Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco de Lucia guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Yes

Paco de Lucia guitars 

Does anyone have any experience with Paco de Lucia's signature guitars? Especially the less expensive Nemesia and Siroco models? Should I buy one?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 20:34:13

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to Yes

Yes,
I don't know.
Like...I don't know anything about Electric Guitars...
Can you get an Eric Clapton or Van Halen signed beginners/intermediate model?
They must surely be better than any other Electric Guitar in the price range...

Like the George Foreman signed grill is the best you can buy if you want to stay healthy..

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 21:09:06

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 18:06:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 23:15:55

koella

This is a funny thread.

It's quite simple :
You saved money to buy a good guitar.
Now you're planning to spend a part of it to buy Paco's signature.

Seems not very logic to me.

I'm sure you saved it to buy a guitar. Get real.

socrates: to be is to do
sartre: to do is to be
sinatra: do-be-do-be-do
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 23:25:55

falsetanuova

Although I have not played either of these 2 models within the Paco de Lucia range, I have played others.

They are fantastic instruments. Highly recommended. Instead of posting meaningless forum banter, I suggest people respond with what they *know* and not what they speculate.

There is quite enough nonsense online, thanks...

Where although it may seem strange the idea of a player on an instrument, I have gotten past it. it would appear vain, or similar in frame of mind as what has been posted above, etc. But I suggest playing one prior to making the obvious comments....

Paco certainly doesn't need the money.

I recall reading within an interview with him at his home in Mexico recently this "signature" series. He stated too, " I certainly am not doing it for the money....I feel I can bring something special and different to the instrument."

He is doing it with his brother. They apparently oversee the instruments themselves, or rather, his brother visits momnthly (so I read) to check quality etc.

Above all, I *do* know that the instruments are made by luthier Vicente Carrillo, a very well respected luthier who makes impeccable instruments.

Aesthetically and in terms of sound qualities. He above all shines in his Flamenco work. The interior of an instrument is just as important as the exterior. His instruments are very well made and his prices are rising due to his recognition in this regard.

As they are made be Carrillo, well, they can place "Mickey Mouse" on the label if the sound and quality of the instrument are there.

Asking "should I buy one?" is a foolish question.

I suggest, as anyone should, you play them and forget all names. Choose what sounds best to *you*.

If you don't have experience, have your teacher choose for you. Post what you find and choose.

Best wishes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 23:26:01

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 18:05:42
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 23:45:15

Ailsa

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to falsetanuova

quote:

ORIGINAL: falsetanuova
Instead of posting meaningless forum banter

Gosh falsetanuova that's quite harsh isn't it? From someone who joined the Foro about a week ago and has only made three posts! I'm still pretty new myself - only a few months, but I think the Foro is here for everyone who loves flamenco. Some of us also like to be serious all the time, and some like to banter and joke, sometimes off topic. It's all allowed as long as we are not being abusive.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2007 23:56:34

n85ae

They're made by Vincente Carrillo, a friend of mine has one and loves the
guitar almost more than his wife ...

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 0:32:39

HemeolaMan

alrighty mr. world-traveler-expatriate falsetanuova, you're overlooking the obvious problem here: where the hell do you find a pdl guitar to try out? look at his forum handle : Yes. do ya think maybe he's a fan of the band yes and new to this whole flamenco thing? you think maybe he lives in america, where flamenco guitars are about as easy to find as honest politicians?

perhaps instead of
quote:

Asking "should I buy one?" is a foolish question.
you should take into account how foolish it is to waltz in here guns ablazing and insult some of the most knowledgable people around. not only that, you also insulted Yes for asking an honest question.

you and I are both new here. I suggest you keep your head down. A little respect for the honest opinions of others wouldn't hurt.

quote:

They are fantastic instruments. Highly recommended. Instead of posting meaningless forum banter, I suggest people respond with what they *know* and not what they speculate.
and you know alll about vicente carrillo, you go way back, best buddies since the womb. yep, you've played hundreds of his guitars, all of them gems. not an ounce of speculation here, all solid fact based on real first hand account.

lMan, if he didnt want people's opinions about which guitar to buy, he wouldn't have asked. there's probably not a whole lot of pdl guitars owned by foro members out there. and since when did the opinion of a long time guitar player, and adamant pursuer of flamenco become entirely speculation?

if you don't like banter, tough cookies mate. you'd better try another foro.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 0:42:36

TANúñez

quote:

Although I have not played either of these 2 models within the Paco de Lucia range, I have played others.

They are fantastic instruments. Highly recommended.

Wait a minute. I'm confussed. If you haven't played these two models, how can you highly recommend them? Or do you mean you recommend the other models from the PdL line?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 3:11:09

TANúñez

quote:

Does anyone have any experience with Paco de Lucia's signature guitars? Especially the less expensive Nemesia and Siroco models? Should I buy one?

Yes,

I sell the Siroco so I can tell you that it is a pretty good guitar for the money. However, for me personally, I would probably buy another guitar over this one in this price range. There are just a few others I like better. If your in a place where you don't have a good selection, you'd probably be happy with the Siroco. You could do far worse.

Vicente Carrillo DOES NOT build either of these two models. He builds the Paco de Lucia 1a and 2a models only.

No one can tell you, that you should or shouldn't buy one. Research and if possible, play as many different ones as you can. If your not anywhere where you can test some out, be sure the dealer you buy from gives you a trial period.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 3:18:01

Ailsa

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HemeolaMan

america, where flamenco guitars are about as easy to find as honest politicians?

Aw don't be so hard on your country HMan - it's not just America where politics is riddled with spin doctors.
quote:

you and I are both new here. I suggest you keep your head down. A little respect for the honest opinions of others wouldn't hurt.

Hell man you say it like it is!!

@falsetnuova. Everyone is welcome here. We have some really knowledgeable and helpful people on the Foro, top guitarists, teachers and luthiers, who share their knowledge with us for free. But it doesn't mean we can't have a little banter. My guitar teacher makes me laugh sometimes (in between the gruelling practice) and I think that helps - lessons are fun and I look forward to them (and sigh with relief once they are over).

Did you know that when you smile you release hormones that make you feel better? Smiling is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trust me - I'm a psychologist.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 9:33:56

Taranto

quote:

Vincente Carrillo

I see his 1a guitars being sold everywhere. He also makes guitars for Paco? How many hands does this guy have?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 11:20:22

Ron.M

quote:

Paco certainly doesn't need the money.

Neither does Bill Gates.

Seriously Falsetanuova.....I know Carrillo is a good maker.
I wasn't putting either of the guitars down as I haven't tried them.

I'm just naturally suspicious of "endorsed" products and the motives for endorsement.
If anything, endorsement puts me off a product rather than attracting me.

I believe you can buy Uri Geller crystals.
Each crystal comes along with a certificate guaranteeing that he has held and charged it with some of his special powers, so they gotta be good 'uns!

BTW... Speaking for myself, I didn't find anything harsh or impertinent about your post.
As far as I'm concerned, you are just stating your views like everybody else here.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 12:13:56

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to koella

Hola

("It's quite simple :You saved money to buy a good guitar.
Now you're planning to spend a part of it to buy Paco's signature.")

When these guitars were presented in Sevilla, I spent part of an afternoon with Ramon de Algeciras trying the whole range. They are good, well made guitars and can be bought with confidence.

However I did not feel moved to buy one: in my opinion, Ricardo Sanchis e Hijos offer guitars which I prefer for less money.

However, opiniones are only opinions: there is no substitute for trying first, everybody has a different point of view.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 13:15:39

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

Vicente Carrillo DOES NOT build either of these two models. He builds the Paco de Lucia 1a and 2a models only.

Hi Tom,
Just to try to put a $ price on endorsement, let's assume you bought in 2 Siroco Blancas which you normally retail at $1995.
Although both guitars were well-made and sounded fine, alas only one had the PdL signature, while the other had only the name of the actual maker.
Would you have to discount the "unsigned" one?
And by how much do you reckon?...$50?....$100?....more?

@Yes,

If you are living in the US....
Have you given Tom a call at LaFalseta?
He's got years of experience with all kinds of makes and models of Flamenco Guitars and can offer great advice if you're not in a position to actually try out some guitars and can only deal by mail.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 14:48:01

[Deleted] (in reply to Ailsa

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 14:50:15

koella

Ailsa and hemeola thanks for standing up for me.
It feels all warm inside now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 17:28:02

koella

My comment was not to question the quality of the paco guitar. But the price you have to pay for a good guitar AND the Paco label.

In other words: buy the guitar if you like it. But try to find one without Paco's signature.
Because, as the NewFalseta said : Paco doesn't need the money.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a carillo guitar if mickey mouse was on it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 17:53:53

koella

See Ailsa what I mean with bad reading, or is it me ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 17:55:24

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 18:04:44
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 19:22:02

koella

Oh my God, all those things I told her in PM's.
She can see right through me now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 20:41:36

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

Seriously? Wow Ailsa... when you said you worked in the health sector I thought you meant you were a NURSE!!!

Gawd, that just shows up my way of thinking!

Bash,
That's what you get for watching too many "Carry On" films...

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 20:42:34

Ron.M

quote:

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a carillo guitar if mickey mouse was on it.

In the 50's you used to be able to buy a cheap plywood guitar with a transfer of Elvis's face and a signature on it.
Too bad it only had 4 strings..

In the 60's you could buy a pink plastic guitar with the transfers of John, George, Paul and Ringo plus signatures underneath each transfer.

Those too had 4 strings.

I'm not knocking them though, since I didn't try 'em.

(What's this thing about the commercial world and 4 string guitars..eh? )

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 21:05:36

koella

I think the value of the pink guitar will be determined by the beatles-transfer.
This also goes for the mickey mouse Carillo. But then the otherway around of course.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2007 21:50:59

Ailsa

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN
when you said you worked in the health sector I thought you meant you were a NURSE!!!

OMG I so hate it when people assume that any woman working in health must be a nurse. Just cos we have that tender loving touch doesn't mean we can't be brain surgeons too.

So Bash, let's have a look at this assumption. I think you might be right that it's connected with feelings about mothering. Tell me some more about that.

Actually I started a new job earlier this year, and I'm not doing any direct patient contact at the moment. Which is why I have to practice on you guys.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2007 9:02:22

Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: koella

Oh my God, all those things I told her in PM's.
She can see right through me now.

Yep.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2007 9:04:00

Doitsujin

I saw Nino Josele and Pedro Sierra also play sometimes a paco guitar. Me too have one. And its really great. The measure is a bit different to conde. Its all a bit closer. Well, for me thats good coz my picado works better on the paco-guitar than on conde coz Im not very familar with the conder size. Also the paco guitar has a unique tone.
Well.. if anybody is thinking on buying one. I would buy a good one. So no "beginner"-model. Its like the conde estudios..

I also had one. All the stringsettings and soundboard high was bad. The strings allways hit the soundboard but the strings already were very far away from the guitar in soundboardarea. So it was not possible to make it higher. It would have become a classic style guitar. Its was crap from the beginning to the end. So.. dont save your money at the false place.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2007 11:47:50

Ricardo

RE: Paco de Lucia guitars (in reply to Guest

quote:

When these guitars were presented in Sevilla, I spent part of an afternoon with Ramon de Algeciras trying the whole range. They are good, well made guitars and can be bought with confidence.

However I did not feel moved to buy one: in my opinion, Ricardo Sanchis e Hijos offer guitars which I prefer for less money.

I second this statement. Paco guitar is not bad at all, no need to put it down BECAUSE of the lable. Likewise, Sanchis is better at the same price, but not EVERY guitar for sure, you need to try. I will vouch for Siroco and the top model negra, two that I spent some time with. I can't remember all the models and which ones I have tried, but those two would be worth the price from what I remembered.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2007 15:44:19

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 18:05:20
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2007 19:27:42
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages