Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 0:41:37

Ailsa

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to Guest)1 votes

quote:

ORIGINAL: romerito
(Lurkers suuuck)

Yeah lurkers suck even more than people who post trivia!

How a lurker has the cheek to demand something is beyond me
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 0:48:45

Stu

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to Ailsa)1 votes

Lurkers eh? Thats folk that don't contribute right? do they log in as guests or do they have a profile, but never post? just steal tabs and info and dont contribute!

Lurkers is a horrible word, it conjurs up images of beings that hide in the shadows, starved of sunlight and nutrition, feeding of the scraps of others. Their skin turned a translucent shade of pale due to lack of light. If you shined a torch over them hiding in the dark, hundreds of pairs of eyes would shimmer back at you.

Heres some trivia for you Ailsa, there is no chance of you being banned for "under posting" you're average is approx a whopping 95.875 posts per month, which works out at, 23.24 posts per week.
I think I should contribute more my average is much lower. 34.7 posts a month approx.

Stu

ps. what brought this post on romerito? How can you tell there are lurkers around?? ____NEVER MIND, I JUST FOUND OUT WHY OVER IN THE VID SECTION
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:09:21

n85ae

I think lurker's who sign on to complain about recent threads, should be
publicly dismembered, then banned from the forum. :)

Or banned from the forum, then publicly dismembered ...

Is that too harsh?

Let me know if I shouldn't say stuff like that in the future.

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:29:10

kg

Since this is obviously a thread created to bash innocent me, I'll say only this: It's better to be silent, if you don't have anything interesting to say. Seems it's all about numbers for some.

Oh well, who cares :)

Edit: I just read people's reply in the other thread. Ailsa, you're right, I haven't contributed anything to the foro "with my 8 posts". That is only beacuse I don't have anything to contribute, yet. At least I don't spam/trash threads with pointless posts. If you wish to discuss this further, I will only reply to PMs regarding this 'issue'. EOT on my side :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:35:23

[Deleted] (in reply to kg

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:40:54

n85ae

Kg -

Well, if you participate in the forum you might understand why some of the
recent threads have come up.

Plus a little intro might be nice, since obviously you are now a non-lurker,
so who are you anyway???? :)

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:45:07

mrMagenta

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to Guest

I don't know what this specific issue is about (yet).. but don't all forumites evolve from lurkers?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:48:17

Arash

quote:

Hi administration (Ron and Simon.)

I love the foro.
Let me just say that If people who didn't post at least once a week were barred from the foro, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

(Lurkers suuuck)

No...this is too harsh and also too general Romerito.

I mean we have new users who should not be forced to post until they feel comfortable to do it. I think i also watched or "lurked" at the beginning. Dont remember.

Also we have bloody beginners who simply can not contribute much.
Ok they can ask questions, but not much more until they have gained a level of knowledge to be able to help others.

Ok, i also dont like it when someone who doesnt do anything for the foro, is complaining the whole time and demanding and critisising without giving anything back to the foro. At least saying "thank you" or something would be nice.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 1:51:36

nhills

Lurker is spelled "learner."

"The duende is God's orgasm." - Antonio Canales

"I'm just a poor crazy man in love with his art." - Santos Hernandez (as translated by R. Brune)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:03:42

kg

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to n85ae)1 votes

quote:

ORIGINAL: n85ae
Well, if you participate in the forum you might understand why some of the
recent threads have come up.

I've been reading the forum for quite a while now, even before I registered. Putting all the Florian vs the rest of the world stuff aside, understanding this issue has little to do with constant thread thrashing, which is really irritating. Though all of you might have (and obviously that's what happend) taken my post as demanding/gimme-gimme-gimme/whatever, that was not my intent. I only asked Florian (not anyone else) a question, plus expressed my opinion about private rants, that SHOULD go elsewhere. Is that such a bad thing? Some people didn't have any problem with this.
quote:

Plus a little intro might be nice, since obviously you are now a non-lurker,
so who are you anyway???? :)

Just a person with the same goal as most people here. Seems that there are some that rather bitch about everyting though ;) Oh, and I was pretty sure I said "hello" somewhere, if I didn't, well.. to late for that now :)

Since some replies came in while writing this...

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrMagenta
I don't know what this specific issue is about (yet).. but don't all forumites evolve from lurkers?

Bingo!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash
Ok, i also dont like it when someone who doesnt do anything for the foro, is complaining the whole time and demanding and critisising without giving anything back to the foro.

Well, I complained only once, not the 'whole time', about one thing that haunts every forum -- private issues gone public, spreading everywhere, which IS annoying. Wouldn't you agree?
quote:

At least saying "thank you" or something would be nice.

I did. I'm not an a**hole, you know.

I hope all is clear now, people that needed their post counters incremented are happy, people who still didn't lower my score still have the chance to do that, we can all go on with our lives.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:05:00

val

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to Arash

quote:

Also we have bloody beginners

That's harsh. That's me.
I lurk a great deal but I do try to post the odd bit of crap from time to time.
Val
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:08:48

Arash

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to kg

quote:

ORIGINAL: kg

Well, I complained only once, not the 'whole time', about one thing that haunts every forum -- private issues gone public, spreading everywhere, which IS annoying. Wouldn't you agree?

I did. I'm not an a**hole, you know.

I hope all is clear now, people that needed their post counters incremented are happy, people who still didn't lower my score still have the chance to do that, we can all go on with our lives.

cool down man.

If i were sure about you, i would have mentioned your name and not talked general.

In fact, this is the first time i see you complaining (or see you )and i also agree with you that too much private wars in the foro are annoying. What i mentioned was the extreme case and not you.
But now dont start a new war.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:12:23

Arash

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to val

quote:

ORIGINAL: val

quote:

Also we have bloody beginners

That's harsh. That's me.
I lurk a great deal but I do try to post the odd bit of crap from time to time.
Val

...i was really trying to defend the "friendly" lurkers.......look now what happened

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:14:12

c

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to Arash

LURK, LURK
ha ha ha ha ha...hahahaha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:22:29

gato

I don't mind lurkers, I mean, what do you say if you have nothing to say? I would rather it be a forum, where people share ideas and if they have none that they not disturb the flow of ideas for the sake of mindlessly posting to get attention. There are times when I say nothing, and there are times when I post responses, and I have to read a thread in order to decide that. This is a forum and not a chat room. Some times it takes a bit of time to get used to. In my opinion lurking is a part of the overall process.......
Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:22:54

n85ae

Kg -

Do you have first name, or is it just Kg? I'm Jeff. :)

Do you play the guitar? I do, I was a terrible guitar player, but it's improving.
Guitar is hard, flamenco is very hard.

Welcome to the forum!

Ok - the dismembering comment might have been harsh.

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 2:25:40

mrMagenta

hm.. please don't kill me. i'm a bit confused and i'm going to try summing things up:
florian makes an effort to help out, recording videos on the bulerias rhythm (an effort i value, and hope to return in some way).. toddK goes a bit harsh over it. the forum sort of pinches itself not to cause an inflamed situation all over again, but kg comes in with some lousy timing, and writes something which basically has been addressed in the neighboring threads, for instance in romeritos practical demonstration of a progressive/contributing forum policy (sharing superb material! ), and kg thus succeeds in looking insensitive and greedy.

now, in review of this, it still only looks like a little slip of tact from kgs part. i am willing to give benefit of doubt, if he reveals his name and says hello .

i can sympathize with the format request.. i happen to be an xvid/ogg person. i'd love it if everything would be in my slightly left bound open format. preferably also using an universal and rational file naming convention. bit unrealistic however (all upload names are scrambled). now wmv isn't necessarily ****ty compression, though bit pc-bound i bet you can find a way to play it with a little help from google.

escribano(simon) is a guy who most likely knows video formatting very well, and he can make an official recommendation if he would see any sense in that. if there is popular request, i could write a description on how you can format your video using open source, free tools that exist on multiple platforms (virtual dub for instance). the important thing tough, is that people shouldn't refrain from uploading their stuff, be it shot with web camera or whatever, especially not for silly technicalities. some cameras/capturing software use compressed wmv as native format and reformatting would yield an even worse picture.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 3:11:55

c

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to mrMagenta

ya please do that

lurk lurk.............peck...peck
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 3:30:34

mrMagenta

allright, i'll put something together and post it in a proper section. :)
it will be tomorrow, because right now i need to sleep (3:43 am) ick..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 3:35:15

Doog

quote:

Hi administration (Ron and Simon.)

I love the foro.
Let me just say that If people who didn't post at least once a week were barred from the foro, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

(Lurkers suuuck)

The ABSOLUTE WORST thing about those shadow-slinking, night-creeping, bottom-dwelling lurkers is that their presence [or suspected presence] brings out all of the PARANOIDS!

Doog
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 3:47:05

c

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to mrMagenta

very cool
If I could turn my mpegs into wmv
I might post a vid of our secret flamenco form (Soleanna por bulagrias)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 4:07:51

HemeolaMan

i'm really curious why everyone is so pissed about lurkers.

look at it this way, i am almost as bad as a lurker, the difference is i have nothing to say and keep posting anyway lol

i have never introduced myself

i have never uploaded or posted anything really useful

can't think of anything i mgiht have even said by accident that would even be of use to the newest of noobs

why is that any better?

I like lurkers personally. it just means they want to know stuff about flamenco, and they just don't have the time, courage, or motivation to spend on being a part of the community.

it's no different than using wikipedia, except there's alot more humanity involved... and we don't have articles on fermented sugar cane (coming soon!)

chill guys, i'm sure kg would be less lurky if when he comes out from the shadows we didnt bark lol.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 4:44:46

papi_rf

I agree with the statement that many active forum users start out as "lurkers". I haven't been on this forum very long, and I don't feel I have all that much to contribute, thus I have not posted much.

For those of you who need a bio,
My name is Ray; my wife calls me Ramon, and my instructor calls me Que No!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 4:52:47

Florian

RE: Proposition concerning lurkers (in reply to papi_rf

Kg. i replied to your question.

I am not gonna judge against every single lurker out there because of your comments, I am sure they will join us whenever they are ready, i have always encouraged Everyones opinion.
i do wish they found a voice more often, i always hated the fact that its always a handfull of us carring this forum, many are just happy to spectate and expect it all to be done for them and when its not they use theyr voice to criticise ?

You have been here 1 year, you might have cheked some history on this forum and see me for what i have given here since the forum started and not for how i act in an unpleasent situation for myself.

Its realy eazy to not make any mistakes when you dont say anything or do anything, but i have 5000 posts, and about 300 mistakes.

quote:

I only asked Florian (not anyone else) a question

by the same token one could say, I was only arguing with Toddk , not anyone else.

welcome to the forum btw

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 6:03:01

[Deleted] (in reply to nhills

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 6:11:05

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 6:20:17

Adam

romerito, be fair. Almost no web forum that I know of (and I've been to quite a few) finds it normal, much less expected, for a new member to specially introduce themselves. That's the way the internet works. I certainly never introduced myself (and still haven't! ) because of that. So...the room analogy doesn't quite work with a foro, I think :) Even if it's done here, which is nice, we can't expect newbies to always do so.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 7:58:42

[Deleted] (in reply to Adam

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 8:27:38

Adam

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes

There there, don't be sad!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2007 8:29:34
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>