Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Playing guitar and singing simultaneously   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Playing guitar and singing simultane... 

Can any of you do that? I have been trying to do that recently (trying to play Nirvana's Come as You Are while singing it simultaneously), and I seem to either screw up the words (by singing them only when I play notes with my right hand), or the playing (by playing only when singing the words). I can't seem to get my brain to separate the two things, and end up with a smooth overall song (that sounds like the actual recorded song).

Any words of wisdom?

PS: A couple of classmates want me to play in a rock concert with them, and that is why I got interested in trying to sing + play this song (which we will be performing - me as the guitarist, and a classmate as the vocalist, along with the other band members). I haven't digressed from flamenco, in case you thought I did!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 5:09:07

veet

RE: Playing guitar and singing simul... (in reply to rombsix

yeah, I'm an old folkie and rocker, I remember how hard it was at first. Work on the strumming so you can do the guitar part automatically, like while reading the paper or watching tv. Practice singing while walking down the street accenting the rhythm in your stride. or clapping in rhythm while you sing.

Know exactly when you're going to breathe between phrases. Breathe the same places every time.

Just a matter of agonizing boring hours of practice, at some point you'll be pleased to find it's working!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 5:28:38

guitarbuddha

Giving yourself time to relax will be a big help.

The first line is a two bar phrase so play the first two bars and then play it again this time singing. Do this over and over and over.

Also do the opposite, sing the first line and then sing it again whilst playing. Over and over and over.

This will give you time to notice exactly where things are going wrong and since your are taking the time to relax (by doing only one thing at a time regularly) your unconscious will leap in and fix things for you. The enemy here is impatience.

If you spend a whole practice session doing just this you will be amazed by how the rest will just fit into place. But it will be fixed just for a day or so so you need to be just as patient and methodical the next day and the day after that. The great thing is that if you do this for maybe an hour a day for a week you will become really confident and relaxed as you will know that you have nothing to hide from in the music. You will also learn A LOT about rhythm because the melody (like almost all pop music since the Beatles) is very very syncopated, you will naturally be able to incorporate these syncopations into your guitar playing.

Go on and try it, you will be amazed how much fun it is to play after such a disciplined approach.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 5:55:50

rombsix

Thanks for the advice mates.

I can sing and play / strum chords easily and well, but it's when I have to play non-repetitive arpeggios or melodies (like One Last Breath by Creed for example) that I start to stumble the most ...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 6:59:19

Ron.M

RE: Playing guitar and singing simul... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Ooops!
Wrong thread..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 7:56:44

duende

I never had any problems with that, for some reason. But for some reason i cant play bass and sing. on guitar i can play anything between simon and garfunkle to metallica
and sing. on bass i cant sync

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 8:03:28

Ron.M

RE: Playing guitar and singing simul... (in reply to duende

Not even Jack Bruce stuff?...
McCartney I really admire as a Bass player/singer.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 8:09:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll