Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

"normal"?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mark indigo

"normal"? 

Hi, This is, i think, the first time i have actually been in this (luthiery) forum, (apart from replying to a thread about 5 minutes ago), though i've been around on the foro generally for a while. So I've finally ventured into this luthiery section (an area of discussion which i feel completely ignorant of) as i have some questions which have been formulating for some time.

I have a guitar by an obscure maker who I know nothing about, apart from it says on the label "Manuel Fernandez Fernandez, Constructor De Guitarras, Flamencas Y De Concierto, Hospital De Santa Ana No.12, Granada Espana". The year is 1997.

Anyone else who plays my guitar always says it has a wide neck, though it seems quite normal to me as I've been playing it for about 10 years (maybe 11, though I guess not more than that... ). It's 54mm wide at the nut, and 65mm wide at the 12th fret, with the top and bottom E strings about 61mm apart on the bridge bone. Is this unusually wide? And if so, what is "normal"?

The other thing about this guitar is that it seems to be quite small in the body, only 86-87mm deep, 272mm across the upper bout, approx 363mm across the lower bout, and approx 493mm long. Are these dimensions unusually small, and if so, again, what is "normal"?

I'm quite tall, 6'2"/1m88cm, and have correspondingly long arms and big hands, so while the wide neck feels ok for me, the body of the guitar feels quite small. When I look at most spanish players the body of the guitar seems a lot larger relative to the body of the player than my guitar does relative to me, and I have had quite a lot of discomfort which i partly attribute to this size issue.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if it would be possible to have a guitar constructed proprtionately larger, and if this would necessarily affect the sound, and if so in what ways?

thanks in advance

mark
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 10:44:53

Anders Eliasson

RE: "normal"? (in reply to mark indigo

"normal" is a difficult thing to describe, but welcome to the Luthier forum anyway.

The guitar you describe has a wide fingerboard, a wide string spacing, a narrow body and a plantilla which is relatively normal size.

Fingerboard normal size is 52 - 54 at nut and 62 -64mm at 12th fret. Stringspacing at bridge is normally around 58 - 59mm

My plantilla is a little big bigger but not much, but my guitars are around 10mm deeper in the body.

I dont like building bigger. I find that you loose projection and that the trebles loose "flamenco sound"

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 13:35:46

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

thanks for the info Anders, i guess by "normal" what i am meaning is usual, typical, tipico, or something like that, and i would expect it to be within a range rather than one specific figure.

so my guitar is at the wide end of "normal" at the nut (54mm), and a little wider than "normal" at the 12th fret and bridge.... that's interesting, partly as i've been thinking that if the strings were a little closer together it might help with string crossing in picado, and it's the body end of the guitar where they are a little outside the range of "normal".

"plantilla"? template? does that mean the shape of the front/table/soundboard of the guitar of the guitar? i guess it does.... and i guess "a little bit bigger but not much" means only a few mm? it would be nice to at least have a guitar as big as it can reasonably be, given my large-ish frame, and 10mm deeper would at least be a little something extra to drape my long arms around!

i once played a "bass" spanish guitar, literally like huge a rosewood classical with six strings, but each an octave lower, so the top E (1st string) was actually a bottom E (6th string) and the B, G, D, A and low E were correspondingly lower. I didn't know such a monster existed until it came out of the box in the shop to show me! And although i didn't have a clue what to play or how to play it (i've never played bass) it was really comfortable to hold, it just sat on me really, i didn't have to "hold" it at all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 14:21:26

Anders Eliasson

Mark, I know what you are saying about size. I´m 1,83 and it took me a long time to find a good sitting position.
My size also meant that I have made bigger guitars, but I find that there´s a limit. Its my limit, of course, and maybe other builders can work bigger, But I have a clear feeling that bigger is not better.
Yes, plantilla is template. I´m not a native English speaker so you hav to live with a bit of Spanglish sometimes.
My template is 49,2mm long, 28mm upper bout, 37,2mm lower bout and I normally build around 97mm deep.
I sometimes build a litle bit smaller.

Some concerns about size. (Not body) for you:
I would strongly recommend 54mm nut and 660mm scale for you. I personally adjust well to different nut and scale sizes if I like a guitar. BUT... String spacing at the bridge is something else. I dont like it to big. 61mm is way to big for me. Standard, 58 or 59mm works the best for almost all players. Its a compromise and to big or to small I dont adjust to.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 23:10:16

RobJe

Manuel Fernandez Fernández died in September 1997. Like many guitarreros from Granada of his generation (eg Manuel and Jose Lopez Bellido, Antonio Marin Montero, Antonio Raya Pardo, Antonio Duran and Francisco Manuel Diaz) he started his career in Casa Ferrer. Manuel’s son José Manuel Fernandez Enriquez continues to make guitars – same address I think.

From the previous generation, Eduardo Ferrer and Manuel de la Chica were the main (and in some ways opposing) forces in Granada. When people used to talk about the “small bodied Granadan guitar” they were talking of guitars of the dimensions you report and typical of the Ferrer era – just slightly smaller than most modern guitars. Most of the former Ferrer workers have now developed plantillas that are slightly larger, although if you can get a guitar from Antonio Duran it will be almost the same.

Asking someone to make you a guitar with a plantilla of your chosen dimensions would be a bit like asking an aircraft builder to make you a plane with wings that you have designed - possible to do but you might not like the results!

I am a similar size to you and have guitars of all sizes including one smaller than yours. I don’t really notice the body size when I play. The most critical dimension for me is the thickness of the neck and its profile.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 1:18:51

mark indigo

quote:

My size also meant that I have made bigger guitars, but I find that there´s a limit. Its my limit, of course, and maybe other builders can work bigger, But I have a clear feeling that bigger is not better.

i'm curious, what actually happens if/when you build bigger?

quote:

Yes, plantilla is template. I´m not a native English speaker so you hav to live with a bit of Spanglish sometimes.

just checking i understood right, learning more spanish vocabulary is good for me, and "spanglish" is fun too.

quote:

I would strongly recommend 54mm nut and 660mm scale for you.... String spacing at the bridge is something else. I dont like it to big. 61mm is way to big for me. Standard, 58 or 59mm works the best for almost all players.

the wide nut is fine, but i've been wondering recently if a smaller string spacing at bridge would be better for me, maybe i could get a new bridge bone with the grooves closer together to try it out?

another (slightly crazy) idea i had was to make a large/oversized guitar shaped "frame" or false body that the small/standard bodied guitar could fit inside of, so that (hopefully) the acoustic properties of the guitar would not be affected, but the proportions of guitar to body could be altered to improve ergonomics!

I have heard of guitars being fitted with false backs, so that the back of the guitar doesn't rest against the players body and lose resonance and volume by being damped out. This idea just extends the concept to include the sides as well as the back.... so might actually improve acoustic quality?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 11:37:44

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to RobJe

quote:

Manuel Fernandez Fernández died in September 1997.

thanks for the info rob, i guess my guitar must have been one of the last, if not the last, guitar he built.

quote:

I don’t really notice the body size when I play. The most critical dimension for me is the thickness of the neck and its profile.

for the left hand i agree (and i love the wide flat neck on this guitar), but for the right hand....

anders has pointed out that string spacing at the bridge can make a difference, which is something i have begun to think about recently (see previous post), and i'm still curious to experiment with this.

as for body size, at the moment i cannot say for certain what difference it might make, but from just holding larger bodied steel string and bass guitars i am thinking that maybe my right hand wrist would not need to be so bent in 2 different planes, and that this could help particularly with keeping the hand flat to the guitar in picado technique.

I have had my current guitar for 10-11 years, and have adapted to it fairly well, but partly for comfort, and partly because i'm constantly pushing against technical limitations, i am thinking about any small changes that might give me an edge in overcoming limitations.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 11:52:47

Ron.M

You know...Paco Peña is a petite guy, maybe just about 5ft.0" or so and fairly slight built.
Yet he plays all kinds of guitars, including some (seemingly) very large ones (like that big Gerundino), without a capo and still maintains perfect control with a really big sound!!

Even Grisha commented about how hard and loud he played when he visited his conservatory and he and Eliot Fisk had a chance to jam in private with him.

(I've heard him play in a small room just by himself with just me observing...and it impressed me like hell too...so I know it's true!)

I've always wondered how he does that?

Is it just maybe because he's a great Flamenco Guitarist?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 11:55:28

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Is it just maybe because he's a great Flamenco Guitarist?

well, yeah, like obviously he's great an' all, and having a bigger or smaller guitar is not going to instantly turn me into Paco De Lucia, Paco Pena, or in fact Paco anybody, but my point about size and proportions is, if anything, exemplifried (is that the right word?!) by what you say about PP:

quote:

Paco Peña is a petite guy, maybe just about 5ft.0" or so and fairly slight built.
Yet he plays all kinds of guitars, including some (seemingly) very large ones (like that big Gerundino)

so if you measure his "very large Gerundino", and you measure the "petite" Señor Peña and you create from this an optimum ratio of guitar size to player, what frickin' size monster guitar would old bean pole here at 6' 2" need??!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 12:25:57

Ron.M

quote:

so if you measure his "very large Gerundino", and you measure the "petite" Señor Peña and you create from this an optimum ratio of guitar size to player, what frickin' size monster guitar would old bean pole here at 6' 2" need??!!!

HaHa! Mark,

I dunno mate, but I bet Anders will be able to make you one!

(A guitar that doubles as a mobile home for very small people?)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 12:36:23

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

A guitar that doubles as a mobile home

yeah, probably would be a trailer trash guitar an' all, given what anders says about not building beyond a certain size, and what rob says about choosing your own dimensions....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 12:47:12

Anders Eliasson

quote:

i'm curious, what actually happens if/when you build bigger?

Mark, I n my first post I wrote:
I dont like building bigger. I find that you loose projection and that the trebles loose "flamenco sound"
If you compare with the violin world. The Viola, which is a little bit bigger than the violin and tuned 5 half tones lower. When played in the same register as the violin, it clearly projects less and when played in the upper register it tends to loose the preciseness of the violin. In my ears the same thing happens to Flamenco guitars.

If you compare steel string acoustics. an 00 and a Dreadnaught, the 00 has very nice ringy trebles and a shorter sustain but not the big "Twang" of the dreadnaught.

On Classical guitars, one of my favorite designs is the one by Romanillos, which Julian Bream made famous on MANY recordings.
Its a smaller guitar than my flamencos and it has a very powerfull and beautifull tone. Especially in the high and mid register but its difficult to get the basses warm enough.

It could be possible to build a double sided guitar as you describe. In my eyes, I´m not to sure I would like it and finding a suitable case would be difficult.

I´ve learned to sit in a way which suits me. I´m sitting in a half trad position. Another solution if you sit with cross legs is to do like Gerardo Nuñez, lifting the guitar more by having you crossed leg in a different angle.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2008 22:53:37

mark indigo

quote:

Mark, In my first post I wrote:

sorry anders, of course you did, i didn't go back and check what you'd already said/posted

quote:

It could be possible to build a double sided guitar as you describe. In my eyes, I´m not to sure I would like it and finding a suitable case would be difficult.

it's just an idea really, i have no idea what it would be like or if it would work, but it might fit in a steel string jumbo or dreadnought case, or a spanish bass guitar (not sure what they're actually called) case and/or it is possible to get flight cases made to order whatever specifications/dimensions you want.... at a price!

quote:

I´m sitting in a half trad position.

what's this?

quote:

Another solution if you sit with cross legs is to do like Gerardo Nuñez, lifting the guitar more by having you crossed leg in a different angle.

i get a lot of problems crossing one leg over the other like Paco or Gerardo, i cannot seem to help twisting my pelvis and spine, putting a lot of strain on my shoulders and neck, and giving me problems in tendons hands and fingers. I don't realise i am twisting or straining until i get pain in my fingers, and cannot seem to get around it sitting that way. Using a footstool under my right foot is a bit better, still the same problems, but less so. At the moment i am using a "gitano" guitar support, which is the best solution so far, the guitar is more or less where it would be if i crossed one leg over the other, but without the twisting and straining.

Really though, my right arm needs to rest higher and further out from my body than it does on my small bodied shallow guitar, which is why i think either a larger bodied guitar or a larger false back and sides frame would help purely from the ergonomic point of view.

BTW i started out using the trad position, sat cross legged to play for at least 10 years, experimented with footstool for a while, and have used the guitar support now for about 5 years
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2008 10:04:51

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

Mark, In my first post I wrote:

sorry anders, of course you did, i didn't go back and check what you'd already said/posted

quote:

it's just an idea really, i have no idea what it would be like or if it would work, but it might fit in a steel string jumbo or dreadnought case, or a spanish bass guitar (not sure what they're actually called) case and/or it is possible to get flight cases made to order whatever specifications/dimensions you want.... at a price!

quote:

I´m sitting in a half trad position.

what's this?

quote:

Another solution if you sit with cross legs is to do like Gerardo Nuñez, lifting the guitar more by having you crossed leg in a different angle.

i get a lot of problems crossing one leg over the other like Paco or Gerardo, i cannot seem to help twisting my pelvis and spine, putting a lot of strain on my shoulders and neck, and giving me problems in tendons hands and fingers. I don't realise i am twisting or straining until i get pain in my fingers, and cannot seem to get around it sitting that way. Using a footstool under my right foot is a bit better, still the same problems, but less so. At the moment i am using a "gitano" guitar support, which is the best solution so far, the guitar is more or less where it would be if i crossed one leg over the other, but without the twisting and straining.

Really though, my right arm needs to rest higher and further out from my body than it does on my small bodied shallow guitar, which is why i think either a larger bodied guitar or a larger false back and sides frame would help purely from the ergonomic point of view.

BTW i started out using the trad position, sat cross legged to play for at least 10 years, experimented with footstool for a while, and have used the guitar support now for about 5 years

Mark,

If you are asking for a larger guitar to accommodate your size then take into consideration that the smallest bit of increase in size would be fine for your techniques. I'm 6'2" and the modern flamenco guitars work just fine for me. I don't sit cross legged either as it hurts my back but I find the modern sizes fairly easy to operate with, and with very little adjustment on my part.

It stands to reason that very small increments in size are easy to adjust to; it's a matter of you deciding to work with it rather than trying to have a guitar built out of its arena of good practice. I think you would be surprised how much effect a slightly larger size would have on you.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2008 17:32:18

Anders Eliasson

Mark, I agree with TomB

Also consider that adjusting to a very special guitar would mean that you wouldnt like to play other guitars. So no enjoying other peoples Reyes , Conde, Grundino etc. Scary, no?

No seriously, If you cant get a right position with a Gitano support. (I´ve played with it as well) I think you have to work seriously with your sitting position. The Gitano lifts A LOT. I take for granted that you use it on the right leg as you should on a flamenco guitar and not on the left leg as supposed on a classical.

I will see if I can find a photo of me playing in semi trad position.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 0:17:46

Anders Eliasson

We actually discussed sitting position a while ago and I made this video:

I put a rubber cloth underneath the guitar on the right leg. It does that it doesnt slip when playing. This way I dont have to lift the headstock so much as in a "normal" traditional position

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 0:21:20

XXX

Hey Mark,

i have relatively small hands and had a guitar with 53,5mm width at the nut. It was horrible when doing barres, because the g string always (and i mean always) buzzed. It just didnt fit to my index finger or the shape of it. Now i play a guitar with 52mm. The buzzing is a bit easier to control now, as it takes me less power to do a barre. I am pretty shure that it would have taken me at least 1 to 3 years to workout and practise a proper lefthand technique that allows me to play the other guitar with a proper use of force.
There are also guitars with 50mm and if i would build myself a guitar i would choose that, coz it takes you even less power and speed to play that (if you dont have too thick fingers).

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 8:03:09

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

the smallest bit of increase in size would be fine for your techniques....I think you would be surprised how much effect a slightly larger size would have on you.

i hope so!

quote:

I don't sit cross legged either as it hurts my back

so what's your solution? how do you sit? (i did a search on "sitting position" but couldn't find the old thread...)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 8:48:44

Tom Blackshear

quote:

quote:

the smallest bit of increase in size would be fine for your techniques....I think you would be surprised how much effect a slightly larger size would have on you.

i hope so!

quote:

I don't sit cross legged either as it hurts my back

so what's your solution? how do you sit? (i did a search on "sitting position" but couldn't find the old thread...)

Mark,

I go with the thought of trying different positions as I play, since just one posture can cause stress if it's too long a time in just one position. I start out with the guitar on my right leg and move it according to my own preference to keep the blood flowing.

There are several ways to play a guitar; even sitting up in bed, like Paco Del Gastor did when he showed me his first falseta one morning as he was waking up. This was in 1965 and I still remember that falseta; bulerias with a lot of left hand ligado. But I think what will benefit you most is to go with the thought of changing positions from time to time.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 9:47:34

Ricardo

quote:

the wide nut is fine, but i've been wondering recently if a smaller string spacing at bridge would be better for me, maybe i could get a new bridge bone with the grooves closer together to try it out?

Bridge bones devolop grooves after lots of playing, but they are NOT supposed to have them. The grooves actually lower the action a bit and may cause the weak D or A strings to break. I say when you have grooves you need a new bone.

I have small hands, but always prefered classical/flamenco guitars that had wide necks and wide string spacing, and wide nut grooves. Not sure why, but it is very comfy. The skinny neck flamenco guitars (sideways I mean not depth of wood) were always harder for me, even now. I feel like it is more like a steel string or electric guitar, like I want to throw my thumb over the top and use a pick.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2008 12:28:06

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Bridge bones devolop grooves after lots of playing, but they are NOT supposed to have them. The grooves actually lower the action a bit and may cause the weak D or A strings to break. I say when you have grooves you need a new bone.

of course, it's the holes in the bridge that determine the string spacing, i was thinking the bone acted like the nut.... i did say it was the first time i came on this luthiery forum
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2008 9:35:46

Tom Blackshear

quote:

quote:

of course, it's the holes in the bridge that determine the string spacing, i was thinking the bone acted like the nut.... i did say it was the first time i came on this luthiery forum

Wasn't this issue brought up as a test for you to see which spacing you would be more comfortable with? If it was, then there is no problem grooving a place in the saddle to check it out. That's with the understanding that it would not be a permanent fixture. But the current Spanish spacing is good for most guitarists which is about the rule for all regular sized guitars. My spacing is 2-11/32" from 6th to 1st string in the middle.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2008 10:24:10

Anders Eliasson

quote:

My spacing is 2-11/32" from 6th to 1st string in the middle.

Uuuuh, now I have to find my Stewmac conversion table.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2008 0:36:19

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

quote:

My spacing is 2-11/32" from 6th to 1st string in the middle.

Uuuuh, now I have to find my Stewmac conversion table.

I think it's the current Conde spacing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2008 5:02:54

RobJe

RE: "normal"? (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Lots of dimensions for comparison on this site - click on guitar to find diagrams with measurements. Metric only!
http://guitarshop.jp/03show_english02.php?&class=guitar&picture=001_002_001_08
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2008 9:53:44

RobJe

Perhaps the posts have been a bit hard on you Mark! If you wanted golf clubs or a bicycle to fit you, you could find plenty of people rushing to offer you what you wanted. You could even get a shirt to fit you! Nobody would be telling you to you had to sit in a different way or put parts of your body in places that made you uncomfortable.
So why is it different for a guitar? As someone who buys guitars rather than makes them this is how I see it. I go to someone for a guitar because I like what they have done in the past. I also like to listen the maker talking about what they are trying to achieve. I would like them give me a guitar that is as good as the best they have ever made or even a bit better. I supose that I might even settle for one nearly as good as the best. I would be really happy if this could be achieved, but experience tells me that it doen't always work out like that. I would be very nervous about asking for a major change in case it set the process of gradual improvement back several years!
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2008 10:26:12

mark indigo

RE: "normal"? (in reply to RobJe

quote:

Perhaps the posts have been a bit hard on you Mark!

yeah, they're a hard lot, but i'm used to it by now....

...only kidding!

seriously, i haven't felt the posts have been hard on me, 'cos i have been told before that it's better for the sound to make guitars smaller, i just wanted to sound out people on here for their opinions and ideas on the subject.

I wouldn't want to ask any luthier to make some kind of Frankenstein monster they wouldn't be proud of, and actually this is all a bit hypothetical 'cos i don't actually have any money at the moment.... but one day!

meant to get back to Anders on a few things;

quote:

Also consider that adjusting to a very special guitar would mean that you wouldnt like to play other guitars. So no enjoying other peoples Reyes , Conde, Grundino etc. Scary, no?

i agree, but as i have played with a guitar support for a long time and this is the best way for me that i have tried so far (including trad position, paco de lucia position, footstool/manolo sanlucar position, etc.) i would have to put guitar support on any other guitar i would play, and often people don't want suction cups on their guitar.... ok, sure i can play for a little while in PDL or footstool/MS position, but not for long....

the idea of a big false frame/body that a standard size guitar fits into has the potential, though, of being used to fit any standard size guitar into it.... yeah, ok, i know, it's just a bit too crazy, but a nice idea!

quote:

No seriously, If you cant get a right position with a Gitano support. (I´ve played with it as well) I think you have to work seriously with your sitting position.

my sitting is fine, and like i said, with the guitar support is the best so far.... left hand is fine, and right hand fingers come on guitar ok, just that right hand wrist is a little too bent over, and i keep thinking that i want my forearm to be resting a little higher up than it does.... if the plantilla was wider it would do, and the wrist would be less bent.... i would love to have a webcam to show you exactly what i mean!

quote:

I take for granted that you use it on the right leg as you should on a flamenco guitar and not on the left leg as supposed on a classical.

yes, right leg, the guitar ends up in a more or less similar position to how you demonstrate holding the guitar in your video (thanks for posting that).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2008 10:36:40

Anders Eliasson

Mark

One of the things I disliked about the Gitano and the reason I skipped it was that the feel was not right. I didn´t have a feel of my body controling the Guitar and I used it for some years.

Another thing is that it leaves marks on the guitar and that the 2 suction cups are so wide that it doesnt fit a flamenco guitar. The suction cups stick out on both sides and thus they are loosing efectivity and sometimes the support falls of while playing. I´ve seen another model with just one bigger suction cup. I could imagine that it would work better

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2008 22:43:59

Anders Eliasson

quote:

my sitting is fine, and like i said, with the guitar support is the best so far.... left hand is fine, and right hand fingers come on guitar ok, just that right hand wrist is a little too bent over, and i keep thinking that i want my forearm to be resting a little higher up than it does.... if the plantilla was wider it would do, and the wrist would be less bent.... i would love to have a webcam to show you exactly what i mean!

Try putting the Gitano as far into the waist as possible. This makes the neck fall down a bit and thus lifting the lower bout a little bit. Just moving the support a centimeter changes the feel of the guitars position.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2008 22:47:32

edguerin

quote:

keep thinking that i want my forearm to be resting a little higher up than it does...

Mark, I know just how you feel

I've come to live with it (I'm 6'4'')

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2008 23:58:25
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages