Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

any priest fans?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

sara

any priest fans? 

rob had an in-store signing in long beach yesterday! would have been cooler if it were glenn, but i can't complain...

i'm really not a big fan of meeting famous people, but come on, it's the voice of metal! and...how much longer is he really going to be around?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

facebook.com/FlamencoBook
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 20:29:22

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:22:07
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 20:42:32

koella

RE: any priest fans? (in reply to sara

Haha !!
I can imagine he wants a photograph with you.
Your gourgeous.

Little then less left of his "sieg heil" image. OOPS !
I mean: little left of his gay-leather image.

I don't like the music. Like the guitar players though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 20:43:19

Arash

Hehe,,,,,heavy Metali ham hasti sara?

I was into Death metal when i was 18, 19, 20.....then switched to Heavy Metal....then Soft metal and E-Guitar music like from Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, etc....and now, well... no more metal :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 21:02:37

sara

Jb: haha, you rule!! like koella, i'm sure you would like the guitars!

Koella: well, that's nice, thank you. i'm pretty sure he didn't want a picture with me and would have much rather preferred one with any of the number of men there! hahaha. yeah, i'm not extremely knowledgeable, but from what i know, it seems that glenn tipton is to metal what PdL is to flamenco. great compositions and such.

Arash: it's more like dust pesaram divuneyeh judas priest hast, man ham vasatesh "fan" shodam. there's nothing i like better than an iranian listening to death metal!! too bad it's no more...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 22:55:45

Rain

I was a huge Priest fan when I was a kid---HUGE. I used to follow them around like a grateful dead fan. Had Defenders of the Faith album art painted on my jacket. I can't even tell you just how many times I've seen them in concert.

Last time I saw Halford was with his band Fight, amazing show, stage dived my ass off.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 23:06:07

Rain

RE: any priest fans? (in reply to koella

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2008 23:08:48

kovachian

BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAWWWW
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 0:03:14

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

yeah, i'm not extremely knowledgeable, but from what i know, it seems that glenn tipton is to metal what PdL is to flamenco. great compositions and such.

I’m not trying to start a flame war and please forgive the criticism, but Glenn Tipton was a marginal player at best. He tried to reinvent himself in the mid-1980’s by improving his technique and playing notes that fell outside the pentatonic scale, e. g., dorian mode, but even after he improved he still couldn’t play better than most of the people I knew. As for compositional skill there was never much there either—mostly root, 5th, octave chords. Any talented teenager who’s had a year’s worth of practice would compare favorably to Tipton; and by that I mean he or she would at least be his equal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 0:18:45

sara

RE: any priest fans? (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

hey John, no war, don't worry. i'm personally impressed with tipton's compositions. i think he's a great soloist, even if some of it is a little show-off material. i think the band as a whole has a great energy and influence in the metal world and tipton has a lot to do with the song-writing, which again, i can't say i know much about. as a listener, i think he's cool!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 0:35:54

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

i'm personally impressed with tipton's compositions. i think he's a great soloist, even if some of it is a little show-off material. i think the band as a whole has a great energy and influence in the metal world and tipton has a lot to do with the song-writing, which again, i can't say i know much about. as a listener, i think he's cool!!

Fair enough. I think most of the band's energy comes from Halford and they were pioneers in creating and promoting HM.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 0:49:08

TANúñez

Cool. It just so happens that I'm listening to 'Angel of Retribution'.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 1:52:26

duende

never been a Priest fan but they got a good bunch of songs. Great pic. olé for that.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 4:48:56

Ricardo

Awesome! I was into Racer X, and they copied a lot from Priest and did some covers. Love the vocals too. The singer in Racer X was friends with Halford and did a cover of an un released tune, heart of a lion. The guitars in Racer X were pretty amazing, even by todays standards or by flamenco standards. Congrats for you picture.

And Heart of a Lion:

The difference between Tipton and Gilbert is like the difference between Ottmar and Paco...but credit is due to the guys in priest for being the huge influence on metal, both vocals and the guitar duo thing.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 6:18:59

Rain

RE: any priest fans? (in reply to Ricardo

The guitars in Racer X were pretty amazing, even by todays standards or by flamenco standards. Congrats for you picture.

I would have to totally disagree with that. If you think playing fast scale patterns in poorly written songs amazing then yes Racer X is for you, but if your cup of tea is tasteful phrasing and solid song writing than any of the two guitarist from Priest would do just fine.
By todays standards the fellas in Racer X are not even in the game.

The comparison you made between Ottmar and Paco is unfair, one plays Flamenco very well and the other plays a new age spanish guitar style very well. But lets compare Ottmar to Gilbert or Marty who are not half the musicians that Ottmar is. Has anyone hear ever heard Ottmar play a Bulerias? I have and the man can play Flamenco Puro.

To all the tuned and amazing guitarist on this forum who so easily pass judgement on players such as Juan Martin and Ottmar i say this if you cant build up please don't tare down.

So yes you can't compare Tipton to Gilbert, after all one plays music and the other fast scales, and they both do their thing reaaly well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 12:39:32

Estevan

I confess my ignorance of JP, so I have some catching up to do there. But it's a nice photo and I thank you, Sara, for giving me the opportunity to use the one complete sentence of Farsi that I know - it's a bit formal but it's certainly true: Shoma besiar ziba hastid!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 15:35:52

sara

Ricardo: I have a huge crush on Paul Gilbert! haha I know a lot of you foro guys aren't too fond of Ottmar. maybe he hasn't been influential but he's still better than me! i'm glad many of you acknowledge that the guitars in Priest did have an impact. AND paul gilbert is playing in la next month and i'm sure to be there!

Estevan: well if you're going to throw compliments like that around, who needs to know anything about JP? hehe, thank you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 17:08:41

sig

I've always liked J.P. and while I agree that Tipton's guitar may not be true wizardry it certainly drives home the finer points of Metal. I especially like British Steel (almost can't stand looking at that cover!), Sin after Sin (Diamonds and Rust) Screaming for Vengence, and Hell Bent for Leather. I always smile when I hear Breaking The Law as it reminds me of my younger, wilder days...
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 21:25:23

Jim9guitars

Yeah, JP had some great songs, I was a teenage metalhead and every now and then I dig out some of that stuff and crank it up again. They had some kind of energy going on between the vocals and the guitars, lets not forget K K Downings contribution to the mix here.

Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2008 23:10:05

sara

HELLBENT, HELLBENT FOR LEATHER du du du du du du du du du du du du

aww, pobrecito KK. he wasn't included in this =(

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 4:39:29

Francisco

When I first started dating my wife (girlfriend at the time), our very first date was to a JP concert! hahaaha

We were huge JP fans, but then she started getting into the Scorpions more, and it became a bit of a rival between us. I argued that she just liked Mathias' spandex. LOL

I always won the debate by just letting out a huge Halford scream...
"..SSSssssscreeeeeaaaammmming for vengance" LOL

Ah man, good times! Thanks for taking me back down memory lane.

Edit: Cool pic btw.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 5:04:38

sara

aww what a badass/cute story! =)

scorpions are pretty cool! especially playing "there no one like you" on guitar hero!! hehe

but JP is always more powerful...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 6:02:58

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sara

Ricardo: I have a huge crush on Paul Gilbert! haha I know a lot of you foro guys aren't too fond of Ottmar. maybe he hasn't been influential but he's still better than me! i'm glad many of you acknowledge that the guitars in Priest did have an impact. AND paul gilbert is playing in la next month and i'm sure to be there!

Estevan: well if you're going to throw compliments like that around, who needs to know anything about JP? hehe, thank you

Cool, halford then Gilbert? Lucky you! Maybe I should come to LA. My friend Jesus lives in long beach, a great flamenco cantaor. Running into my old Metal heroes would be fun!

@Rain, I never said anything bad about Ottmar or JMartin. I guess you are right that it was not a good analogy anyway, since Tipton was the influence on Gilbert. But for me Gilbert is an amazing player, musician and Teacher. "Just fast scales" is the typical critic just about ALL my favorite musicians have suffered regardless of genre. "Too many notes". When will they ever learn how to cut out all the extra un needed notes so they can be more "musical".

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 19:52:02

sara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Maybe I should come to LA.

Hell yeah! You could even stay with my mom and me, though we live in South Orange County, about an hour and a half from all the fun LA stuff. Whenever you do make the trip, be sure to give all of us LA people a heads up!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 22:19:32

hassurbanipal

judas priest is certainly a legend in it's genre so thumps up sarah
Hopefully rob didn't scream in your ear....

Allthough I think Tipton is a fine guitarist I never saw him techniquely as a super player. But the same counts for kurt Cobain and so many others. Musically they invented something to my opinion. Like Tony Iomi of Black Sabbath, same story, techniquely not perfect but he invented a sound and I'm jealous now....:))

what is more important? the music or the technique.....

Sarah, Have fun with Paul Gilbert in La. If I had the chance I would come too but I would have too fly way too long.......

Plus je connais les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens."
E. Satie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2008 6:45:25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll