Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: This is really weird   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: This is really weird (in reply to Ricardo

How come so many times I post a link to a youtube vid in this forum, and the guy who put it up gets all his stuff taken down???

shawn lane:
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2008 18:23:44

Pimientito

RE: This is really weird (in reply to Ron.M

Hey...another shred head thread. Ron that first guy reminded me of an electric drill...in fact i remember seeing Mr. Big in the 80s where guitarist Paul Gilbert actually stuck plectrums to the bit of a cordless drill and played with that!! check out the similarity

Ricardo that clip of the kid who worked out the impelliteri was great. I mean however long did it take him to work out?
My favorate shredder was Jason Becker. This is serrana (not the ham)

Youll also find him playing a great version of paganinis 5th caprice onthis page.

The thing is that I remember when it was actually cool to play this stuff and now its just dorky. In retrospect looking at some of this stuff its much easier to see who the more musical guitarists were. The second shred post hardly even qualifies as music and I guess thats why flamenco struck me immediately. Its not just about technique....its about conveying something much more through that technique.
The rock guitar only has say a 40 year tradition and its best exponents have usually been teenage/20 something year old men. The 80s was an exciting time for experimentation with technique and taste/musicality was less of a priority. Flamenco has had a good deal longer to have a basis on tradition, arte, aire and while experimentation happens all the time, you still have a benchmark to say what is and what isnt flamenco...what sounds good and what doesnt...what is artistic and what is not

....meanwhile I'm just going to try to play "el tempul" with my drill now!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2008 20:10:50

Pimientito

RE: This is really weird (in reply to Pimientito

OMG...Just spent an hour on youtube. Im shredded to death now
This is the last word in shred...maybe you should set it as next years challenge Ron?
Good luck gentlemen!

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2008 22:18:55

guitarbuddha

Are we allowed do drop as many notes as him and play three out of four semiquavers (weakly) whilst smearing the rest ?

Are we limited to Zero dynamics and minimal musical intention? Should we insert one note in beats when there should be four to give us a breather ?

All that aside, the guy played with admirable composure, but little else.

Here is Stochelo Rosenberg, improvising with drive and pinache, no bluffing no smearing, loads of attack and even when using patterns a firm focus on harmony. If only Paco had played with the guys from the belgian/dutch/french Django tradition instead of the fusion/technique dudes who gave birth to their b##tardising progeny the shredders. There was so much history to plectrum guitar before clapton and DiMeola and it is such a shame that the three notes per string and sweeping guys never found it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 2:02:55

Pimientito

RE: This is really weird (in reply to guitarbuddha

Holy cr@p...that was just amazing!!! Technique ,tone and gorgous improvisation. That gypsy jazz stuff has always been a mystery to me...i cant even begin to work out how he did that

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 4:21:06

guitarbuddha

Really glad you like it P.

I love Stochelo's powerful and accurate playing. A real rootsy player who always swings and amazes me with how much he can do with what seems (superficially) to be a pedestrian technique is Romane. Ricardo likes Jimmy Rosenberg and he is well worth checking out though a little glib for my taste. Never really though Bireli Lagrene swung hard enough for me but many rate him.

Check out Tal Farlow if you can for another take on jazz plectrum guitar.
What all these guys have in common is a real strong harmonic sense which underpins every single note that they play. Their technique is for music's sake rather than technique for technique's sake.

I was deeply saddened to watch a video by some young and as yet unacomplished metal player with a big reputation explaining soloing as the combination of finger patterns. This is exactly why shred is a dead end, there is no harmonic development and no form, no story. Even when the harmony is interesting (like the Jason Becker example ) they often play with so little discipline and conviction that it trivialises any potential that the piece may have had. Compare this playing with someone like Vengerov playing solo Bach and the trajedy of shred is revealed. So much talent squandered by too many bright young thinks who want the instant hit of pattern playing withouth the serious study of harmony that actually makes music move us.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 4:59:31

Ron.M

quote:

Are we allowed do drop as many notes as him and play three out of four semiquavers (weakly) whilst smearing the rest ?

Hey D....
Are you criticizing my current version of El Tempul??

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 7:48:45

Ron.M

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkbgoQow4TA

I've had my stomach feel like that in the morning after a bad curry and too many pints the night before..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 9:12:56

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 16:34:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 9:41:19

deyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

Even when the harmony is interesting (like the Jason Becker example ) they often play with so little discipline and conviction that it trivialises any potential that the piece may have had. D.

remeber "Air" by Becker ? if that is trivialised harmonization and idea, then i don't know..

btw. here is Nunez hidden photo of him shredin bass

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

www.soundclick.com/deyo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 18:27:16

Ricardo

quote:

Ricardo likes Jimmy Rosenberg and he is well worth checking out though a little glib for my taste.

About the gypsy hot jazz guys. Yeah, amazing technique and melody and rhythm and feeling, true virtuosos, each and every one. But lets be honest, the originality of each is so subtle, it is pointless to compare them with artists of other genres. My point is, much like in flamenco, a player is described good or bad by how more or less "flamenco" his playing is, like wise, these hot jazz guys are ALL trying to be as "Django" as possible. The closer to django, the better they are. Right down to their guitar, technique, choice of songs, composing style, and even mustache. But I am not knocking anything about that, it is a cool genre. But within it, when i see guys playing like Birelli, Stochelo, etc, I see guys improvising essentially in a LINEAR fashion. Great, and nice and melodic, and they have speedy patterns like any shredder. But if you listen to Django a lot, you notice how much more "free" he was with improve, stretching out more harmonic, arpegios connecting and things. HArd to describe, but he is not "stuck" in those linear patterns, like you see Stochelo here, up and down. And for me personally, ONLY Rosenburg exhibits that same freedom IMO...he moves up and down harmonically really free, very few picking patterns. Anyway, that is how I see it.

About Becker. Yeah Air, and even that Serrana...he has a lot of depth. IN a guitar clinic, sure he is alone and showing his picking techniques and patterns, but when you hear his arrangements, all the counter point and stuff, it is really amazing. Serrana on record was AFTER he lost his ability to play guitar (lou gehrig's disease) and had a piano do those arppegios you see him do, and a whole orchestra doing the counter point in a really beautiful way. Hearing him play guitar on his early records, at 17 years old, it sounds like overkill all the guitars and speedy lines and crazy key changes and odd meters. But when you think that only shortly after he could not even feed himself, it seems appropriate he got so many notes down on tape before it was too late. "Too many notes" like in the mozart movie. Which "few notes" should he have cut out??

OK, no need to go on defending any more shred guys. My point is, there is value even in a seeming musical "exercise". It is all about taste, and not just the player's but the context of the genre AND the listener. What may be musical masturbation to one, could be pure profound genius to another.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 20:50:31

Pimientito

RE: This is really weird (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

That track is on The Rosenberg Trio's "Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival" album,

I have "live at samois" but have been searching for ages for the "live at north sea jazz festival" CD.....I guess its on Amazon. I'll just have to stop being lazy and order it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2008 21:40:45

guitarbuddha

Hi Ricardo. I remember very well the first time I heard Jason Becker's 'Perpetual Burn' album and I was totally blown away. I had it on cassete and lent it to my ex-brother in law who sold it and claimed to lose it.

I downloaded it a few months ago and was amazed and pleased that I still could dig it and had a few hours of nostalgia and even went so far as to pick up my electric for a full half hour without being paid.

I loved exuberance and the wild pastiche leapfrogging from one style of harmony to another repeatedly in the one piece. On mature listening ( yes I am claiming to be mature !) I actually appreciated the breadth of his influences and really dug the surf sound elements, the unusual bending and strange approach notes. These are the same elements that I enjoy in the playing of Marty Friedman his partner in Cacophony ( I read in an interview that they shared the same teacher, I wish that I had had him ).

However I went on to watch the DVD with all of the footage that was remotely useable of him playing and it left me cold. Like that Serranno upload, loads of wrong melody notes, loads of lost time and indecicive playing. Yeah there were moments of inspiration like his cocky black star Jam but in general he lacked the intensity that was really required to deliver his stuff live. Now I am not sayng that he wasn't talented or capable of it, he was abviously a seriously gifted and conscientious fellow it is just that he lacked a tradition to force him to channel his talents (as a performer, I am not questioning his compositions-weird flaky and wonderful) towards real in your face no stops starts clangers losing time getting lost and pretending you don't care when you grind to a halt.

That is my problem with shredding. Whilst there were lots of talented guys they never really started a tradition of 'musical performance' but instead inspired people like me to play patterns real fast and make like it was music even though we weren't feeling any harmony. It is not surprising that one of the few from this era who can really deliver regularly is Steve Vai who honed his skills in a serious non-metal band (there are others of course but I am trying to describe what I see as the effect of the whole shred movement, I apologise for generalising but it is nessecary ).

I remember I had a pupil in a school who let me hear his demo tape and it sounded incredible, I was really looking forward to seeing him play and working with him. But he didn't know s#it. He couldn't play anything at all up close but he had sat at his computer hour after hour cutting and pasting, embellishing and tweaking. It sounded just like that shrapnel records from the eighties though , he sounded like a monster but in real life what a dissapointment.

Then there was the video with the three gods of shred Malmsteen, Vai and Satriani at the end they were trying to jam to little wing. What total ****, Vai was utterly uninspired but no wonder with Malmsteen playing the same sequence out of time over and over again cause he clearly cant improvise at all. Satriani played some dull left hand only sequence that had no ideas at all. Sounded like my first frunken HM band audition. I remember the day I realised that I could do what Malmsteen was doing and realised that since I dint't really know s#hit I had better go and find some new heroes.

About Jimmy Rosenberg, I've listened to quite a bit and none of it moved me but I respect your reccomendation enough to pass it on to where it may find more fertile soil. I agree with you about how different the note choice of the newer players is from Django, it is really interesting to watch him play he really had a one finger left hand approach for melody playing with his second mostly used for embellishment. This constant practice in shifting seemed really to allow him to mix up his scalar and arpeggio playing in a way that is really hard to imitate without commiting to the scary world of almost constant shifting. His transcriptions are much harder to play than any of his imitators who have left hand approaches which relate more easily to my classical background (I am not counting my shred era as I was so obtuse as not to really learn much of use then ).

In conclusion I would reccomend the gypsy guys for anyone who likes shred, there is a tradition of genuine musical endeavour here.

Regards,
D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 3:05:07

Ron.M

This thread just put me in mind of a discussion I had with Ricardo years ago on the FT Forum.
I saw some programme which said that it's impossible to do a repetitive movement faster than your body's tremor or shiver frequency, which they said was on average 8-9Hz (although a quick search on the Net shows ranges from as low as 7 to as high as 11.

So at 8Hz, this would allow a player using alternating fingers, or a flat pick player using up/down motions to play 16 notes per second before limiting out.

Obviously at 11Hz this would be 22.

Just guessing in my head, I'd reckon Paco at his fastest is maybe doing 16 to 18 notes per second?

Grisha has a similar kind of speed, so maybe he could be more accurate here?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 7:43:44

Kate

quote:

I agree with you about how different the note choice of the newer players is from Django, it is really interesting to watch him play he really had a one finger left hand approach for melody playing with his second mostly used for embellishment.

Didn't Django only have two fingers on his left hand ?

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 9:11:59

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:14:19
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 9:42:26

guitarbuddha

RE: This is really weird (in reply to Kate

Hi Kate I was trying to explain how he used his two good fingers for single line playing. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 10:02:45

Conrad

RE: This is really weird (in reply to JBASHORUN

Yep... the ring and pinky were almost paralyzed but he had enough strength to use them in some situations like resting them down for barre chords, for example:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 10:23:07

Kate

quote:

Hi Kate I was trying to explain how he used his two good fingers for single line playing. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

D.

Hi D

You were clear, just me wanting to clarify that he only had the two fingers, that worked. It seems so incredible.
Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2008 12:59:14

Ricardo

About becker, I think he was just a shy kid for cryn out loud, you can't hold his lack of performance experience against him. He would have been there, playing with David Lee Roth, I mean follow the line, Van Halen and your Vai, no doubt that is where you lose shyness out of necessity. But the poor kid was stricken down precisely at that time. Forget about "burn". Get your hands on "perspectives" to see what the kid was capable of musically.

I would venture that alot of other young shrapnel shredders were as well "shy kids" used to playing in their rooms. For sure, the opportunity to play out live more and more, shapes your performance skills.

About Django 2 fingers. I transcribed some of his solos as a teenager. I knew the 2 finger story, so I deliberately tried to work out the fingerings that way. Guess what, it was much less awkward that way, it really flows easier, those swing lines, with the two fingers. Dim7 walking up, the arpegios where you dont' have to try different fingers, just one or the other, the choices limited, but obvious. Anyway, try it out if you can, just one of his orginal solos to see what I mean. I am really surprised none of his imitators have tried to "free" themselves the same way.

Having shared all that, I prefer playing with my other two fingers too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2008 3:29:12

guitarbuddha

Hi Ricardo, I actually did spent a little while doing the two finger thing. Not fingers one and two exclusively but two notes per string for arpeggios, and I agree it is a lot easier to make arps swing this way, you get natural stacatto and since you can use a two finger per string right hand technique it gets a little more of the plectrum style swing which is real difficult with fingerstyle. Also great shifting practice as you get three octaves with one left hand shape. I've written a little fusion alegrias which them, might upload it soon.

Don't know Perspectives but will try and check it out. My comments were not meant to judge Becker but more what I see as the flaws in the tradition of that style of performance, he was my hero at one point. He did do plenty of concerts though with Cacophony, I remember him playing with one hand whilst doing tricks with a yoyo with the other, didn't seem real shy at that point.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2008 4:21:23
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote