Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Yairi Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

sig

Yairi Flamenco 

Hi Fellow Flamencos,
I am considering purchasing a 1992 Yairi GF350 cy/sp Flamenco. It has a red strip down the middle of the headstock that matches the rosewood binding. It's signed by H. Yairi... The seller is asking $3,000 but it needs a new Golpeador and perhaps the top could be refinished as it was owned by a professional so it has a few dings and dents. The machines look to be cheaper model Fustero's but i'm not sure... Any ideas if the asking price is in the realistic range?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2008 7:13:18

sig

RE: Yairi Flamenco (in reply to sig

Just an update from my original message, I checked out the guitar last night and it is a K Yairi not "H" like I was told originally. The top is Cedar and the back and sides are Cypress. The label says handcrafted model GF350. Someone put a golpeador right over the original factory installed one with out removing the original, not sure why you would do that? The top could use a re-finish but overall the instrument is in good shape. I was also told it was owned by a Canadian Flamenco professional. The saddle is higher on the treb side than the bass and not sure why either. The guitar sounds very good and seems "loud" yet projects very well perhaps due to the Cedar top. I still think the price is way too high especially since it needs some top work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2008 6:33:09

Tom Blackshear

RE: Yairi Flamenco (in reply to sig

I can't speak for the selling price as I try to keep my opinions silent on that but you might want to figure the costs to bring the guitar to like new condition. In a case like this, it might be prohibitive to try and manage sales cost and repair.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sig

Just an update from my original message, I checked out the guitar last night and it is a K Yairi not "H" like I was told originally. The top is Cedar and the back and sides are Cypress. The label says handcrafted model GF350. Someone put a golpeador right over the original factory installed one with out removing the original, not sure why you would do that? The top could use a re-finish but overall the instrument is in good shape. I was also told it was owned by a Canadian Flamenco professional. The saddle is higher on the treb side than the bass and not sure why either. The guitar sounds very good and seems "loud" yet projects very well perhaps due to the Cedar top. I still think the price is way too high especially since it needs some top work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Sig--

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2008 8:26:37

sig

RE: Yairi Flamenco (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Tom,
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your thoughts on this and actually I just emailed a local luthier regarding the possible repairs. Some of the information i've been getting is indicated that the Yairi is a decent instrument but not collectable and as such, probably not worth making a substantial investment. If i'm going to spend that much I'd just as soon put a few more dollars towards the cause and have an instrument made. I guess i'm always looking for a diamond in the rough and for the right price I might consider this instrument but it isn't looking like that is the case... Thanks again for your thoughts.
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2008 9:26:53
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote