Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

A transcription for your pleasure - Taranta!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Conrad

A transcription for your pleasure - ... 

Hi,

Awful quiet around here. Dig this... I have transcribed a Taranta by Isidro Sanlucar, or is it Isidro Munoz? Or are they the same person? I don't know! Perhaps it's neither!

Anyway, it is a piece that I have been itching to learn, and I finally got time to figure it, so I thought I'd share it with all. This piece can be heard in Carlos Saura's "Flamenco", played over the opening credits. I think Isidro must be one of the most gifted composers. He seems to be credited on many good albums, and it is a shame that one never hears of him. I've never even seen a picture of him.

It was annoying to transcribe, because I was taking it off of the movie, so I couldn't be in front of my computer punching the notation in. I tried my best to represent what I had pencilled earlier. I am very confident that the notes are correct, and the rhythm turned out passable on playback. However, keep in mind that it is a free form piece, and Isidro takes many liberties with the rhythm. Some of my notation may not be classically proper, but the music IS aurally correct. Part of it is that I got lazy trying to figure out how to fix note groupings and rests, and part that I have never transcribed a free form piece before.

One problem, for example, was that Isidro alters the tempo sometimes, and in one instance, you will see that what sounds like eighth note triplets, I wrote in 16th notes in order to accomodate the perceived change in tempo.

Don't worry though. It's COOL. Check it out! :)

-conrad

p.s. Please tell me of any problems or errors.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2004 5:32:37

Conrad

RE: A transcription for your pleasur... (in reply to Conrad

Well, I'm not sure that worked. It is a powertabeditor file. It uploaded fine, but I can't seem to download it. I thought this might be a problem. I can always send individual e-mails if necessary. That is, if anyone cares! haha I guess I'll find out.

What does Master Simon say?

-con
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2004 5:37:43

el ted

yo cnotecon,
I would like a copy please but I can't print it off either
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2004 12:25:20

Escribano

I think it's the IIS Web Server config on the hoster. Needs to be able map .ptb files. I can see it in FTP but not download it in the browser. I'll have a look.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2004 18:37:08

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: cnotecon
Hi,
Awful quiet around here. Dig this... I have transcribed a Taranta by Isidro Sanlucar, or is it Isidro Munoz?

Bravo Conrad, this looks great!

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2004 13:59:21

Tenshu

Thanks a LOT Conrad...

One question though. How do you pull off the double arpeggio at bar #2? Hard to do, although it seems right.

Thanks

-T
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2004 15:31:24

Conrad

RE: A transcription for your pleasur... (in reply to Tenshu

Hi Tenshu,

These are just standard ascending/descending arpeggios. He plays the exact same arpeggios in "Bar 4" too. You play thumb for first bass notes, i m a for trebles, and drag a all the way back.

Of course, you're probably talking about the way he hammers on from open E to G, and then plays the D on the 2nd string in the treble. That just takes a little more practice, and you have to move your 1st finger pretty quickly. When I listened to the VHS this is the way I heard it. Of course, it's possible I might be wrong, but I'm quite confident he hammers on to the G in the bass and then plays the rest. So what I do is...

Play the hammer on with first finger, then play each successive note with these fingers respectively: 2nd, 4th, 3rd (these ones you can plant from the beginning obviously). While you play these, move your 1st finger to the D on the 2nd string, and then back again to finish it off. I hope I described this well. It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

Actually, in Paco de Lucia's "Tio Sabas", there is a similar arpeggio which is even more difficult. He moves two fingers from 5th and 6th strings to 1st and 2nd strings and back in one arpeggio, all just to accomodate some crazy chord like a Bminor9/13 I think it was. Ahh, Paco!

Ask me for anything else. :)

con
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2004 15:59:06

Conrad

In case anyone still needs the tune, and cannot get it here, you can find it now (in pdf format as well) at:

http://eflamenco.com/dimitri/

-C
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2004 23:26:45

Tenshu

I'm working my way through - not so hard as it seems.

Thanks for the work, Conrad. It is much appreciated.

-T
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2004 7:03:06

Jim Opfer

Conrad,
Thanks for that link and ressurecting the piece. Yes, it's terrific and just a throw away over the opening to the film.
I had always thought it was Jose Antonio Rodriguez playing. I don't know where I got that from and seem to remember reading it somewhere in the book that goes with the video?
Anyway, nice diversion to hear it again during lunch break in my office.
Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2004 12:19:32

el ted

thanks conrad. i finally managed to print it off on that PDF thingy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2004 15:24:28

kieronw

Hi,

unfortunately I can't download this in PDF format as the link appears to be broken. Any suggestions.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2005 14:02:10

rickm

right click save as, then open it with power tab, it worked for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2005 17:20:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post