Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

MIA   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Exitao

MIA 

Just popping in to say "hi".

Haven't been around because I can't bear to think about guitar. I lost two fingernails on my right hand a while back.

It's taken forever for them to come back. Partly because I didn't remove them right away; they were half torn from the nail beds and I at first hoped to save them, later I knew it wasn't going to work, but I couldn't handle the idea of not having something to protect my fingers (I work in construction, which is hard enough on having decent nails, but to do the work I do with two soft fingers... ouch).

So my index is still 1/4" away from being useful enough to even give the flesh enough firmness to pluck a string (without nail contact). It's surprising how much support and firmness the nail gives the soft flesh of the fingertip; the flesh extends past the bone a fair bit and without the nail...

The good news is that I didn't scar the nail beds, so they're growing back with minimal rippling.

I just bought a keyboard. I figure I can use that to work on learning music and theory in general.

But just a warning (and saludos), I'll be back. ;-)

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2007 7:16:04

koella

RE: MIA (in reply to Exitao

Welcome back !
What happened ? Accident ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2007 7:38:15

Exitao

RE: MIA (in reply to koella

I was doing something that shouldn't have been my job, as usual.

These guys had to waterproof a ventilation shaft for the parkade and didn't have any clue about confined space work procedures. So we set up a winch tripod so they could lower a guy down the 30' to do his job and then pull him out. So we were moving steel grates around to stand the tripod on and the guy who was helping me pushed too hard so my fingers got pinched between the grate (very heavy) and the concrete edge of the shaft. I might have gotten away with blood under the nails, but the pain was so excruciating I yanked them out and tore of the skin behind the nails from the cuticles to the edge of the first knuckles. So there was nothing to hold the nail on from the centre towards the inside edge between index and middle fingers.

I swear, I almost pissed myself. LOL. I couldn't even curse. Of course I'm the site first aid attendant as well, so I have to treat myself left-handed.
And this came just after having split a thumbnail a month before (hammer that time).

Either I need a new hobby, or a new job. When I find a way to change jobs and continue making what I do...

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2007 7:51:29

oooh man, thats making me queezy just listning to it. you are going thru a guitarists worst nightmare right now . well, you should come out of this a stronger person at the end of it all. our thoughts are with u man!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2007 8:53:17

Exitao

To tell the truth, I wasn't any good yet and my dedication was lacking. Now that I can't do it, I really want to.

So I don't know if it will make me stronger, but more appreciative and dedicated will suffice ;-)

Thanks for the well wishes.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2007 1:27:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll