Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Mirror mirror on the wall...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

Mirror mirror on the wall... 

Who has the fastest picado of them all? Well, Paco... but what was I talking about? I was practicing some picado licks from Barrio La Vina today. There is this interesting sequence in the silencio-like part in E minor, four picado runs, each with a little half remate. Each sequence is a different pattern; only one of them is a straight up scale. Yet to the untutored ear, all basically sound like "fast scales." I think one of the things at play is that Paco knows he needs to get from A to B, but to play "fast" he can't just go straight.... he has to zig zag and swoop and undulate. This is a real neat little sequence and I recommend learning it. It's a good exercise for picado!

I was just practicing this in the mirror and got another great benefit. Practicing in front of the mirror is great, phenomenal. It can really help you make positive changes in your technique, as well as your "picado face." One thing I noticed was that when I was playing a descending scale, from the high-pitch e string to the low-pitch E string, was that my little finger would start gripping, tensing up, about when I had crossed over to the fourth or fifth string. Not coincidentally, I'm sure, this is where I would usually get tripped up.

To play fast, powerful licks your fingers have to be relaxed. Tense fingers lose their coordination and start to miss the mark. There is no way I could have seen this without the mirror, but now I know it is there and can begin to eliminate it. Soon I won't be having any problmes with that particular scale, I think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2004 23:10:17

Billyboy

RE: Mirror mirror on the wall... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

There plenty of guitarists out there with picados just as fast as Paco's, if not faster, once so Tito Heradio in Liverpool, and his picado was phenominal, like a machine gun going off.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2004 11:06:37

TANúñez

RE: Mirror mirror on the wall... (in reply to Billyboy

quote:

There plenty of guitarists out there with picados just as fast as Paco's, if not faster

I have to agree with Billyboy. Two others who come to mind is El Viejin and Niño de Pura.

The mirror is like you say a great tool. I wish that was all it took to get me to play lightning picados.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2004 0:43:16

Miguel de Maria

RE: Mirror mirror on the wall... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Nino de Pura's picado is a weak shadow of Paco's...

Man, I just set a new PR personal record. A four and a half hour solo gig. Details at nine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2004 7:06:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post