Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

CONDE HERMANOS ?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

yc.flamenco

CONDE HERMANOS ? 

ARE THE FELIPE V A26 AND A25 FACTORY MADE OR HANDMADE. AND WHY ARE THE GRAVINA 7 SELLING FO SOME MUCH LESS? I KNOW THEY COME FORM DIFFRENT SHOPS BUT WHAT ARE THE DIFFRECNES IN SOUND AND QUALITY.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 10:34:16

Ricardo

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to yc.flamenco

Good question. You may never know the true answer, but the fact is it is hard to believe two guys can "handmake" ALL those A model guitars out there. My educated guess is many are HANDMADE but outside of Madrid, probably in Valencia. I played one Gravina Conde that felt and smelled like another maker I was familiar with from Granada. Conde's from the other shop ATOCHA, compare closer to the Felipe V makes. Interestingly, I just played a Conde from ATOCHA from 1960!!! It had both Gravina and ATOCHA adresses inside, and was super similar to the Sobrinos de esteso I have from Gravina, 1970's. So this whole "who makes it?" thing has been going on for DECADES.

After much comparing I decided also a few years ago, it does not matter much to me the player. Conde guitars are usually higher quality in terms of sound and feel compared to most of the guitars made in Valencia. I have a nice sounding instrument from HERMANOS SANCHIS LOPEZ which I am not sure is considered a "factory" guitar, but it does not feel as high quality as any Conde I have, and is indeed much cheaper. Likewise the suposed handmade "Sobrinos de Esteso" I have from the 70's, is not some how vastly superior to the modern Condes I have (factory or not).

Anyway, not an answer but for what it is worth, my opinion.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 11:12:50

Ron.M

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to Ricardo

Believe it or not.
I have actually tried a Conde!
(Here in Scotland!)
It sounded a pretty reasonable guitar to me... Not bad..
But not anything more than my Bernal (Jerez/Cadiz) or Anders Eliasson (Granada/Huelva) to be honest...

Sorry to be the destroyer of Legends here...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 12:42:27

koella

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to yc.flamenco

I NEVER PLAEYD A CONDE, BUT I SURE WOUDL LIKE TO TYR ONE ONE DAY !!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 13:07:05

Ron.M

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to koella

KOELLA..YOU ARE TOTALLY P*SSED, GO TO BED!
Anyway (if you can still read this)..
Believe me Koella,
Playing a Conde will totally transform your playing...
All these guys you hear and are amazed by are really not that much better than you or me in real life... (or even JM)
It's that Conde sound that counts.
That's what makes you sound great, regadless of technique and stuff.

(Maybe I better go to bed also... )

cheers.

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 13:15:43

Tom Blackshear

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

Believe me Koella,
All these guys you hear and are amazed by are really not that much better than you or me in real life... (or even JM)

cheers.

Ron

I realize that everyone has his likes and dislikes about guitars but the reality for me is to pick up any guitar that has quality and see the way it transforms this player into it own soul nature/duende. Very few guitars like this come along but when they do, I know it.

And to be frank, I played a lower priced Conde against the Felipe V and it had a better voice. So, I think what this tells us is that we have a choice to not spend a lot of money concerning these issues.

I just got a call from a dear friend of mine and Poncho Navarro's. He told me Poncho just made a Reyes copy that is astounding, and for the money, you can't beat it.

I'm sure Tom Nunez sells this style.

Also, I checked out the pattern for the Felipe V and it appears that its quite different from the older Faustino guitars in the 60's. There was a certain sound in the older models that I liked a lot. Nino Ricardo had a '55 of that style, I believe. But whatever design you choose, it depends on the guitar to make its statement regarding the quality.

And I also think it depends on whether you care for a factory guitar or an independent builder whose hands are totally on his work.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 13:53:17

koella

RE: CONDE HERMANOS ? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

Believe me Koella,
That's what makes you sound great, regadless of technique and stuff.

(Maybe I better go to bed also... )

cheers.

Ron

HI RON. I DIND'T MANAGE TO READ TEH HOLE POST, BUT I BELIEVE I SWA MY NAME SOMWEAR IN IT SO TAHNSK FOR THE RWPLY.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2008 15:06:03
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post