Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Flamenco Piano (real flamenco)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: Flamenco Piano (real flamenco) (in reply to mark74

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark74

Andalusia, while the piano was imported from northern Europe and imposed upon the people as a symbol of aristocratic Christian culture

I love the guitar but there is a lot about the piano of which I am jealous.

I wish someone had imposed one on me.

I think that happened to some of my friends, in a dream.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2013 20:04:25

Bliblablub

quote:

Even when theyre playing phrygian scales it seems it loses some of its Moorish essence on the piano. It becomes more like a classical composer creating a study based on a Spanish dance than the actual Spanish dance.

After all the guitar evolved out of the Oud right there in the streets of Andalusia, while the piano was imported from northern Europe and imposed upon the people as a symbol of aristocratic Christian culture

I dont care where the piano comes from or whether the guitar evolved from the oud or not. Diego Amador plays better than your average flamenco guitarist and it is noticeable in the amazing sound he produces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2013 21:16:19

Erik van Goch

quote:

After all the guitar evolved out of the Oud right there in the streets of Andalusia, while the piano was imported from northern Europe and imposed upon the people as a symbol of aristocratic Christian culture

Were do you think the Oud came from? Wasn't that imported as well? On top the guitar did not evolve out of the Oud but is in a funny way a child of Spain's Christian cultured resistance against the moorish shaped lute.

Our first (western) written source of Spanisch medieval instruments is a book called "Cantigas de Santa Maria" (ca 1270) showing various instruments known in Spain at that very moment. Amongst them were the round shaped Guitarra Morisca and the flat Guitarra Latina. The Guitarra Latina is officially considered to be the direct ancestor of the guitar, it had 4 double strings tuned "dgbe". During the renaissance the moorish based lute became very popular in the whole of europa, except in Spain were around 1500 it was structurally replaced by the Vihuela. I guess the lute became an instrument non grata in Spain because it's round shape was regarded to be a symbol of the former arab conquerers, so shortly after the last Moors were kicked out of Spain so was the lute(shape) which was structurally replaced by the Vihuela, basically a Guitarra Latina with added strings on both sides A(dgbe)a, copying the tuning of the lute but avoiding its moorish shape. This relative tuning was practiced in various keys including ead#fbe (rondeña tuning). In Spanish Christian paintings even the angels started playing the Vihuela in stead of the lute after 1500. During the 16th century the Guitarra Latina itself (dgbe) remained a very popular folk instrument and was simply called Guitarra. During the Baroque another Spanisch string instrument evolved from it by adding a fifth string a(dgbe). This instrument was called Guitarra Española, which also referred to the way it was played (with lots of rasguedos). In spain it soon replaced the (lute replacing) Vihuela. After 1750 gradually a 6th string was added e(adgbe) and around 1800 the double strings became 6 single strings. Last step was that it's shape gradually evolved into the shape we know today as the guitar. So one evolutionary line of the medieval Guitarra Latina imitated the lute by adding a string on both sides of the instrument making it a Vihuela A(dgbe)a, wile another evolutionary line lead to the guitar by gradually adding additional strings to the base side over time: Guitarra Latina (dgbe)>Guitarra Española a(dgbe)>Guitar e(adgbe).

This one looks a bit like the guitarra latina using 4 single strings in stead of 4 double ones

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 2:01:15
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post