Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Canadians beware...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Canadians beware... 

I'm continuing to watch Steven Fry's entertaining and educational journey through the United States (on BBC television).

This time we visited the northerly states of N.Dakota and Montana (hey...they've even got a Glasgow there!!).

It never occured to me that the Canadian/US border would ever be patrolled or anything.

But I was wrong.

This area is monitored by armed Border Patrol officers on the lookout for Canadian riff-raff trying to creep into the US in the middle of the night.

One very patriotic guard mentioned something about land of freedom and opportunity and protecting the Homeland etc.

So Estevan and Conrad (and others)....if you are hatching any plans, I'd say forget it....
These guy's will be onto you in a second!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 2:38:18

TANúñez

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

I'm continuing to watch Steven Fry's entertaining and educational journey through the United States (on BBC television).

This time we visited the northerly states of N.Dakota and Montana (hey...they've even got a Glasgow there!!).

It never occured to me that the Canadian/US border would ever be patrolled or anything.

But I was wrong.

This area is monitored by armed Border Patrol officers on the lookout for Canadian riff-raff trying to creep into the US in the middle of the night.

One very patriotic guard mentioned something about land of freedom and opportunity and protecting the Homeland etc.

So Estevan and Conrad (and others)....if you are hatching any plans, I'd say forget it....
These guy's will be onto you in a second!

cheers,

Ron

I had no idea Canada even had any riff-raff. Aside from Conrad of course. I always tell my wife Canada must be a very nice place to live. You never hear about Canada's exonomic struggles or about them going to war or being victoms of terroristic activity. It just seems like a wonderful country where people mind their own business and get along. I could be wrong though and I just don't hear about it but until Canadians tell me otherwise, I like Canada.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 6:53:01

Conrad

Ha! We are a well kept secret. Shhhhh (And I realize that statement could be as ambiguous as our national identity, hehe) Nah... clearly I'm biased but Canada is a mostly laid back, expansively beautiful, inclusive place for all so come on over, eh! I feel very fortunate to be living here. I think about it often except I don't go shouting it from the rooftops... but recently my close relationship with the health care system has made me feel unusually grateful.

Ron... we have "New Glasgow" in Nova Scotia, so beat that, "Old Glasgow"!!! pfff

And it's true about those obnoxious Yankee border guards. They are terrifyingly good at what they do. They can get you tripping over yourself. Don't even try the whitest of lies in their presence. They have a sixth sense for those things and they are big, loud, proud and scary! Don't mess with Texas... don't mess with 'Merrrca' I say!

Ya, the border patrolling is really strong on the American side for the drug trade and for 'terrists' that we potentially let in to our country. In fact, next year everyone in Canada will require a passport to cross the border just by land.

And it's true, we aim to be a responsible, peacekeeping nation except that we are in Afghanistan now and that is a hotly debated issue within the country.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 11:12:52

Ron.M

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to Conrad

quote:

Ha! We are a well kept secret.

That's interesting Conrad,
I remember an American guy saying to me "Canada's great....it's like the US without all the hassle!"

Still...as we speak...there still could be some renegade Canadian bums taking off their shoes and tip-toeing across the border to get their hands on Bogdan's money..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 11:31:33

Conrad

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to Conrad

Hehehe Actually... for the laugh I was going to write almost verbatim that sentence for my response and leave it at that because it is very suitable, but then thought better because it was too simplified. But I absolutely acknowledge the close ties and similarities we share with our American brethren.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 11:50:03

cathulu

Boy I am surprised by that. Is that a joke? The riff-raff is purely on the American side.

I was recently in Osoyoos in the Okanogan - beautiful country, the Northern tip of the Sonoran Desert infact - and I could wander into the United States quite easily. It was just a hop over a falling apart fence along a path that was already well travelled.

Some border crossings are self-reporting, at least until recently, e.g. Stewart, B.C. and Haider, Alaska and Standstead, Quebec and some town in Vermont. I think the main street in town is the border, and there is even a library that straddles the border and has a black line down the middle! What about the Iroquois, their reserve crosses the border and they go back and forth no problemo.

9/11, may that day be forgotten in the dust bin of history as soon as possible, Insha'allah! A bunch of crazies that legally got into the US and hatched their plans there really screwed things up for the everyman - and the US blamed Canada for letting them in when we had nothing to do with it! It is nuts, I hope Obama gets rid of Homeland Security. It only makes the law abiding feel safe. We should get rid of our borders, not harden them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 15:16:39

andresito

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathulu
9/11, may that day be forgotten in the dust bin of history as soon as possible,

I don't think the U.S. are going to let themselves or the world forget it in a hurry, if ever (notice it's not usually referred to as 'September 11, 2001' or 9/11/2001)...

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 16:30:14

kovachian

And to think, I almost became a Border Patrol guard. I took the test, passed with flying colors and they were all ready to sign me off to the academy before I backed out. It was weird, one minute I was all psyched then I suddenly realized that I didn't want to be a cop. The level of danger just didn't seem commensurate with the level of pay, but that's my own opinion.

This was all based on the assumption that I'd have been stuck at the Mexican border of course.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 18:01:29

Estevan

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

I had no idea Canada even had any riff-raff. Aside from Conrad of course.

Oh Tom, you're too kind

quote:

It just seems like a wonderful country where people mind their own business and get along. I could be wrong though and I just don't hear about it but until Canadians tell me otherwise, I like Canada.

All in all, it's a very decent place. Come up and see us sometime! If you come to Toronto, that will give (that riff-raff) Conrad and me an excuse to meet. But not until spring, which will be... about six months from now.

quote:

Still...as we speak...there still could be some renegade Canadian bums taking off their shoes and tip-toeing across the border to get their hands on Bogdan's money..

Ron, it's not clear which is more scary, that, or the notion of widely available non-profit healthcare.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 18:11:25

Anders Eliasson

I´m with Tom.

Since I was a kid I always wanted to live in Canada (or Alaska) When I was about 8 -10years old my dad was offered a good job there but he turned it down.

So maybe one day.... Canada. One thing though, the winters... are pretty long, no?

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2008 23:28:05

Francisco

Yeah, gets pretty cold up there. Too bad, I'd move in a heartbeat if I could take my climate with me. Can't stand the cold!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2008 2:27:36

Conrad

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

It's not that bad. Depends where you are and who you are. You get four true seasons which I love. Anyway, with global warming, we'll be in really good shape!

Yes, in Toronto it's very hot in the summer and quite cold in the winter because of the humidity, and smog can escalate sometimes, but a lot of Canada is very tolerable. In southern B.C. the climate is very temperate, almost ideal (rarely below zero) and almost never snows at lake level and it's stunningly gorgeous with all those enormous coniferous trees, mountains etc... In fact, on some of the islands it doesn't even rain that much. That's where I want to be eventually, but parts of the East Coast are charming and some of Quebec has old-world appeal like Europe, although you have to deal with the separatists and "parle Quebecois".

Ya Estevan... what's the deal with that? Who are you anyway! Just kidding, we'll probably meet eventually.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2008 3:34:10

Francisco

Well, I stand corrected.

I guess I should do a little more research. I seriously was considering moving a few years ago. We get the four seasons around here too, but I really only need about 3.

It's funny, but I was just watching a program that reviewed the bad ice storm that happened back in Ontario '98. Brrrr.

Sounds like S. BC is the place to be, or so it seems. Nice climate, cool ppl, not to mention the native flora.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2008 19:01:29

edguerin

quote:

So maybe one day.... Canada.

Yeah, bring flamenco to the Yucon!

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 8:45:51

cathulu

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to edguerin

Regarding Flamenco, guess who's tour schedule? Someone has already been to the Yukon and it wasn't Paco.

Oct 04 Summerside, PEI Jubilee Theatre
Oct 05 Fredericton, NB The Playhouse
Oct 06 Moncton, NB Capitol Theatre
Oct 07 Pictou, NS Decoste Centre
Oct 09 Saint John, NB The Imperial Theatre
Oct 10 Halifax, NS The Rebecca Cohn Aud.
Oct 12 at the Kay Meek Centre, Vancouver BC 8pm
Oct 13 Maple Ridge, BC Maple Ridge Arts Centre
Oct 14 Madeira Park, BC Pender Harbour Music Society
Oct 16 Kelowna, BC Creekside Theatre
Oct 17 Golden, BC Golden Civic Centre
Oct 18 Red Deer, AB Red Deer Centre
Oct 19 Calgary, University Theatre
Oct 20 Edmonton, AB Festival Place
Oct 23 Whitehorse, YK Yukon Arts Centre
Oct 26/27 Yellowknife, NT Northern Arts & Cult. Centre
Oct 29 Kenora, ON Knox United Church
Oct 30 Winnipeg, MB West End Cult. Centre
Nov 02 Port Hope, ON The Capitol Theatre

I was at the Kay Meek Centre...

And yes, BC is the place to be! Onterrible, yes I used to live there once and it is nice once you go North to Parry Sound etc but I am glad to be back on the West Coast. I can cycle and scooter practically year round.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 10:44:26

cathulu

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to Francisco

Hey, if you really only need about 3 then maybe you will want 2 better! Move to the far North and have only two seasons, Winter and about 8 weeks of Summer.

At least those 8 weeks will be glorious with sunshine round the clock!

Oh and the native Flora is hot!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 10:48:29

itoprover

RE: Canadians beware... (in reply to cathulu

OMG, even thread about Canada eventually becomes JM thread on this forum. LOL :)))

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 13:17:53

Francisco

quote:

Hey, if you really only need about 3 then maybe you will want 2 better! Move to the far North and have only two seasons, Winter and about 8 weeks of Summer.

D'oh!
More of a Spring/Summer/Fall rotation is what I'm shooting for, but thanks for the offer. Anywhere in Canada that has that kind of rotation?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2008 17:16:31
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post