Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Tom,
I can just download about 5 or 6 pictures at the beginning and then everything freezes...
I've tried a few times now...
Anyway, it sounds like one helluva project!
Well done amigo!

cheers,

Ron

I'm sorry about that Ron. Hmmm....don't know why it's freezing on you. So your only able to see the first few pics? The good stuff is at the end.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2008 10:42:06

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to flamenco_9

quote:

hiii Tom!
this is beautiful work and guitar thank you for sharing photos.
I have few questions if you dont mind!
1- did you follow the known plan of santos regarding the measurments..any changes you did?
2- in the plan the length from nut to 12th fret is 325 mm and from 12th fret to saddle is 327 mm...I wanna ask why is this 2 mm difference and why it is 2 mm and what things determine that 2 mm or more?
3- are the fan braces same in height and width?
4- if you make the fan braces connected to the transverse bar how the sound will be affected?
5- did you make the top thinner at boarders or thinner around the brigde or thinner below the bridge?
thaks alot...waitting to hear your baby sings

Thank you flamenco_9,

I copied a 1944. I believe the plan your referring to is from a 1933? The measurements were almost the same between the 44' and 33'. The only noticable difference were that the fans on the 44' appear to be more angled towards the soundhole. Everything else was either the same or a few mm's different.

The extra 2mm from the 12th to the saddle is just 2mm's for compensation. If the scale length is 650mm, then the actual length of vibrating string should be around 652mm. The extra 2mm of compensation is necessary because when your fingers push down on the strings it creates a distortion in pitch. If the actual string length were the same as the theoretical scale length, each note would be slightly higher in pitch than it should. A shorter scale require more compensation than a guitar with a longer scale.

I'm not sure what the affects would be if the fan braces connected with the transverse bar. You may get some unwanted buzzing or bad vibrations if and when the struts were to flex. Maybe someone else with more experience can answer that one.

I tapered the edges of the top slightly.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2008 10:57:47

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to AndrewE

quote:

Do you have any pictures which show that fret file tool you've made? Looks like a good idea.

That's quite a large foot on the heelblock, is that pretty much typical for a Santos? I think the foot in the Courtnall book is a fair bit smaller.

Hi Andrew,

The foot is cut larger than it's finished height. Once I trim the sides I take down the foot as well to it's final size.

The fret file I use is just a two in one file. One side flat for filing the frets flat against the fingerboard and the other side has the angle to bevel the frets. It's very handy and saves time. Easy to make too.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2008 11:10:14

Patrick

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

Here you go Pat. Problem solved.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2008 12:42:46

Per Hallgren

Tom, that is beautiful! Both your guitar (tasteful and looking right although its a lefty), your clean work (do you ever produce any saw dust or shavings???) and your excellent photography.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2008 18:46:23

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Per Hallgren

quote:

Tom, that is beautiful! Both your guitar (tasteful and looking right although its a lefty), your clean work (do you ever produce any saw dust or shavings???) and your excellent photography.

Thank you Per. I produce dust and shavings just like everybody else. I am just a "neat freak". I can't work if my environment is not organized and clean so I'm constantly cleaning up after myself. A lot of sweeping. The photography is more my camera than my photography skills.

What are you working on these days? I'v been meaning to ask you how your flamenco came out. Were you happy with the end results. It certainly looked beautiful.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 0:21:23

Ramón

Stunning... Beautiful work.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 4:24:34

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Ramón

quote:

Stunning... Beautiful work.

Thanks Ramón. I thought by now I'd be reading about your 2nd. What's the deal? You spending too much time on your surfboard than your workboard?

By the way, La Jolla rules man. I want to go back!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 5:33:34

Ramón

Busted! Yea.. Been some good runs of swells, but also was swamped with work, and playing a lot for the dance classes, got back into tennis (used to play the qualifying-circuit stuff).... Just my Single Life, ya know? I get fragmented....

And I hit that 'over-drill' snag and took forever to source some pegs that would work. Finally, someone here linked me to a maker in India who made me a killer set of custom pegs! So I'm rolling again. One top is done, starting the other. Trying to keep the two coming along at the same time. Still have #1 'sold' to a guy who wants it when I make a new one - or first shot after I decide which to keep and which to sell of the 2 new ones.

When were you in La Jolla? Why didn't you ring me?? Could have hooked up and shown you some local stuff, the workshop, Hein's guitars (3 new ones, 2 in flamed maple!)...

You're welcome here anytime. And again, I loved the presentation of the guitar. Next time you come, bring it with you!

(a shot of me and one of my distractions....lol)

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 16:27:25

TANúñez

That is an absolute killer photo! I got a rush just looking at it. While I was there, I was so busy going back and forth from San Diego, La Jolla and Escondido. Didn't have much free time.

Next time I will look you up. You need to teach me to do that. Surf that is. I love the ocean. Could sit and watch it for hours and I think if I lived there, I wouldn't get much done. Except fish and learn to surf.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 19:39:38

Ramón

Thanks...Kind of a flamenco dance pic - in the water....

It's kinda nice here - but as you've seen - far too many people in too small a place. But I live about 200' from the that wave in the shot, so.... And 50 yards over (in the direction I'm headed!) is some nice little lobster ledges....

Hey...In your glueups you show one shot wetted out....Fish glue???
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 22:39:49

HemeolaMan

Tom, applause

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 22:53:18

srshea

Add my voice to the chorus of approval. Even the label looks classy! How many guitars have you built prior to this, and for how long have you been building?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2008 23:52:32

TANúñez

quote:

Hey...In your glueups you show one shot wetted out....Fish glue???

I used fish glue for just about everything. Except the rosette. I used yellow glue as fish glue can stain.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 0:04:15

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

Tom, applause

Thank you Man of Hemeola!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 0:06:28

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to srshea

quote:

Add my voice to the chorus of approval. Even the label looks classy! How many guitars have you built prior to this, and for how long have you been building?

Thank you srshea. This is eight. Can't recall exactly how long I've been building. I want to say 3 years? maybe 4. I also have a day job so I'm not building fulltime although I'd like to eventually. I also build modern Ukelele's. Maybe I'll do a photo essay for one of these. They are fun little instruments.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 0:10:35

kovachian

Stupid question of the day: are those purple strings? Or are they reddish? What kind are those?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 0:37:22

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to kovachian

Yes, they are purple. They are the medium tension Purple Rain Series by Prince. There are no stupid questions....just stupid answers

They are the La Bella 820(red trebles)

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 0:48:25

Ramón

Yea..... I found out about fish glue stains on rosettes.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 2:59:29

n85ae

Ramon -

Hey I used to live on Princess Street right by the Beach and Tennis Club, and
went to La Jolla HS when I was a kid. Did you grow up there?

Regards,
Jeff.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 12:52:38

Francisco

Wow, that is a beautiful guitar! Serious eye candy. I'm a little disappointed that you didn't go with the diablo head stock tho.

Seriously tho, did you have any woodworking experience before you started learning to build guitars?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 21:21:00

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Francisco

Thanks Francisco. This is a bench copy of a Santos so I used his head design. The 'Diablo' head design was hit and miss with some people.

I had very limited woodworking experience. Took shop classes waaaaay back in highschool and a little furniture refinishing here and there. The majority of the skills needed I learned as I went along. Still have a lot to learn.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2008 23:29:10

Ramón

Jeff... Grew up in Encinitas, moved to LJ when I got out of school..Was always down here, anyway; girls, tennis, free diving, surfing.... I live on Nautilus...

Sorry Tom! broke the thread a bit there - but I decided I'm going to do edge-purfling this time, so today I glued up the colors I'd laid up onto the purfling (I'll wait a few days to bend all the stuff at once), so I have a bit of flash on the sides as well as top and bottom.

I promise, dad.... I'm not slackin' any mo'!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2008 2:39:48

Taranto

Very nice and clean work (I felt a bit jealous).

Whats that machine (laminate trimmer?) you are using to cut binding channels? Brand and model? Is it safe and easy?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2008 20:58:05

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Taranto

Hi Taranto,

Thanks for the compliment. That little machine is a binding base cutter. You can get one from Luthier Tool Company for $205.

http://www.luthiertool.com/binding_cutter_base_PC.html

It works nice but I recently sold it and will go with a binding jig where the router is fixed and you place your guitar in a carriage while working it around the router.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2008 23:54:58

bahen

Hey Tom, I really enjoyed that presentation. A magnificently looking instrument, to be sure. Let's hear what it sounds like ASAP! How much would this go for, by the way? Just curious Do you have any recordings of any of the other guitars you've made? I would love to hear something.

b.h.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2008 4:37:02

Pgh_flamenco

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to bahen

quote:

Hey Tom, I really enjoyed that presentation. A magnificently looking instrument, to be sure. Let's hear what it sounds like ASAP! How much would this go for, by the way? Just curious Do you have any recordings of any of the other guitars you've made? I would love to hear something.

b.h.

Ditto!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2008 4:39:18

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to bahen

quote:

b.h.

Hi bahen,

Thanks. I don't really know for sure what it would "go for". Being in unknown guitar builder, probably $2000 to $2500? If I do decide to start building professionally, I think this would be my starting price.

Unfortunately I don't have any sound clips. I don't own any type of recording equipment but I am looking into it. If I end up building professionally, I will be sure to include sound, video or both on my site.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2008 13:35:48

Samarto

quote:

I'm not sure what the affects would be if the fan braces connected with the transverse bar. You may get some unwanted buzzing or bad vibrations if and when the struts were to flex. Maybe someone else with more experience can answer that one.

I found connecting fan braces to the transverse bar (notched and glued) just stiffened up the top resulting in less substain. No buzzing problem just a little stiffer than a flamenco should have in my opinion. If I hadn't glued them buzzing might have occured.

Tom, Awesome job! Nice shop setup from what I could see. The flamenco's I made in the seventies were all made using hand tools and traditional techniques. Way too many hours involved. Again congradulations on an outstanding job.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2008 13:58:03

TANúñez

RE: 1944 Santos Hernandez copy COMPLETED (in reply to Samarto

quote:

I found connecting fan braces to the transverse bar (notched and glued) just stiffened up the top resulting in less substain. No buzzing problem just a little stiffer than a flamenco should have in my opinion. If I hadn't glued them buzzing might have occured.

Tom, Awesome job! Nice shop setup from what I could see. The flamenco's I made in the seventies were all made using hand tools and traditional techniques. Way too many hours involved. Again congradulations on an outstanding job.

Thanks for the compliment Samarto.

I was thinking if the fan struts just butted up against the transverse bar. However, notched glued as you mentioned may have a better outcome. Much like the way some braces are notched and fitted over a bridge patch.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2008 14:20:58
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll