Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Daniel Mari or Luthier strings?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

wilicry

Daniel Mari or Luthier strings? 

Hi, new to the group. I'm a professional Jazz/Rock guitarist for many years now. Yes I play electric. Run for the hills!

Now that we have that out of the way; I am just starting to get into Flamenco and I have a decent 40 year old guitar with cedar top and rosewood back.

I am going through the string finding nightmare and I have no idea what is on the guitars now. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Daniel Mari or Luthier strings. My guitar has good treble sustain but is a bit bassy on the D string and I read where the Mari strings have a bassy D.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2008 12:50:54

rpguitar

RE: Daniel Mari or Luthier strings? (in reply to wilicry

Hi there,

I play electric and steel acoustic too, so never fear. I have several nylon guitars though, and have tried numerous types of strings. I think the Luthier 20's have a nice bright, slick sound. The basses are great - punchy and smooth to play. I did not like the one set of Mari strings I tried.

I have two blancas and a Bolivian rosewood negra, plus a cedar/IRW classical and an early 70's Brazilian Craviola (Google it). All enjoy different strings, including the ubiquitous D'Addario Pro Artes in different flavors (EJ45, 45C, and 49 with black trebles). Some people like La Bella 820B's with the black or red trebles.

You just have to experiment. Bienvenidos!

Roger

--
'08 Eliasson hybrid blanca, '07 Hmnos Sanchis Lopez Bulerias negra, '72 Conde blanca
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2008 17:31:12

wilicry

RE: Daniel Mari or Luthier strings? (in reply to wilicry

Thanks Roger. This info helps a lot. I'm just trying to avoid as much string buying and experimentation as possible do mainly to time. :) I tried D'Addario Pro Arte normal and did not like them so now I have on the guitar a very old set pulled from another guitar and they sound great but I have no idea what they are. I'm leaning to the Luthier at this point as a good starting place.

Thanks again!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2008 18:13:54

wilicry

Follow up : Daniel Mari or Luthier s... (in reply to wilicry

Just put on a set of Augustine Black Label. Good deal at a local shop so I had to try them. After sitting in for a few hours they sound pretty nice. Still going to try some Luthier but will have to wait for them to come by mail. Not too many gut stringers in Austin so the shops don't carry much.

It's not a laminate top, it's a vintage double top.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2008 15:32:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post