Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Right hand position?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Zorro02

Right hand position? 

Hi all,

I seem to be having great difficulty in obtaining the correct right hand position whilst practicing picado. My arm, whilst playing bass strings, is not rested on the body, it is as if my arms are too long. When switching from arpeggios to picado is there a change in hand position or is the movement fluent. I have sat in front of a mirror and tried to anaylise, but as soon as my arm makes contact with the guitar body I feel tension in my wrist and the position feels unnatural.

Has any body got any video clips to demonstrate the correct method?

Thanks, and I hope that makes sense

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2007 20:26:09

wiseguy493

RE: Right hand position? (in reply to Zorro02

Well I don't know how formally correct it is, but when I play picado I arch the hand, resting and anchoring the hand using the thumb on the lower strings, the edge of the sound hole, or on the body above the sound hole. Playing bass melodies with the thumb apoyando above the picado can be tricky but I find that my hand has learned to balance better with practice.

When playing picado melodies in the bass and no longer needing the thumb, I rest my thumb on the edge of the sound hole and that position lends itself easily to picado melodies punctuated by rasgueado especially when the rasgueado uses the index-downstroke and golpe which has always been kind of an awkward motion for me
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2007 20:41:02

gato

RE: Right hand position? (in reply to Zorro02

Sounds good.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2007 6:21:22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread