Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 versus $750: Am I getting that much more?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

Further, I think a company with the resources that for example Yamaha has, if
they made a corporate decision to do it, I would bet money they could make
guitars that would easily compete against Conde, or any other guitar maker.

Of course that would require them to make the decision in the first place to do
it. However with the money they have, and the facilities they have they certainly
could do it.

Jeff

I'm a bit conservative and old-fashioned and dislike changes to the world I grew up in.
But I'm afraid and sad to say, I think your right there Jeff!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:13:33

Anders Eliasson

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

See, now I know why luthier built guitars are so darn expensive...

The luthier goes into the woods, spend a few days looking for a tree, and then a few more dragging pieces of it out. It is all very romantic and earthy, but can't a labourer be hired at $10/hour for a lot of that while the luthier does the more important job of building guitars?

Or how about the luthier spends 100 hours french polishing the guitar. What?

Does a luthier built guitar only have the hands of that luthier on it? If yes, what is wrong if they sub some of this work to cheap labour and concentrate on the important stuff to lower the price of the guitars and the waiting list. I guess the question is "are luthiers making musical instruments or are they making artwork that can play a note"?

It is like a nite-club where patrons are forced to line-up outside while inside it is half empty. Just my opinion... I hope it doesn't look like I am trolling, I think it is a legitimate question... but way off topic.

To be completrely honest, I did not like this post at all. absolutely nothing in it. OK?
Sorry, I´m not going to follow up, I fortunately have other things to do.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:35:26

Rain

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Anders I am in total agreement with you about the post mate.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:43:00

Anders Eliasson

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

Further, I think a company with the resources that for example Yamaha has, if
they made a corporate decision to do it, I would bet money they could make
guitars that would easily compete against Conde, or any other guitar maker.

Of course that would require them to make the decision in the first place to do
it. However with the money they have, and the facilities they have they certainly
could do it.

Jeff

With all the respect of Yamaha, I must disagree. Yamaha have never been famous for making anything real top. They have tried and where they have been close has been in pianos. But nothing like a Steinway or a Bösendorfer. I have owned a couple of Yamaha steel strings, and really great instruments for their price, but I´ve never played or heard anything that really inspired me from Yamaha. Ask around. Ask professionals about clarinets, saxophones, trumpets, drums or whatever. Great quality yes.......... but maybe they just didn´t invest enough money. (money money money must be funny)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:43:15

Anders Eliasson

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to Rain

quote:

Anders I am in total agreement with you about the post mate.

Thanks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:44:20

Anders Eliasson

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to Ron.M

I have now left this thread, I find it to be far out. I will concentrate my energy elsewhere.

adios

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 9:54:21

Conrad

okay... actually Yamaha has tried to make a pro flamenco guitar:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Yamaha/PR/FC31.html

...I have never played, seen, heard, or heard about it, and probably that says it all, and this guitar came out in 2003. It appears to be no longer in their catalogue either.

So let's say unless they hired an Anders clone for every step of production, what you suggest is nearly impossible based on the risk for quality control. There is too much care and knowledge required in every step, from my vantage point... I mean just look at Per Hallgren's recent photo diary.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 10:43:35

cathulu

Sorry, I intended to be a bit provocative with my post but I didn't intend to make anyone feel uncomfortable or pissed-off.

But when I see the current prices it is a bit of a downer - it is sometimes good to have someone question the status quo.

Art and business exist in an uneasy relationship I guess. My last post on this also.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 11:04:09

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

Or how about the luthier spends 100 hours french polishing the guitar.

Some luthiers sub FP to other craftsman, they buy rosettes, fret wire, tuners, saddles, nuts, bridges…

There are different business models. Good instruments can be made by an apprentice. There’s a reason certain makers and luthiers have great reputations. I can hear it in the mp3’s posted online. I’ve never heard a cheap guitar sound as good.

A friend of mine purchased a Yamaha 12 string, shallow-body acoustic guitar 20 years ago for $1,200. The action was way too high and the neck was bent (and not cupped the way it should have been). I tried explaining this to him for about a year. He ended up sending it to Yamaha for repair and they replaced it at no charge and this was after an additional year of trying to have it adjusted.

Yamaha equipment has everything to do with a level of quality that can be had at a certain (lower) price point—no more, no less. If Yamaha wanted to produce the highest quality guitars I can’t imagine them succeeding, but I’d be willing to bet a few of their luthiers could do it on their own.

In the end Ricardo is right: If you’re overwhelmingly impressed by a guitar’s tone and playability that’s what counts the most. It's too bad many of us can't afford better instruments...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2008 16:54:23

n85ae

People often scan read things, and simply miss the point.

Yamaha could, if they decided to. That's the point.

quote:

With all the respect of Yamaha, I must disagree. Yamaha have never been famous for making anything real top. They have tried and where they have been close has been in pianos. But nothing like a Steinway or a Bösendorfer. I have owned a couple of Yamaha steel strings, and really great instruments for their price, but I´ve never played or heard anything that really inspired me from Yamaha. Ask around. Ask professionals about clarinets, saxophones, trumpets, drums or whatever. Great quality yes.......... but maybe they just didn´t invest enough money. (money money money must be funny)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2008 4:53:39

ChiyoDad

Epilogue
Our local mom-and-pop shop recently acquired a Yamaha CG171SF. They made a business decision to begin offering more Yamaha acoustics and this flamenca was the very first of their new inventory line-up. It was an unexpected coincidence that I came upon this guitar. They had just unboxed it and hung it up for display. The tone was just right and it played easier than many other guitars that I had tried.

The co-owner knew me and offered the guitar for $267; a substantial discount. Needless to say, I bought it without a second thought.

Play the alegrias!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2008 1:22:54

Samarto

RE: Beginners flamencas at $350 vers... (in reply to ChiyoDad

To answer the original question ... probably not. Find a guitar setup for flamenco and if you like the tone and action and the price is in your range, buy it. It doesn't matter what others think. I bought a small polish made guitar on sale for my Grandaughter and installed a golpe plate, lowered the action, and put on a set of LaBella strings. It sounded and played great for a beginner flamenco. Total cost including strings, etc. $125.

Cathulu, In time you will know the difference in the sound of the fine guitars at Zavelletas. It is a personal preference, not that one sounds lousy and the other fantastic, just different ... one sweeter, one louder, one more rasp, one more substain, and another more growl on the basses. Also some may hear a difference in the Granada makers sound compared to the Madrid makers sound.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2008 13:40:24
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post