Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Windows XP service pack3   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

Windows XP service pack3 

Has anyone installed it. Any problems, anything of importance. any comments?

Every time I open my computer, the official windows updater tells me to update with this package.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 0:26:48

ToddK

RE: Windows XP service pack3 (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Yeah, i get the same thing. But i never update it, cause it gives
me the dreaded "Back up your system before you perform this update".

Too scary for me. I'll pass.

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 0:59:11

Florian

RE: Windows XP service pack3 (in reply to ToddK

i dont update ...

i once updated to sp 1 and i had more problems then before and made my pc slower...so i figure whats the point ?

they always talk about critical security updates i never need,

all this updates and i have never once seen or felled a real difference for the better (atlist not for what i need)

if it aint broken dont fix it

last time i updated my windows..it told me that i used my xp windows serial number...wich is legit too many times..and i needed to give them another one...
it would not let me log on to my own computer..i had to call a friend to get me a illegal serial no...and i did ! they is crazy if they think i am going to go out and buy another copy of XP..

Is it just me or when you buy something you should be able to use it as much as you like ? for as long as you like ? install and reinstall everyday if i feel like it.

whats it to them how many times i install it on my own pc...i suggest you guys all prepare yourselfs too...because there is a limit on the times you can use the same serial number installing xp...i dont know what it is, but when you need it the most they will lock you out of your computer and theres nothing you can do, if you dont put in a diff serial number they wont let you start windows...so u should have a spare serial number somewhere not on your computer..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 1:20:37

Pgh_flamenco

I installed service pack 3 and haven't had any problems. SP2 really caused my computer to slow down, but nothing like that happened with SP3. You never hear about problems like this with Apple computers.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 6:15:54

Escribano

Hi Anders. Been running SP3 with no problems ever since it was available. Been using Windows Update for years, with no problems - but then I would say that wouldn't I?

Service Packs fix a bunch of stuff, including:

1. Bug Fixes (yes, all software has bugs)
2. Security Vulnerabilities
3. Performance tweaks

No Service Packs, no fixes.

I always back up my own files to a cheap 8GB USB thumbdrive. Video captures and editing projects are on a 500 GB USB drive.

Only virus I ever caught was when I worked at Apple, on a Mac and recently AVG detected one in a file passed to me by my girlfriend - from a Mac.

quote:

there is a limit on the times you can use the same serial number installing xp

There is no install limit. A personal XP licence is yours for life as long as you don't swap the motherboard and other key components. There is a complex scoring mechanism to determine this.

Your symptoms read like the SP detected a leaked serial number (product key). This can happen if someone gives away a Volume OEM product key. A Volume OEM product key is designed to run on multiple legit computers but I think Microsoft monitor how many to determine if the key is leaked i.e. more than were sold to the OEM (manufacturer).

So, if your computer came with a legit copy of XP installed, download the "key Changer" application directly from Microsoft. Run the application and enter the key on the certification of authenticity found on/under your computer or original CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

Hope it helps.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 11:45:41

Florian

RE: Windows XP service pack3 (in reply to Escribano

oh..thanks...thats good to know..

its solved now but i gues good for future reference
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 12:26:54

cathulu

RE: Windows XP service pack3 (in reply to Florian

I think somewhere between SP 2 and SP 3 there was an update that checked the validity of your copy of Windows XP on your computer. I didn't want Microsoft snooping around on my computer but eventually I relented, got tired of continually denying.

I also installed SP 3 with no problems. Probably includes that snooping software.

I would not want to run Windows XP without SP 2.

I want to change to Linux one day, I just don't want to right now as I have some peripherals that do not have linux drivers, including my scanner for example.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 16:01:31

Arash

RE: Windows XP service pack3 (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

Hi Anders. Been running SP3 with no problems ever since it was available. Been using Windows Update for years, with no problems - but then I would say that wouldn't I?

Service Packs fix a bunch of stuff, including:

1. Bug Fixes (yes, all software has bugs)
2. Security Vulnerabilities
3. Performance tweaks

No Service Packs, no fixes.

I always back up my own files to a cheap 8GB USB thumbdrive. Video captures and editing projects are on a 500 GB USB drive.

Only virus I ever caught was when I worked at Apple, on a Mac and recently AVG detected one in a file passed to me by my girlfriend - from a Mac.

quote:

there is a limit on the times you can use the same serial number installing xp

There is no install limit. A personal XP licence is yours for life as long as you don't swap the motherboard and other key components. There is a complex scoring mechanism to determine this.

Your symptoms read like the SP detected a leaked serial number (product key). This can happen if someone gives away a Volume OEM product key. A Volume OEM product key is designed to run on multiple legit computers but I think Microsoft monitor how many to determine if the key is leaked i.e. more than were sold to the OEM (manufacturer).

So, if your computer came with a legit copy of XP installed, download the "key Changer" application directly from Microsoft. Run the application and enter the key on the certification of authenticity found on/under your computer or original CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

Hope it helps.

Some parts of this post could have been from Bill Gates himself (specially the virus part)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 23:16:21

Anders Eliasson

Ok, thanks for the answers. I will update.

I just remember some serious problems with number or 2 service pack, thats why I asked.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2008 23:55:06

NormanKliman

Hi Anders,

As Simon's pointed out, the update is supposed to fix security problems, among other things, so it's in one's interest to go through with it. Over the years and on different computers, I've always had unexpected problems with these updates, but you can usually find a solution on the Internet if you type your error message into Google.

The last time around, this error message kept coming up:

UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2
175.047: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.

If that's your problem, let me know and I'll post the solution.

Best,
Norman

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2008 23:18:10

Haizum

Same here. I had no problems at all with sp3. Can't say i noticed it running better but I been using Tune up utilities and ncleaner which can help speed up stuff abit and remove certain security issues too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2008 9:48:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post