Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Jeff Sigurdson   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jonathan

Jeff Sigurdson 

Is anyone familiar with this young maker from Vancouver Canada?
Have you played his instruments or know someone who has?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan Nagy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2004 21:49:31

Patrick

RE: Jeff Sigurdson (in reply to Jonathan

Jonathan,

Jeff is in the process of building a negra for me. I just spoke to him via email this morning.

Jeff was primarily a steel-string builder for years. The competition in that market is very difficult. A few years ago he moved more to classical and flamencos. He has really found his calling in flamencos, which is his main market now.

I personally have not played one of his guitars, but a friend of mine owns a negra and has played one of his blanca’s. This fellow owns some of the finest guitars in the world and was very, very impressed. He said for $2,200, his negra compared in tone to guitars worth twice as much or more. He did say the workmanship was a tad rough, but for that kind of money! His prices are in my opinion way too low, but I'm not complaining. When he gets a better following, he needs to get his prices up. He'll then be able to get the cosmetics up.

The friend of mine that played the blanca said it was outstanding and I think it was only about $1,700. He said the negra has exceptional tonality, with the added bonus of great flamenco rasp.

When the word gets out, I think Jeff will be up there with the best.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2004 22:52:57

Jim Opfer

Jonathan,

Didn't know of him till you posted, but found this link. Looks like a nice guitar.

www.legendguitar.com/1858.html

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2004 12:36:50

Jamey

Okay, I know this is a couple of months after the initial post (but I just joined).....

I own a Sigurdson blanca. Patrick, would this friend's name happen to be Rudy?
Anyway, I have played Jeff's blancas and negras, peghead and machine tuners. I can tell you that he adds features you don't often find even in the big names....12 hole tie block, very sharp break angles at both the headstock and saddle. He reinforces his necks with a hidden tripple ebony support (NOT a truss rod, I'm talking recessed withing the cedar neck underneath the ebony fingerboard and unless you've been told, you'd never know it was there - it's nice to know the neck won't turn into a cheese cutter over time). Jeff is VERY picky when selecting tone woods and he often manages to find remarkable pieces of sitka that rival many German spruce pieces.

Jeff often planes the neck flatter on the back and a little shallower (if you were looking at a cross section of it) all the way up to the heal. This makes the neck very comfortable. His guitars are loud, lots of punch, somewhere between a Reyes and a Gerundino (to my ear anyway).

I'm really happy with mine and the workmanship on mine is not rough by any stretch, on the contrary, it's top notch.

Oh, I forgot, Jeff's actual site (not the old Legend site...I don't think he's really with them anymore):
http://www.sigurdsonguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2004 19:19:46

Patrick

Jamey,

No, his name is Chris, but he has a friend that bought a Sigurson from Rudy, That's how he learned about Jeff.

The negra that Chris got did have some issues, but Jeff took it back and is replacing it.

I still haven’t heard when mine will be done, but I think it will be some time.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2004 0:17:31

Jim Opfer

RE: Jeff Sigurdson (in reply to Jamey

Hi Jamey,

I know this will be nearly impossible to put into words, but how does it sound, can you post an audio sample?

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2004 18:57:42

Jamey

RE: Jeff Sigurdson (in reply to Jim Opfer

Hi Jim,
sorry but I have nothing to record with otherwise I'd assault you all with my horrible renditions of a solea and siguiriya

Well, I've played mine alongside a Reyes Sr., Reyes hijo, a Conde (Felip V), and a '71 Faustino Conde. The sound is a little closer to the Reyes hijo. The 4 Sigurdsons I've been able to try include mine and another studio model, a peg head negra, and this bizar bastard child concoction that my friend Rudy and Jeff dreamed up.....a "blangra" (the back is half rosewood and half cypress, the top side is rosewood and the bottom side is cypress). They were all very loud guitars. The studio blancas were very loud as was the strange hybrid (it also had a shallower body than the others). The hybrid actually had one of the best sounds I've heard of any guitar (no joke). It's an ugly little duckling but it honestly has an awesome sound.

The blancas sound somewhere between that Gerundino that Paco Peña played in his early 70's recordings and a Reyes Hijo. The basses seem deeper and fuller than the Condes. They almost "thunder" by comparison (mine certainly does). The trebles are sharp but not tinny. The overall balance is right for flamenco. The sustain on the blancas (and the hybrid) were quite short, shorter than the two Reyes I tried but not as short as the '71 Faustino Conde (listen to Tomatito in Camarón Live in Paris 1987 - that's exactly what the Faustino sounds like - same vintage).

I'm babbling, sorry I suppose none of that is any help. Here's what mine looks like (for what it's worth).

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2004 23:16:14

hamia

RE: Jeff Sigurdson (in reply to Patrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patrick

Jamey,

No, his name is Chris, but he has a friend that bought a Sigurson from Rudy, That's how he learned about Jeff.

The negra that Chris got did have some issues, but Jeff took it back and is replacing it.

I still haven’t heard when mine will be done, but I think it will be some time.

Pat

Pat

What were the issues with the negra?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 15 2004 11:27:53

Patrick

hamia,

I didn't see it personally. I did see some pictures of it. It had some deformation on the top. I think it was more cosmetic, but Jeff wants good stuff out, so he is replacing the guitar not repairing it.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2004 17:53:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote