Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Forum Etiquette   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

Forum Etiquette 

I think we should discuss it a litlle here...So that we are all on the same page..

If anyone discusses this on another thread it seems as if they are arguing and they always stop out of fear of hijacking someone thread or fear of appearing like a troll..

I wanted to make a thread we we could just discus stuff like this and not feel like we are looking to start a fight.
Feell free to bring up whatever bothers you..
this is informal..admin has nothing to do with it ( i hope u are ok with this admin)
Just the way i have noticed some things go lately i thought we could use a controled, informal discussion like this..just as a reminder

This is not to pick on anyone or single anyone out..but its good if we are all on the same page..what etiquete, unwritten rules, what is ok and what isnt..
We should be able to discus this freely and friendly and open while remaining respectfull..

I am not in control of this by any means..noone is, I have opinions just like everyone else..but everyone represents themselfs
Whatever conclusions we collectively come to i hope we all make an effort to follow it as suppliments to our rules and i hope we all make an effort to listen to everyones opinions.

SO feel free to say whatever is on your mind...absoluteley everyones opinion counts

Since i started this il go first ..

Respecting other members tastes and likes..
...that should go without saying ...flamenco means different things to many different people...if they want your opinion they will ask you...its fine to make suggestions respectfully but not to try and force your views on someone.....or to plain out dissmiss another member's taste or opinion....that leads to nothing but arguments..

Just because some members dont chose to confront you and back off to avoid an argument dosent mean its ok to do it..

This is so eazy to fix..all a member has to aknolodge when making statements about anything or anyone is IMO ( In my own opinion ) or "for me"
but dont abuse it..remain respectful to the fact that this member likes this artist at all times...u can like someone and expres that without the need to put another down to do it.

Theres nothing more annoying than 1 person pretending to talk facts and telling you "HOW it is"...
Noone is stupid here and noone is a litlle kid..I think we are all aware by now that most things ...and expecially involving art and flamenco are subjective..

We are all aware that 1 mans opinion is just that..even if you friends or the group you hang out with feel the same....it just insults your intelligence.

Only stupid people know everything.

thats all i have for now...feel free to bring up other things that you think are important and should be respected...or discuss mine...whatever this thread is yours..

I made the post here so noone can rate anyones opinion and creating a fake illusion that its irrelevant...everything everyone has to say its relevant..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 7:17:05

michel

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to Florian

good idea flo, thank you very much

i'd like to share my opinions about the foro:
as a non-native english-speaker (writer!!!) i have some difficulties interacting with other members because i'm not able to answer quickly and spontaneously to express my opinions and feelings, but i try my very best, and i'm really interested in other members posts. it would be nice for us non-native speakers if less slang was used :-)

gj michelob changed his avatar and put his foto, i appreciate it very much, it's personal and since then i tend to pay more attention to his post, because i have a "link". i also put a foto of me in my HNOS SANCHIS LOPEZ thread, to be less anonymous. as ron said writing were you come from is also helpful.

at last an idea about the upload section: it would be nice to encourage beginners (like me) to upload their stuff and discussing it with the apropriate criterias, and not being to serious...

i hope the foro will still b e a place for humour and funny stories

so long everybody
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 8:42:33

henrym3483

i think if most people treated each other as they would in real life, most issues would not arise. it is because we are all behind keyboards in my view some times things get over-heated, tensions rise, ego's and self esteem get battered etc.

right on with the mutual respect for each others tastes.

ps uploaded profile photo so ye call all see me ugly oirish gob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 8:44:22

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to henrym3483

quote:

as a non-native english-speaker (writer!!!) i have some difficulties interacting with other members because i'm not able to answer quickly and spontaneously to express my opinions and feelings, but i try my very best, and i'm really interested in other members posts. it would be nice for us non-native speakers if less slang was used :-)

you are right...sometimes i tend to forghet that...thats a credit to all of you guys who live in a non english speaking country...Yet you are able to come here and comunicate in English as well as you do...its incrediblle how good your english is.....I know i couldnt communicate as well on your language..

sometimes its hard to leave the slang out just because it comes out without notecing since you use it everyday...but il try and be more concious of it..

However even if English is the language used here we fully understand this is a international forum...so dont ever feel self concious about making mistakes or asking someoneone to explain something you dont understand...not for a second.

Its nothing to be shy about...the oposite..we take it for granted but you guys really make an effort...much respect to you.

quote:

at last an idea about the upload section: it would be nice to encourage beginners (like me) to upload their stuff and discussing it with the apropriate criterias, and not being to serious...

We have always tried to encourage that here...but u are right ..we could always be more open..

fell free to go into details of what you would like to see or what we could do to make it more comfortable for beginners to upload theyr audios.

thank you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 8:54:34

Stu

The "slang" thing is a good point. Slang is exactly that and varies from place to place and 1 Englishman may not even understand another Englishmans slang, so I can understand how you must feel.

I use it a lot with friends but try to omit it on the foro.

but please don't be afraid to ask if there is some thats used and you don't get it. I would do.

a pic of the member is great but a pic of anything is a close second... I dont like the ones that are just blank...

Nice to see your picture back Henry, I can't seem to changed mine.. I just get "error saving file to disk" its the right size and everything.
Any advice?

Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 9:02:03

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to henrym3483

quote:

i think if most people treated each other as they would in real life, most issues would not arise. it is because we are all behind keyboards in my view some times things get over-heated, tensions rise, ego's and self esteem get battered etc.

agreed...

quote:

ps uploaded profile photo so ye call all see me ugly oirish gob

i think thats excellent...its so much harder to pretend that its not a real person that you are talking too..forces you to think a litlle harder about your words and actions imo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 9:02:38

Florian

quote:

I can't seem to changed mine.. I just get "error saving file to disk" its the right size and everything.
Any advice?

Stu

Henry many have that problem...is there anyway those that wish to change pics can upload the photo they wanna use here or email it to you (with the right size i cant remember the exact measurements is it 145 x 145 ) and everything and you can change it for them ?

I dont know ...can that be done ? I know Simon did it for me but is it eazy enough for you to do ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 9:06:15

Ron.M

Yup, I'd agree with your comments Flo.

On issues of Flamencology, I have nothing really to say....I learn from the Forum.

As to taste, yeah sometimes I do comment about stuff that I find overdone or over complicated just for it's own sake. (IMO of course ), but to me that's just like chatting or "arguing" with someone in a pub....I don't disrespect the person and don't expect it to turn into a fist fight for Christ's sake.

OK... I admit that sometimes I'm guilty of lighting the blue touch paper and running away and peeking out, just to see what happens.
But hopefully it's just to stimulate some views and conversation and not to start a punch up.

When it comes to technique, I tend to be blunt.
I'm just like that with all kinds of "factual" stuff, including Science and Engineering, even when talking face to face with someone.

Although I might not be able to play a fraction as well as a player I'm criticising, I've LISTENED to enough VERY GOOD players to be able to tell if something is not working technically....ie like the criticism of that good Tangos player's picado.
I didn't say it to put him down, more like just putting into words what was going through my head at the time.

I never mind any technical criticism myself.
It's not like someone is saying you've got a big nose or are ugly or something.
It's only technique, which should be something detached from the person, just like in Olympic running or playing pro level tennis.
A lot of coaches can't actually DO what they are asking others to do, but the know WHAT is wrong and can explain in fine detail, and IMO you are best just cutting to the chase and coming out with it rather than pussyfooting around with sugar coated stuff which in the long run is not actually helping the person really see what the problem is.

At the end of the day nobody needs to go nuts about anything.
It's only an Internet Forum and there are heaps of more worrying REAL issues which affect us in the real world surely?

Anyway...

Peace and Love and all that good sh*t.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 9:24:36

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to Ron.M

Ron this post is not inspired by anything you said..you always say IMO... and are always respectful of other peoples opinions..i never found a problem with that ...( well u know unles we argued directly to eachother lol)

and i am not refering to once in a blue moon...i am gulty of everything bad once in a while lol we are human...and sometimes i enjoy a good argument too..discussing difference of opinions thats fine...but if its a discussion let it be a discussion...read what the other person says too before you replie...dont just come back and when he desagrees with you you throw back a 3 line insult or dissmising comment like " you dont know what you talking about" or "i wipe my a*s with your opinion"

You cannot have a discussion with a person that has his walls up and nothing gets though.

I am not talking about incidents i am talking about habbits..

there are other ocasions that came to mind (and are reocuring way too often in a period of a very small time..and if its like this now...whats it going to be like in a year ?) theres no need to go use names or point fingers..( but i think by now its safe to asume that most of us know what incidents i am talking about)....i just hope that if we talk about it its out on the table..and everyone can vote on it...and if someone is doing it i hope he respects what we all agree too.

i dont want someone to be confused by the fact that some people back off to avoid arguments for the freedoom to continue to force his opinions on them or others..

its not everyman for himself...its everyman for the good of the entire forum and everyone in it..just because some are quiet or nonconfuntational or not confident enough to make themselfs heard dosent mean we have to allow theyr opinions to be stamped on.

quote:

On issues of Flamencology, I have nothing really to say

I have nothing on that either ( i have personal opinions) but i prefer to hear it rather than read it..however people can talk about it as much as they want...but should exercise the etiquete while discussing it....id hate for disrepect to become an accepted form here..

We have all seen forums where people abuse and insult and disrespect eachother that its like a circus..its fine to kid around, joke even argue...but we can do it respectfully.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 9:30:37

mark indigo

quote:

its fine to make suggestions respectfully but not to try and force your views on someone.....or to plain out dissmiss another member's taste or opinion

i agree x10

quote:

Theres nothing more annoying than 1 person pretending to talk facts and telling you "HOW it is"...
Noone is stupid here and noone is a litlle kid

i agree x100

quote:

i think if most people treated each other as they would in real life, most issues would not arise.

i agree with this too, my rule of thumb is to try not to say anything that i wouldn't say to someone's face.... i did say "try"!

quote:

so dont ever feel self concious about making mistakes or asking someoneone to explain something you dont understand...not for a second.

Its nothing to be shy about...the oposite..we take it for granted but you guys really make an effort...much respect to you.

and this too, i just realised i used an idiom already "rule of thumb" it just means guideline, an approximate rule, not necessarily exact, but near enough.... will try not to use weird expressions like that, but PLEASE ask if you don't understand something

tried to put my birth year on the profile so anyone can see how old i am (39) but it wants the whole birthday and i didn't want to do that.... i don't want people i don't know drawing up my star chart and weird stuff like that (it happens!)

will try and get a picture on here.... it will probably be very cheesy (meaning corny) and give y'all a laff (er, that's a laugh in proper spelling)

quote:

Just because some members dont chose to confront you and back off to avoid an argument dosent mean its ok to do it..

i think there's a bit of a problem on the foro just now, and i'm choosing to challenge some of it, with that saying "evil prospers when the good do nothing" in my mind. i'm not trying to set myself up as some kind of hero good guy or anything, it's just that i feel moved to say something in response to some of this stuff.... and i've had some pm of support, so i guess there must be other people biting their tongues (ie keeping quiet). not sure if it's the right thing to do or the right way to go about it, but like i said, i feel moved to say something.... and i am trying to be polite (forum etiquette?)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 10:09:22

Florian

quote:

(forum etiquette?)

show off ...

quote:

i think there's a bit of a problem on the foro just now, and i'm choosing to challenge some of it, with that saying "evil prospers when the good do nothing" in my mind. i'm not trying to set myself up as some kind of hero good guy or anything, it's just that i feel moved to say something in response to some of this stuff.... and i've had some pm of support, so i guess there must be other people biting their tongues (ie keeping quiet). not sure if it's the right thing to do or the right way to go about it, but like i said, i feel moved to say something.... and i am trying to be polite

I know...it was your incident and the last replie to you that just made me have to say something...(made me wonder how far is this going to go a year from now ?)..there needs to be a discusion or reminder or some kind of agreement of Forum Etiquette.

thats why i made this thread..to give everyone a chance to discuss it without taking over someone elses thread and also if anyone else whats to talk about anything else too.

Everyone should get a chance to be heard

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 10:33:10

mark indigo

quote:

(forum etiquette?)

show off ...

if i succeed in staying polite, then i'll really have something to show off about!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 11:02:19

srshea

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to Florian

First of all, I’m in full agreement with everything that’s been mentioned here so far. I’m a chronic door-holder-opener and I always address elderly folks as “sir” and “ma’am”, so politeness and etiquette are pretty important to me. I’m also a strong advocate of healthy, vigorous debate, even argument, so long as it remains within the bounds of a mutually shared respect between all parties involved, and it’s definitely nice when all of the above works together harmoniously and we get a nice active place where all sorts of ideas and opinions start flying around but nobody gets their eye poked out.

I’ve mentioned before that this is the only forum I’ve ever taken part in, and so my frame of reference is a bit limited, but I think the Foro on the whole works very, very well in its set-up, administration, and in the overall manner in which its members going about putting the thing to use. But I do have one idea I’d like to float, as it touches on some of the stuff being addressed here and might be useful in keeping the emotional tone of the Foro operating healthily:

The rating system: always been my least favorite aspect of the Foro. When someone posts something that’s really helpful and informative and very positive, or when someone bravely uploads some of their own playing, then it’s nice to be able to give them “five stars” in acknowledgement of their contribution. But the whole “negative star” thing is generally unhelpful and I think fosters a very unpleasant, corrosive atmosphere at times. There are some definitely some lousy posts out there that are certainly deserving of some sort of thumbs-down, but I think in the end the negative star rating hurts more than it helps. I think it can too easily be used as a passive aggressive means of getting into a tussle with someone without being up front about it, and that sort of communication style generally doesn’t have good results. A lot of the time it just operates as a sort of neon sign, drawing everybody’s attention to the fact that some sort of trouble’s brewing. It’s like someone yelling “Fight! Fight!” in the school yard, and we all come running. At its worst it just devolves into a couple of folks negatively rating each other’s posts, not as a response to the actual content of the posts, but because they’re hashing out some personal grievances.

And the spectrum of the “-2” to “+2”, one to five star rating thing, is also confusing. That three-star “zero” rating seems like the ultimate in passive aggression. When I see that one I always get a queasy feeling and I see it as being worse than one star.

So, just some thoughts. I know that the rating system is a function of the Foro’s software, and I don’t know to what extent it can or cannot be changed, but my own modest-proposal opinion would be that the ideal rating scenario would either be to have a system whereby one can give some kind of thumbs-up to a helpful post, or to have no rating system at all.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 12:29:59

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to srshea

yes but my score is 118 ...cant we wait until it starts to decrease ?

i hate the -2 but i like the +2

later when you get enough u can exchange it for the flamenco gisfshop voucher

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 12:55:36

srshea

I'm actually just jealous 'cause I only have a few points and I wanna take everyone else's away!

And still I have no gift basket.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 13:07:18

srshea

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to michel

Michel,

The language thing is a good point, and I know I’m certainly guilty of using language that might at times be obscure to a non-native English speaker. I’ve always been a big fan of slang and idioms (I used to read through old-time slang dictionaries when I was a kid.), and in my speech and writing I’ve always enjoyed mixing informal, idiomatic language with formal “King’s English”. And I swear like a sailor in person, but that doesn’t really fly around here (see, I can’t stop!). These are some pretty ingrained habits for me, but I will try to be mindful of the informal language issue in the future. And I also have to say that I’m regularly impressed with the level that so many second-languagers are able to operate on around here. I’m really glad English is my first language, because by all accounts, it’s a tough one to learn. But, also, think of it this way: not only do you get to learn all about flamenco here, but you also get an education in all kinds American, English, Irish , etc regionalisms and idioms! I’m a native-speaker, and a bit of a language-nerd ,and even I still come across stuff that’s new to me all the time, when Ron or someone comes by with some crazy Scottish slang I’ve never heard before.

Also, as someone who doesn’t really chat or communicate via the web all that much, I’ve never really cottoned on to the whole smiley thing (“cottoned on to” is today’s lesson in idiomatic English: means get used to, take a liking to, get comfortable using, etc. “Cottoned to” is also acceptable). I tend to have a very dry sense of humor, and I like to think that I’m clever enough in my jesting that my jokes will be understood and appreciated as the brilliant pearls of wit that I feel them to be, but well, I can imagine that that’s not always the case.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 13:09:12

Estevan

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to srshea

quote:

I'm actually just jealous 'cause I only have a few points and I wanna take everyone else's away!

I would have given you two points right then and there, just to help you out, but it can't be done on this thread.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 13:29:26

Exitao

I don't care if people want to debate or argue. As long as they attack ideas and not people.

Part of the problem is that we don't quote or make it clear enough who we're talking to enough. Obviously, the "in reply to" think isn't worth much.

Sometimes, with so many ideas going on in one thread, it makes it hard to know what someone is referring to, especially when someone else's post is posted while you're typing yours, so now it's not as obvious who they're replying to if they don't quote, so short responses can get confusing.

• remember, we can't read minds
  • make it clear who you're talking to
  • make it clear what you're talking about (i.e. the topic/subject)
  • make sure other people can understand you
  • make it clear if you're joking
  • treat people the way you want them to treat you

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 14:26:39

ToddK

quote:

Feell free to bring up whatever bothers you..

Hypocrisy

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 14:43:22

henrym3483

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to ToddK

quote:

Hypocrisy

insightful
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 15:16:58

HemeolaMan

In a typical descartes style I say

"Question those who claim to have perfect knowledge"

In other words, there are some members here who claim to be experts, and yet for all their expertise, show no qualification whatsoever.

Don't let them get away with it.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 18:28:25

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

Hypocrisy

sorry man i got no idea what or who you are talking about..

if you got a genuine concern feel free to use this thread to bring it up..but u have to talk cause none of us can read minds..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 20:16:47

michel

RE: Forum Etiquete (in reply to srshea

quote:

but please don't be afraid to ask if there is some thats used and you don't get it. I would do.

Hi Stu, thanks for help, next time i'll do so

quote:

think of it this way: not only do you get to learn all about flamenco here, but you also get an education in all kinds American, English, Irish , etc regionalisms and idioms! I’m a native-speaker, and a bit of a language-nerd ,and even I still come across stuff that’s new to me all the time, when Ron or someone comes by with some crazy Scottish slang I’ve never heard before.

totally agreed - i think it's better for me to learn about flamenco AND english, than only learn about flamenco:-) it's a chance for me to enlarge my horizon and get cottoned on caracteristics of the different english-speaking countries, i learned a lot since i logged in for the first time, that's also helpful in my daily life, imagine, before beeing member here, i wasn't able to write one sentence in english (i didn't use it at all after the school). Most of the time it's a pleasure reading idoms and trying to guess what can be meant, it 's only a problem when the posts are very long (and we had very long posts these days :-)
thank you all for your support and comprehension
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2009 23:47:45

Pimientito

This is a good time to bring up this subject . Its clear that most of you guys are being polite. I want to address a specific issue
WHAT DOES A MEMBER HAVE TO DO TO GET BANNED FROM THE FORUM?

Can someone please explain the rules here because I for one and fed up of some of the recent behaviour by certain members here.

If admin tells a member to shut up on a vindictive theme and they ignore it and continue to write pages more on the same vindictive theme, continually attacking forum members personally, with no repremand...it will just continue.

We have recently had posts (which while informative) have at best been rude and condescending......to downright narcisistic and aggressive. There have also been insinuations of physical violence and posts that COULD be construed as threatening. If this behaviour is not repremanded then frankly we have a forum where there is absolutley no policing at all and everyone can say and do what they want.

We have a situation now where at least 2 respected forum members will no longer post for fear of being immediately attacked. This has nothing to due with any viewpoint but simply personal vendettas against the members themselves.

I think this is a very sad situation that anyone can come onto the forum and bully other members off it, can threaten other members, can ignore requests by admin, and can be as obnoxious and condescending as humanly possible with impunity

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 0:24:49

edguerin

Hear, hear!
I agree with just about everything said so far.

I still haven't understood the rating scheme. Where do the -2 or +2 or whatever appear?

As to the language, I too am a native speaker (or at least was "born and raised" with English). But not speaking English on a daily basis for the last 30 some years has had a detrimental effect. My slang - when I use it - is more or less what srshea used to look up when he was a kid

cheers all

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 0:59:52

koella

Great..I missed all the fun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 1:11:50

Florian

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to edguerin

quote:

I still haven't understood the rating scheme. Where do the -2 or +2 or whatever appear?

At the right bottom of each members comment " Rate this Post"...but u cant see it here in the off topic section because its set up so that anyone can discus whatever they wish without fear of getting a bad rating because of it..

quote:

I think this is a very sad situation that anyone can come onto the forum and bully other members off it, can threaten other members, can ignore requests by admin, and can be as obnoxious and condescending as humanly possible with impunity

i know what you are saying ...thats one of the reasons i started this thread..not to get him banned but to try and come to some sort of agreement like adults hopefully..to give him a chance to see how others feel about it...because clearely its not working like this...the way I see it the way things have been moving ...he will either get himself banned, or alienate most people.

I cant speak for admin..i am sure they know what they doing...
I kind of like the fact that we get the oportunity to atleast be able to say we gave him a chance we tried..(but thats just me just one vote afteral i wasent the one the ones directly insulted...each can decide for themselfs ).weather admin bans him or not dosent matter cause if you upset too many people in a certain forum nobody can save you from beeing alienated..

but as far as we some of the members are concerned we are not just sitting back and allowing it to happen...hence this thread....we are making ourselfs heard

weather this works or not..I dont know its up to him...but atlist there can be no complaints after..we can say we remained fair, told him how we feel, he was given the oportunity to fitt in with us.

At least we tried...a couple of members pmed me and told me i am too forghiving ..thats not the case..I am not doing it for him..purely selfish reasons..piece of mind....regardless what happens atlist i can tell myself that as far as i am concerned he had an equal chance to anyone but chose not to take it..

and the reference to the phisical violence you mention made me sick to my stomack too btw...i couldnt belive my eyes what i was reading and i couldnt belive it was here on our forum..however if i remember correctly someone asked him what happened and the story came out in the answer...it dosent make it right i know but technically he was just answering a question.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 2:16:43

Stu

Everyone block people who are being offensive!! green button at the top of picture area.

I just did it to a certain member.

quote:

Yeah agreed, I've been a member of a facebook flamenco group for ages but never use it.
Irked with this forum, (parts of it) today I decided to check it out..... and to my absolute stupification. Jacinto is there too and his most recent thread is a carbon copy of what he's doing here!!!!!

I'm expecting him to turn up at my door like a Jehovahs witness and start telling me what's flamenco and whats not.

I deleted my angry rant from last night, but I'm feeling it all again now.

I know people are trying to be polite in their replies to him but... seriously,,, its like trying to put a fire out by squirting it with a water pistol!! we need to get a massive fire hose and spray this guy with gallons of water!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 3:49:11

Kate

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

We have a situation now where at least 2 respected forum members will no longer post for fear of being immediately attacked. This has nothing to due with any viewpoint but simply personal vendettas against the members themselves.

Well said Pimiento. I stopped posting when I was told that my posts could be considered goading, that somehow simply by speaking up and defending someone I was adding fuel to the fire. I had had to watch a good friend and respected flamenco being insulted and slandered and read a load of bull about how it was in Spain from some-one who appeared to know nothing. Of course I had to defend my friend but I would have defended anyone under these circumstances. I was waiting for some-one to stand up and say enough, this has gone far enough and wont be tolerated. Jacinto even crowed that he would continue to retaliate whenever her name was mentioned. Without doubt this is the work of a bully. Estela also read these posts and made a decision not to post for fear the forum would just spontanously combust into acrimony and vitriol. Quite frankly we both have better things to be doing with our lives.

"Amser, boneddigion. Amser, diolch yn fawr"

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 5:16:57

Ron.M

RE: Forum Etiquette (in reply to Pimientito

Well, if an obvious Troll appears with no real Flamenco interest and starts slagging off folk, they get banned more or less straight away.
Them and serial spammers and folk who are regularly drunk and disorderly or obscene.

Folk who others find "annoying"?......well before you can get annoyed by what somebody says, you have got to LET it annoy you IMO.

If someone wants to stand up and make an arse of themselves in public and cause folk to lose respect for them, then that's their call.
I'm not their Mommy or Daddy.

It takes at least two to keep an argument going.
If everybody walks away then the person is left ranting and arguing with himself in the dark like a loony.

Nobody is forced to converse with anyone here.

If then, someone starts to butt into ongoing threads with a view to causing disruption, they will be asked to stop, followed by a warning, then finally withdrawal of their posting privileges.

Grossly indecent or threatening PMs sent to others through this Forum will also not be tolerated.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2009 6:07:09
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll