Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2004 15:09:30

Kate

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Guest

Anyone know who Debra Garner, the writer, is ? I suppose I should ask Estela. I wish she had talked more about the content of the album and the collaborators she mentions as opposed to a summing up of Tomatito's integrity which anyone who knows about flamenco is well aware of. I was also puzzled by her comment about "authentic' duende, it sort of implies there is a false duende lurking out there, or maybe duende, like orgasms can be faked

Look forward to hearing all your reviews when it comes out.

kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 15:11:32

Miguel de Maria

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Kate

From what I understand, "duende" is a type of house spirit, like a gremlin or a goblin or something, and in the 50's the term was commandeered to mean what a blues player would call "soul." For some reason the term rubs me the wrong way, like "puro." So the reviewer thinks Tomatito has a lot of house spirits? I hope he leaves out apples or sherry or other offerings for them!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 15:27:39

Kate

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Lorca wrote about Duende in its flamenco context back in 1933 in his lecture " Juego y teoria de Duende' and in flamenco it means 'spirit' as opposed to some sort of house sprite. I would sum it up as the spirit of performance or creativity but Lorca does it much better and his lecture is worth a read, if only for an insight into the poetic nature of the Andalucians I agree it has become annoying as it is one of those words that is overused and abused. Personally feel that Jason Websters book should be entitled 'Goblin".

I dont have a problem with the word puro though, in fact often feel it is often necessary to describe flamenco as puro to differentiate from the wide variety of music that people today label as flamenco. Ojos de Brujo springs to mind. In the studio flamenco musicians use it all the time. Though I never hear them use the word duende.

kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 16:18:15

Jim Opfer

Tomatito playing a Manuel Reyes guitar?
Look forward to hearing it.

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 17:11:16

Miguel de Maria

Yes I hear Lorca basically made up the whole duende thing... and that some people thought it was a little peculiar.

I guess my main objection to "puro" is that it means, tranlated to English, pure. Well we all know there is ltitle pure about flamenco, since it's such a mishmash of musical traditions. Doesn't it really mean, "good", when they say "puro"?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 22:48:50

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2004 23:57:25

Kate

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

I guess my main objection to "puro" is that it means, tranlated to English, pure. Well we all know there is little pure about flamenco, since it's such a mishmash of musical traditions. Doesn't it really mean, "good", when they say "puro"?

I would translate puro in a musical context as 'authentic', as opposed to to the idea of 'pure' as in breeding, meaning unsullied which has other connotations. Flamenco is no more a 'mish mash' than the Blues is, which makes it sound like something that was all thrown in to one pot and just came out how it was. My understanding is that both blues and flamenco came out of a unique time and place and people, a synthesis of specific cultures and circumstances.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2004 10:24:13

Jim Opfer

Hi Errol,

Nice list of guitars.
I wonder what make of strings he prefers?

Cheers
Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2004 12:32:40

TANúñez

quote:

Anyone know who Debra Garner, the writer, is ?

Hi Kate. Debora works for Tomatito's managment co. Macande and handles a lot of his business.

You can read the article in it's entirety on my website. It should answer some of the questions you had.

http://www.lafalseta.com/News.html

I believe that this is what will be on one of the inside sleeves of the CD.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2004 20:58:05

TANúñez

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

I wonder what make of strings he prefers?

Hi Jim. At one point he was using Hannabach. Don't know if that's still his choice today.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2004 3:40:07

Kate

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to TANúñez

Thanks for that Tom, it certainly explains why the deflamenco review sounds more like PR , a press release, than a review. Nicely written though, evocative, almost Spansish in its poetic style. I almost thought it as a translation had the writer not had such an English sounding name. Anyway she has me hooked. I'll buy the album LOL I would have anyway.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 9:41:07

quote:

it certainly explains why the deflamenco review sounds more like PR , a press release

Yes she told me that Universal wanted it edited or only pieces put on the deflamenco site so they left a lot of good stuff out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 13:35:46

TANúñez

quote:

Yes she told me that Universal wanted it edited or only pieces put on the deflamenco site so they left a lot of good stuff out.

This was me. Forgot to I wasn't logged in.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 14:27:18

Kate

I hear that many Universal artists are leaving the company including Tomatito, Carmen Linares, Marina Heredia. Have you heard anything about this ? Is Universal giving up on flamenco altogether ?

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 14:29:03

quote:

I hear that many Universal artists are leaving the company including Tomatito, Carmen Linares, Marina Heredia. Have you heard anything about this ? Is Universal giving up on flamenco altogether ?

All I've heard is what you said. A lot of the artist with Macande are not happy with the way Universal handles a lot of things so who knows.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 15:55:14

TANúñez

quote:

All I've heard is what you said. A lot of the artist with Macande are not happy with the way Universal handles a lot of things so who knows.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to login

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 15:56:21

Patrick

Elzurdo,

When you log in, click the "Save as Cookie" box. You will stay loged in.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 16:15:55

TANúñez

RE: New Tomaito CD "Aguadulce" (in reply to Patrick

quote:

When you log in, click the "Save as Cookie" box. You will stay loged in.

Hi Patrick,

I normally do but for some reason my mind just ain't working right today

How are things up in your neck of the woods? What guitar are you playing these days? The TP negra?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 16:51:23

Patrick

quote:

How are things up in your neck of the woods? What guitar are you playing these days? The TP negra?

Tom,

Everything is fine. As usual in Portland, my 120 rose bushes bloomed a couple of weeks ago and then the rain started and hasn't stopped! What I now have is pink, yellow and white blobs. Number two daughter (the last) graduated with honors from high school last week. Now I just have to pay for college.

Yes, I've been playing the Teznos Perez negra almost exclusively. It just keeps getting better and better. You know how critical I am of negras. I'm telling you this guitar is turning into a monster. If Eddie's Brazilian DeVoe is better than the TP, it must be unbelievable, but then again they both are in the $7,000 range so they should be good.

It has everything you want in a negra; great volume, ultra clear mids and trebles, exceptional separation, great sustain. It's also starting to get a bit of what I call the Conde throaty sound to it. It's a very contemporary type of sound. It's the tone you would hear on new recordings.

I saw you had the Tezanos classical’s on your site, but not the flamencos. For the folks that don't want to be on De Voe’s list for 3 years, they should get a TP negra from you! They won't be sorry.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 17:58:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote