Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Instruments you bought but don't play much   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Martin

Instruments you bought but don't pla... 

Does anyone else have a slowly growing collection of instruments that they bought , but never get the time to learn?

Looking round here there is a Puerto Rican Cuatro, a Syrian Oud, a Bandurria, even a Cuban Tres ( ok I made that one in the shed from a cheap requinto)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 12:10:05

duende

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to Martin

i also got an syrian oud. its pretty worn and misses one string cause the nut is broken (ouch) ..but i would love to learn

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 12:28:02

Ron.M

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to duende

I've got a Trumpet I got at 12, a kazoo I got at 15 when I was into Jesse Fuller stuff and a few Harmonicas (C,D & F) when I was into Delta Blues at 17....

Still can't play 'em properly though...

cheers,

Ron

PS. Oh yeah...I've still got an old "Harmony Sovereign" steel string guitar from the early 60's somewhere in the attic.
Anyone remember them?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 12:46:42

srshea

Nope. But I can certainly sympathize with that kind of acquisition impulse. Fortunately, I’ve been able to curb those impulses and avoid buying all those instruments I want but don’t need. In the past year or so I’ve gotten perilously close to clicking the buy-it-now button on an oud, Irish harp, trumpet, clarinet, and various members of the Latin American guitar family, but have managed not to do so, thankfully. Whenever that urge comes on and I starting sniffing around for some exotic new toy I remind myself that this flamenco thing is already hard enough, and that it’s what I’m truly interested in and should maintain my focus on. That tactic has worked, so far…..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 13:18:44

kovachian

I have a cello but the thing is, I play it all the time. I can't help it, it just sounds so sublime! I find myself dividing my time into roughly 60-70% cello, 30-40% guitar. I already played guitar for 20 years before I got into flamenco so I've found I can give up a little bit more guitar time to make room for more cello time which I need. This thing is a damn hard instrument! No frets, and the super thick bridge cable strings are about half a mile up off the fingerboard and they make guitar strings feel like wimpy little rubber bands by comparison.

I also have an accordion that belonged to my grandpa, but suffice to say that will be a conversation piece only.

And a harmonica somewhere but I can't find it.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 16:16:49

cathulu

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to kovachian

I've got a trumpet with sticking slides. I used to play as a kid. Funny enough I often would blow and twiddle my fingers in band. The only thing I could play decent was taps. I was often the guy that the conductor would try and find when the band was out of tune and off. I joined a marching band and went with my friend's dad to pick-up my friend at practice, the band master had me join in at the last bit, when he really heard me play solo I was demoted to 3rd trumpet!

I bought an electric guitar recently but rarely play it. When I do I like to jam along with Neil Young (e.g. Cortez the Killer for one - the live version) or with Joy Division. Strange bookends I know.

I got a left handed steel string guitar converted to right (Kovachian - do you want it? ). I bought it at a pawn shop for $100 with a friend who was the expert as I didn't know anything. Neither of us noticed anything wrong with it at the time. Later my brother-in-law gave me a plywood student nylon string guitar when I got interested in flamenco now replaced by my Raimundo 145.

I was going to buy a turkish oud like thing but they looked cheap and a guitar is enough of a handfill.

I used to have a mouth harp. Had a couple of toy harmonicas now lost.

I want to buy a nice african hand drum.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 20:48:12

XXX

A violin, which i gave up after 1 month, although i had the impression that i made fast progress with it. Such a shame i would have been 10times better violin player than guitar... but now i started guitar and have too much to learn for it. I also wouldnt know where to practise violin and its also a bit embarrasing to do practising as a beginner at home, when everyone hears that you are just starting with the instrument, lol.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2008 23:26:35

kovachian

Thanks cathulu but no thanks, three guitars is two more than I really need! Which reminds me, I have a fretless -and stringless- bass sitting in my closet, I need to sell it.

With funds permitting, I'd have the largest and most eclectic instrument collection around. Ouds and lutes and flutes and bagpipes and fiddles and pianos and kotos and who knows what else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 5:57:34

val

I've got a Flamenco guitar

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 15:48:19

cathulu

Kovachian

I thought you were left handed from an earlier post, but trying to play right handed, hence I thought it was a funny idea to give you my steel string guitar!

Maybe I got you confused with someone else? I know there is someone left handed trying to learn right handed... Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 16:32:40

srshea

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to XXX

quote:

...its also a bit embarrasing to do practising as a beginner at home...

Several years ago I had a clarinet on loan from a friend. I was living in an old building with thin walls that didn't offer much privacy in the noise department. I felt pretty silly squeaking away at Mary Had A Little Lamb....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 17:03:11

kovachian

No you're right cathulu, I am indeed a lefty who plays righty. I've pondered taking up various lefty instruments over the years but in the end, I always end up sticking with right-handed instruments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 17:28:59

Ailsa

I suffer from instrument acquisition syndrome.

I recently sold my clarinets on ebay because I thought it was silly to leave them sitting in the attic when someone could be playing them. I got a lot less than they are worth but at least they are being used now. I also sold a lot of my samba drums: surdo, caixa, 4-bell agogo, chocalho; a balafon and a Tunisian drum which was so loud I didn't dare play it because it might frighten the neighbours.

Now I'm just left with 2 djembes, a tall African drum (don't know the name), a repinique, a ganzar, 4 pandeiros, many shakers of various descriptions, an electric guitar and two flamenco guitars and a penny whistle. Oh and an upright piano.

When I wanted to learn sax a couple of years ago I got an instrument on hire. I loved it and played in public once. But in the end I realised that to get as good as I wanted I was going to have to put more time into than I knew I was prepared to, so gave it back after six months.

I also suffer from flamenco dress acquisition syndrome.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2008 9:04:50

cathulu

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to Ailsa

Which begs the question... how many pairs of shoes? I can see someone developing a flamenco shoe fetish!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2008 16:50:17

Ailsa

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathulu
I can see someone developing a flamenco shoe fetish!

Ho yes

You should see some of the designs on flamenco-world.com (drool)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 0:24:47

HemeolaMan

i don't have any that i don't play, but i do have:

8 guitars, 7 electric one flamenco,

1: guitoud, which is a nylon guitar i de-fretted and tuned the strings to bb dd bb

1 banjo, which i tune to a bminor triad

1 duduk, which is the most sublime instrument ever!

5 didjeridus

1 kalyuka

1 fujara

a piano,

a 55 gallon drum set

1 cajon

1/2 of an mbira

lol, that enough for you?

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 18:46:17

cathulu

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to HemeolaMan

Never heard of the Duduk, then I followed this link...

Yes, I can understand why you think this is sublime! It is a beautiful sounding instrument, very expressive and it sounds like a human voice almost - which is why I think it is so very attractive to the ear.

One of my favourites is the Oboe - similar in many ways but a bit more nasal. A favourite of Ennio Morricone - makes your hair stand on end when you are in the right mood...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 20:57:43

kovachian

Those who suffer from instrument acquisition syndrome (myself included) but don't have the means to traverse the globe to collect them, would probably love stores like this one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2008 16:24:51

Ailsa

Wow kovachian that looks like an amazing store - just as well I don't live on the west coast of USA or I'd practically live in there.

And yes I know they do mail order, but I'm feeling very strong willed this morning
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 1:15:06

a_arnold

No, just 4 flamenco guitars.

Oh. And there's a classical, technically.

Um. And an oud I got in Marocco, but rarely play, because I only ue it to accompany a guitar in bulerias, so that hardly counts.

I forgot the sitar, but only because I'm blocking. It took me 8 years of lessons to realize I couldn't do that AND guitar as well as I wanted to do both. So the sitar doesn't count, really.

Neither does the bouzouki or the balalaika, because I only learned a few songs on them.

A few misc drums don't really count, do they? They're only drums, after all.

And the bagpipe practice pipe and the fife don't really count either, being wind. Likewise the harmonica.

And the really old ivory-fretted Italian guitar isn't playable, just a wall hanger, so that definitely doesn't count. Likewise the antique Washburn parlor guitar. Well, it's playable, technically, but who would want to?

And the harpsichord. I guess that counts. Except not really, since I built it rather than buying it. Not paying for it means it doesn't count.

And a bandurria and a mandolin, but they hardly matter. And some strange African 3-stringed calfskin-topped bowed lute-like instrument I got in Marrakesh after I saw 3 blind beggars playing them. It looks a bit like a rebec. I never learned to play it, so that doesn't count.

Is a tambourine really a musical instrument? I think not.

Oh wait. I did have a set of bagpipes, but I went to a Gaelic festival and left the car window down. Eventually I remembered it was open and I ran back to lock the car, but I got there too late. Someone had left another set of bagpipes on the seat. So now I have 2. But I figure the second set cancels out the first.

And I no longer have the accordion. My wife explained to me that a true gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't. So I sold it. But I can still threaten to play the bagpipes.

So really it's just a few flamenco guitars.

Tony Arnold
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 14:59:31

Mark2

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to a_arnold

Tony Arnold

quote:

Oh wait. I did have a set of bagpipes, but I went to a Gaelic festival and left the car window down. Eventually I remembered it was open and I ran back to lock the car, but I got there too late. Someone had left another set of bagpipes on the seat. So now I have 2. But I figure the second set cancels out the first.

LOL! I have more stuff than I have time to play with. 12 string, various electrics, oud, bass, keyboards, piano, drums, and logic, which in itself could consume all one's musical energy. Now I'm jonesin for an esraj. Those things make incredible sounds. No way to play a right handed one left handed though...... maybe I just saved myself some money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2008 8:29:53

Ron.M

quote:

My wife explained to me that a true gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.

That's brilliant Tony!

The bagpipe story is one of the best I've heard too! LOL!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2008 8:37:29

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_arnold

LOOL!! It must have been a shock for you.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2008 3:12:05

NeZ

I just have guitars of varying sorts, I do play them all but some definitely sit for long periods between playings though depending on what I'm concentrating on at the time.

I did buy a pedal steel that hasn't gotten as much use as I'd like. It's a very hard instrument to learn. I'm going to keep it though because it's still something I'd like to get back to eventually.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2008 18:19:42

Hola

I have a Gerundino which I have stored away and given up on playing, due to a great disillusionment with flamenco, or better said, with flamencos. Now I play a great Alhambra steel string and an Ibanez electric.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2008 6:52:10

Ron.M

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to Guest

quote:

given up on playing, due to a great disillusionment with flamenco, or better said, with flamencos.

Wow!
Can you expand on that a little, Sean?
At one time you produced a couple of Flamenco albums for some Cadiz singers and played in occasional juergas I believe.
Why the sudden change of heart?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2008 8:27:44

Estevan

quote:

Is a tambourine really a musical instrument? I think not.

Maybe yours isn't. Try this one:

or this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I love the bagpipe story! (Which is a traditional banjo story) How come it doesn't work that way with nice guitars?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2008 11:04:43

Estevan

quote:

Does anyone else have a slowly growing collection of instruments that they bought , but never get the time to learn?

OK, well I have a kanjira (see above) that I learned a little on, but it would take a lifetime of full-time dedication to learn properly, so it hasn't been played for a long time.
There are other instruments that I learned but rarely play any more. There was a period when I played a lot of Andean music, so amongst the remnants are a couple of charangos, and wind instruments such as sikus and kenas.
A few years ago I got a couple of cheap and cheerful electric guitars, and that was fun for a little while, but then along came flamenco.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2008 11:25:54

Mark2

Gotta love freakin e-bay This should arrive any day. I'm stoked!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2008 13:18:41

RE: Instruments you bought but don't... (in reply to Ron.M

A long story, Ron: I offered to make a CD for a great friend, José Millán, who was the most complete singer in Cádiz, but living in poverty and ill with high blood pressure. The agreement was that the CD would be cante, guitar and palmas only: I would pay the studio, the musicians and present José with 1000 discs.

However José suffered a brain operation just after completing the cante and the guitarist, who shall be nameless, thought his death would make the CD more saleable and saw a chance to make money by taking it over. He insisted on adding more instruments to the palos de rhythm, cajón, violin, coros, effects etc. I refused. He insisted and persuaded José´s wife and the studio technician to side with him. So I told him to f*** off and bring the disc out himself, paid the palmeros and refused to pay either him or the studio. This was a year ago and there is no sign of the CD.

Do you really want to know things like this? Better to keep a romantic view of flamenco

Seán
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2008 1:38:37
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote