Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Prolong your basses   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

Prolong your basses 

I copied this from a poster on another forum. I've never tried this. Has anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Prisloe, highly respected builder, suggests this on his website. He mentions a number of benefits besides the cost savings.:
Reduce your string cost by half!

The bass strings on a classical guitar often go dead before the trebles. The strings are usually not worn out. The windings are dirty. Remove the bass strings only. Loosely coil them and place them in a large basin, bathroom sink or whatever. Submerge them in room temperature water. The water can be lukewarm but NEVER HOT. Hot water will cause nylon guitar strings to play out of tune.

Add about 1/4 cup of ammonia to the water and let the strings soak for about fifteen minutes. More time won't hurt them. The ammonia and water mixture breaks down crud that has built up between the windings on the strings. Put a washcloth in the water and pull each string through it a couple of times. Rinse the strings under cold water. Pull them through a dry towel and put them back on your guitar.

The cleaned basses often sound better than they did when new. They don't squeak as much and they don't need to stretch out like new strings. The washed strings also work well for recording because they are somewhat smoother since they have been played in and they have a lively, clear sound.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2004 21:21:39

Miguel de Maria

RE: Prolong your basses (in reply to TANúñez

No, to me that would be more work than just busting open a new case of strings. However, I might keep it mind next time I record, to cut down on squeaking. If you ever need a little supercharge, just wet a rag and wipe down the basses. You'll notice the difference.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2004 21:32:04

Escribano

My problem with basses is not dirt but that they break and unwind around fret 1,2,3 and 5. Maybe I am spoilt but for around $12 for 4-5 weeks playing, I would just put on some new strings. Maybe that's why I'll never be great, not poor enough

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2004 22:00:50

Miguel de Maria

Simon, how do you get your basses to get all messed up like that? I play a lot and pretty hard, but I've never destroyed a bass like that. Are your frets really sharp or something? Or maybe you have acidic sweat?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2004 3:11:08

TANúñez

RE: Prolong your basses (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Simon, how do you get your basses to get all messed up like that?

Simon used to play for the Shockheaded Peters and The Underneath. Real heavy bashers. Right Simon? That would explain the heavy wear on the strings.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2004 12:41:42

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Zurdo
I copied this from a poster on another forum. I've never tried this. Has anyone?

Life's too short for this kind of thing! I agree with Mike, why not just change strings?

A much quicker remedy if you can't be bothered to change your strings: wipe some fast fret over them and wipe with a clean cloth. Takes about 3 minutes and no mucking about with ammonia!

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2004 21:40:23

aarongreen

Some people just kill basses. I have seen it done in a day with new strings. I think their sweat but who knows. People like that need to get an endorsement deal fast to save them from going bankrupt buying strings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2004 16:22:42

Escribano

It must be my sweat, yeah baby!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2004 14:24:43

Escribano

quote:

Simon used to play for the Shockheaded Peters and The Underneath. Real heavy bashers. Right Simon? That would explain the heavy wear on the strings.

Interesting you mentioned The Underneath; I played bass on a couple of tracks but it is not widely known, how'd you pick that up? I am definitely playing a lot more of the bass strings with my thumb since Jerez.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2004 14:37:48

Miguel de Maria

Cool bass runs has to be the grooviest thing about flamenco. Some great bass runs with lots of juicy pull-offs, some aggressive alzapua, add a remate, whamo!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2004 15:33:47

TANúñez

RE: Prolong your basses (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Interesting you mentioned The Underneath; I played bass on a couple of tracks but it is not widely known, how'd you pick that up?

Oh I have my foot in just about everything. The Underneath made Madness look like a bunch of Librarians...right? Rock on!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2004 17:52:25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll