Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Juan Martin?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Arash

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to cathulu)1 votes

Man, i would love to see one day a group Bulerias with Paco, Gerardo, Tomatito, etc, and as special guest Juan!!..I think he would p!ss his pants haha lol Oleee

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 3:17:42

mark indigo

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Arash)1 votes

whoagh!!! I wasn't expecting this! Had no idea what I was starting!

Seriously though, I'm not really bothered about people's opinions of JM, or how they feel about him, I'm sorta more interested in the "facts" as it were, 'cos I think that will sort all the other stuff out....

I don't really care what he calls himself, or where he was born or grew up, but I do care about him being honest about it.

I'm not interested in putting him down as a guitarist or for being successful, but I don't like thinking that he just might be duping the public, not to mention the concert promoters into the bargain....

What made me post this here was seeing on Wikipedia that he was born in Malaga, and the same thing being published in a UK newspaper (the Independent).

I have serious doubts about the truth of this, partly because it doesn't actually appear in any of JM's publicity (or at least not in the original book and some later videos I looked at), and partly because I have heard it from at least 3 people who told me they knew him in London in the 70's (probably including your older dance teacher Val, if you are anywhere on the M4 corridor), one of whom is now dead.

JM's own website is sort of vague about his origins, saying he is a "native of Andalucía" and referring to his "early years in Málaga" without actually saying definately where he was born and grew up. So why does Wikipedia say he was born in Malaga and that he's Spanish? And why do newspapers say the same?

I wonder if the tabloid press would do some research if they thought they could make a sensational story out of it?

mark
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 4:34:44

Ron.M

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to mark indigo)1 votes

quote:

I wonder if the tabloid press would do some research if they thought they could make a sensational story out of it?

Nah Mark,
I don't think the press would regard it as anything interesting.
Now, what they would regard as sensational is Julian Clary being found with a call-girl.

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 5:03:34

Mark2

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to mark indigo)3 votes

IMO, Mark, all the answers to your questions about Juan are contained in his playing.

Flo, totaly agree about people like Jason. If you search my old posts on his playing, you'll see your preaching to the choir on that subject. I knew the guy was brilliant the first time I heard him.

There is the issue of flamenco soloists who made their living outside Spain in the 50's, 60, 70's, and how it affected their playing. Based on guys like Sabicas, Escudero, Juan Serrano, and Paco Pena, I think it would be reasonable to conclude that this career decision led to a stagnation of development in terms of style. None of these guys really seemed to move forward in style of play thoughout their careers except perhaps Escudero. Or is it simply a matter of that's the way they play because that's the way they wanted to play? I think it's probably not an issue today because of you tube, a ton of DVD's , cd's etc. which could keep players in contact with current trends.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 5:05:43

Hugh

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Ron.M)1 votes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

quote:

Nah Mark,
I don't think the press would regard it as anything interesting.
Now, what they would regard as sensational is Julian Clary being found with a call-girl.

cheers,

Ron

Probably be a better headline if Juan was caught in the public loo's with Julian in a Spanish cops uniform
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 6:00:06

Florian

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Hugh

Mark2 as always a voice of reason...

even if i didnt agree with you, i can work with this, discuss it , makes sence to me, its just facts, not personal keeping it to the subject of the discussion.

but i get a bit annoyed when people get theyr back up if other give an opinion that its different to them and dont wanna hear to what you have to say and start getting personal, and rate posts down etc.
Or start labeling you as a trouble maker or hater.

in all my time here, JM is the only guitarist i have ever criticised to my memory, but i praised about 3000 guitarists.
Many people criticised guitarists i like, i took it.

i gues thats why i got a litlle TOO graphical last night

Sorry to the beginner guitarists who study him atm, it is a good beginner book, probably the best, the way its set up , it makes sence and its eazy to follow.

i fixed the ratings again, sorry got lazy after page 2 thats as far as i got

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 10:06:28

cathulu

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Arash

HAHAHAHAHA!

Nasty! I think my email response indicated I didn't believe you, but in the universe of potentialities it seemed plausible! Perhaps in another quantum universe it was!

I wasn't the only one!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 11:43:48

cathulu

I'd love to see a group Bulerias also!

Sorry about that Chief!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 11:54:06

wiglebot

yea, "Tan-In-A-Can" wanted to sponsor Juan, but he told them he needs to keep it on the down low

http://www.salonweb.com/spray_tan/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 15:01:06

John O.

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to wiglebot

Must have changed his mind, I found the add:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 20:27:31

Florian

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to John O.

I just remembered my bulletin , I am such a hipocryt lol

John O or anyone with myspace, check a bulletin from me about 3 days ago for a show

forghot about that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 22:44:52

John O.

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Florian

Cool! Yeah, you're taking a piece of the JM cake there too

Too bad I can't make it - it's a ways away from here...

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2007 23:55:00

Sherlock Khomes

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL:
" born in Malaga"

I have serious doubts about the truth of this,......because I have heard it from at least 3 people who told me they knew him in London in the 70's, one of whom is now dead.

I kham famous eeenglish detective Sherlock Khomes! I eenvestigate de nativty of the great malagueñan Juan Martin. I find hees certifado de nacimiento een Malaga and say to djew all dat he ease true Malaga man.
De people khoo say day know khim en London khave beeg accidente, dat is why day are ded. Khee ees the third best guitareest and third sexiest man een all of España (after Banderas and Aznar)
Dees man ees Hero een España, with all de other great Malageños como Paco de lucia, Picasso y Beckham. Djo all leeve khim alone now. We love Juan

"Khelementery, my dear Watson"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 3:42:13

koella

I'm glad we finally heard the truth.
Is that you Doit ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 5:49:34

Ron.M

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to koella

quote:

Is that you Doit ?

No, ziss is not Herr Doit, but in fact a certain Mr. Pimmelhaussen.
Ve at Admin Kontrol haff vays of finding zees things out.
It is our job.

Ziss "double registration" shall stop immediately.
Othervise you vill be shot...
And ziss fellow ...Juan...vatever....he shall also be shot...
In fact EVERYVONE vill be shot!

By Orders,

The Management.

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 6:05:48

koella

Gut.
Also, mach weiter Herr Ron.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 6:13:30

Florian

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to koella

quote:

I kham famous eeenglish detective Sherlock Khomes! I eenvestigate de nativty of the great malagueñan Juan Martin. I find hees certifado de nacimiento een Malaga and say to djew all dat he ease true Malaga man.
De people khoo say day know khim en London khave beeg accidente, dat is why day are ded. Khee ees the third best guitareest and third sexiest man een all of España (after Banderas and Aznar)
Dees man ees Hero een España, with all de other great Malageños como Paco de lucia, Picasso y Beckham. Djo all leeve khim alone now. We love Juan

quote:

Ve at Admin Kontrol haff vays of finding zees things out.
It is our job.

Ziss "double registration" shall stop immediately.
Othervise you vill be shot...
And ziss fellow ...Juan...vatever....he shall also be shot...
In fact EVERYVONE vill be shot!

By Orders,

The Management.

funny ****

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 11:50:51

andresito

This thread has everything! It's better than Cats! It's made me laugh, cry, feel warm inside and burn with rage, all in three pages!
Also it's nice to see Flo starting to come out of his shell

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 14:13:26

Pimientito

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

...i kham so ashamed.........
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2007 21:26:39

gato

I didn't mean to be too judgemental concerning you all, and Florian, it's just that I don't see that it is fair that all of this one way bashing of Juan Martin could be fair, so I presented an opposing view. I mean, he has to make a living, and you were destroying his public image on the Internet, so I defended him. I wonder what you would do if Juan Martin had something to say about all of you and mentioned you by name on his Web site, or in interviews. I think it is better to keep the foro a positive place than a place for negativity no matter what you say. Otherwise I think I will stay out of it in the future. I did not mean to make any enemies on the foro or loose integrity with you.

Gary

Peace
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2007 12:59:39

Florian

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to gato

Its cool Gato, you are probably right, i shouldnt have gonne as in as much detail as i did. Sometimes i just speak my mind forgheting that alot of people can read this, i just speak as i would with my mates at a party.

Everyone has the right to earn a living anyway they can.

As for integrity, i dont make a habit of judjing one's integrity based on weather they agree with me or not. Not that its for me to judge anyway.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2007 13:10:42

gato

Well, I can be very mean, and that is not fair to you or anyone else. That is a matter of integrity. Anyway, I was playing the guitar after a moment of inspiration from watching a vid of Manita play, I got on the foro, and now that I put the guitar down, to post this about this JM thread, it seems I have lost all of my energy! I need to get back to work, and, isn't that what this is all about? I need a coffee, and to listen to some flamenco.......yet, I am glad we are not at war Flo.....it was worth the diversion, and, isn't that what we all need! That's why we are on the foro! It's the diversion. Diversion is good!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2007 13:46:34

Florian

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to gato

Why on earth would we be at war, i am not a vindictive or spitefull person, i pretty much let go straight away, life's to short to live it with grudges.. I am loud sometimes , yes lol...but i have always said different tastes should never come between us.

I dont care about JM, but it seems silly to argue with someone i know here, and have known and shared experiences and we have encouraged eachother and shared resources over a famous guitarist, weather i like hir or not.
They are celebs, have alot of people who look out for they'r interest, we on the other hand only have eachother.

just seems silly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2007 14:57:15

andresito

Ok, Flo, I dug out my old JM book in an effort to convince you... here is what it says

'Juan Martin is a virtuoso of the flamenco guitar with a rare combination of talents. He is a phenomenal player who has established an international name for himself as one of today's most exciting and most creative performers of Flamenco. In addition, he is an inspiring teacher with a passionate enthusiasm for communicating his enjoyment and knowledge of the art to others. Such generous commitment of energy to this labour of love is especially remarkable because flamenco guitarists tend by tradition to be very reticent, even secretive, about how they play.

Juan Martin's artistry has evolved in the very purest traditions of Flamenco. From his early years in Malaga, one of the great historic centres of Flamenco, he went on to gain wide experience playing with many of Spain's leading singers and dancers before attaining his present eminence as a solo recitalist and recording star. In London he has given many recitals at the Queen Elizabeth Hall and the Wigmore Hall and he is often asked to play on television and radio. In Madrid he has played to a very large audience in the prestigious Palacio de Congresos and he is now in demand for concert tours in many parts of the world.

For a flamenco guitarist to achieve such distinction, he must have more than just brilliant technique. In the art of Juan Martin one can quickly identify that extra-special magic as an uncompromising 'flamenco-ness' which comes from the soul. His compositions for the guitar sow an exceptionally wide-ranging mastery of rhythm and expression and a profound respect for the oldest traditions and origins of Flamenco. A deep understanding of the flamenco Cante, a rare distillation of experience which inspires much of his music, is a special hallmark of his style, as was memorably demonstrated in his recent London concert with the legendary gipsy singer Rafael Romero. Above all, his playing is powered by an earthy intensity of rhythm and emotion (or, to put it simply, duende) which is the true heart of flamenco.'

Now, don't you feel just a little bit bad about what you have said about this great man? He is like the Jet Li of flamenco among so many Steven Seagals...
I think you need to go away and learn 'La feria' and ponder it's 'flamenco-ness', and when you feel you are ready to rejoin the foro we will be glad to welcome you back

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2007 21:55:29

Ailsa

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to andresito

quote:

ORIGINAL: andresito
'flamenco-ness'

... isn't even a real word
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2007 22:00:33

andresito

RE: Juan Martin? (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ailsa
... isn't even a real word

oh yeah? not real? well why is it in a book, then? It's just as real as the rest of Juan's CV

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2007 22:09:42

Ailsa

I prefer flamenco-icity
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2007 23:11:29

quote:

He is like the Jet Li of flamenco

you might even say hes the larry, mo and curly of flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2007 23:33:39

Pimientito

quote:

ORIGINAL: andresito
He is like the Jet Li of flamenco among so many Steven Seagals...

The Sean Connery of Flamenco against so many Roger Moores....

or even the Pamela Anderson of Flamenco against so many David Hasselhoffs...

What are you drinking?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2007 0:48:48

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2022 19:31:30
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2007 1:13:52
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages