Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

A really cold gig!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

A really cold gig! 

Hey everyone!

How are you all? Remember me? It's been a pretty long time since I last made a posting here! I have not become a lurker (yet !), but my studies this year are REALLY overwhelming. I have been barely practicing, and I guess my technique is deteriorating. What can I do; studies come first...

Well, I just wanted to share my feelings with you all about a gig I played at yesterday. It was a Christmas benefit dinner, and I was invited to play for 15 minutes. Naturally, I played mostly rumbas and light flamenco palos. But I was amazed at how POORLY my performance was received! Nobody was listening (and this is NOT usually the case when I perform)! I had to applaud myself after one of the pieces was over for people to realize that it was over. And really, I was playing pretty well (I thought so at least!). It was a really harsh crowd. What pissed me off is that there were three performances: mine, another with a girl and a guy playing and singing some pop songs (also poorly received), and a third with a latino dancing performance. The latter was VERY WELL received, and every one shut up and went on to watch and cheer. I guess it's true what they say: SEX SELLS! and flamenco doesn't

So, have you ever had something like that happen?

PS: thank God I have this 10-day Christmas break now. I can finally catch up on some of the latest foro news!!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2007 22:28:37

Ramin

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to rombsix

Unfortunately, here in Toronto, this is considered normal. You should see the surprise look on some musicians' faces when I applaud after each song. On many occasions, I've been approached by musicians asking me if I'm from Montreal!!!

I think live music, in general, requires attention from the audience. It enhances the musician's experience and enjoyment as well. Once in Budapest, my wife and I were listening to this guy playing superb classical violin in the street. He must have played an entire concert for us. At one point, before he started another piece he asked me to stop putting more money in his violin case!!! He said he just enjoyed playing for us. That was a great honor!

Ramin

What we are today comes from out thoughts of yesterday and our present thoughts build our life tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind.
-Buddha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2007 2:24:21

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to Ramin

wow, i live in Budapest but can't imagine something like this happening...
a very nice (meanwhile sad) story...i hate seeing good musicians playing on the streets for a living...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2007 3:10:14

alaskaal

This has happened to me more times than I can recount. Since I love to play anyway, and I'm being paid, I just figure that it's another practice session. I can play a lot of clams in a noisy room and none are the wiser. I did play a gig with my son a couple of months ago for a private birthday party. In the middle of a very noisy set where we could not be heard at all, a fellow got up on stage in the middle of a number and began shouting, "May I have your attention please! Please! May I have your attention!" My son and I packed up and left. I don't know if anyone even noticed.

Then there are the times when I begin to play, the room goes still and everyone there hangs on my every note. Those are the times I play for. I remember one night this happened in a small bar/cafe and the audience and I were really getting into it. The room was as quiet as a tomb when the bartender turned on a blender full of ice cubes...

Thirty-six years ago a friend and I opened for the Kingston Trio. The audience did not want classical or flamenco music, they wanted BANJO! We were boo'd off of the stage. The only night I ever really bombed, and boy-howdy did we bomb! Closed friends pretended not to know who we were.

Al
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2007 3:27:14

HemeolaMan

so develop an exciting marketing pitch like juan martin!

or sell your act as being full of sensuous,, silky smooth, exotic pieces

or, alternately, you could accompany dancers, who coincidentally are also strippers.....
just a thought lol

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2007 16:47:50

rombsix

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to HemeolaMan

Yeah I hear ya dude ... I thought playing with a red shirt on would make things spicier. Maybe get some attention or something... Didn't seem to work. I guess playing with NO shirt on would work... After having gone to the gym for about a year or so ...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2007 22:10:03

Cordova

How people are reacting to your performance can really be distracting and deceptive. The very l last time I played, I actually saw two people with headphones on. However, during a break in the music, one of those people came up to me and told me how much they enjoyed the music. Paying too much attention to the audience, for me personally, is not a good thing. Having said that, I am not an experienced professional. I only play out once a week. You might try to associate thoughts and feelings to particular pieces, and make the music reflect those thoughts. The thoughts don't even necessarily have to be yours. You can ask a friend to tell you what they were thinking as you played a particular piece. It's really surprising to hear some of the answers. I've heard of topics such as: relaxing on a boat on a lake, sin and redemption, a funeral, a party, mining, floating on air, etc. The first time you hear a piece of music, it will present its own visualization, and you just need to bring that back to the to your mind as you play. If I'm not surprised at least once while playing out a given day, is an unusual day. The week before, I had someone ask me to play "Little Red Rooster" by Howling Wolf. People will surprise you, playing out, that's part of the fun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 3:06:43

Howard

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to rombsix)2 votes

You wanna be noticed? Turn the volume up way loud! I am not ****iing you. It doesn't matter what you're playing. You could be playing chtrisnals songs or ring around the rosie, you gotta slap those bastards in the face with some HIGH VOLUME ****. If you're di9cking aound with you';re little classical/flamenco crap. forget it. If you thjink ytour flamenco crap id good enoyghj, then go for it. Don';t ever skulk away from a gig, Leqave beadcause they told you you werel too loud. Not because you were embararassed. Grow some balls Look dickhead, nobody is going to be focused on the music at a wedd8ing Get over it Sop what Nobody cares. You said you got up and waliked out. Well you sucked to begin with. Uou w4ere playing the wrong kind of music for the venue. Go back to lyour room and learn how to play A"The Girl From Ipanema" I am not kidding. If you want to learn how to make money playing guitar, you will not goi by the lsuggestions you hear3 on this forum. Been there mdone that, classical guiotar will not make money or hold an audiance. Bottom line dude. Don't come on here with your crap stories about how yur flamenco playing was not well recieved. I don't want to hear it. Basically you sucked, and the audiense heard it. So don't come on here bitching about how your performannce sucked. YOU sucked. Get lover it, It wasn't the music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 5:53:09

Ricardo

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to Howard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Howard

You wanna be noticed? Turn the volume up way loud! I am not ****iing you. It doesn't matter what you're playing. You could be playing chtrisnals songs or ring around the rosie, you gotta slap those bastards in the face with some HIGH VOLUME ****. If you're di9cking aound with you';re little classical/flamenco crap. forget it. If you thjink ytour flamenco crap id good enoyghj, then go for it. Don';t ever skulk away from a gig, Leqave beadcause they told you you werel too loud. Not because you were embararassed. Grow some balls Look dickhead, nobody is going to be focused on the music at a wedd8ing Get over it Sop what Nobody cares. You said you got up and waliked out. Well you sucked to begin with. Uou w4ere playing the wrong kind of music for the venue. Go back to lyour room and learn how to play A"The Girl From Ipanema" I am not kidding. If you want to learn how to make money playing guitar, you will not goi by the lsuggestions you hear3 on this forum. Been there mdone that, classical guiotar will not make money or hold an audiance. Bottom line dude. Don't come on here with your crap stories about how yur flamenco playing was not well recieved. I don't want to hear it. Basically you sucked, and the audiense heard it. So don't come on here bitching about how your performannce sucked. YOU sucked. Get lover it, It wasn't the music.

Well, you are right about volume being important. Loud or soft, it has to be heard at the right level, not too loud so people leave of course, but you need to be PRESENT in the people's face.

All the rest you wrote was crap though. Are you drinking or something? Lots of typos and aggression. Maybe sleep it off and come back with a clear head.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 6:02:19

Doitsujin

I think Howard is lucky because Knecht Ruprecht is off for around a year. ...otherwise.... ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 9:03:44

Ailsa

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to Howard

Howard, it sounds as if you are not well. Get yourself sorted out, perhaps get some help, and then come back and talk to us when you are feeling a bit more together. You'll be welcome then.

A
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 11:00:22

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:33:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 11:05:26

gato

@ rombsix, keep at it, you will have colder gigs, and warmer gigs, 'hot gigs, 'all kinds of gigs. Such is the life........I mean, after all, after all is done, yo've got to keep at it and do your best to keep it in perspective. And after all, how could you ever know unless you keep at it. Every night it's a new crowd, 'nobody gaurentees what the response will be. It's the nature of performing, 'you have to be there for it all, and that's all any one can say.....unless you're quad! Consider yourself lucky to perform and that's all....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2007 11:25:19

Jasmine_27

Dear Romb,

I'm sorry to hear about your gig. I just think your audience was pretty ignorant or maybe drunk if they ignored you. Maybe if you hook up with a dancer, they'll show a little more appreciation! It's unfortunately really true that sex sells, and dancers always attract more attention - whether they deserve it or not! Ganbare!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2007 11:46:24

rombsix

Thanks Cordova, Howard (yes, even you!), Ricardo, Doitsujin, Ailsa, JBASHORUN, gato, and Jasmine_27.

I guess all your points of view are applicable. Most of you guys have much more experience with playing gigs than I do. I've only done so about 10 times in the past 6 years, so I'm obviously not the expert.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2007 19:54:11

Jim Opfer

Hi Rombsix,

Sorry it went that way for you but it sounds like one of those ones where people were just out to enjoy themselves and you were there simply to fill in some background noise. Dance always attracts interest and I find that when my dancer does her bit and it's time for my solo (During the dress change) everyone starts talking, gets up and goes over to the bar sort of like 'the intermission'. Anyway, we played in a bar one night under some old railway arches in glasgow. The practice went fine because the place was empty, but cometh the hour, the place was mobbed. I couldn't hear myself play, she couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear her feet. Then, worst of all, the crown closed in round her and tried to get her out of her dress. True! no kiddology, that's what happened. One of the guys was on bail out of Barlinnie prison for the weekend and he thought this was great fun. The bar tenders had to come in and rescue us.
Dissaster.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2008 4:28:47

rombsix

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to Jim Opfer

Hey Jim. Thanks for sharing your story. Makes mine sound like nothing compared to yours! It's a good things the bar tenders jumped in.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2008 4:59:09

Mark2

Just do more gigs. there are good ones and bad ones. If you do a bunch of them, you will become more confident and enjoy them more. As to if flamenco "sells", it just depends.

I did a gig once and the guy who played before me was so much better than me. He played Stevie Wonder tunes on the guitar and sang. I was really new to playing solo at that time and really nervous. But the crowd liked me way more than him because they were ready to hear something different. I saw the look of disgust on the other player's face when I got this ovation after hacking through, of all things, a zambra. I actually felt bad for the guy because it seemed I was the ony one who realized how good he was.

I've also done a ton of gigs where nobody clapped the whole gig. Those gigs usually pay the most. I learned to look at them as being paid to practice. I used to think, and I like to believe, that that would never happen if I could play as well as a really good professional flamenco player, but I'm not so sure anymore.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2008 5:43:25

val

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to Mark2

You're not alone. Did you ever see the story and video of a famous violinist?
"The awkward times," he calls them. It's what happens right after each piece ends: nothing. The music stops. The same people who hadn't noticed him playing don't notice that he has finished. No applause, no acknowledgment. So Bell just saws out a small, nervous chord -- the embarrassed musician's equivalent of, "Er, okay, moving right along . . ." -- and begins the next piece.
Val
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2008 2:12:28

Ailsa

RE: A really cold gig! (in reply to val

That's an amazing story Val. Really makes you think about context - how the best musician can be ignored if the context doesn't make sense. But I also thought about the people who walked on by and liked this quote:

If we can't take the time out of our lives to stay a moment and listen to one of the best musicians on Earth play some of the best music ever written; if the surge of modern life so overpowers us that we are deaf and blind to something like that -- then what else are we missing?

Hmmm.... I think I feel a New Year's resolution coming on....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2008 2:55:45

Mark

If you want some good (easy) practice playing in front of people who couldn't care less about you sitting there with your wooden box try playing on the street. A lot of people will ignore you, a lot of people will purposefully avoid eye contact with you, and you can play whatever you want as many times as you want. It's also good practice for working in an environment with horrendous acoustics. Plus you can make some money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2008 16:51:06
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post