Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Outrage at Glasgow Airport   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Outrage at Glasgow Airport 

Yesterday, in a protest to the ban on smoking in enclosed public areas in England which comes into force today, two men of Asian appearance drove a burning Cherokee Jeep, containing Liquid Gas cannisters through the front doors of Glasgow Airport and threw petrol bombs out of the window.

The Education Secretary is now under pressure to improve Geography teaching in Scottish schools.

Seriously though, this really is bad news.
Thankfully nobody was injured, but it really is bad news for the thousands of honest and decent Asian people here who just want to live a happy and peaceful life here and watch their families grow up.

We've never had a Terrorist attack here in Scotland, not even when the IRA were active, so this really is significant to the Scottish phsyche.

Maybe like 9/11 ...we were virgins to that kinda stuff.

Scotland has always been a "live and let live" kinda place, but I fear that this sort of stuff from just two fanatical idiots could upset that trust.

I really would like to see a protest march from "ordinary" Muslims in the UK to demonstrate their distaste to these extremists.

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 16:25:04

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 16:32:29

Kate

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
We've never had a Terrorist attack here in Scotland, not even when the IRA were active, so this really is significant to the Scottish phsyche.

What about Lockerbie ? I was there a few years back for my cousins wedding. They are never going to forget it. There are still scarred fields and people. The village has a high rate of alcoholism and suicide. The bodies were left lying there for days. 8 seconds after the explosion, wreckage had a 1-nautical-mile (2 km) spread. A minute later, the wing section containing 200,000 lb (91,000 kg) of fuel hit the ground at Sherwood Crescent, Lockerbie. The British Geological Survey at Eskdalemuir, just outside Lockerbie, registered a seismic event measuring 1.6 on the Richter scale as all trace of two families, several houses, and the 196 ft (60 m) wing of the aircraft disappeared.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 16:44:41

JDiaz

Yes, it is a shame! The car bombs they found in London could have exloded if it weren't for the watchful eye of some random people... thankfully they found them in time! I still don't really understand why these extremists have such a hatred toward innocent people and have the intent of causing so much terror in the world!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 17:22:30

Ron.M

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Kate

quote:

What about Lockerbie ?

With respect, Kate.. it wasn't a terrorist act actually intended to be Scotland., although it was truly a terrible affair.
This one has a different significance IMO.
I mean it was the first day of the school holidays...hard working people were looking forward to a a couple of weeks break in a sunny clime with their families and were turned back and their plans ruined due to these idiots.
This is the first direct attack here in Scotland and I feel the reaction will be against the Asian members of our community.

Can't these idiots realize that we don't actually WANT Sharia Law here?
There are Mosques here and people can follow their Religion in a quiet and peaceful way, the same way everybody else does.

Folk have enough problems to cope with without these fanatical idiots.

This is just fodder for the BNP and helping nothing.

As I said before, the moderate and ordinary law-abiding Asian families here are going to suffer now and will be treated with suspicion due to these fanatics.

Not that the bombers would have had any respect for them in the first place.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 18:18:04

JBASHORUN

Yeah, its sad. I don't think ANYONE really benefits from these acts of violence... they just create more divisions amongst communities. Another case of the few spoiling it for the many, IMO.

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 19:22:39

Escribano

Hard to believe someone could be bothered to put him out with a fire extinguisher, I wouldn't have even p*ssed on him... seriously, I wouldn't.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 19:51:41

Jim Opfer

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Escribano

Imagine yourself there and a vehicle runs into the terminal, huge bang, fire, folk screaming not knowing what happened, two men inside the crashed jeep one pouring fluid over himself from a bottle (trying to put the fire out?) A terrible accident? who would know and how would you react, if at all?

Thing is, this ordinary Glasgow guy who just happened to be there grabs him as he gets out the vehicle and starts to give him a thumping.
That just seemed really strange.

Just like in the Die Hard movies. John...... whatever his character name is, runs around shooting people and beating folk up but in real life we'd stop to think, but this guy just dragged him out and gave him a walloping!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 20:10:24

Ron.M

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Jim Opfer

When my wee girl was about 6 or 7 we went on holiday to London to see the famous places.
On a crowded tube train, a big Afro-Carribean lady was trying to get one of her kids to stop crying by giving him a little bag of sweeties.
When she caught my daughter's eye looking jealously at the sweets, she reached into her bag and said "Here, honey...here's one for you too" and handed a bag to a little white girl.

Things like that make you weep ...the intrinsic and natural humanity we all have for each other...

The fact that maybe 1000 people out of 55 Million are unhappy with life and want to turn the clock back 1000 years is up to them.

But they certainly aren't gonna win any hearts and mind by these kind of actions.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 21:12:41

Ron.M

quote:

Thing is, this ordinary Glasgow guy who just happened to be there grabs him as he gets out the vehicle and starts to give him a thumping.
That just seemed really strange.

Just like in the Die Hard movies. John...... whatever his character name is, runs around shooting people and beating folk up but in real life we'd stop to think, but this guy just dragged him out and gave him a walloping!

Yeah, but Jim. from the eyewitness reports I heard, the driver was reversing and forwarding with his wheels spinning, trying to ram the doors, whilst throwing petrol bombs out of the window.
The guy who jumped out was on fire and trying to pour burning petrol over himself and the car...and then started to punch and kick the policeman and members of the public who were trying to help/restrain him.
Hardly a usual "accident" victim surely, though I get your general point.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2007 21:32:46

Kate

quote:

This one has a different significance IMO.

Point taken Ron, it is different. Do you think it has to do with the fact that Gordon Brown was just made Prime Minister that they chose Scotland ?

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 0:50:17

Jon Boyes

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN
Yeah, its sad. I don't think ANYONE really benefits from these acts of violence... they just create more divisions amongst communities.

That's precisely the intent. The endgame here is Jihad.

Let us hope that our new PM has learned from the mistakes of his predecessor.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 10:56:37

Bogdan1980

Makes you question the Islam ha? A lot of times they say pieceful religion and I actually heard some guy on British TV call mental illness.

Here is US the news said these guys were muslim I think. If it's true this really pissess me off. They live there in the desert and then they gonna come to Europe with their car bombs, and ruin the history, architecture, culture, people's lives. Should we try to keep them out?

There is nothing worse than some idiot thinking he can go to heaven and taking 40 innocent lives. Go in the middle of the desert, film on camera, and blow your a*& to pieces and then let muslim extremist tv channel show it to their own people. Why kill others??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 15:05:07

Jon Boyes

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Bogdan1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogdan1980
Makes you question the Islam ha? A lot of times they say pieceful religion and I actually heard some guy on British TV call mental illness.

Islam is no better or worse than any other organised religion. In the US there are christians that blow up doctors and go on marches promoting violence against gays.

Get real - there are plenty of muslims (the majority) who preach peace and tolerance. A small violent faction are intent on dividing communities and your reaction is exactly what they want.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 15:33:45

JBASHORUN

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2011 19:45:04
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 15:45:22

JBASHORUN

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Jon Boyes

quote:

Get real - there are plenty of muslims (the majority) who preach peace and tolerance. A small violent faction are intent on dividing communities and your reaction is exactly what they want.

Just to point out, some of Islam's teachings ARE deemed "controversial". BUT, the local Mosque next to my college has the motto "LOVE for all, HATRED for none" written clearly on the sign at the front.

Like I said, I think terrorism is a case of the few spoiling it for the many.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 15:48:16

Jon Boyes

quote:

Just to point out, some of Islam's teachings ARE deemed "controversial".

So are the bible's. Unless you think taking a slave or sacrificing your first born are not that controversial

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:01:09

Jon Boyes

quote:

I hadn't realised that "Jihad" was the outcome the extremists wanted... I thought Jihad was just a means to an end... in order to help bring about "Sharia Law" (as Ron put it).

Sorry, yes that's what I meant - their objectives will be achieved via Jihad.

The more people they blow up, the more people will turn against muslims, and the more that ordinary muslims will become radicalised.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:06:48

d.eduardo

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Jon Boyes

Most of the individuals taking part in terrorist acts have been indoctrinated into a version of Islam inconsistent with the original "true" Koran text. However, Mohammed (a man of flesh and blodd living around half a millenium ago) did bear arms and, to some extent as portrayed in Rushdie's literature, encourage people to do physical harm to those opposing him. Another example of violence hidden behind organised religion. A lot of people in the UK appear to be frightened even to speak up or express their opinion on radical Muslim behaviour which is one of the aims of the radicals. Having a believe is fine but dictating to others, and committing violent acts on others is unacceptable. This must be addressed seriously otherwise radicalism will spread. Even a sizeable portion of moderate Muslims living in Northern England are now expressing a desire for a Muslim State here in the UK. This kind of thing is not reported in the mainstream media.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 16:44:25

Jim Opfer

Hi Ron,

This from an article in the 'Govan Sunday Post' For those who don't know, Govan's a small fishing village on the Clyde about 4 miles from the airport.

After Glasgow Airport, the emails and websites have been set up already:

http://www.johnsmeaton.com/

John just surpassed himself on the National ITV newS.
The interviewer asked "What message do you have for the bombers" he replied

"This is Glasgow we'll just set about you" John did an interview on cnn and they asked how he restrained the guy and he said "me and other folk were just tryin 2 get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him" !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 17:00:43

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogdan1980
They live there in the desert and then they gonna come to Europe with their car bombs, and ruin the history, architecture, culture, people's lives.

There are many European muslims, British, Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Italians, Irish etc who have lived here peacefully for generations as well as new arrivals and christian converts. They have not just arrived from the desert on camels. In Granada the Muslim academics have worked hard alongside the Spanish to ensure many of the great Muslim and Mudejar monuments are conserved and that our history and culture, which is intertwined, is respected.

The majority of European Muslims are not extremists never mind terrorists.
http://www.gallupworldpoll.com/content/?ci=27325

If we jump into this way of thinking they are winning, turning us against each other and resorting to an 'us and them' mentality. I have many Arab friends here in Spain and we all marched together against the war in Iraq and to protest at the Madrid bombings. I tend to agree with JB that anyone who plans and commits acts of violence and terror is mentally deficient, including various politicians I could mention.

War is not the answer

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 17:08:08

Ron.M

quote:

and some other guy banjoed him" !

Terrific Jim!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 17:48:46

Mark2

quote:

I really would like to see a protest march from "ordinary" Muslims in the UK to demonstrate their distaste to these extremists.

cheers,

Ron

We in the US were waiting for that, and it never happened. At least not on a scale that made an impact. It's not helping matters. If we do suffer more attacks, it's going to get more polarized if muslims don't take a stand against the terrorists.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 17:57:33

Crows

I too want to see some kind of mass protest from the Muslim community.
I'm not holding my breath though.
It would have been done by now given previous incidents.
The influential Muslims just blow hot air, they cannot unite their community.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 18:36:56

Kate

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Crows

Not sure why there should be a segregated protest from innocent Muslims to prove themselves. Why should we not all march together if marching will solve anything ? I understood that many Muslim religious leaders have spoken out and condemned the extremists who continue to support terrorism. Surely it is obvious that all decent people protest such atrocities, Muslims and Christians and the rest of us. Demanding proof from Muslims will not help the situation, it may even polarise some young, stupid and disillusioned, and mentally challenged youth to join the Jihad.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 18:53:19

JBASHORUN

RE: Outrage at Glasgow Airport (in reply to Kate

quote:

Not sure why there should be a segregated protest from innocent Muslims to prove themselves. Why should we not all march together if marching will solve anything ?

Marches generally don't solve much at all, IMO. Very few people in power pay much attention to them. And a march by innocent Muslims wouldn't have much effect, other than to reassure the general non-Muslim population that they disagree with extremism.

This IS an issue, however... sympathy for radical Islam is far from dead within the religion as a whole. Obviously not all are brainwashed into blowing themselves up. But there is more sympathy and tolerance for extremism than some would like to admit.

Its up to EVERYONE to try and prevent terrorism. And that INCLUDES Muslims. Christians too. If society doesn't have the support of the religious communities, then the task will be far more difficult.

I have to admit, I'm kinda glad I'm an Atheist, though... its not always easy to stand up to the "bad guys".

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 20:08:28

JBASHORUN

Btw, I think a public expose of Demagoguery techniques is long overdue.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 20:11:15

Jim Opfer

Ron,

Did you go to the web site and watch the video?...marvellous!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 20:36:44

Bogdan1980

Every religion has its lunatics but those are more exeption than the rule. Christianity evolved away from inquisition and things of that nature (I know some people are still sick but those are few).
What gets me is that everytime you hear criticism of christianity no one goes into extremes, and blows up stuff and burns flags.
Muslims (at least the ones on the news): Danish cartoons come out - kill everyone in Denmark, apologize; Rushdie writes a novel- kill Rushdie; Pope says something - lets burn Pope efigy. I don't get it, why do they think that everyone should be Muslim?
And what is this creation of Muslim state in UK?? And for some reason I have never heard about pieceful muslims in Iraq trying to do something about their suicide bombings, I never heard any imam apologize for London buses, New York Towers, Madrid, anything. That just throws off the whole validity of claims about the good nature of Islam.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 20:47:12

Jim Opfer

quote:

That just throws off the whole validity of claims about the good nature of Islam.

Mmmm...! There are crazy folk everywhere. These crazy folk, we understand, are muslim.

The Glasgow attack was obviously a ham attempt, I mean, you decide you want to drive your vehicle into the airport and blow the place up so you get yourself into a huge jeep that can't fit in through the window? So much for planning. Does this mean that all muslim people are daft? Of course not.

There are lots of very gentle kind muslim people and as Ron said, it's terrible that these folk and their religion get tarnished because of these dangerous numpties.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2007 21:03:34
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post