Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: A 2008 challenge?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to Florian

I think one of the most impressive whole compás strums I've heard in a live concert when playing for a dancer and the intensity is maxing out, is the old rumbero trick of doing a 3 beat strum with only up/down movements of the three fingers held together and moving as a single up/down unit.
Takes a lot of practise to alternate the heavy beat from up to down in every other cycle, but it sure is effective.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2008 11:44:34

Mark2

Well my "a" finger is a bit weak, so by using a and m together I get a faster , louder and more even sound. But that's just me. I still consider the way I do it three separate strums-thumb up, am down, thumb down. I am only using "two fingers" and maybe that's why it's easier for me to go louder and faster than with the p,a,i version. I feel the two fingers together also give me more power than just "a" down. I think whichever way you practice most is likely to be your strongest, but it also could be a matter of finding out which way works best for your hand. As I said in another thread, I spent years trying to get a ras my first teacher used solid, and it never happened with consistancy.
There's a very good guitarist in the States named Pedro Cortes and he does the one Ron wrote about really well, so that one is a powerhouse as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

thanks Mark..

I used to do that one alot but i found it very eazy to go uneven but maybe thats just cause i hadent practiced it enough..but i found it eazy to overspin or underspin

i find that when 3 fingers are involved ..it makes it more perfectly even for me and harder to spin out into uneveness

but perhaps i should give it another go ? ...have u used the P up..A down..I Down repet..(same concept and motion as yours only instead of just two strums per cycle theres 3)

how does it compare to that one for volume, evenes, intecity ? il practice anything as long as i know that thats the one most likely to get me what i want...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2008 13:08:48

Ricardo

florian, for me it depends on the rhythm I am trying to make. If they are 4's or 8's per beat like Solea, Alegrias, etc:
amii,amii, amii, amii, etc. To make it louder I might dig in harder. If I needed much louder then like you guys described just move the wrist like you have a pick down and up really fast and hard, no accents, but you keep the feeling of 4's. That feels like ami down as one stroke, then P up as the other. And you need to hold chord that uses all 6 strings.

Very rarely, there is a dynamic between those where I will do 4' or 8's using p-am-p as mark described, but the rhythm is very synchopated and might throw off the palmeros (unless they are really good), so it depends on the situation where I might use it.

Talking more about continuous tresillos that you would use in bulerias or 6x in solea/Alegrias, I have more options. in order of dynamics:
p-a-i, but depending on the strings I target, I can do this one very very soft or very very loud.
i-a-i, again I can target trebel strings or basses depending on the sound I want, and do this both very soft or very loud as I need. I would say I have more control over dynamics with both of these technques than any others. I may spring off from a pattern ami,then i-a-i,i-a-i, etc.

Likewise, with the same concept as i-a-i, I can do 4 notes per beat crammed in the same tempo using eami,iami,iami,iami,iami, etc. In bulerias this is nice.

Then the "morote" triplets. This one I need a certain minimum speed to produce, it is best on full chords using all 6 strings, and again starting at a loudish volume. So the dynamics are more limited for me with this technique. But it is real fun.
p up, m down, p down-that one is loud. To get louder I add fingers.
p am p, like mark does, is very loud.
p ami P, is extremely loud. I really stiffen the hand and dig in on this one. I demoed this for Gerardo in class when he asked around the room about tresillos that everyone liked, and he laughed! It is actually funny how loud you can make it if you try.

And I can go one better than that using what Ron describes, and I describe above, you just go up and down with the wrist really hard and fast, but if you want triplets you can TRY to accent, but you don't have to. Again, you can just feel the rhythmic groupings in 6 or 3 or whatever you are making.

One more thing, I might do the Marote triplet as synchopated 4's or 8's in bulerias (like the iami,iami, rhythm), again it might be weird for the palmeros. A lot of dance accompanists will do this if the tempo is such that triplets feel not energetic enough. In the end it is just a personal thing to do what works and feels right.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2008 4:56:49

Florian

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to Ron.M

thanks guys very interesting stuff..

Ron i use to be quiet good at the one u describe for a while it was my fav one to do and practiced it alot...but i found it to be a nail killer, and the skin around your nails is a mess lol( u know where skin normaly tears just before the nail) and after one of those long ones your hands are so sore and discorganised that is hard to go straight into a falseta..

theres some very interesting stuff u guys all suggested i am gonne look closer into some of it..thanks for taking the time
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2008 5:07:02

Florian

heres some stuff u guys might be interested in..i never tried Uncle Nani's its the same as i do atm but without the thumb down..

I cant say where this comes from cause i dont wana attract atention.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2008 5:21:33

mark indigo

quote:

heres some stuff u guys might be interested in..i never tried Uncle Nani's its the same as i do atm but without the thumb down..

I cant say where this comes from cause i dont wana attract atention.

thanks for that Florian, that's really interesting. I mean, I use all of these all the time (apart from Uncle Nani's), but i didn't know all these names for them. Do you (or anyone else) know if these are universally used?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2008 13:24:25

Florian

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

Do you (or anyone else) know if these are universally used?

I dont know how universal but i would imagine so.. its a very respected guitarist's book

the names all make perfect sence
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 10:59:04

mark indigo

quote:

its a very respected guitarist's book

you gonna tell us what the book is then?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 11:26:07

Estevan

quote:

you gonna tell us what the book is then?!

I don't know where Flo got it but let's just say it's very similar to Enrique Vargas's material.
Very similar...

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 11:49:10

mark indigo

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to Estevan

quote:

it's very similar to Enrique Vargas's material

er.... i don't have any of his books.... is it printed in all of them, like the "explanation of symbols" page in the Encuentro books? Or is there one particular book with it in? Only maybe I should get it....

quote:

I cant say where this comes from cause i dont wana attract atention

so like, posting 2 pages from a book is kinda ok as long as you don't cite the author 'cos then there might be trouble?! i don't get it if you tell me what it is i might BUY it, so it's good advertising!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 12:24:22

mrMagenta

Could it be from a book of El Viejin transciptions by Vargas?

My teacher had Vargas as his teacher, so these are the names he taught me too. I like them, they're descriptive. I didn't know about the uncle Nani one... i figured it had to be used by someone though cause it feels good to the hand. When i do abanico chico.. which is the one i have most difficulties doing continuously, i automatically go into "Tio Nani" when i loose focus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 13:42:37

mark indigo

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

I like them, they're descriptive.

i like them too, i only had the name for "abanico" before, even though using them all (except tio nani's, which i can't do at all).

i picked the "tresillos" iai (without knowing the name) from one of the Encuentros, and I adapted it to fit a dance step they called "galloping" in class, which is exactly the rhythm, and i play exactly the fingering, of "caballo"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 14:15:43

Florian

quote:

so like, posting 2 pages from a book is kinda ok as long as you don't cite the author 'cos then there might be trouble?! i don't get it if you tell me what it is i might BUY it, so it's good advertising!

no i shouldnt have posted it but i couldnt resist i wanted to share that with you guys..i am not really sharing any music just common names used for common things in flamenco..

mrMagneta

yes
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2008 17:02:50

Haizum

Cheers Flo, I (ahem) only ever used the one of those.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2008 15:34:37

Estevan

A maybe interesting bit of trivia: according to Antonio Rey, Nani is the father of David Cerreduela, and considered to be one of the founders of the Cañorroto school. Whose uncle he is, I don't know, but it's probably safe to assume he's the one that the rasgueo was named after, since Vargas is connected with these guys.

Antonio Rey, guitarrista flamenco. Entrevista

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2008 12:25:15

Florian

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Cheers Flo, I (ahem) only ever used the one of those.

my pleasure Haizum... whatever works amigo, ..but anyway now u can experiment with one or 2 of those see wich gets the sound u want better

thanks Estevan thats a very interesting interview
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2008 14:51:35

Ricardo

RE: A 2008 challenge? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

Well... I dont like this bulerias.. Plazuela would be nicer. I also have to buy a new guitar before start practiceing... I sold my major guitar around 2 weeks ago.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2009 18:20:53
Page:   <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll