Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

MP3 player?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Adam

MP3 player? 

Hola foro-ites! My trusty old Creative MP3 player is no longer working for me and so I need a new one. Unfortunately, Creative and other companies which made great iPod alternatives are no longer doing much, so I think it's basically between the iPod Classic 80 GB and the new Zune 80 GB. I have my own personal quirks and preferences (I don't care so much about video, FM radio, and all those crazy features, but it angers me to no end that these supposedly "high-end" players won't let you edit your on-the-go playlist so I can choose what music I want to hear!), but I'm looking for the experience of foro people with these, especially if they have any opinions on the sound quality of either (I have very nice in-ear monitors, rip most of my music at V0 MP3, and would like to have a player that doesn't restrict the quality of sound I get). Any advice is much appreciated!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 1:34:46

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:40:05
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 2:01:15

Stu

RE: MP3 player? (in reply to Adam

check out i-River mp3 players.

http://www.iriver.com/

I also need a new mp3 player after i dropped my old iriver the other day and it appears damage beyond expensive repair!
A bit of searching around uncovered this
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029995,49291298,00.htm
..which may be useful. Gonna have a read now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 2:37:25

Ron.M

RE: MP3 player? (in reply to Stu

I'm glad this subject has come up!

First thanks to Pat and GB for responding to my earlier post about using mp3 players as a learning tool.
Pat's link to the Tascam product was good although it has many features I don't need.
Also in the UK it's WAY more expensive. (like UK£170)
I'm thinking more UK£20-30!
(Which should be feasible, since my daughter's mp3 player cost only UK£10 )

Since then I've spent hours on the Net looking at mp3 players, but the problem is that they usually just give a "short-form" spec.
These tend to be about the features which will attract an "average" user, like storage capacity, menus, size, colour etc)
Since I'll be buying one via mail-order, I really need to know if the player will have the features I need.
So what I'm asking is:-
Does anybody actually OWN or KNOW OF a player having these functions....

(First...I don't want to pay for a screen to show video..just for audio use only.
Also, I couldn't care less about memory...I'm not going to be storing heaps of tunes. )

What I need is...

1. A-B "language learning" mode which will repeat (loop) short sections of the tune.
2. An ability to slow down that section without changing the pitch.
3. A separate pitch control would be very handy to save tuning the guitar.
4. A "line in" socket for recording analog stuff would also be handy, but not essential.

(So basically it's an "Amazing Slowdowner" in a portable mp3 player format.)

So far I've found some around the UK£30 mark that have the A-B loop feature, but don't mention if they slow down or not.
Also some "Dictation/Memo" type mp3 recorders/players that slow down, but they don't mention whether they have a loop function or not.

As I said, I'll be buying via mail order, so I don't want to assume anything.

Can anyone help?

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 14:02:01

Stu

hey ron. My old iriver had two of those functions a-b and the line in. It had slow down feature but pitch would change too. Not sure if you'll be able to find a player that can 'time stretch' without changin pitch but who knows. The player also had an internal mike. For dicta ting, and it was also a hard drive which i could transfer any files by plug and play and drag and drop. Very simple. Not sure how helpful that is, perhaps not at all.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 15:31:35

Pimientito

RE: MP3 player? (in reply to Stu

My mini disc recorder is on its last legs and i was looking to buy a new one with high MD but now i am thinking of getting a mp3 recorder with a mic or just getting an ipod with a mic instead. I can upload from my minidisc recorder OK but not sure if the quality would be better on an mp3 recorder. I need to record at least an hour ata time. Anyone have a suggestion?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 17:58:25

Anders Eliasson

I have a Panasonic MP3 which is very simple to use with few features. It uses SD cards, and the quality of the thing is very good and so its soundquality. BUT ...... The software is so poor that I use it very little

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 21:32:52

Adam

Hmm...after looking around it looks like the Zune is the way to go. It seems like a very nice product, with better features than the iPod Classic and (in my opinion) even nicer aesthetics. The iPod Touch is, of course, the sexiest of them all, but only 16 GB, hell, it wouldn't even fit all my flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2007 21:41:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post