Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso for sale @ Ebay   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

elkabong!

1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso for ... 

Gentlemen;

If you're looking for "The Holy Grail" of Vintage flamenco guitars; here it is.

It's been my "Fave" guitar for quite awhile now. Even preferred over my '83 Reyes...Yes, Really !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280124480144&...

Read the Item Description @ Ebay & of course feel free to email me directly at : elkabong@mts.net with any questions.

I'd be happy to answer them.

Ciao!
Rudy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2007 4:40:17

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to elkabong!

looks choice, why r u selling it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2007 6:18:43

elkabong!

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to Guest

Thanks Dominic ;

Yes, it really is a 'Choice' guitar.
I'm selling simply because I'm not playing much anymore & I have some bills to pay.
... Unfortunate, but true ...
It seems blasphemous to just have a guitar like this in my home in lying its case.

It NEEDS to be played !

Cheers;
Rudy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2007 12:04:27

elkabong!

*** PLease also check out my 1977 Francisco Barba "1A" @ Ebay right now !!! ***

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280125585702&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=018
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 13:15:59

TANúñez

quote:

I'm selling simply because I'm not playing much anymore & I have some bills to pay.

Screw the bills! file bankruptcy and keep your guitar. This is a true gem if it is what it is.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2007 1:32:16

elkabong!

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to TANúñez

Hey Tommy !

The Esteso definitely "IS" what it is !

...( but unfortunately, the bills "are what they are" too ! )...

This is one Great Geetar Brother !

; - ( ;

KABONG !!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2007 3:35:17

TANúñez

Given all the other fine guitars you have or have had through the years I'm sure this one is the real deal. I know it's well taken care of too!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2007 6:32:14

Ricardo

Ok, GIVE me the guitar, and turn your bill payments over to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2007 20:39:58

elkabong!

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to Ricardo

OK Ricardo;

... DEAL !...
Just send me your VISA card #...
LOL:
Rudy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2007 4:03:07

elkabong!

The new A 26's from the Felipe V shop are going for 8187 Euros; which is exactly the same amount as my asking price for my '72 Faustino Conde.

Most of you know my 'history' in terms of the guitars I've owned over the years. So you know that when I say that there's really no comparison between this '72 & ANY of the newer Condes I've owned or played; I know of what I speak...

It absolutely amazes me that no one seems to get this ???...

Most guys will gladly fork over $11,000.00 USD plus shiping, duties. & tariffs from Spain for a *New* A26, but won't even make a decent offer on a Great Vintage & Collectible flamenco guitar that plays & sounds great, with no issues !

This absolutely floors me !!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2007 15:15:37

hhmusic

hi rudy, i think there are two white elephants in the room regarding this guitar, so we might as well get them out in the open.

the first is the scale length - 670 is scaring people away. in the guitar's defense, this forum has discussed the sonic merits of long scale guitars before, and for flamenco, when 90% of the time we play with a cejillla, i think it's a non-issue. even on a guitar as long as 670, when the cejilla is on just the 1st fret, the capo'd scale length is less than 650. in fact, long scale guitars can give a welcome bit of room when the cejilla is higher up the neck. personally, i don't like 650s anymore.

but, in the buyer's defense, guitars longer than 660 have a lower resale value and take longer to sell, as is happening here - because of the PERCEPTION that they will be difficult to play. (again, with the cejilla, i think it's a non-issue). nonetheless, making a considerable investment in an unusually long scale guitar like this could be risky.

the other elephant is the price. $11,000 USD is an awful lot of money for a maker whose guitars are regularly available for much less. the going player-to-player price for a good newer era conde from the felipe V shop is between $4000 and $5500, depending on wood, finish, scale and condition. i know you've owned many guitars over the last decade, and if you prefer this one to all of them, i think we can be sure it is BETTER than your typical conde. so, if you priced it at the top end of that range or perhaps a tiny bit higher, i think you'd find a sale.

like you, the new owner would probably feel they got a great sounding guitar for the price they paid.... then would have difficulty reselling when and if they decided to.

good luck with it--

hh
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2007 0:54:39

TANúñez

$11,000 for a Faustino made Conde doesn't sound that bad when you compare it to a 2005 Conde from the Atocha shop on ebay with a buy it now tag of $12,000. Starting bid @ $8000. That is crazy. hhmusic brings up some very good points. I don't know if a player will pay that much for the guitar but a collector surely will. You never know Rudy. Be patient, a lot of people will pay any amount if the guitar is THE guitar they've been looking for.

On a side not Rudy, if you REALLY want to sell this guitar, you need to add that one little line that is so popular "This is the LAST guitar that Faustino built before he died". Take it even further and say, he dropped as soon as the guitar was tuned for the first time.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2007 2:03:38

elkabong!

Hey Tom;

LOL !!!

Now 'that' would be taking things over the top somewhat...

Can you say : "Used car salesman" ?...

Yeah, the Atocha guitar for 12K 'is' ludicrous; but we all know he won't realize that price.

As for mine at 11K; ... Hey ! That's just a 'starting point'.
No ones made me a serious offer yet...
The one I did get this auction was for 5K , & there's no way it'll leave my house for that !

I'm in no rush & good things come to those who wait... & in this case, that good thing 'includes' the lucky buyer of this great guitar.

... Whenever ...

Cheers;

Rudy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2007 4:45:27

alexandropach

Just to make things even more complicated, how do you compare this to the Domingo Esteso Reedition valued at $14,000. I have heard mix reviews on that but at least the sclae is good and the condition is original?

Alexandro
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2007 15:52:03

TANúñez

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to alexandropach

quote:

Just to make things even more complicated, how do you compare this to the Domingo Esteso Reedition valued at $14,000. I have heard mix reviews on that but at least the sclae is good and the condition is original?

Alexandro

I think this is good old fashion smoke and mirrors and marketing. I can see paying $14,000 for an original Esteso, but, paying $14,000 for a "ReEdition" made by someone else? I'm not paying $14,000 for a copy. It's just marketing my friend.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2007 16:01:49

Ricardo

quote:

I can see paying $14,000 for an original Esteso, but, paying $14,000 for a "ReEdition" made by someone else? I'm not paying $14,000 for a copy. It's just marketing my friend.

For the record, I had in my hands an original '53, same rosette but different head stock. The guitar was "restored" so I am not sure how that affects the sound, but it did not beat my conde's from Felipe V in terms of sound, and I was ready to trade or sell before trying it. I saw the SAME guitar make and model going for 5K in orginal condition.
http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/ac.htm

I was surprised so I inquired about the re issue at GSI. It is ALL ABOUT the stupid media luna head design. That is it. The ORIGINAL they copied it from is a collectors Item because of the head, the first of it's kind. The copy is a way to revive the "collectors item" that has already been..."collected". The original guitars from this period are in the category like Ramirez III, they are not so "collectable" or rather, they go for 5-7K. Not over 10, even in orginal condition. I was surprised to learn this, but that is just the way it is. A new Conde guitar in mint condition, even from whatever shop, is worth more, and probably will never be worth more than paid for, in the future. Why? Cause there are so many of them I guess, compared to Reyes or Arcangel etc etc. Does not even matter how great they sound in comparison.

Not saying anything about Rudy's guitar. Any guitar is worth whatever someone will pay for it. The guy's at GSI seem comfident that if you want a Conde from whatever period, one will come along eventually and they will sell it to you if you want for around 5K. Some one there admitted to me if one fell in their lap, they would try to get 6K or more if it is good, but have let Conde's go in the past (from 70's) that were not selling for a long time, for as low as 4K.

Ricardo
PS, I offered Rudy 8K when it first came up, but the truth is I would need to try it out first. If I lived close enough, I would consider trading with my best conde (not for sale) as collateral just to try it out first. Perhaps it would be worth 10K to me if it was in my hands? I personally think this guitar Rudy is Selling looks great, and if he says it sounds good I believe him, but these things can be taste issues. My student has one from 1971 that sounds good, but I would not trade him for any of mine I have now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2007 17:55:39

guitardode

LOVELY GUITAR YOU CAN T BUY THIS SOUND EASY
GEO
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2007 17:19:49

elkabong!

RE: 1972 Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso ... (in reply to guitardode

Thank you GEO ;

You're one of the few who 'gets it'...

Most everyone makes 'some' valid points, but your simple statement TOTALLY sums it up...

Again ... Thank you !

Rudy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2007 1:36:03
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll