Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you all we playing with Juan Martin ?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

andresito

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
The guitar was horrible, really rough and amateurish...
Then a voice over said that this was an excerpt from the current maestro Juan Martin's live concert!

Hey Ron, are you sure you heard right?
That doesn't sound like our Juan. Check here http://www.newschool.ie/cgi-bin/masters.cgi?area=martin if you're not convinced. He gets quite a rap.

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 6:04:35

Florian

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to andresito

quote:

Flo, since you liked this one, if you want I can get it put onto a T-shirt

I dont remember liking saying thaT I think its naive and childish and rude and unecessary and ... and .. and BAD !!!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 6:58:34

Ailsa

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Florian

Listen Flo, I'm a bit worried about that publicity photo of you and Sr Martin. I can see that it's a very relaxed shot - JM in his t-shirt and all - but do you think it's perhaps a bit disrespectful to the great man to be standing next to him with a tinny? Would have expected a glass of rioja at least.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:11:20

andresito

Nah, you got it all wrong Flo, it's actually a piece that questions whether Sr Martin has been demonized on Foro Flamenco. And, well, if you don't feel you can explain that to him, I worked up another one for you

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:17:01

Ailsa

Andresito is that web link for real? I mean.....

‘Martín has a terrifyingly good technique and an absolute dominance of the guitar, filling the concert hall with crystalline clarity.’
– El Mundo

‘[P]assionate flamenco pieces guaranteed to grab you by the seat of your pants and set your hair on fire….’
– Straight No Chaser

‘Nothing could have prepared us for the sheer sexual theatre of his flamenco.’
– Aberdeen Press

Come clean - you made those quotes up didn't you?!! I have this vision of Flo being grabbed by the seat of his pants with his hair on fire
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:17:54

andresito

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Ailsa

the bit that worried me most for Flo's wellbeing was the bit about 'sexual theatre'...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:19:32

Florian

LOL !!

Ok to be fair, i would be laying if i didnt say i am excited about this, i mean it will be quite a trip to be playing and look to my side and see Juan lol, expecially since when i started out my very first flamenco book was his.

I mean no matter what we think of his playing hes somebody and i am nobody, quite lucky.

and i wont even mention Segovias protogei ( dont know how to spell it ) Eliot Fisk, whos name i get heart palpitations everytime i mention, thinking hes gonna be in the same room when we play and mibe even do the group number togheder dont know.

lately i been practicing 8 hours a day but its not enough, i need to not sleep !!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:32:32

andresito

That's a good way to look at it, Flo. How many other people on the foro have played, or will play with someone famous? Nice one mate!
Don't do a Chopper and have too many tins in the green room beforehand, though...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 7:41:57

Taranto

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Does the guy ever practise???

LOL I also noticed that he plays the guitar better in his earlier instructional material than the recent ones.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 9:45:15

Jim Opfer

quote:

Anyway that night will be a speciall one for so many reasons, my Anders guitar will be in my hands and my Brazilian girlfriend in the Audience

If I were you and given it's JM, I'd settle for the reverse.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2007 12:50:32

Adam

quote:

and i wont even mention Segovias protogei ( dont know how to spell it ) Eliot Fisk, whos name i get heart palpitations everytime i mention, thinking hes gonna be in the same room when we play and mibe even do the group number togheder dont know.

But you forgot Segovia's BIGGEST protegé....

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 1:34:59

ToddK

Actually, Esteban plays a whole lot cleaner the Fisk, i can say that much.

Fisk has a tendency to play his whole rep about 50 bpm faster than
he's physically capable of playing it.
Fun for him maybe. But its nails on a chalkboard to me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 1:58:05

Florian

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to ToddK

quote:

Fisk has a tendency to play his whole rep about 50 bpm faster than
he's physically capable of playing it.

u are contradicting yourself there, if he does it as you say obviously he is capable of physically doing it.

I dont know anything about classical , but if Grisha looks up to him and learns from him, its more than good enough for me.

what videos i saw of him i loved it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 8:26:12

[Deleted] (in reply to Florian

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 8:38:06

Georg

Hey Florian,

don't forget to take mittens and a chimp mask with you.

You could get famous as a chimp with mittens who tries to play paco... Use this opportunity.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 19:06:07

JBASHORUN

I don't see why Florian and Juan don't team up as a double-act... they obviously have a lot to learn from eachother... Florian could learn a lot from Juan's Public Relations and Marketing, and I'm sure Juan could polish up his technique with a few tips from Flo. Together, they'd be unstoppable, and I'm sure they would sell thousands of albums...

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 19:57:51

guitarbuddha

Fisk has a tendancy to mug and hack. Grisha knows this but he is nicer than Todd and nicer than me by far. Classical music is strange, it's not what your teacher knows it is who he knows that is more and more important.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 20:03:10

Mark2

Flo, Ain't life strange. Not too long ago, you were writing about learning some of Juan's music and now your going to meet the great man himself! Sounds very interesting.

Guitarbudda, I'm not a big fan of classical guitar, so I am not familiar with Elliot Fisk's playing, but the greatest all around musicians I've ever heard were classical players. I would say playing pop, rock, even flamenco, has more of a chance of producing popularity based on who you know or who your related to than classical. But maybe I'm wrong?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 20:41:27

Florian

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Mark2

lol I just found the festival program in the news paper lol ( with the guitarists bio)
I wont mention JM's lol or we gonna start the Juan war again lol, lets just say , you have all read it before

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 22:02:52

koella

No Flo. Just spell it out word by word.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 22:17:01

Ailsa

C'mon Flo we wanna hear it, don't hold out on us!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 23:26:44

Florian

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 31 2007 5:35:44
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 5:33:19

Florian

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 31 2007 5:47:53
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 5:38:46

Florian

quote:

Juan Martin: flamenco virtuoso

A celebrated virtuoso of the flamenco guitar who has been voted into the top three guitarists in the world by US magazine Guitar Player, Juan Martín is a native of Andalucía, where he still has a home in Málaga. He spends much time on tour and in London where he has formed an international company, Flamencovision, for the promotion of high quality flamenco which he rehearses and brings direct from Andalucía. He has recorded 14 albums, mostly as a composer and presently has 4 videos distributed by Warner Brothers which, despite their purity, are always amongst their best sellers.

His method book El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra, in its seventh print, has opened the complex art of the flamenco guitar to the whole world and is assiduously studied from Moscow to Beijing to San Francisco and back to Spain and has assured his name for posterity. He performs with a highly distinctive compositional style formed from his early years in Málaga and developed through wide experience in Madrid, including direct contact with Paco de Lucía. Further experience and polish came through recordings with the Royal Philharmonic and live performances with artists of the calibre of Miles Davis.

The Spanish paper El Mundo said of him he has a terrifyingly good technique and an absolute dominance of the guitar, filling the concert hall with crystalline clarity. He has performed at major International Arts Festivals including Edinburgh, Ludwigsburg, Montreux Jazz ú solo in 1985 and with Herbie Hancock in 1987, Istanbul and Hong Kong as well as at leading halls worldwide. He has broadcast on BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Spanish RTE and German ZDF television and in the US for CNN. His solo performance of a rumba La Fería brought the Royal Albert Hall to its feet during BBC TV©ˆs Joy to the World. At the Wigmore Hall he appeared with the Nash Ensemble to celebrate Falla©ˆs anniversary and his collaborations have included a CD of his compositions with film composer Mark Isham called Painter in Sound.

He was the first flamenco artist to record with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and reviews of his solo compositions on The Andalucian Suites and Luna Negra have compared him to the great Spanish composers Tárrega and Turina. His interest in the Moorish roots of flamenco have led him to record Musica Alhambra and rediscover Andalusí and Sephardic music from the 12th and 13th centuries no longer performed in Spain: Martín spans the centuries with a mixture of the dazzling and the profound. The Observer. He followed on with Arte Flamenco Puro a recording of the cante, dance and guitar in its purest form and his latest CD recorded in Andalucía contains his best compositions to date with an alchemy of the traditional and modern making him truly El Alquimista ú Flamenco for a new era.

it ends with : " Juan has terrifyingly good technique and absolute dominance of the guitar, filling the concert hall with crystalline clarity ( El Mundo ) Spain.

the words varie a litlle , i just pasted the first few words into google eg " A celebrated virtuoso of the flamenco guitar " see what comes up , saved me writting for 20 mins.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 5:44:33

Florian

Btw. I aint commenting u asked so i pasted it ......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 5:56:37

Ricardo

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Guest

quote:

I am glad someone as reputable as Todd said it.

I love Fisk's Rochberg variations and Paganini Caprices but other than that he has horrible tone.

I am too scared to agree since a few classical friends love him, and he is Grisha's teacher of course! But I have to say even the Paganini made me think that music is just not for the guitar. But then J. Williams does a very cool version of just no. 24 that some young oriental girls hack through. But he changed it a lot from the violin.

But I hear Fisk lives in Granada or at least has a house overlooking the Alhambra, and is big flamenco aficionado. So that is pretty cool at least.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 6:45:32

guitarbuddha

RE: Is this a bad time to tell you a... (in reply to Mark2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark2

Guitarbudda, I'm not a big fan of classical guitar, so I am not familiar with Elliot Fisk's playing, but the greatest all around musicians I've ever heard were classical players. I would say playing pop, rock, even flamenco, has more of a chance of producing popularity based on who you know or who your related to than classical. But maybe I'm wrong?

Hi Mark. I am a big fan of classical music. I attended a conservatoire and gained a degree in guitar classical guitar performance. Many of the weakest all round musicians (who consider themselves to be professional)I have met were there and indeed some of them were there amongst the teaching staff. The strongest have tended to be in Jazz but also Scottish folk music. The musician counts really not the genre.

Although it is presumptuous of me to speak on behalf of Grisha I would say that he is a maturer, stronger, more respectful and more composed musician than Fisk ever has been. Fisk was famously taught by Segovia (who was famously never in one place long enough to teach anyone) and is allegedly a virtuoso. Noone here question this although many admit to not having heard a note he has played (such as yourself Mark).

Lots of classical music 'fans' exhibit this same trust, as indeed so do Juan Martin fans. Fisk is a strong player in some respects but musically he leaves a lot to be desired. Why is Grisha studying with him then ? Perhaps people will assume that Grisha is good because he studied with Fisk (who has had good PR). It is about branding really and trying to be close to people who can find you a career if you flatter them enough.

The good thing about this is that noone need trust their ears or listen before making a choice about wether or not a musician is good.... ?

If you want to hear someone who has been succeeding for a long time in playing the guitar the way that Fisk believes himself to then I reccomend listening to Kazuhito Yamashita who is well... better. If you want to know how Fisk playes then go ahead and listen but remember just because he is classical and famous doesn't guarantee that he is good.

D.

PS. WELL DONE and GOOD LUCK FLO. Stay off the coffee a few days before you play and you should be pretty well composed. Try and sleep well and maintain a normal-ish routine so that you dont start to feel too weird as the event gets closer and treat the man according to how he strikes you socially and you might even enjoy his company.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 7:26:02

Ailsa

Wow that's quite scary. I expected just a few lines...... .... didn't realise you were going to have to type a dissertation!

Does the programme say anything about anyone else, or has that taken up the entire space available?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 8:45:45

Florian

Well i dont know anything about classical, so i let the judging up to those who listen to it.

I only ever listened to a handfull of classical stuff and some i liked and some went past my head, I gues 1 life is just not enough to truly apreciate all the beautiful music out there.

Anyway in all the talk i am not sure if i said thanks for the words and nice wishes.

And for those of you who are too "flamenco" to wish me good luck dont worry , i am with you I dont think i deserve to be there either

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 13:25:14

aloysius

The festival website is up and running now: www.adelaideguitarfestival.com.au
Florian and I are playing in the show "Flamenco!". I'm pretty excited to be involved in a festival that has people like Martin Taylor, Ralph Towner, the Assad brothers etc. Time to do tons of practice! In any case Florian and I always have heaps of fun when we do shows together.

I only know Elliot Fisk from an old record I have of one of Bach's lute suites (BWV 996) and I like his interpretation a lot - especially his very original ornamentation. That's all I've heard from him so far, so it's interesting to get some other opinions.

Hope to see you all in Adelaide in November for our show (come on now, it's not that far away!)

- Aloysius

www.guitarsketches.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 13:53:22
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll