Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Hooray!!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Hooray!! 

Back to basics again!
The SNP in Scotland have just announced that from 2009 there will be no charge for students studying in Scottish Universities.
Education to graduate and post-graduate level will be completely free.
A Tory ex-minister said that it might deter good students from applying to Oxford or Cambridge in England.
So I guess the great Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, (not to mention St.Andrew's) don't really count?

An SNP spokesman said " We are basing our policies on a student's ability to learn...not their ability to pay."

Olé!

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2007 21:04:19

edgar884

RE: Hooray!! (in reply to Ron.M

That is amazing very cool for the students.

May we find God through Flamenco instead of Angels and Demons

www.gabrieledgar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2007 0:29:29

Estevan

This is great. Important step towards undoing some of the damage wrought by Maggie and her acolyte Toady.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 2:43:18

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

Back to basics again!
The SNP in Scotland have just announced that from 2009 there will be no charge for students studying in Scottish Universities.
Education to graduate and post-graduate level will be completely free.
A Tory ex-minister said that it might deter good students from applying to Oxford or Cambridge in England.
So I guess the great Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, (not to mention St.Andrew's) don't really count?

An SNP spokesman said " We are basing our policies on a student's ability to learn...not their ability to pay."

Olé!

cheers,

Ron

Good news for the students - probably bad news for the Scottish tax payer. I really don't see why students should expect free degrees when the payback schedule for the loans could hardly be called onerous. Being responsible for their education should motivate them to choose a useful degree (i.e not philosophy,history of art, english lit, etc).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 6:00:07

Ron.M

RE: Hooray!! (in reply to hamia

quote:

Good news for the students - probably bad news for the Scottish tax payer

It's even worse than that, Hamia...

Even though Scotland has it's own Parliament, it has restricted powers, so we cannot change the Tax system and Scotland is allocated an amount of money out of the whole UK purse.
English students will still continue to pay up to £3000 a year as will those from Wales (and N.Ireland I think).
Unfortunately, (the way I understand it anyway) is that due to EU constitutional red-tape, those students will not be allowed free courses in Scottish universities, while some students from any other EU country will.
A lot of folk are gonna be hopping mad, but I think they would be better venting off to the government to claim free higher education in their own countries rather than screaming at "those damn Scots".

When I was at school, free education was the norm and lots of brighter kids from working-class areas and with modest means, thought it fairly normal to move on to University.
(Remember, many MPs currently in the House of Commons benefited from this system!)
When the change came for students (or their parents) to start paying, I must admit I had mixed feelings, since it did encourage an amount of responsibility to be taken on by the student, which could be a good thing...

I've changed my mind since then.

Free education to University level along with things like affordable housing provide better prospects for our young people, who will in turn become the future taxpayers.

I support it and would to see it extended throughout the whole UK, not just Scotland.

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 14:15:07
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread