Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Pick me up!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Guest

so...who wants to talk about guitar strings?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 14:05:41

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Francisco

quote:

good timing? you decide...

Ha...!
Funny how the monkey with the open eyes has the closed toes, spoookie!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 20:40:52

Georg

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Guest

I have sent you a PM.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 22:21:59

RobJe

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Jim Opfer

My opinion – don’t do it!

There are 3 issues to consider in challenging sound contexts.
1. The quality of signal that you capture in the first place, pre-amplification and fx.
2. amplification and transmission of the signal (your own or using the in-house system)
3. How much control you have over what is going on
I have never had any real problems about capturing a good signal. I usually use old dynamic Beyer M69s or Beyer M1000s with a hypercardiod pattern.. They have worked well in small (studio theatre, restaurant) to fairly large (indoor sports arena) locations and outdoors. Positioning is vital and some means of controlling feedback and reducing bass frequency caused by the proximity effect when the mic is very close to the guitar is also desirable. A bit of Fx is handy. I can see the attraction of ‘plug and go’ because you don’t have to be so careful about positioning but I can manage without sticking stuff on my guitar – I have only just accepted machine heads as an acceptable part of a guitar!
In house amplification and transmission if it exists should be good enough (but isn’t always). Ideally it should have been installed to take account of local problems. If you turn up with your own gear and say a couple of speakers you might find it difficult to position them for coverage of the audience (especially the base frequencies).
In my experience, control is the biggest problem. Turning up in a restaurant with a couple of dancers and hooking your preamp up to an in-house system when someone has altered all your careful settings to play some CDs or make an announcement can be a nightmare. Such gigs don’t pay for a travelling sound engineer! Last week I had to borrow a couple of radio mics because the dancing area had no power supply close and someone over the other side of the restaurant wiped me out totally by fiddling with the controls. This is the area to work on – don’t play until you have really checked out the settings – warn people against fiddling with the controls!
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2007 14:01:16

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to RobJe

Thanks RobJe, it is a minefield full of unknowns.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2007 18:48:19
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post