Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Shelton-Farretta double bodied flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

Shelton-Farretta double bodied flamenco 

If anyone would like to see these here's the link. Scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.lafalseta.com/Shelton_Farretta_flamencos.html

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2004 14:18:12

Jim Opfer

RE: Shelton-Farretta double bodied f... (in reply to TANúñez

Tom,

That looks like one mean guitar? I remember reading about Contreras making one.
Tell me, is that outer skin a perminant fixture? It makes me think the guitar will be very heavy and full of dust!

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2004 17:13:28

Patrick

Jim,

This is a post I made on FT. No they are about the same weight as a negra.

I believe I can give you a bit of info on the Shelton doubles. I have played several of his doubles. In fact I am sure I have played the spruce but not the cedar that are in the pictures. It's important to realize that the doubles are not to be put into a blanca or negra category. They are what they are.

What John and Susan do is build a guitar with cypress sides and a rosewood back. They then build an outer shell, which slips over the main guitar. The outer body is attached to the inner by the small wedges you can see in the pictures. John says the outer body contributes very little, if any, to tone production, thus the use of cypress for esthetics and weight reduction.

The outer body serves a couple of functions. The first, as mentioned is to not dampen the back from vibration. The second is to create a sound chamber, not unlike a speaker enclosure. The rosewood back literally drives the inner air chamber (the gap between the two backs). This excited air (for lack of a better word), is forced out the gaps between the sides.

What I find interesting is when you play a Shelton double; you don't hear a great difference from his single body blanca’s. The difference is incredible when you are in front of the double. I have had John play a single and a double side by side. Trust me, it's like night and day.

What I find is the double is a little less raspy or edgy, if you will, from his singles, yet not the same as a negra. Think of the doubles as super charged blanca’s, with negra qualities. If you play on stage or accompany in a mid to large size room, these things will blow out any other guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2004 18:23:49

TANúñez

RE: Shelton-Farretta double bodied f... (in reply to Jim Opfer

Jim, what Patrick said is pretty dead on. It takes playing one to really be able to appreciate it. It's quite impressive.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2004 20:59:26

Jim Opfer

RE: Shelton-Farretta double bodied f... (in reply to Patrick

Pat and Tom,

I can understand what you mean. Sounds like a great invention.
I was more wondering about the practicallity of the double back, can it come off or is it a fixture? I mean, will things get lost in there and rattle around?

I remember reading an article on Jose Ramirez or was it Manuel Contreras? making an outer case that did much the same thing but it could be taken off.

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2004 12:53:20

Patrick

Jim,

No, the back does not come off. If you look at the pictures on Tom's site you can see the small wood wedges at the top. These wedges join the outer back to the inner guitar. Also the neck is joined into the neck. The only way you can tell it's a double back is the small wedges at the top and looking into the sound hole. The inner guitar has a shallow body and is of rosewood. From a few feet away, it looks just like any other guitar.

As for things getting into the outer back. The only way it could happen would be to slip into the narrow space at the top. If it's small enough to get in, it's small enough to get out.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2004 17:35:55

Jim Opfer

RE: Shelton-Farretta double bodied f... (in reply to Patrick

Thanks Pat, that answers my question.

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2004 6:33:09

TANúñez

quote:

I remember reading an article on Jose Ramirez or was it Manuel Contreras? making an outer case that did much the same thing but it could be taken off.

Hi Jim,

A few makers have worked with this concept before. I can't recall who actually invented it though. I haven't heard of one made where the back can come off but I wouldn't doubt it. Just about everything has been thought of regarding guitar construction.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2004 12:57:27

Jim Opfer

Hi Tom,
I found the article, It was in Guitar International Magazine December 1987. It was Manuel Contreras and he launched his idea at the International Festival of Cuba in 1986.
It's an outer shell with back and 3/4 sides ie full lower side, round the bottom and continuing up over the top side of the lower bout, removing all contact between guitar and player.
The shell has a clip that hooks over the 'heel' and can be removed.
Phew! glad I found that.
I'll forward a tiff file of the article if you want?

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2004 19:49:36

When I bought my spruce/Brazilian "Double Top" (actually, a double back) from Manuel Contreras Sr. in 1991, he offered to make me a shell for it. I don't remember now whether I then played a guitar with the shell or not, but somehow I recollect an impression that it was pretty heavy--maybe I played one somewhere other than Contreras' shop. I declined the offer, but he made a template anyhow, carefully tracing the outline of the back, saying I could order one if I liked, and he would not have to have the guitar to start on it.

Manuel Sr. also told me that any time I came by the shop, I could trade the instrument I bought for any he had on hand--provided mine was still in mint condition. It is--and I've wondered whether Manuel II would honor the guartantee.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 1:35:50

TANúñez

Hey Jim,

Yes I'd love to read it. Sounds interesting.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2004 2:27:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll