Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Transcriptions   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: Transcriptions (in reply to Billyboy

Jon so far good i can live with some of the points you made but you still havent adressed one issue :)

The fact that he is acctualy ripping off the artist by transcribing his material without his permission and without giving him a fair share of the profit.

We are not arguing we are just chating, but since we are of the subject of doing the right thing we wanna make sure that all the right thing is beeing done all around.

Why should we do the right thing by him when he doesnt do the right thing by the artist ? I mean that is who's interest should we really protect that is the reason we even bother wanting to learn that piece because that artist created it. Or are we to just turn a blind eye because getting those transcriptions makes life easyer for us ?

I dont really wanna talk about Legal loops and technicalities we are ppple lets talk about right or wrong.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2004 22:43:49

Florian

Simon I was just using Abdullah as an example I not necesarely talking about him anymore.

Jon..

Now you know the Encuentro series eg R.Riqueni? video and book
Imagine how many more copyes they would have sold if A.Faoucher transcriptions werent available and with Encuentro we know for sure that the artist knows about it and gets a share of the profit.

You wanna help flamenco ? support those that support the flamenco artist and not those that just make it easyer for you and me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2004 23:01:17

Jon Boyes

RE: Transcriptions (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
Jon so far good i can live with some of the points you made but you still havent adressed one issue :)
The fact that he is acctualy ripping off the artist by transcribing his material without his permission and without giving him a fair share of the profit.

OK, on the face of it, that is of course wrong Florian. I didn't address that because its hearsay. I am sure that Dave is right in what he said - that Riqueni was suprised to see a transcriptionof his work in print, but without knowing the full details of that case we cannot argue the rights or wrongs, because we are just guessing as to what actually happened, both then and afterwards. This is a complex area of law and I am only skimming the surface.

But I do know this - Faucher now works WITH the guitarists concerned on his books, they are credited and thanked for their input in the foreword (at least, Moraito is and its my understanding that the others are also.)

I suppose the reason I get worked up about this is really the lack of quality material on the market. Compare flamenco with classical guitar, or rock guitar for example, where there are thousands of skilled transcribers working in the industry and publishing transcriptions for people to learn from.

Few music transcribers understand flamenco well enough to transcribe it adequately, which makes it harder for people like us to get access to learning material. The fact that it is handed down from one generation to the next, with no need to read music, means that people like Faucher are in a tiny minority. I want to see him continue to publish quality work, and I want to see him have competition from other skilled transcribers, who emerge *because there is a market*.

This is why I believe the wholesale copying of his works and putting them on are website are a bad idea, in the long run, for all of us learning flamenco. Compared to just about any other guitar style I can think of, the published repertoire in flamenco is tiny and still in its infancy.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2004 8:11:18

Florian

Jon are you a fan of Seinfield ?

This reminds me of the episode where Gerry wants to put the new chicken place (that just opened across the street from his appartment) out of bussines. But Kramer is hooked on it " - PLease Gerry ! Please ! I am begging you"

If you are a fan of Seinfield youl know what i am talkin about if not this post will look pretty stupid to you :)

Anyway , if you vouche for Foucher than I belive you :) but only cause is you :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2004 9:34:37

Jon Boyes

RE: Transcriptions (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

Jon are you a fan of Seinfield ?

This reminds me of the episode where Gerry wants to put the new chicken place (that just opened across the street from his appartment) out of bussines. But Kramer is hooked on it " - PLease Gerry ! Please ! I am begging you"

Unfortunately, I don't watch it, so this goes over my head

But anyhow, we've both made our points and I think Simon's helpful intervention with a reminder of forum rules probably means I don't need to get upset in this instance

Its good that we can have a frank debate about stuff like this without it degenerating into insults like ..um.. other forums.

Peace.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2004 12:26:55

Florian

Upseting you was never an option :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2004 12:46:56

Tenshu

RE: Transcriptions (in reply to Guest

Anyone actually got the transcriptions? It's been a while since I saw Abdullah online, and I'm still definitely interested.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2004 7:34:11
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post