS if you get shipped to Point Roberts, for example through www.thelettercarrier.com, then you won't get ripped off on the shipping, but you have to cross the border yourself to get them. Also, if you decide to ship to Canada then make sure it is shipped by US Postal. The private carriers like UPS or FedEx will rip you off with border processing fees.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 15:30:37

TANúñez

quote:

Americans always try to hose us Canadians on such things.

quote:

It almost makes me want to go and find a job.

Don't worry Exitao, we can't hose you if you don't have a job. Unfortunately, you can't buy Fustero's either without a job

Unless your rich and you don't have to work and the reason you can buy Fusteros anyway.

I have some Fustero's here. I'll measure them and get you the specs you need. Don't know if they are the same for all their models. I use these.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 15:43:28

Exitao

LOL Thanks Tom!

Being Canadian, in a world where the USD affects prices is sometimes not fun. If I look at book prices (in a book store), they show an American and Canadian price. Yet even when we were over $0.20 smaller than the USD, the Canadian prices were always higher than they ought to have been. Then, when the CAD started gaining, it became really annoying.

It often seems whenever someone standardises a shipping rate to Canada, it's always a bit high (especially on eBay, where everyone tries to cheat ebay out of money by charging excessive shipping).

It's enough to make a guy hypersensitive.

I'm on employment insurance, so I have income. Not as much as usual, but I can still afford to splurge now and then.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 16:26:08

gj Michelob

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to TANúñez

http://www.guitarsalon.com/products.php?categoryid=19

the GSI site shows both a 35mm and 36mm Fustero... and quite a mark up !!!

Tom what are you selling those sets in your attachment (mother of pearl buttons) for?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 16:30:01

Exitao

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to gj Michelob

That appears to be the exact same set. Interesting. I assume that on all Fustero tuners you can remove the buttons, yes?

I have ebony buttons, that I replaced the pearloids on my Gotoh with, that I'd probably want to transfer over.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 16:35:16

TANúñez

quote:

Tom what are you selling those sets in your attachment (mother of pearl buttons) for?

Hi gj, I don't actually sell tuners. I use Fustero on the guitars I build. When I get to a point were I start selling my guitars, they will come with Fusteros.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 20:52:56

TANúñez

quote:

the GSI site shows both a 35mm and 36mm Fustero... and quite a mark up !!!

I know the ones I have are 35mm.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2009 20:54:22

Exitao

Pretty much everything new is 35mm. Some places still make 36mm, to fit older guitars, but AFAIK 35mm is the new "standard."

Not necessarily a Fustero question, but I don't think it's worth starting a new thread.

What would you guys think would look sexier on a honey coloured blanca, with rosewood bindings and head with an ebony fingerboard:

Black nickel or brass?

Hauser style plates or more of a straight style with no lyras?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2009 23:19:01

Taranto

quote:

no lyras?

I personally can't stand the look of those cheep looking lyras on any guitar :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 2:19:24

gj Michelob

quote:

What would you guys think would look sexier on a honey coloured blanca, with rosewood bindings and head with an ebony fingerboard:

Black nickel or brass?

Hauser style plates or more of a straight style with no lyras?

I concur with Taranto’s stern dismissal, I too find that whim – the lyre- quite distasteful.

I find that black nickel or silver plates would more suitably blend with the dark tones of a rosewood guitar. In my chromatic view of the world, blonde cypress screams golden plates, generally.

However, a question remains as to whether the button should/could be white (bone or mother of pearl) or black (ebony or mother of pearl). I just converted my GV Rubio blanca from pegs to machine heads, and chose fustero whitish bone buttons.

However, these black ebony buttons, would look very sexy and “Spanish” (except that price may be a deterrent):

http://www.alessituningmachines.it/Flamenco2.htm

http://www.alessituningmachines.it/Hauser4.htm

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 4:47:57

Exitao

I recently replaced the pearloid buttons on my tuners with ebony and it came out quite nice. It complemented the fingerboard very well.

Now I wonder it black rollers would be too much.

My thoughts were that gold/brass was probably better too. I just wasn't sure if I should keep my mind open or not.

So you think that a hauser style is just fine on a flamenco then, eh?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 13:47:16

gj Michelob

Exitao, we are bound for criticism as shallow and vain if if press this subject. Yet i really appreciate the issue, which i as well enjoy dwelling on.

I do like the Alessi Hauser's model. I had some of his plates however and found them nice and "heavy". Do you have a particular brand in mind?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 14:11:18

Exitao

Yes. Rubner. Buying directly from them will be cheaper than buying any other comparable brand. You also have the choice of buttons and rollers.

I'm not as happy about the gear ratio... obviously, I want as high as possible. But I love German craftsmanship (I'm 1/4 German, raised in a city that was at one time named Berlin, so it may be an irrational bias, but all the Old World craftsmen I knew took such pride in their work that I'm sure it must bring good juju with it, LOL).

My guitar was meant for someone else, with wonderful materials. Frankly, the Gotoh 620 tuners are the only thing about my guitar that strike me as less than perfect or cheap. Despite always having been dependable. How's that for shallow and vain?

I don't care. So.. next to aesthetics, I have to wonder, are the hausers heavier or lighter than a straight plate style? I seem to recall that we should try to keep the flamenco light.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 14:59:22

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

Exitao, we are bound for criticism as shallow and vain if if press this subject. Yet i really appreciate the issue, which i as well enjoy dwelling on.

Ok, here's some criticism...
Tuning machines should sell for no more than $20.00. It's a simple mechanism with some gears. You turn the knob (button, whatever) which through some reduction gearing spins a roller which tightens the string. Not rocket science! I can't believe the prices these people are charging for a device that's not as complicated as a can opener. I refuse to use these expensive rip-offs. We use a brand manufactured in Taiwan that is very comparable to Gotoh. They work beautifully and are manufactured to very tight tolerances. We guarantee them for life unconditionally. The most important part of tuning machines is drilling the holes precisely and making sure the side of the head is perpendicular to the top, without that those $300.00 beauties will squeak and pop just like the $4 ones.

Of course real flamencos only use pegs .

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 14:59:42

Exitao

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

Ok, here's some criticism...
Tuning machines should sell for no more than $20.00. It's a simple mechanism with some gears. You turn the knob (button, whatever) which through some reduction gearing spins a roller which tightens the string. Not rocket science! I can't believe the prices these people are charging for a device that's not as complicated as a can opener. I refuse to use these expensive rip-offs. We use a brand manufactured in Taiwan that is very comparable to Gotoh. They work beautifully and are manufactured to very tight tolerances. We guarantee them for life unconditionally. The most important part of tuning machines is drilling the holes precisely and making sure the side of the head is perpendicular to the top, without that those $300.00 beauties will squeak and pop just like the $4 ones.

I agree they're overpriced in general. As I'm researching these things, it seems that the engraving details of the plate make a huge difference, and I can understand that.
But if they were simply machine stamped and all parts made by automated assembly, I don't see how they can charge what they do.

Then again, I've seen some Rubners for less than 10 euros. Plani plates and etc. But more honest.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 15:06:07

gj Michelob

Indeed Exitao, that was a sarcasm: Alessi may be too heavy for a flamenco guitar. Why upsetting the balance achieved by the maker? I like that part about Fusteros, they are light without being plastic or tin-foil.

I agree that it should be pegs. After my injury however, I will gleefully subscribe to tuning machines.

If I may dissent with your opinion, John, why shouldn’t one invest in a beautiful set of tuning machines after investing so much on a beautifully crafted guitar, perhaps handmade, and often dearly priced? There should be some proportion of course. A set of Rodgers would appear misplaced and ridiculous on a student model. But on a $10,000.oo instrument? My Fusteros do their part nicely, but I would not find it so disagreeable that someone invest more on machines. For the handmade sets there is a handful of artisans left. I believe Alessi an Rodgers being two out of such minute minority. Hence the pricey bill. But i too wish they could cost 20 dollars....

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 17:06:50

Francisco

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 17:16:52

gj Michelob

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to Francisco

quote:

quote:

True, Francisco... with some very minor exceptions, if you wil allow me:

Paco de Lucia,
Vicente Amigo,
Tomatito,
Gerardo Nunez,
Moraito,
Pepe Cepero,
Richard Marlow,
Oscar Herrero,
Rafael Riqueni,
and a handful of other similarly inconsquential names who sacrifice the true spirit of tradition on the altar of "convenience" !!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 17:41:28

Exitao

I would have chosen pegs, had it been my specs to which the guitar was built. My next will certainly have pegs.

But if must needs be I suffer with these unsightly tuning machines, I feel that I have an obligation to do so in style. Substance was not one of the gifts the Lord gave me, so I (over)compensate with Style.

So, any guesses, between straight style plates which should weigh more? I think that straights would be thinner...

It also occurs to me that nickel should be lighter than brass. (Which is why I asked about nickel before.) So.. a black nickel might not be a bad choice.

It might make sense for me to chose 3 models and just ask for individual shipping weights.

I still wish I could find an affordable maker with a higher gear ratio. Guitaraffecs (link above) never emailed me back. I was intrigued by how the cheaper set said they had 17:1 ratio. But I don't want to be cheap ones if it means I'll replace them again.

All said and done, I might just buy the top line Gotoh's just so I don't have to make new screw holes. However, they do look heavier.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 17:45:29

at_leo_87

how's this for cheap. the print is crooked.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:14:25

at_leo_87

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to at_leo_87

this is how it's suppose to look.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:15:36

at_leo_87

RE: Fustero Tuners (in reply to at_leo_87

oh, and i somewhat like the lyre style. would it not look weird with that extra space?

you should ditch the straight plate style. it looks really plain and boring to me. unless you sit traditional style, i don't think it will offset the balance that much.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:17:06

Francisco

LOL...
oh gee, I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing out that all my favorite guitarist use tuners!

BTW, it was John's statement originally, AND I'm sure he meant it as a joke. Which, imo, was funny.

I too use tuners, but the next one is going to have pegs as my builder assures me he can get them right.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:24:38
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post