Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

no practising...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

koella

no practising... 

Today I must admit that I haven't studied flamenco since summer vacation.
Somehow motivation disapeared with all the house painting, loosing nails, stiff fingers etc.
And it's hard to get it back.

I even got the old steel string out of it's case and tried some John Renbourn. But it was like typing on a fakir matress.

And then I studied that Larry Graham youtube thing : "the pow". But when I had it in the right tempo, it only left a big questionmark above my head: is this it ?

So, friends, all I can say is:

HELP, HELP !!!

( presses his nose against the screen, while his eyes pop out and his tongue trembles in a funny though rhythmic way )

socrates: to be is to do
sartre: to do is to be
sinatra: do-be-do-be-do
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 21:43:36

cneberg

RE: no practising... (in reply to koella

quote:

I even got the old steel string out of it's case and tried some John Renbourn. But it was like typing on a fakir matress.

I do that too, when nothing goes right. Unfortunatelly I feel even worse then...

I don't play much either and next week I'm going to Sicily. So I won't be playing guitar for two weeks. I'll take charango with me, just to screw up my technique even more....

Hope that makes you feel better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 21:51:21

koella

Thanks.
But no, it doesn't.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 21:55:03

Ron.M

quote:

Somehow motivation disapeared with all the house painting, loosing nails, stiff fingers etc.
And it's hard to get it back.

Yup....I'll second that Koella!

I tried today to play the simplest thing I know and my hands felt like F..ing lead.

Things never stay the same...so you'll be back!

cheers,

Ron

PS: I Didn't know you were a John Renbourne fan?
My whole interest in guitar started with Bert Jansch/John Renbourne.

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:05:59

duende

i´ve been playing some stevie ray vaughan style blues lately, i´ve also done some flamenco but i think it´s healty for ithe passion and creation to stay away from it from time to time.

but in general i´ve been playing 80% electric guitar last 2 months. mainly because i got a lot of new students that are electric players and not acoustik.

..but im getting back into flamenco more and more now. starting to compose a Farruca and getting into tanguillos.

workingout, doing yoga,drinking whiskey, smoking cigarrs is also good to get motivation back for me anyway

what was the question again?? ..

H

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:11:23

Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: koella
( presses his nose against the screen, while his eyes pop out and his tongue trembles in a funny though rhythmic way )

Wow have you got a picture of that? Sounds amazing!

Seriously, I know how well you can play flamenco because I have two of your uploads on my MP3 player and listen to them most days - a Guajiras and a Tangos. I guess if you feel your playing atm is not as good as it has been in the past that must be very dispiriting, but you won't have lost that forever. It's just a blip.

Perhaps you need a project to work towards, but a realistic one, so that it doesn't just put pressure on you. Is there something you would like to achieve? A particular palo you would like to play? Don't give up koella!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:33:04

Florian

RE: no practising... (in reply to duende

quote:

HELP, HELP !!!

HAHA thats funny

I think it happens to everyone, expecially when you are working alot and dont have the energy to practice or when you do pick up the guitar you sound like crap.

fortunately because theres always a gig coming up and classes weather i am inspired or not or like how i sound or not i have to keep practicing, thats good and bad but good in the long run.

normally something happens to bring my inspiration back, a video someone posts, a dvd, a cd, a criticism, a undeserved compliment (and you try really hard to make it real) or just the fear of humiliating myself in front of people or in this case a dancer from madrid who is coming to give a workshop soon....shes cute.

I am positive something will happen for you too to bring it all back koella

And i say this beeing very uninspired atm, i just do exercises all night cause i hate my playing atm and the guitar and old strings dont help either, not the best of times to be uninspired since about 4 gigs are coming up starting this weekend.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:33:24

Gummy

RE: no practising... (in reply to Florian

Hey man, what's the lates "Florange" update anyway?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:40:09

koella

Thank you all guys for the cute words.
I can't do anything with it this moment, but I didn't plan to give up. Just a major dip.
I guess a new palo may be a good idea. something really depressing. Maybe Tarantas ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:41:54

Florian

RE: no practising... (in reply to Gummy

I am very near having all the money togheder.

almost there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:42:36

John O.

RE: no practising... (in reply to Florian

Koella you might hate me for saying this, but at the moment I have so much flamenco going on next to my job I'm constantly worried about not being prepared for gigs and can't work on anything really fun or creative. I guess this is what I wanted, but really only if I can get a job that doesn't take 10 hours out of my day so I have more time for practising technique and being creative.

You'll be back on the flamenco guitar though. The fact you're worrying about losing it shows you couldn't give it up

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:52:18

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 21:49:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 22:53:34

Florian

RE: no practising... (in reply to val

quote:

If Flamenco's becoming a a drudge and takes you away from more pleasurable things, then don't do it. It's not the end of the world. Take your pleasures where you find them.

I see what you are saying and agree for the most part but playing flamenco guitar is sometimes lovely and many times ugly, depressing, stressfull, scarey, feel hopeless, all roled into one, if one was to give up because its not always pleasurable might as well not start.

quote:

is all to do with passing time. That's what we do isn't it?

I cant speak for other people but that is probably the worst reason to do anything, expecially something as difficult as flamenco guitar, infact i hate the fact the time is passing, i wish my days had 40 hours so i could learn more.
I got no fake illusions or unrealistic expectations but theres no point in doing anything if i am not gonna try to be the best i can at it.

everything you are serious about getting good at eventualy becomes more than a hobby.

Dont get me wrong, its not all allways stress, i love flamenco.... but its not allways rainbow and flowers either.
but even when i hate it i love it, sometimes i wanna stick a fork in its eyes or push it out of the window in front of a car......but i love it

but i wouldnt tell anyone to force themselfs to play if they are not inspired, just as long as they are aware that its not going to be pleasurable everysingle day, sometimes u get really ugly days, as long as they dont have unrealistic expectations.

i dont know, mibe thats why we always have so many beginner guitarists come and go trough here, same with dancers in dance schools100 will start at the start of a simester and there will be 20 left by the end, and mibe if you lucky 1 in 2 years time.
I and a few other members here have had to make friends allover again with about 4 different sets of flamenco foro members ( not saying that all the guitarists who arent here anymore quit but some of them must have ), its inconviniant for me cause i keep having to start from start and get them used to my sense of houmor so that i dont offend anyone kidding around.

I dont know, i dont have all the answers but just because you dont like soup does that mean you should stop eating it ?? ofcourse not...theres kids in Africa.. starving !!! grow up ! we dont always get to do what we want

Koella pick up the fu*ing guitar you spoiled litlle brat !! theres kids in africa STARVING !!!
i think i am starting to talk sh*t now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2007 23:04:13

[Deleted] (in reply to koella

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 0:45:36

guitarbuddha

I always like to start with a really simple tune when I have been away from the guitar for a while. So not a whole arrangement, nothing fast fancy or difficult.

When I focus hard on the tune until I think that I really know how I want to play it my fingers can usualy deliver somethng which I approve of. Then I bring in the rest of the arrangement one element or even one note at a time.

This is all good for the soul and kind of coaxes the technique out rather than demanding that it apear fully fledged after a long sleep.

It always comes back and it always comes back better.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 0:56:19

Stu

RE: no practising... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Smoking a little reefer before practicing is never a bad choice.

That usually hinders my practice, like right now, guitar in my lap but seem to have ended up on the foro
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 1:47:49

HemeolaMan

well, if you need to take some time out and get all introspective and stuff.... Here's how you get yourself some quality "me time" and get some practice

Eat one stick of butter

Sip 10 deciliter of olive oil

go to white castle or equivalent burger joint, eat some

black beans or pinto

louisiana hot sauce, straight

and maybe some shortening

after that, you should have plenty of time to play guitar whilst you while away the day sittin on the crapper.

I'm sure flo would agree.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 2:10:40

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 2:30:14

HemeolaMan

RE: no practising... (in reply to Guest

put crisco on the walls. I have bigger bathrooms i guess.

Maybe you could turn sideways, i mean, it'd be terrible for your accuracy, and after a while you'd have to get a mop or sometin.

You might be able to get a 45-60 degree tolerance on your rotation, i would say.
Here's a diagram of bathroom guitar playing rotational ranges:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 2:57:59

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 3:02:06

Florian

HAHAHAA HemeolaMan.. you stop at nothing to get a lough, you are shamless ...i love that

quote:

put crisco on the walls. I have bigger bathrooms i guess

i wish you could see the proud look on my face right now where did you learn to be this funny from me ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 5:53:44

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 21:50:13
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 12:27:45

Florian

quote:

My views are probably something to do with being older. I've been into Flamenco for years, but life does tend to get in the way - time passes. I've done all the things that have to be done

Ok, now i see where you are coming from and your comments make alot more sence to me.

fair enough Val

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 13:06:30

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 21:49:09
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 13:34:26

Florian

dont i know it

i work in a factory during the day and practice at night, my figer nails are black and my hands sore from lifting and moving heavy things all day, i have to have a nap after work so that i have the energy to pick up the guitar. (wich is a crapy guitar that dosent inspire me to play at all, so i never sound good either) then i got to pick myself up and go and play next to guitarists who are playing 6000 guitars because i said yes to some gigs cause i needed more money.
amongst all this i have to some how manage to find a litlle bit of self confidence and self belif from somewhere to get up and play in front of people.

gigs are fine cause the guitars have microphones, just finding the motivation to prepare for it and going to rehersal its a drag sometimes.

things are tough sometimes, but u got to do what you got to do, and never lose sight of the big picture and remember what goal u are working towards.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 13:49:05

Ron.M

RE: no practising... (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

You might be able to get a 45-60 degree tolerance on your rotation, i would say.
Here's a diagram of bathroom guitar playing rotational ranges:

That's brilliant!

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 14:40:43

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 15:25:16

Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shroomy726
I have actually tried to play in the bathroom and play in a 45 degree rotated position

OK Shroomy tmi - I've got this picture in my head now...

On the other hand I wanna give you credit for multitasking - why do one thing at a time when you can do two. Pack more into life.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 15:30:17

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: koella

Thank you all guys for the cute words.
I can't do anything with it this moment, but I didn't plan to give up. Just a major dip.
I guess a new palo may be a good idea. something really depressing. Maybe Tarantas ?

Taranta might help. But if all else fails there is always...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 15:49:21

koella

Thanks for the advice Ricardo.
I'll think about it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2007 15:59:42
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to: