Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Sustain   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

krichards

RE: Sustain (in reply to constructordeguitarras

Yes I'm referring to spruce soundboards here Ethan.
I understand that, generally, cedar tops might be thicker because cedar is usually less dense and less stiff

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2016 14:55:10

Echi

RE: Sustain (in reply to krichards

Conde, Sanchis and similar "modern" flamenco guitars (I suppose Pena Vargas, Jeronimo Perez etc. can be named as well) have a thick top (la tapa gorda, as they say) but usually a top with very few doming, large plantilla and a very low main transverse bar.
I took some measures of a good Conde blanca (Felipe V) and in that case the top thickness was 2.7 mm.
This couldn't work if the guitar box wasn't weakened here and there.

Regarding the thread I totally agree with the message of Andy Culpepper.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2016 17:51:49

constructordeguitarras

RE: Sustain (in reply to estebanana

Stephen, I'm trying to understand how a thick top could work. Parallel braces makes sense to me because I would think that, were it not necessary to keep the soundboard from collapsing under string tension, one could go with a thick top and no bracing. Parallel braces would keep the top from collapsing but maybe not dampen the soundboard as fanned-out braces might (?)

When you say "high angle cutoff braces," are you referring to the harmonic bars which go cross-grain above and below the sound hole? If so, does "angle" refer to the cross section of the brace, the scallop of the ends, or...?

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2016 22:50:38

Stephen Eden

Ethan it could perhaps be low density not to stiff spruce. So they needed to keep it thicker to stay within there stiffness guidelines. This is where Anders should jump in and say pay no attention to the plans thickness just go with what the wood tells you!

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2016 8:28:58

estebanana

RE: Sustain (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

Ethan it could perhaps be low density not to stiff spruce. So they needed to keep it thicker to stay within there stiffness guidelines. This is where Anders should jump in and say pay no attention to the plans thickness just go with what the wood tells you!

And to that I would add stiff bridge, wide plantilla and glue blocks that don't encroach too much upon the inner rim. Make the glue blocks or liner on the thin side for less of the classical singing sustain.

The goal is to get a top which is not flabby when braced and glued to the rim, that has the right amount of play between the edges of the lower bouts and the wings of the bridge. The top can be naturally flexible if it has a stiff bridge and good braces. I have observed in my building that thicker tops with a lot of brace support, and a not so wide plantilla make guitars with singing sustain. While thick tops with wider bouts and less structure are more flamenco....very generally speaking.

I think bridge has also do so with it, but very hard to quantify in some way you can talk about it. The difference between thick top and wide plantilla and very supported top, thick with less lower bout width is relational. Wider lower bouts seem to give more breathing space for thicker tops.

The bridge stiffness, top flexibility and lower bout width all play carefully making thicker tops work. The bridge is a brace and on wide plantillas and narrower ones too, I feel that is an important part.

I have thought very carefully along about bridge stiffness and that study has made a big difference in how to shape sound with some predictability. The top thickness bridge working together are super important, the bridge is not just a hunk of wood, it has a to do with sustain and voice.

Thinking globally over the whole guitar, the neck seems very important, but thinking locally the top, and bridge match is more salient to th esustain conversation. To my way of seeing it anyway.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2016 10:33:46

Echi

Of course the stiffness/mass ratio and the flexibility on both the directions say many more things than the mere thickness as Anders pointed out. It could be said: the 2 parameters are in relation and therefore you need to know both the parameters (stiffness and thickness) to understand the plan the maker had in is mind.

Nonetheless I'd like to stress a different aspect: nowadays are around 2 prevalent models of flamenco guitars: the Conde style guitar and the traditional model. The first model often has a thick top while the second one does not.
According to me at this stage it's not anymore a matter of industrial made guitars or artisanal made guitars, but instead a different aesthetic of sound: you find people who like just the thick, sassy sound, powerful but with poor dinamical range of the Conde style guitars or instead people who like more the traditional flamenco sound.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2016 10:43:30

constructordeguitarras

Thanks for your thoughts, Stephen, Stephen, and Echi.

I have a book on historical lute construction (THE book) and I'm thinking about the puny bridges on lutes, which have the least sustain....

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2016 13:34:38

estebanana

quote:

I have a book on historical lute construction (THE book) and I'm thinking about the puny bridges on lutes, which have the least sustain....

I think you could make a lute that had long sustain in the basses, but probably not the trebles so lutes are built to show the gut treble strings to best advantage. Some of the bigger lutes have a lot of sustain quality. The six course lutes from the mid Reniassance are usually 60cm scale tuned in G like guitar with capo on third fret and G string lowered one half step. Even those lutes can have a lot of bass sustain, but I think they are built to take advantage of the attack and decay to make it sound like a swelling and dying. Lute players say the sound 'blossoms' and they try to take advantage of that swelling an decay by letting it hang in the air. Baroque lutes really do have some courses that can ring for along time, the lower courses can sustain for a long time.

I would be careful about a direct correlation between bridge length and sustain in thinking of lute bring as a model for guitar. Different structure and ways to voice it. If you want to build one let me know, I now a bit about it. I think the bridges are small because the whole system is proportional to the thinness of the to and the really small diameter of the strings.

There is one lesson lutes bridges show that is possible to think about for the guitar. That is in how much surface area it really takes to make a bridge to top glued connection. Lutes bridges are small and narrow and yet they hold the tension of a 13 course baroque lute, a six course Ren lute, a therobo with bass strings more than a meter long, all with the same basic bridge design. The bridge is always narrow but proportioned to the correct length to hold the strings a no more.

This tells me the guitar bridge is over built for a reason because a bridge with a much smaller footprint will successfully attach the strings to the top. I wager you could cut the wings off the Spanish guitar bridge and it would hold the strings to the top with no problem whatsoever. This indicates the bridge serves two functions:

1. Hold the strings to the top. It is over designed for this function alone.

2. Moderate the guitar voice according to how it is shaped, how the stiffness is distributed and how this interacts with the top. At some point the guitar structure used a more lute like bridge,then as the structure changed the bridge it was discovered needed to be longer to sound purpose.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2016 0:14:43

constructordeguitarras

quote:

I wager you could cut the wings off the Spanish guitar bridge and it would hold the strings to the top with no problem whatsoever.

Yes, I think that is an ukulele.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2016 0:18:54

Echi

The topic is very interesting to me for 2 reasons.
The main one is that I recently passed to the dark side ( the "thick top flamenco" side) after many years as I needed a guitar with more volume and a beefier sound. This made me change my mind regarding my guitar making style as well.
The second one is that I bought a lovely "thick top" Manzanero guitar with many features related to the present topic, which I'm studying: incredible sustain, atypical bridge (lute like, with short wings) and "wrong" bracing pattern (if compared with the typical bracing pattern of this kind of guitars).
The Condes as the Manzanero and th Sanchis are all built with individual peones touching each other.
Here I come to the sustain: this guitar has a long (and large) underbridge patch which somehow icrease the sustain for the reason explained by Andy above. In my uderstanding that patch makes the guitar top thicker exactly in the area where the dipole works (and the shorter bridge doesn't help the pumping.
Ever compared the bracing of the flamenco Condes with their classical models? Same bracing pattern and top thickness, with the difference of a long underbridge patch.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2016 7:03:32

Dave White

The sound/timbre of the lute also has a lot to do with the position of the bridge on the soundboard - pretty much at the back close to the end block rather in the centre of the behind soundhole to tailblock area of a classical/flamenco guitar. This will also impact the structural design of the bridge with more support from the rim and a narrower soundboard width. I'm not an expert on this as I've only made one lute:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Dave White
De Faoite Stringed Instruments
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2016 10:00:39

Anders Eliasson

RE: Sustain (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

This is where Anders should jump in and say pay no attention to the plans thickness just go with what the wood tells you!

OMG.... 2nd time in one thread that what I write and mean is just reduced to respectless crap like this.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 7:36:44

estebanana

I think he was making a joke. That dry British humor just goes over everyone else's heads.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 8:29:19

Stephen Eden

Haha, Re read it Anders. The is no intention of malice in what I wrote. It was respectful humor. After all that is something you always say when someone is asking about sound board thickness it it not?

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 9:15:45

estebanana

Objection Sustained!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 10:20:28

jshelton5040

RE: Sustain (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

quote:

This is where Anders should jump in and say pay no attention to the plans thickness just go with what the wood tells you!

OMG.... 2nd time in one thread that what I write and mean is just reduced to respectless crap like this.

Anders,
Is this your imitation of Rodney Dangerfield?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 13:23:40

Anders Eliasson

who is Rodney Dangerfield?

I do say other things than just that when talking about soundboard thickness and there are many others saying the same as I do. I didnt invent anything when it comes to guitarmaking.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 15:40:04

sig

https://youtu.be/DODvxqkUlac
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 16:21:37

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

who is Rodney Dangerfield?

An American comedian who frequently ended jokes with "I don't get no respect".

Try not to be so serious Anders. Life is short and its good to be able to laugh at ourselves occasionally. I meant no disrespect in my earlier statement.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 17:08:47

RobJe

Just catching up with this interesting thread.

The original question was about how to reduce sustain – this is luthier business.

In the discussion two further issues were raised.

(1) What do we mean by sustain? If luthiers and flamenco guitarists talk to each other this is everyone’s business.
(2) What amount of sustain do flamenco guitarists want? This is the business of flamenco guitarists (many luthiers are also players so it is their business as well.)

These are important questions but they are difficult to discuss. This is partly because we don’t have a shared understanding of the language used. Another problem is that we don’t have access to the same experiences. Imagine all the contributors to this thread being able to sit in a room with a dozen or so different guitars, passing them round, playing them and talking about them. We might get somewhere then. Dreams!

I agree with Stephen that the issue is not simply about how rapidly a note decays. I am interested in his terms “controlled supported sustain” and “loose unsupported sustain” but I could not be sure if we would use them in the same way. When I play a guitar long enough to get to know it and adjust my playing to get the best I can out of it I think of how “dry” it is. I suppose the opposite should be “wet”.

Accepting that recorded music cannot tell the whole story about a guitar the famous bulerias recording by a young Tomatito shows something of what I think of as “dry” – perhaps ultra-dry!

The guitar is an old style Conde – possibly 60s, not a modern thick top one.

Sticking with Tomatito, he has now moved quite a long way from this in his choice of guitars – normally a Reyes but occasionally a Manuel Bellido early 90’s as in this 2014 video.

From my own experience of playing them, Reyes and Bellido are typically “wetter” - more modern recordings are less reliable guides because of fx. I don’t know how much Tomatito’s choice is influenced by his current repertoire.

So here’s the bottom line for me. If had the strength and speed of Tomatito I would be happy with a very dry guitar to play unamplified. Sadly, as a mere mortal I need something wetter and louder. With amplification it is a different story. I played a modern thick topped (2003) Felipe V Conde for about 6 months – nice pulsación, perfect balance across strings, dryish and not very loud. It behaved well in front of the mic and of course could be made as loud as you like and shaped and coloured to taste. Why did I abandon it? I didn’t earn my living from playing the guitar so I wanted something that was more fun.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 18:18:16

Ricardo

RE: Sustain (in reply to RobJe

Better to compare with at least some of the same falsetas:
Ramirez

Reyes

Reyes and Conde are both midrangy and dry, Ramirez deeper (a bit more sustain from bass notes) but still pretty dry. IMO.

He defiantly has to play the Conde harder than the other two to get that sound. Or at least he CAN play it super hard and it sounds great. Blind test it would be hard to say which guitar is which IMO. But, my ear tells me that the Conde he used for those live albums with Camaron (nuestro), the Ramirez for his first solo album (Rosas del Amor), and the Reyes would probably be used on his last albums (since 2003 obviously).

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 19:16:33

constructordeguitarras

RE: Sustain (in reply to Ricardo

Just looking at this video I find it so hard to believe that the soundboard of this Conde is as thick as 3 mm. The edge of the sound hole....

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 20:30:05

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: constructordeguitarras

Just looking at this video I find it so hard to believe that the soundboard of this Conde is as thick as 3 mm. The edge of the sound hole....

You can email Brune about his 67 Conde, he can get you thicknesses all over the top. Photos show the sticks are pretty shallow. I would assume it is a similar build. All I can say is that when I shine the light in the sound hole to see the brace pattern (I have a 73), it SEEMS pretty thick compared to other guitars that are a lot more translucent.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 21:16:23

RobJe

quote:

I find it so hard to believe that the soundboard of this Conde is as thick as 3 mm

I don't know the date of the Conde in the video I posted but it looks pretty beaten up with repaired cracks in the ribs and finish on the front that looks like its been trampled on with very big boots. My guess is early 70s at the earliest. I think that very thick tops are a more recent phenomenon. I have a 65 Conde and it is not nearly as heavily built as the modern ones.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 22:31:27

Andy Culpepper

I have a 2001 top end Conde Negra in the shop right now and I was surprised by how thick/stiff the top is. Plus those massive braces going up through the lower harmonic bar. Very heavy overall. By all the rules of guitar making, these things should sound terrible. I haven't tried it with fresh strings yet so I reserve judgement on this particular one, but the pulsation is very stiff. Although the notes did jump out in a very immediate way.

My first flamenco guitar was a severely overbuilt blanca, under the name Francisco Solera, in the $1000 range.

It required a very strong technique, and lacked volume so much that it was embarrassing whenever I compared it to my teacher's guitar.

But, when I recorded with it, lo and behold it sounded amazing. It was very dry in that it lacked harmonics/overtones, which made it sound very focused and fundamentally supported on the recording. I think that is one of the great strengths of Condes and "Madrid style" guitars in general, although I think I and most other luthiers don't like building in that style.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2016 23:20:58

constructordeguitarras

RE: Sustain (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Curioser and curioser.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2016 0:59:49

Sr. Martins

Seems like we're heading to the conclusion that the Conde magic is about heavy classical guitars with a low saddle.

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2016 1:11:25

estebanana

RE: Sustain (in reply to RobJe

The reason Conde's have robust thick tops is because it is easier to build a successful guitar with crappy wood if you leave a soft punky top thicker. It's not mystery.

The factory guitar are not being made with high grade wood so to hedge against product defect make the top thick. It also happens to generally make a certain kind of voice, with the right bridge.
It is not that difficult to make Conde' sound, but why bother to build like that when the customer can simply buy a Conde?

quote:

1) What do we mean by sustain? If luthiers and flamenco guitarists talk to each other this is everyone’s business.
(2) What amount of sustain do flamenco guitarists want? This is the business of flamenco guitarists (many luthiers are also players so it is their business as well.)

These are important questions but they are difficult to discuss. This is partly because we don’t have a shared understanding of the language used. Another problem is that we don’t have access to the same experiences. Imagine all the contributors to this thread being able to sit in a room with a dozen or so different guitars, passing them round, playing them and talking about them. We might get somewhere then. Dreams!

I agree with Stephen that the issue is not simply about how rapidly a note decays. I am interested in his terms “controlled supported sustain” and “loose unsupported sustain” but I could not be sure if we would use them in the same way. When I play a guitar long enough to get to know it and adjust my playing to get the best I can out of it I think of how “dry” it is. I suppose the opposite should be “wet”.

An example of what I think is loose and floppy would be if you look up Hamza el Din on YouTube and find his album 'Escalay' and listen to the bass note drone he plays. He is an oudi but I think you know that.

Hamzas oud bass notes are perfect to illustrate a bass that drones on and on, even 5hough that is not a guitar, a good model sound.

Supported sustain would be more like a recording of Segovia playing his famous Hauser. A different envelope of bass sound with a different rate of decay, slightly shorter, but bass that has a colorful overtone shine. Or any Fleta or other heavy braced guitar that sings like an old timey Italian Tenor or Baritone with eco and clarity.

Do those examples pardon the pun, resonate with you?

When I think about beautiful treble sound I also usually don't think about guitars as a model, I think of soprano singers Like Bidu Sayao who was a great singer. The Bachianas Braziliera #5 for soprano and eight celli was written for her.

When looking for sound ideals in sustain and voice I find myself going outside the guitar world terms and examples because I find them sonically incestuous. Guitars all sound like other guitars, more difficult to get a bearing on what sound I am thinking about. I switched to thinking about guitar sound quality in terms of flamenco singers and opera singers. Mostly older ones from early or mid 20th century.

If you listen to sopranos, baritones and tenors you get the whole range. Opera singers are good to compare sustain and overtone qualities and flamenco singers are the metallic eco in a dry flamenco guitar.

Once removed from comparing guitar on guitar you get a kind of other definition of sound. Like take four sopranos, Bidu Sayao, Elizabeth Schartzkopf,
Leontyne Price and Kirsten Flagstad. Ok ....I want Leontyne Price and Bidu Sayao trebles not the other two. Think most flamencos would Schartzkopf -Flagstad trebles, but I wan tmoslty Bidu Sayao and maybe throw in some Victoria de Los Angeles.

I know, I know complicated, but it has some kind of backwards flamenco logic if you can go there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2016 5:42:22

estebanana

At 1:00 you hear a two or three low bass drone note he hits under this singing and higher note playing. That is one kind of sustain In my mind.

You hear the first attack, a bit of decay which is rich an dhas over tones, then then a longer buzzing decay and finally a drop off and full decay. That kind of sustain, for lack of a better way to say feels more loose and 'unsupported'.

What do yo think?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2016 7:15:44

estebanana

Price in the famous Nile Scene of Aida. Her way of releasing a note and floating it sounds ideal to me for high register guitar sustain.

Sayao is a bit more dry, releases the note beautifully. Sopranos can one one thing guitars cannot do in sustain, that is ramp up volume as they sustain a note. if a guitar gives the impression of a dynamic that can go a bit higher in volume as the note releases it can be very effective, but that could also be cloying if it was out of control.

And hear that cello solo line in the cantilena, gorgeous old school playing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2016 7:38:26
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote