Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Yamaha CG171SF discontinued?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HolyEvil

RE: Yamaha CG171SF discontinued? (in reply to andresito

quote:

ORIGINAL: andresito

If anyone down under is still furtively searching for the mythical Yamaha CG171-SF, may I suggest you first check out one of Katoh's new range
http://westwoodguitarcompany.com/Katoh_Classical_Guitars.htm
I bashed out some bulerias chords on the flamenco model in the shop and it was impressive, especially for the price. Nice to play, light, and loud.

disclaimer: I have no connection business or otherwise with Katoh guitars

I saw this Katoh flamenco guitar about 2 wks back and I have to say if I knew about this, I wouldn't have bought the yamaha.. playing it feels more like a flamenco guitar. altho the one I tried had a high action over the 12th fret compared to the yamaha.. but i'm sure there are others with a better setup
the tone is much better than the yamaha too..

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 15:53:13

GuitarVlog

RE: Yamaha CG171SF discontinued? (in reply to HolyEvil

I have a strange feeling that HolyEvil stumbled on something.

Has anyone checked the major online retailers in the US lately? As of this evening, the Yamaha CG171SF is NOT being offered by any one of them!

EDIT:
The story gets even stranger. Many of the Yamaha classical guitars (CG111, CG131, CG151, and CG171) are being marked as clearance items and in limited quantities.

Could they be revamping the entire line again?

EDIT EDIT:
I got the scoop! The entire line has been redesigned. It launches in May 2010!

quote:

For 2010, the CG series has been completely redesigned to offer simply the best classical guitar at an eminently affordable price. With many features taken from the Japanese Handcrafted GC line, the new CG guitars aim to offer the very best acoustic performance and playability along with subtly updated cosmetics – making these the best CG classicals ever.

FINAL EDIT:
And now the bad news. The CG171SF is not being replaced with a new flamenco model. It looks like there won't be one.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2010 22:47:45

selvaman

I have been using an older CGX 171SCF professionally for the last 7 years and I love the sound and responsiveness of the B-Band undersaddle transducer, although it has failed me 3 times and now and so I have finally retired the guitar permanently.
The older models are made in Taiwan and have Ebony fingerboards and a 52mm nut.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL - these guitars are now made in China and Yamaha in their infinite wisdom have changed the spec of the nut to a mere 48mm!! No good at all for Flamenco or classical styles! The fingerboard is now rosewood and after ordering one and then sadly having to return it I can tell you the quality of the rest of the woods does not compare to the older model.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 9:45:54

GuitarVlog

RE: Yamaha CG171SF discontinued? (in reply to selvaman

I think the CGX171SCF (the acoustic electric version) always had a 48mm nut width. Don't know why.

They switched the fingerboards from ebony to rosewood even while they were made in Taiwan. They did the same for the classical versions, the CG171S and the CG171C. The higher-end models in the 2010 classical line-up will have ebony fretboards again. I did think that their undersaddle pick-up combined with a condenser mike on a flexible neck was an excellent idea.

I'm not bothered by the move from Taiwan to China. They merely consolidated the guitar manufacturing at the same city as their piano manufacturing. Yamaha still makes their guitars in their fully-owned subsidiary. They don't sub-contract to a third party.

Of course, we might as well scratch them off the shopping list since they don't have flamencas anymore.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 12:09:11

larrygraham

I confirmed my Yamaha 171SCF flamenco electric guitar made in Kaohsiung Taiwan has a nut width of 52mm. The pickups and electronics in 171SCF give excellent value for this guitar. Here are the specs..

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2010 20:24:48

larrygraham

Full range of Yamaha guitars made in Kaohsiung Taiwan (ca 2005)
For reference.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2010 20:30:37

iveney

I also want to buy this guitar as a beginner.
However, as I searched through nearly all the online stores I can find,
no one is availabel :(
except for the electric one

If anyone know where I can buy please tell me!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2010 22:56:07

GuitarVlog

RE: Yamaha CG171SF discontinued? (in reply to iveney

Check the Guitar Center brick-and-mortar stores in the San Francisco Bay Area or in your local area. Each of them here has been offering 1 to 3 of the CG171SF for this Labor Day weekend.

I don't know how they got them but I suspect these may have been "last-time-buy" stock since you can't find it on Guitar Center's online store.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2010 0:11:33

samuelgray

quote:

Katoh guitar

Hello, i am thinking to buy Katoh because as you explain i thinks it will provides me a better shopping experience.

Replica watches

Windsor Hills
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2012 15:57:11
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll