Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

PdL Interview   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

PdL Interview 

Someone posted this on the classical guitar forum. Thought it would be nice to share it here.

========================================================

Paco de Lucia is playing at a 15th. Guitar Festival of Barcelona.
He played a live concert on May 4th. at Barcelona Auditorium, after a ‘long silent period’. He was a great success.
This is an excerpt of the Paco de Lucia’s interview, published today (May 7th.) at a journal of Barcelona:
(This is my translation from spanish. My english is not very good. Sorry mistakes).

Q: If Eric Clapton is god, who is Paco de Lucia?
PACO: A specializated worker. I am in love to my work.

Q: A lot of people venerate you ….
PACO: I don’t like it. Some people meet me and get “blocked”: I always relax them telling some joke …

Q: You are a ‘living myth’ ….
PACO: I laugh at this, at myself, at this solemnity. Life is a farce. We know nothing. Life is a theater. I see the fun part of life and I laugh. This is the most I like: to laugh.

Q: Really? You always look so serious … And so concentrated while playing guitar ….
PACO: Yes. My musicist say me: “We are frightened of your look …”. But I have this look because I’m scared (afraid, fear) . I’m really scared (afraid, fear)

Q: Scared? Paco de Lucia is scared?
PACO: Yes.

Q: Fear of what?
PACO: Fear of playing bad. Fear of ‘not to be at my level’, fear of disappoint … I feel so nervous ….

Q: At this time, maestro?
PACO: Yes, the more famous the more responsibility …and more scared …

Q: I’d never said that …..
PACO: Yes. Last night, I played bad.

Q: All reviews were excellent !
PACO: Yeah, but I did not get what I was looking for …

Q: And, what are you looking for ?
PACO: The equilibrium: When you play guitar, it is very easy to disarrange, disarrange your ‘nervous system’, because the guitar is very ‘cabrona’, it demands a lot of precision. … While playing, I look for this equilibrium in which ‘all run’ …

Q: You refer to some ‘mystical ecstasy’ …
PACO: Yes, it is like a ‘zen meditation state’. I did not find it last night. It was horrible: then you have mistakes …

Q: And, what happens when you find it ?
PACO: Ah …! You fly! No fear, no insecurity, no fighting. All run, all is ok, you feel ‘the king of world’, you feel you know all things … It’s beautiful …

…..
Q: Who gave you a guitar for first time?
PACO: My father …my father taught me …

Q: Did you like to be a guitarist?
PACO: I proposed to be the best …. No more to see my mother crying because no food at home ! By this reason I fully involved in guitar, I worked 12 hours a day since I was 7 years old: because we were poor. Poverty was not an obstacle, but a encouragement.

Q: And you got it.
PACO: When we leaved penury, I asked myself: And, what now? Then I was aware of I liked music itself.

……
Q: Aren’t you bored of playing guitar so much ?
PACO: Yes, a lot of …I thought it last night just before being on stage: Why I am here, nervous, instead of being on my sofa watching the Depor (TV soccer match) with my drink and cheese snacks?

Q: And, why you did it?
PACO: Yes, why? Is not by money! My conclusion is by vanity: to feel loved.

Q: What do you do when you don’t play guitar?
PACO: To be at the beach in front of my home in Mexico , …, diving and fishing …

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2004 16:59:48

Miguel de Maria

RE: PdL Interview (in reply to TANúñez

Such a conflicted man. But in some ways I identify, I guess some of his sentiments are universal, if submerged and expressed differently.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2004 17:08:05

TANúñez

RE: PdL Interview (in reply to Miguel de Maria

What I really admire about this man is that this guy is the KING yet he is very grounded and has his share of insecurities just like the rest of us.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2004 18:26:56

[Deleted] (in reply to TANúñez

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2004 18:35:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages