Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Recommendations for Beginner Guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Rhombuss

Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? 

Hello, I've been interested in learning guitar for a while now (flamenco in particular). I have a formal music background with piano, and I've recently begun to learn the mandolin as well. Obviously the first step would be to get a guitar. What would you folks recommend in the beginner category? Hopefully something in the sub-1000 range. I'm in Toronto, and close enough to the 12th Fret store here (which some of you may be aware of). I've done a bit of poking around on Ebay, but I'm sure a lot of stuff on there is hit-miss unless you well-informed.

Comments or suggestions are appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 4:13:31

HemeolaMan

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to Rhombuss

well for a very beginner, i'm not sure.

formal piano training and flamenco are different animals. but if you want a really serviceable good sounding well built beginner guitar try francisco navarro i'v eheard good things.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 6:30:38

Arash

For a very beginner:
Yamaha CGSF171 ( about 350 $ )

I bought one of these yamaha guitars for one of my friends and it is definately worth the price (even much better that some other more expensive spanish guitars).

And after an year or so, if you should decide to stay in the flamenco world, you can go for semi-pro guitars over 1500 $ (Like Hnos. Sanchis Lopez etc.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 9:58:00

ecgfc

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to HemeolaMan

I bought a Navarro student flamenco...so far so good, then again as compare to what, CGSF171? Craftmanship was good, better that CGSF171. Sound quality is ok, depending on humidity I guess. I'm pretty happy with this entry level guitar although I'll be purchasing an upper 2k + model in the near future.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 15:03:26

[Deleted] (in reply to Rhombuss

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 16:09:31

Estevan

quote:

I'm in Toronto, and close enough to the 12th Fret store

The flamenco guitars they carry are Alhambra (and sometimes the Ramirez student models which are made in the Alhambra and Raimundo factories and overpriced because of the label).
You can try the Yamaha at Long & McQuade on Bloor St. They also carry Almansa flamencos.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 20:14:58

Doitsujin

Well, I would recommend you my second guitar. A Luis Marin blanca. It has very good settings. Its easy to play on it, especially picado. I would sell it for 999Euro. I play it still often in danceclasses. Shipping costs included. Well.. just think..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2007 20:58:53

Rhombuss

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The Yamaha definitely looks like something I'd consider, mainly because of the low price. Since it's a mass-produced instrument, how sensitive is it to requiring a proper "setup"? I know bridge/nut/saddle adjustments all affect the tonality and action of the strings, but I'm assuming this isn't really necessary on a $350 guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 2:00:56

[Deleted] (in reply to Rhombuss

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 17:32:03

Escribano

Bernal always comes out well in these discussions. Mine is great. Although I bought an Anders peghead after 3 years, I still use my Bernal.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 17:44:45

DavidT

I'd go for the Cordoba 55fce. It's $1,007 on-line. I've tried it at Guitar Center and I'm impressed. I would've bought it if I don't already have many guitars.

- Playability is great
- Has Fishman Pro Blend pickup and sound really great. The pickup itself cost $400 already excluding installation. I wish I have this pickup on one of my guitars. You'll find that it'll become very handy with a pickup (instead of a mic)
- Sounds great unplugged.

Go for it Rombuss. This guitar won't grow out of you for 5, 10 years.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 20:04:08

[Deleted] (in reply to DavidT

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 20:25:52

Zorro02

Have a look at Joan Cashimira web site, Alicante region. I had the model 105. In my opinion it is well worth consideration. Don't know how much shipping will be to U.S, but a very nice guitar, which will not need any adjustments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 20:42:50

Francisco

i would increase the range to about $1500, and get an Hnos Sanchis Lopez as Arash suggested.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 21:44:11

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:55:31
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 21:50:12

Francisco

quote:

But there's quite a big difference between spending $350 and spending $1500.

True, but their initial range went to $1000. If you gonna go up to $1000, might as well invest another $500 and go for HSL or similar. Just my opinion. I have the Yamaha everyone raves about, but i wasn't that crazy about it. Don't get me wrong, it was ok, but I had no idea how much better/easier to play a guitar like my HSL could be. I wouldn't waste the $350+/- on the Yamaha. Just my 2 cents.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 22:08:28

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:55:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2007 22:10:35

Mark2

There was a conde on e-bay a little while ago for 1,000.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2007 0:13:32

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 17:55:07
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2007 0:29:31

HemeolaMan

coincidentally rhombuss.... are you a polygon??? perhaps you should seek out polygonally shaped guitars, might be more comfortable lol.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2007 23:50:33

Rhombuss

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was out of town for a while so I didn't get a chance to check back earlier.

I've been searching on Ebay for a bit, as well. I'm all for getting used instruments, but I'm unfamiliar with the "good" guitar manufacturers. What would you guys suggest in terms of used (or new) instruments that commonly sell on Ebay? I've seen a couple Lucida models that a new, some of which are comparably priced to the Yamaha.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2007 3:47:26

Yojimbo

Hello Everyone

I just found this thread as I find myself in the same position as the OP - I'm looking for a beginner guitar to learn on. I also note that this is an old post (2007) and I'm wondering if there is anything new to add.

I already own a very good flamenco guitar (Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso - 1969 - you may have seen my post on that) so I already have something to graduate to when I can acquire some skill. So I'm really just interested in something reasonable to learn on.

Like the OP, I also live in Toronto if that helps.

Thanks for your attention.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 6:27:25

sean65

quote:

Hello Everyone

I just found this thread as I find myself in the same position as the OP - I'm looking for a beginner guitar to learn on.

No one really mentions above what I'd consider important. Beginners guitar in this price are generally laminated and sound wise all much of a muchness. You're not going to get that nice stinging resonance that you would when spending $£1500.

What's more important is a guitar that's comfortable for you to learn on. You'll be learning a load of new techniques and chords and tunes so you need a guitar that's comfortable for YOU to play and as we're all different the only way you'll find out that is to go out and try them. Don't worry too much about brand names at this stage.

The cheap Yamaha or a Manuel Rodriguez C3F will do fine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 17:19:19

Ramon Amira

Well, if you already own a 1969 Conde, I don't see any reason for you to get some low end factory guitar to learn on. You will learn infinitely better by simply playing the Conde, and save some money to boot.

Cheap guitars are harder to play, they don't respond well, and sometimes you might develop poor habits by learning on a cheap guitar, because you might force things to get the necessary sound and response.

I would recommend that you start right now playing and learning on your Conde.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 17:46:46

Ron.M

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

Well, if you already own a 1969 Conde, I don't see any reason for you to get some low end factory guitar to learn on. You will learn infinitely better by simply playing the Conde, and save some money to boot.

I must admit.... after years on this Forum, this is the first time I have ever heard of somebody with a top end guitar looking for a cheap one to learn on.

Yojimbo, I'll do you a deal ...

I have an old "Giorgio" Brazilian made negra from the early 70's (no Indian rosewood on this one...only the gen thing..)
It's a Classical guitar, pero Flamencada by yours truly.

I'll do you a staight swap.

Here's a sound sample: www.btinternet.com/~flamenco/ronsolporbul.mp3

cheers,

Ron

OK?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 18:28:16

Yojimbo

Hmmmm

The reason I'm looking for a cheap guitar is because I'd like to preserve the good one. I'll be dragging it around town and probably bumping into things (like my music stand) and I'd rather damage the cheaper one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2011 4:11:57

Ramon Amira

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to Yojimbo

quote:

The reason I'm looking for a cheap guitar is because I'd like to preserve the good one. I'll be dragging it around town and probably bumping into things (like my music stand) and I'd rather damage the cheaper one.

That's a good reason. I sure wouldn't go knocking around with a 1969 Conde unless it was for a performance. But that's not what you originally stated as your purpose. You said you wanted it to learn on until you can "graduate" to the Conde. So I would reiterate that you will be a lot better off learning on and playing the Conde at home.

But sure, get a cheaper guitar for traveling, etc. Under $1000 you might look at an Alhambra 3F, a Cordoba F7, or a Cordoba 45FM. If you can get one in Canada, try for a Navarro student model.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2011 6:26:41

kozz

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to Yojimbo

quote:

Good reason.
Why not by a reasonably priced good guitar to take along?
To me its the sound of guitar that amuses me.

It's like a concert pianist playing on a casio keyboard.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2011 16:31:03

ralexander

If you want a solid wood guitar, I think it's near impossible to beat Jeff Sigurdson's work in the $1000-1500 range. Lots of positive reviews to be found right here on the Foro.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2011 3:01:57

Ramon Amira

RE: Recommendations for Beginner Guitar? (in reply to ralexander

quote:

If you want a solid wood guitar, I think it's near impossible to beat Jeff Sigurdson's work in the $1000-1500 range. Lots of positive reviews to be found right here on the Foro.

I'll second that. Had a long talk recently with Jeff, and he is very knowledgeable. I haven't had a chance to play one of his guitars yet, but I have heard nothing but great comments on his work, here and on other forums as well.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2011 3:19:29
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll