Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What colour Horse goes well with a white suit and a guitar ?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

What colour Horse goes well with a w... 

Ever had any strange gig requests ?

This Lady wanted to us for a private event in a White Marque..in this City Park at night but insists that i wear the white suit and we all enter on horseback...

I said 'No way !..we have principals as artists as musiceans..we have an obligation to be true to our art, we have a certain obligation to not cheapen it .." then she offered more money....so i said " well one litlle horsi couldnt hurt "

so now some of us..including ALo and the Singer will enter the Marque on horseback.( that's if you want ALO ).

Anyone ever riden a horse ? is this hard to do ? ...maybe il do a couple of laps around the park before i go in btw..this is where..the Marque will be where the lights are close to the water....I am sure City Lights/Car Traffic, and big crowd and horses in a confined space will be just fine...what could possibly go wrong also the tent is lit by Candles

Ps ..dont mention anything about horses on my facebook

Anyone ever had other crazy requests like this ?...I was asked once to put baby oil allover my body and wear studs...but that wasent a guitar gig..

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 4:44:08

gj Michelob

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to Florian

Nothing is as elegant as a white suit riding a “flea-bitten anglo-arabian” thoroughbred (grey). Three extremely critical tips: (i) Make sure the horsey you ride has drained all energy (meaning it had a good day of work), before you mount, but at the same time (ii) you must keep it alert, by applying some pressure with your legs (occasionally your heels), or else it will be startled by any sudden noise and you will find yourself playing falsetas “alla Hendrix” with your tongue; finally (iii) as you will both balance and command with your legs, make sure not to wear pants which have double-stitching on the side of your leg/knee which will touch the saddle (like ordinary blue-jeans do), or you will find bleeding wounds after the gig.

Also, ever noticed how cow-boys wear those leather over-pants? Your whaite pants will need serious dry cleaning after the fact.... if not replacement. So when negotiating the price of your servcies include health/life-insurance policy as well as possible cost to "repair or replace" guitar, suit, nose and teeth !!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 5:40:59

henrym3483

ive only gotten on horseback once, never again. i got freaked out by how fast they could go, and unlike the motorbike i felt i was in less control. i think i'll stick with the iron horse.

dude just make sure you've got a good grasp on the reigns.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:01:52

Florian

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to gj Michelob

Jeez you scaring me sounds like theres a litlle more to this horses

Whats that about double stiching ?!! i dont know do suit pants have double stiching ? how do I identifie it on my pants ?

quote:

finally (iii) as you will both balance and command with your legs

What exactly do you mean command ? dont i just say "Go"..and they just know what to do ?

quote:

Also, ever noticed how cow-boys wear those leather over-pants? Your whaite pants will need serious dry cleaning after the fact

serious ? why ? are horses really dirty ? i thought those leather things were just in the front..and it was to not burn pants if you droped your cigarette or ash in your lap...u know sometimes in the car that happens ...

The singer has never riden a horse either and I assured her that there's nothing to it..not a problem

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:03:50

henrym3483

quote:

serious ? why ? are horses really dirty ? i thought those leather things were just in the front..and it was to not burn pants if you droped your cigarette or ash in your lap...u know sometimes in the car that happens ...

leathers are to stop chaffing of your legs, cowboys really only have them ie long distances, so i doubt you will need them, however horses like the rest of us do sweat, and if its hot or they are running, they sweat alot and my jeans were slightly damp and smelly from the horse sweat.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:30:17

kovachian

Ride in on a horse? Wait lemme guess, they want you to be a Mexican outlaw right?

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:35:59

Pimientito

They are right Flo. A white suit is going to turn the same colour as the horse after you've ridden it. You are (presumably) going to have a saddle and stirrups though so the suit will just turn the colour of the saddle

quote:

Anyone ever riden a horse ? is this hard to do ? ...maybe il do a couple of laps around the park before i go in btw..this is where..the Marque will be where the lights are close to the water....I am sure City Lights/Car Traffic, and big crowd and horses in a confined space will be just fine...what could possibly go wrong also the tent is lit by Candles

You seriously said Yes to this request? Wow!! I assume you wont be playing the guitar on horseback as well....and youve never ridden a horse either? I strongly suggest you get a couple of riding lessons before the gig....even its just to practice getting on and off the horse. Its not easy and the horse will know if you know what you are doing or not. It sounds very romantic to have you coming onto a candle lit stage in a white suit on horseback but this could very turn into a flamenco meets keystone cops show. Make sure your horse is old, docile and castrated

Ive just seen the venue photo. Can you swim in a white suit?

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:41:24

Exitao

I would say "go with basic black." I mean there's a reason every smart woman has a 'little black dress' in her wardrobe.

But then again, black horse, white suit. Hair gets on suit... I doubt horses are as bad as cats, but they have thicker hair, ya know?

Considering what other people said about dirt, maybe a white horse. Then again, I've always liked the looks of Apaloosians (Clint Eastwood endorses them). I guess if it had nice white shaggy socks (or whatever they call them) it could match well with the suit.

Make sure you gets some pro quality photos done, you might be able to use them for an ad or even an album cover.

And yeah, get a couple lessons just to be safe. Taking a fall would not only be harmful to your dignity and the white suit, but physical injury could hamper your career. Of course, it would also give you much more time to upload tabs and loops for us, so do whatever you feel best about.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:49:35

Florian

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

You seriously said Yes to this request? Wow!!

Sure what the hell.. its an experience ..while i am finding the request loughable...I am a litlle excited...by the detail...the extent she wants to go..could you imagine what it takes to bring horses in the city ? the effort and approvals and plans she will need to get ? the money she will need to spend on transport..horse minders..etc.....lol .if shes willing to go trough all that for a 3 minute effect...i wanna see it...how many people can say they have riden a horse in the midlle of the city ?

for the right price il ride a crocodile in my principales are very flexible

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:50:13

Exitao

There's a broken image link in your original post Florian, could you add some text for the visually impaired?
Edit: Link works now, nevermind.

Pics of Appoaloosas:

Links to appaloosa pics too large for forum:

http://www.tobasai.com/wallpaper/page8/_Sweet%20Sir%20Vallant_,%20Appaloosa.jpg

http://www.jumpers-appaloosas.net/images/CurlyFoals/DigJump.jpg

Then again, there's actually an Andalusian breed of horse, which might be more appropriate:

LOL Here's basic black with white leggings:
Note the white saddle blanket which offsets the black and would help keep your white suit clean.

There are also 'painted' horses...

What colour is your guitar going to be? Got to consider that... And how are you going to carry it? I mean, if it's got a pick-up inside, you might have those doohickies for straps and you can sling it over your shoulder like a rifle (and I'll admit, a flamenco guitar is sexier than most of the rifles I've ever slung over my shoulder...), but otherwise, holding on to the guitarra and controlling the horse might be too much for you.

Definitely need to make it part of your deal to get the wedding photographer to take a few extra pics, or maybe bribe him/her yourself to take some before you enter the crowd. And make sure he gets pics if you fall too.
Post them for us to see, please. We want to share in your successes (take credit for them, really) and laugh at your failures.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:06:39

Florian

Thatsa kind of nice but in my vision i imagine it more like this

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:28:13

Exitao

Ah. Well.

It's always best to visualise what you want and share this vision with us so we can better help you. Once you've done this, I'll never be one to caution you with mere practicalities, I assure you.

I hear Roger Daltrey has a one day seminar on guitar-smashing. If you can get a couple polo lessons in too before the event, you'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:39:18

Florian

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to Exitao

I am sure it will be fine .... ...its not a wedding btw..its a wine launch

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:44:11

Exitao

Ah! Drunk, on the back of a horse, brandishing a guitar. Endless possibilities. You're a lucky man Florian.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 8:39:40

Pimientito

quote:

Ah! Drunk, on the back of a horse, brandishing a guitar. Endless possibilities.

...in a white suit, next to a lake, by candle light

Stop....please......I can't stop laughing.....owwww!!!

PS: request that the horses are Andalucian...It'll cost thousands

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 9:05:04

mark indigo

this is kinda hilarious.... and kinda cool too, i can see why you're going for it....

that advice about making sure the horse is old and docile, definately take it,

and make sure the horse is used to traffic and noise and lights and all, if they are used to it they will be fine, if not, mayhem....

also, get the horse handler, whoever is bringing the horse, who knows the horse and who the horse knows, have them lead the horse by a lead rein (that way it is extremely unlikely to rear up and throw you off, or make a run for it), i would seriously get that bit in the contract, if they have to wear a white suit, get that in there too, but have them lead/control the horse, or else don't do it. seriously.

an aquaintance had a white horse to ride to the church for her wedding, trained horse, used to doing weddings, threw her off. she walked into the church, but she was lucky not to be wheelchaired into the church, and she could have spent the rest of her life in it (the wheelchair i mean, not the church).....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 9:18:58

Pimientito

Heres how the Spanish ride them (well, the good ones anyway)

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 9:23:29

Pimientito

And for your finale

Dude...riding a horse for the first time is like riding a motorbike for the first time. I'm not sure that being dressed in a white suit and trying to look really cool with cameras and an audience etc. is the best time to be your first time on a horse with a guitar....but thats just me...an over cautious, yellow bellied, lily livered, whinging pomme

...oh yeah, and make sure your right hand is playing close to the bridge as well.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 9:28:09

Estevan

The white suit might not be such a great idea for horse riding, but at least they didn't ask you to wear pyjamas:

Attachment (1)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 10:10:49

Exitao

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

The white suit might not be such a great idea for horse riding, but at least they didn't ask you to wear pyjamas:

Hmmm... Bare back.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 10:52:54

Florian

Look at that !! if a chick with no pants can do it !! no satlle...no hands ...why would I worry ?

serious it will be ok ... besides i am going ask the older lady that sings if she wants to go first. ....if anything goes wrong... i wont go on the horse...

the concept is pretty simple...you jump on the back of something and hold on really tight as to make sure you dont fall down...no problem..

I learned to iceskate on the first day by myself..i learned to swim on the first day by myself. i learned to ride a bike on the first day by myself...I learned how to make love...first go ...by myself...no problem

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 11:29:37

Estevan

quote:

I learned to iceskate on the first day by myself..i learned to swim on the first day by myself. i learned to ride a bike on the first day by myself...I learned how to make love...first go ...by myself...no problem

And each of these while holding a guitar....?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 11:51:23

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

Look at that !! if a chick with no pants can do it !! no satlle...no hands ...why would I worry ?

serious it will be ok ... besides i am going ask the older lady that sings if she wants to go first. ....if anything goes wrong... i wont go on the horse...

Hmmmf.

"Horses. Very dangerous. You go first."

Clever man you are.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 12:21:32

Mark2

What's the problem-i use horses in my work all the time. Sometimes even my own.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:06:21

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

Heres how the Spanish ride them (well, the good ones anyway)

Really? So they can walk on two legs about as well as a bear then?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:13:42

Mark2

Seriously, your client is wacked. You either are a person who knows horses or your not. I personally don't but my daughter does. When she was six years old, 3' something tall, she could grab a huge horse by the bridle and lead him around like nothing. My older daughter rode a horse once, she got off in 30 seconds terrified. My next door neighbor's kid got his fingers bitten pretty badly by a horse-that would be a great way to start your gig.

I got hired by a caterer to play solo at a private party many years ago. the client was an ass, and it was clear he hated writing the checks. He started complaining about the food, so the caterer says to him "Next Time Mark will cook and I'll play the guitar!"

Your client should hire some horsemen and have them do the flamenco show as well. At least no one will get hurt.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:25:16

val

Could you manage one of these?
I uploaded a picture and it's disappeared

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 14:30:23

Florian

RE: What colour Horse goes well with... (in reply to val

If the picture is anywhere on the internet Val you can use the Image function above the "Quote" button..

on the internet rightclick the photo u wanna use ...Scrol down to Properties..

Copy the Entire Adress (URL) and paste in between the 2 image brackets you get when presing image....{image}here{image/}...make sure theres no empthy spaces

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 14:37:41

Florian

quote:

My next door neighbor's kid got his fingers bitten pretty badly by a horse

sh*t... they bite ? i never heard of that before

maybe i can convince them to put me on a poney

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 15:50:08

HemeolaMan

youll be fine flo.

IF:

you spend a few hours with the horse before hand.

learn how to ride one a little

bring an alternate pair of pants and some band aids (sometimes saddles have little sticky pkey things that might get you wen you get on or off, no big deal).

my cousin owns a horsefarm downstate and i've ridden horses no problem. you;ll be okay. have your guitar in its case CLOSED when you get there, and make sure it isnt on the floor where it might get trod.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 16:02:01
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote