Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Americans in flamenco honored in Spain   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

Americans in flamenco honored in Spain 

The Puertollano flamenco festival this year decided to pay tribute to American flamenco artists, and two outstanding Californians performed for a theater-full of savvy Spaniards, including guitarist Antonio Carrión, singers José de la Tomasa and Carmen Linares, and flamencologists Félix Grande and José María Velázquez among others, and recently knighted Brook Zern and veteran journalist Alfonso Eduardo Perez Orozco were on hand. A report was also broadcast on Spanish national TV.

The complete report on the festival/contest in English, with pictures, is at:

http://www.deflamenco.com/revista/paginai.jsp?codigo=2228

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 4:24:05

Ricardo

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to zata

quote:

and José María Velázquez Gaztelu explained the importance of the body of flamenco followers from the United States, in whose name Estela Zatania accepted the award.

Thanks for accepting on our behalf Estela!

quote:

And all the while, the image of Diego del Gastor projected onto the backdrop, recalled the centennial of the Morón guitarist so admired by American flamenco fans.

Ummm, some handful of American flamenco fans....

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 7:04:13

zata

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

"And all the while, the image of Diego del Gastor projected onto the backdrop, recalled the centennial of the Morón guitarist so admired by American flamenco fans".

I have to apologize for that sentence because it does a misservice to many American flamenco followers. Unfortunately, I have to be scrupulously careful to tell it "the other" way in order to avoid another round of threats to my bodily integrity. "Freedom of the press" only goes as far as people are willing to respect it.

For the record, a total of four Spanish flamenco artists also resorted to threats of violence regarding other issues...it's an effective technique. Fellow critics assure me it goes along with the job.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 9:13:27

Taranto

quote:

a total of four Spanish flamenco artists also resorted to threats of violence regarding other issues

Who? Names please and don't be shy. Paco must be one of them of course.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 9:20:55

Mark2

Yeah, those pesky moronies like Brook, Kenny, David, etc. They are so ......opinionated. I'm no moronie, but I have nothing but respect for the ones I know.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zata

quote:

"And all the while, the image of Diego del Gastor projected onto the backdrop, recalled the centennial of the Morón guitarist so admired by American flamenco fans".

I have to apologize for that sentence because it does a misservice to many American flamenco followers. Unfortunately, I have to be scrupulously careful to tell it "the other" way in order to avoid another round of threats to my bodily integrity. "Freedom of the press" only goes as far as people are willing to respect it.

For the record, a total of four Spanish flamenco artists also resorted to threats of violence regarding other issues...it's an effective technique. Fellow critics assure me it goes along with the job.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 10:25:32

zata

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to Mark2

quote:

Yeah, those pesky moronies like Brook, Kenny, David, etc. They are so ......opinionated. I'm no moronie, but I have nothing but respect for the ones I know.

You would probably find it less fun to be with the ones who say they're going to hunt you down and "teach you a lesson you'll never forget" (and other threats much less fit to be repeated) for having dared to express what you consider an observable truth.

Even you, whoever you are, are a victim. Ricardo was offended when I implied Americans universally worship Diego del Gastor, and rightly so. You received that twisted bit of "information" because certain people don't want it told any other way.

My belief is you don't need to be a journalist, or even be right, in order to be entitled to protest threats of violence.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 10:47:12

Mark2

I would never avocate violence because someone expressed an opinion. I can understand feelings of outrage by passionate people who disagree on matters important to them when a contrary opinion is published, but again, threats and violence are uncalled for IMO.

People can judge for themselves what they think of Diego, his playing, and his legacy. From reading Porhen, I developed an admiration of Diego not based on his playing, but his personality. Although his is not my favorite style, I think I've also come to understand the appeal in his playing. Some people that were there to witness it firsthand, to get to know the person he was and the scene he lived in, obviously have a deeply positive emotional connection to that. What you consider a observeable truth is obviously not universally accepted as such.

Whether or not a moronie wants to discredit someone with a contrary opinion doesn't make me a victim, and is not of much interest to me. I don't know if Ricardo was offended, but from reading his enormous contributions on this forum over the years, I'd be surprised if he was dismissive of any good flamenco artists or aficianados. I don't think there's much question that moronies include some of both.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 12:00:06

Ron.M

quote:

I can understand feelings of outrage by passionate people who disagree on matters important to them when a contrary opinion is published, but again, threats and violence are uncalled for IMO.

Al Contrario...
I think some people on this Forum would quite easily kill each other if they never had to go to the bother and expense of booking flights and then the trouble with the Police etc...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 12:36:09

zata

quote:

What you consider a observeable truth is obviously not universally accepted as such.

You are wrong. And I even wonder what you think that particular truth is that I had the daring to express. I said and wrote many times what so many others have also written and said: Diego del Gastor has never enjoyed the kind of adulation in Spain that so many Americans express. In fact, when Son de la Frontera put out their first record and talked about Diego, Spanish flamencos would constantly ask me who he was, since I was living in Morón and they assumed I would know. That is of course not a critique of his playing, but a provable and yes, observable truth about something not related to music at all. Paco de Lucía knows it, José Manuel Gamboa knows it, Pepe Torres knows it and Brook Zern knows it too, to name just a few.

>> Whether or not a moronie wants to discredit
>> someone with a contrary opinion doesn't make me a victim.

You are the victim of my misleading comment that Ricardo quickly picked up on, written so as not to provoke further threats.

I was in flamenco before Don Pohren introduced Americans to Diego, I was responsible for airing in New York in 1966, at my own expense, the famous “bandanna on head” documentary of Diego, I watched the movement grow, I was living in Morón three years while Diego was still alive, continued to live there until 2005 and have ample criteria to describe my observations.

>> I don't think there's much question
>> that moronies include some of both.

There are those who behave in acceptable ways, and those who wish to control others via threats of violence. It’s not a music issue, but a criminal one.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 12:42:57

Mark2

Well I did agree that Paco was the best guitarist in the universe, but the definition of "Universal" according to my dictionary is:

2. Relating to, involving, or affecting all of those belonging to a given class or group

That would seem to include even those who disagree with you and Paco.

Not many would ever claim that flamencos don't think much of Sabicas, and yet, how many current guitarists play his falsetas? And somehow there is a group including Spanish flamencos who play Diego material, the guitarist who flamencos universally :-) dismiss. I was not a victim, as I have read many things you have written on the net over the years in regards to Diego. And many of them were more critical than the quote above regarding him being less "adolized"

That statement I wouldn't argue with. But even though I might agree with you, Paco, etc, doesn't make it a universal truth unless of course you know every flamenco and aficianado in Spain. Perhaps since you've been in it so long that's the case.

Someone wrote that anyone who creates so much controversy must be a great artist. I guess I should learn a few of his falsetas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 13:22:17

zata

quote:

That would seem to include even those who disagree with you and Paco.

I cannot begin to imagine what it is you think people “disagree” with (?). Diego not being known in Spain outside a small circle until Son de la Frontera put his music in the spotlight is a fact. Even Raúl Rodríguez who founded the group didn't know who Diego was until much later on.

>> Not many would ever claim that flamencos
>> don't think much of Sabicas, and yet, how
>> many current guitarists play his falsetas?

Nearly everyone, without even knowing it. But what has that to do with Diego del Gastor? Sabicas was no cult figure, but a mainstream star in the US, and he became well-known in Spain as soon as his recordings circulated. He is very respected by flamenco guitarists.

>> And somehow there is a group including
>> Spanish flamencos who play Diego material,
>> the guitarist who flamencos universally :-) dismiss.

No, there is no such group in this country. Before Son de la Frontera, you could cite Paco Cepero as being an admirer without actually playing any Diego-related falsetas, and Raimundo Amador became associated with Diego falsetas without people realizing they weren’t his. After the arrival of Son de la Frontera, and their modern take on the same music, Rafael Rodriguez and two or three younger guitarists adopted the best-known falsetas without emulating the playing style. If there’s anyone else, I’d be happy to know about them to include in my conference. I believe part of the success of Son de la Frontera is their lack of contemporary harmony which has been so overdone.

I wonder whom you think said Diego was “universally dismissed”? That would be the person you ought to be stalking. I gave a true picture of the landscape, it’s my job to communicate observations as accurately as possible. What I described continues to be true, even in the era of Son de la Frontera: Diego del Gastor is an American social phenomenon, independently of his modest posthumous fame.

It was eleven years ago when I commented on several forums that Diego was little-known in this country, and at the time I was astonished to discover Americans didn’t know that. That was many years before Son de la Frontera; today it’s much easier to find references to his playing, and the centennial has put his name in circulation, that’s why people celebrate such dates.

>> I was not a victim, as I have read many things you
>> have written on the net over the years in regards to
>> Diego. And many of them were more critical than
>> the quote above regarding him being less "adolized"
`
If you’d ever actually read me, you’d know I never tolerate gratuitous paraphrasing. Since I know exactly what I’ve written, and your words are a potential threat to my life, it behoves you to cite direct quotes or admit having accepted the campaign of a small group of psychopaths as a sort of “reality by repetition”.

>> Someone wrote that anyone who creates
>> so much controversy must be a great artist. I
>> guess I should learn a few of his falsetas.

Serial killers also generate controversy, but that doesn’t tell us anything about the kind of music they might play.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 15:44:30

cathulu

What in the world is going on here? Or what am I getting into? I thought things were crazy in the local scene with fights over gigs and non-lethal strangulations. The Flamencos in Spain are taking it up a notch it seems.

Is there a backstory we should be aware of, or is it better not knowing??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 20:32:09

paleto3

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to cathulu

Fights over gigs? Fist fights? Where are you?

-Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 21:42:08

el ted

Yes, I'm with Cathulu on this one. I don't understand what's going on. I must read through all this morethoroughly when I have time.

Cheers from snowy Beverley
Ted
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2008 23:27:51

Ricardo

quote:

I have to apologize for that sentence because it does a misservice to many American flamenco followers.

WOW. I was not expecting an apology, but I accept! I guess I understand your need to be on eggshells for certain reasons with wording. I think there are some clever ways to tell the truth without making folks upset, but it takes some serious thought.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 6:01:33

Mark2

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to zata)2 votes

I could refute your last post point by point, but I'm not going to. I don't want to inflame anyone who may create a problem for you. As to your exact quotes, there are people on this forum who have more interest in them than I do and have saved them on their hard drives. If they want to start it up, it's up to them. Personally I hope they don't.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 9:33:43

Doitsujin

quote:

The Puertollano flamenco festival this year decided to pay tribute to American flamenco artists, and two outstanding Californians performed for a theater-full of savvy Spaniards, including guitarist Antonio Carrión, singers José de la Tomasa and Carmen Linares, and flamencologists Félix Grande and José María Velázquez among others, and recently knighted Brook Zern and veteran journalist Alfonso Eduardo Perez Orozco were on hand. A report was also broadcast on Spanish national TV.

The complete report on the festival/contest in English, with pictures, is at:

http://www.deflamenco.com/revista/paginai.jsp?codigo=2228

In the end... just a comercial to get more ears over there in america....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 12:00:16

zata

quote:

As to your exact quotes, there are people on this forum who have more interest in them than I do and have saved them on their hard drives.

"There are people..." was one of McCarthy's favorite openings because it slanders without incurring the burden of proof.

I've seen numerous authentic quotes from my writing, all of them absolutely innocuous, and every syllable of which can be demonstrated in numerous ways.

The smoking guns turned out to be unloaded water pistols.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 12:27:57

zata

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

In the end... just a comercial to get more ears over there in america....

If you're American, the award was accepted in your name as well.

I'll convey your expression of gratitude to the organization.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 12:30:40

Mark2

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to zata)1 votes

Amazing-first my post is threatening your very life and now you want proof-to bring back all the stuff you wrote on the "other list". Keep shaking the tree and I'm pretty sure your adversaries will appear. I'm done.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 12:57:48

Doitsujin

Whatever..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 13:42:34

zata

quote:

Amazing-first my post is threatening your very life and now you want proof-to bring back all the stuff you wrote on the "other list".

There is no "stuff". That's the point.

Before attempting to accuse a journalist or anyone else, the custom is to present something more than cheap innuendos.

I'm a believer in direct quotes. Yogi Berra once said, "It's like deja vu all over again"

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 14:52:57

Kate

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to zata)1 votes

Hi Estela,

Just read the report. Nice that Richard Black played and wonderfully ironic that you picked up the award considering how some of these people have behaved towards you.

Don't tell me those morons are still running around Andalucia telling porkies and rabble rousing. At least the flamencos acknowledge your work and expertise. It must have made the jealous ones seethe with anger when you were honoured for your contribution to flamenco at La Union, and that was even before the amazing research you did into the ganañía was published and highly prized and oh dear won another award and didn't the website you write for also win the critics award.

For anyone here who reads Spanish Estela's book 'Flamencos de la Ganañía' is a fascinating insight into the lives and music of the Gypsies who worked for the landowners in the Franco years after the Civil War, not just from a flamenco point of view but also sociological. Not many people in Spain have such a wide knowledge of flamenco, past and present, never mind an American lady, and even fewer who can write so well.

If the rabble rousers who poisoned the original forum ( I joined that ten years ago and left in disgust at the regular stream of personal insults, threats and obscenities ) come here withe same attitude and start attacking respected members they will be asked to leave.

Mark 2 is treading a very fine line here between saying he does not want to stir things up and yet doing so. It is extremely important to quote each other accurately as oppose to paraphrase and not take quotes out of their all important context. I for one would not trust anyone who tried to cite old quotes from that old flamenco forum.

Doits the fact that a flamenco festival in Spain pays tribute to the American affcionadas is an honour, interpretating that as a commercial exercise is to judge flamenco by the wrong criteria. Honour amongst flamencos is everything, commercial success is not.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2008 0:12:50

zata

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to Kate

I feel compelled to explain some things about the Puertollano contest.

The organizers are the same people who put together the wonderful tribute to Fernanda de Utrera some years ago when her health began to fail. It took many months of thankless work, and begging for favors at the offical level, and of course, no one received a salary.

The contest was founded two years ago in the same selfless spirit, to promote and support interest in flamenco singing, while at the same time specifically discouraging professional contestants, people who make a career out of how to win contests, regularly making the rounds, easily carrying off juicy prizes thanks to their ability to conquer nervousness, their knowledge of how to present a contest application, knowing what judges are looking for, etc….

No one made any money except the prizewinners and the hired performers. Individual members of the organization were quick to use their own money to pay for meals, taxis and similar expenses. I’ve never seen a more dedicated and cohesive group of people.

The honorary award in recognition of American flamencos was the same statuette given to Carmen Linares for her work, there was no cash prize, and the organization was genuinely thrilled to have Lakshmi and Richard perform.

It’s an open secret that flamenco is foundering in Spain and no one seems to know what to do about it. The people in Puertollano, not even part of Andalusia, are valiently, tirelessly and selflessly defending this genre which is slipping away before our eyes.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2008 0:59:09

Ailsa

RE: Americans in flamenco honored in... (in reply to Kate

I wasn't in the original foro, so haven't a clue what's going on here! But I think it's great that American flamencos have been acknowledged.

I hadn't heard of Richard Black before (my bad) but just watched some stuff on youtube and I really enjoyed it. There's a nice Solea de Alcala and some other vids.

I think it's hard to get anywhere near authentic if you haven't grown up with flamenco so all credit to him. I know full well that although I can learn complex dance steps, when I dance I look like a classically trained English dancer, and probably always will

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2008 1:56:19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll