Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Pick me up!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jim Opfer

Pick me up! 

I was about to drill a hole in my guitar to fit a transducer then I thought better not.
Can anyone recommend a good playing but inexpensive giging guitar thats already wired up with one of those frequency control things on top?

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 20:30:22

guitardode

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Jim Opfer

HI JIM
HEARD YOUR RECENT PLAYING REALLY THINK MIKED AMP IS BETTER FOR YOUR SOUND HEARD OTHER GUITARS WITH THESE SYSTEMS BUT REALLY AINT AS GOOD AS THE MIKE YOUR EXCELLENT GUITAR ALSO REALLY SHINE S THROUGH
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 20:42:09

Ron.M

I'd agree Jim,
I heard you play in Dundee, but you were too far away from the mic for it to sound right.
You've got a great tone already, you just need to mic it up right IMO.

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 21:50:25

Jim i hope u wernt thinking of drilling a hole in that guitar you used in your fandangos upload on youtube (really nice fandangos btw), that was possibly the nicest sounding guitar i have ever heard, i want one
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 23:46:59

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Guest

Hi Dominic,
No! not that one she's a Reyes and very very nice.
It was going to be Valbuena's for the dental work but I've decided not to.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 0:18:40

Zorro02

Hi Jim,

I do not understand this foro sometimes. You started a thread with more or less the same question several days ago. I responded as did others. Musicmaker even suggested a guitar that answers your question in this thread.

Is this an example of the elitism that less active members have been talking about? Ok, we may not all be as experienced as certain members including yourself but is it really etiquette to ignore other members suggestions and start a new thread with the same question. I and others took the time to attempt to offer you advice, obviously that advice in your eyes was of little value.

Experienced members do not ignore us, I for one can take constuctive critisism and if my attempt to answer your question appears naive please tell me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 9:43:38

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Zorro02

quote:

Hi Jim,

I do not understand this foro sometimes. You started a thread with more or less the same question several days ago. I responded as did others. Musicmaker even suggested a guitar that answers your question in this thread.

Is this an example of the elitism that less active members have been talking about? Ok, we may not all be as experienced as certain members including yourself but is it really etiquette to ignore other members suggestions and start a new thread with the same question. I and others took the time to attempt to offer you advice, obviously that advice in your eyes was of little value.

Experienced members do not ignore us, I for one can take constuctive critisism and if my attempt to answer your question appears naive please tell me.

Zorro02,
That's my fault for not reading earlier threads. I don't always keep up to date with all that's going on and was totally oblivious to what must have been discussed before. I'll find the earlier post and gladly take your advice.
Sorry mi amigo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 13:55:17

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Zorro02

Zorro02,

If it's my earlier thread 'Built in amp help!' which you gave a good reply to, then you missread this thread. Taking everyones advice, I decided against putting holes in my guitar and am now seeking recommendations for a reasonable guitar that comes with a built in system.

I'll look see if there's an earlier thread.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 14:01:57

Zorro02

Ok, Jim

Just had to get that off my chest, I wasn't having a go at you personally.

Good luck in finding the guitar you are looking for.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 14:31:54

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Opfer
Taking everyone's advice, I decided against putting holes in my guitar and am now seeking recommendations for a reasonable guitar that comes with a built in system.

What advice are you referring to Jim? Why have you ruled out a pickup installation? Granted you wouldn't want to touch a Reyes as it would affect the resale value and most people don't gig with their best guitar anyway, but don't you have a much cheaper guitar you can get fitted, that's the option I went with.

What are you plugging into? a good sound depends just as much upon your amp/PA as it does on the pick up system you use.

And you haven't mentioned your budget for all this...

PS I hope you weren't thinking of doing the installation yourself!

PPS There are pick up systems out there that do not require drilling:

http://www.freshmanguitars.co.uk/products.asp?ID=126
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/pickups.htm (model 40)

There are a few flamenco guitars out there with pick up systems fitted, but I am not convinced its your best option. They tend to be cheaper guitars (like the Yamaha) with OK systems, whereas you could have a really good guitar (one of your own) with a state of the art system.

I know lots of people say you have to use a mic, blah blah and in a hushed theatre that's all wel land good but play in a huge noisy restaurant/bar and its a different ball game.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 15:58:56

Hola Jim

A short time ago I bought a slimline Veracruz with Fishman pickup for 300 euros. For what it offers it is incredibly good, though with little acoustic sound.

With a good guitar, your best bet is a small clipon condenser mic in the soundhole, through a voice PA with most of the bass rolled off. It can be a cheapie, a Shure, or better. Any will work. This gives a true acoustic sound at good volume with little problem of feedback. If it worked for my Gerundino it will work for your Reyes.

Suerte

Sean

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:01:13

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Jon Boyes

Hi Jon,

Yip! all you say is in line with where I started from. The big noisy restaurant gig is exactly where my problem lies. I have a Rhode mic and an AER acoustic amp. Great for quiet venues but not brass enough for noisy gigs.

So, I'm interested to find out what the options are for mic up on my Valbuena guitar that was not too expensive and has a terrific sound.

I'm handy with a drill and was ready to get about it at the weekend to fit a transducer plate under the soundboard with a 'thingie' fitted through the centre seem but then thought, hold it! check things out first.

I'll check out your links later on. Haven't really thought about budget just more a case of knowing where to start so I need your help.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:34:57

Jim Opfer

Hi Sean,

Can you let me know the details on your condenser mic/set-up etc.
That would be terrif.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:36:34

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Opfer
I'm handy with a drill and was ready to get about it at the weekend to fit a transducer plate under the soundboard with a 'thingie' fitted through the centre seem

Jim, don't go there. Fitting a pick up system is a pros job. The very fact that you are talking about thingies and 'frequency control things' rings alarm bells.

It doesn't matter if you are handy with a drill, there are lots of little details involved that only come with experience, and you don't want to screw things up. When I had my pick up system fitted I had a long discussion with the luthier about it and discovered lots of things I hadn't considered. One example is in the other thread - fitting a UST should not affect the action, its the luthiers job to compensate for that.

A clip on condenser mic doesn't get you anywhere Jim. A mic is a mic. The fact that it clips on doesn't make it any louder and you will still run into feedback in the environment we are discussing. More so, actually, the soundhole is the worst place for getting feedback. A clip on mic would be OK in your quieter venues.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:55:30

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Jon Boyes

quote:

The very fact that you are talking about thingies and 'frequency control things' rings alarm bells.

Ha..!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 20:32:16

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:54:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 23:28:24

Jon Boyes

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:55:26
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 10:47:01

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:56:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 11:21:14

Jon Boyes

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:58:48
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 11:43:24

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:56:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 11:50:05

Jon Boyes

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:59:13
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 12:20:20

Georg

Jim,
perhaps you want to have a look at:

http://www.flamenco-shop.de/product_info.php?info=p33_Mikrofon-fuer-die-akkustische-Konzertgitarre.html

If you want, I can translate it for you. It's a review from "Anda" a well known magazine for flamenco in Germany. The advantage is, you can put it on the guitar you like without drilling.

Greets
Georg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 12:23:17

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:56:58
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 12:24:49

Jon Boyes

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 13:59:34
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 12:27:30

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 3 2007 14:00:28
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 12:38:51

Jim Opfer

Dominic,
I'm sorry my question has resulted in this.
Jon is offering his best advice and I appreciate that.

Background:
I had a situation saturday before last where I played in a pub/restraunt here in glasgow called Tiger Tiger. Huge place with (I was told) 1,500 people wondering about. It was a private corporate function and there was a lot of noise.
My group had two dancers (one from Granada) two percussionists (one from Madrid) a singer from Cadiz and Andy Robinson (Superb young Scottish classical/flamenco guitarist - I mean SUPERB). The point is there was one heck of a din from them and around me.
I have a Rode mic and a nice AER 40w amp but - zero in that situation, so I start playing harder and harder. We were on from 7.45 till 11pm, no problem filling the time as we were all doing bits and pieces taking our share but at the end of the stint my right hand was louping!

So this is where my question comes in:
At one point during the gig, I'm playing Tangos for one of the dancers but I start up and she can't hear me properly, Andy hands me his guitar and the difference was night and day, turned out he had his guitar ( 2nd or 3rd guitar - Bernal) fitted a few days bearlier with a mic and jack point and he was 'plugged in' to his amp. Brilliant, loud and clear if not the best sound quality.
So I go to get the same done to mine but on the day, Andy advises against because he's had problems. Turns out he took his system out (had it in there for about 1 week) and he's now got a pair of transducers fitted inside that he's happy with (for that type of gig). So I'm left wondering what to do?

Jon - understands this problem and I'll take Jon's advice and pursue this till I find something that works with reasonable success.

I totally agree that sound engineers are unsung heros, I've had a few memorable gigs (Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow sticks out) where the sound was exquisit, wow! makes you feel relaxed and easy on stage, pressure right off and you enjoy listening to your guitar sing. Other times the sounds crap and it's torture.

'Horses for courses' as they say.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 13:13:13

Jim Opfer

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Georg

GuxDiBux,

That looks like the answer. Never seen that before. Yes! please, I would like to read a translation and hear what it does.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 13:16:15

Francisco

good timing? you decide...

...sorry Jim. I say stick with mics, but I don't gig, so what do I know?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 13:21:23

TANúñez

quote:

I'm sorry my question has resulted in this.

Jim what are you talking about. This has been some of the best reading I've done in a long time. I woke up this morning feeling like I still hadn't gone to sleep. All sluggish and dragging my @$$. This thread woke me up!

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 13:45:04

RE: Pick me up! (in reply to Francisco

good one samwise, there nothing like a well placed monkey picture to loosen up the mood a little.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2007 13:48:48
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post