Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Ramón

quote:

Buff them to a dull shine. I got tired of explaining that I wasn't gay.

(I thought a pink emo' would be appropriate here)

I'm very fortunate that I don't have to use anything on my nails, but if I did, it would have to be something manly

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2007 2:02:27

Ramirez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to TANúñez

Congratulations Tom!

That really is a fine looking instrument - can't wait to hear it in action via mp3!

So are you going to start selling these via your website?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 10:22:01

Arash

WoW! Beautiful in all aspects. My Respect. Congratulations.

Would like to hear her sound.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 10:39:18

[Deleted] (in reply to TANúñez

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 10:51:17

Francisco

Fantastic job Tom. She's a beauty. Unique all the way around. You have some of the most interesting headstock designs I have ever seen. The diablo is still my fav tho. I can see that diablo headstock on a blanca w/ pegs and that conde orange finish. That would be far out man! Thanks for sharing the eye candy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 13:33:50

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Ramirez

quote:

Congratulations Tom!

That really is a fine looking instrument - can't wait to hear it in action via mp3!

So are you going to start selling these via your website?

Thanks Ramirez. I haven't decided yet if I want to eventually really try and start selling my work. This started off as a hobby. Doing it for a while now, I realize how time consuming it is. Plus, I've developed a bit of an allergy to the cedar. It really gets to me when I'm building a neck. Nothing I can't handle though. I love the instrument, and if I do decide to start selling I'll give them a shot on my website. See what happens.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 14:23:24

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Arash

quote:

WoW! Beautiful in all aspects. My Respect. Congratulations.

Would like to hear her sound.

Thanks Bikhiyal. Much appreciated.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 14:24:35

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Guest

quote:

No kidding. That is a beauty.

Gracias Romerito!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 14:25:43

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Francisco

quote:

Fantastic job Tom. She's a beauty. Unique all the way around. You have some of the most interesting headstock designs I have ever seen. The diablo is still my fav tho. I can see that diablo headstock on a blanca w/ pegs and that conde orange finish. That would be far out man! Thanks for sharing the eye candy.

Thank you samwise. The diablo head was unique. Maybe I'll give your idea a shot on the next one

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2007 14:28:41

JasonM

Wow Tom, I'm jealous! I am happy that you were able to get close to the conde sound, and on your first try too. I may have to place an order.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 1:39:27

Per Hallgren

quote:

Doing it for a while now, I realize how time consuming it is. Plus, I've developed a bit of an allergy to the cedar. It really gets to me when I'm building a neck. Nothing I can't handle though. I love the instrument, and if I do decide to start selling I'll give them a shot on my website. See what happens.

The only way to handle an allergy is to not be close to what makes you react. Building guitars creates dust even if you have your eventual machines connected to dust extractors or try to work with cutting tools instead of sanding. I was building up severe problems with cedar and rosewood dust but have been able to reduce the airborne dust in my workshop with the help from 3 Jet air filtration machines. They filters 600 kubic foot air per minute each and have made a big difference to my health. They are worth every cent they cost (ca 300 USD). Think of it before it is too late.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 11:08:38

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Per Hallgren

quote:

The only way to handle an allergy is to not be close to what makes you react. Building guitars creates dust even if you have your eventual machines connected to dust extractors or try to work with cutting tools instead of sanding. I was building up severe problems with cedar and rosewood dust but have been able to reduce the airborne dust in my workshop with the help from 3 Jet air filtration machines. They filters 600 kubic foot air per minute each and have made a big difference to my health. They are worth every cent they cost (ca 300 USD). Think of it before it is too late.

Thanks for the advise Per. It gets really bad for me. It didn't start off like this but I guess the more I build, the worse it gets. I don't really have a shop. More like a small room. I do all the assembly work in here and all the cutting and work that produces a lot of dust in the garage. That's where I keep all the power tools. The neck I do in the room. I notice the alergies start when I'm shaping the neck. I use one of those saw blade rasps because they remove a lot of wood and doesn't clog up on me. It produces a lot of sawdust though. Not very fine but enough to get me. I need to invest in a good filtration system.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 17:31:55

Anders Eliasson

Maybe a stupid question. You do wear a good quality dust mask when you work cedar?????

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2007 8:14:52

Per Hallgren

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Obvious, but not stupid. I guess we all are not 100% true to our affirmations. "Wear a mask as much as possible!!!"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2007 19:39:14

TANúñez

quote:

Maybe a stupid question. You do wear a good quality dust mask when you work cedar?????

Hi Anders,

I didn't at first because it wasn't a problem when I first started building. However, I do now but sometimes after it appears any floating dust particals have settled, I start to get reactions when not wearing a mask. A good filtration system should help a lot.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2007 20:16:06

Gummy

Is there something about cedar? I am currently replacing the siding on my house and am cutting lots of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 1:12:47

Per Hallgren

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Gummy

Both Southamerican, or Honduras Cedar, and Red Cedar is known to be extremely irritating, causing allergy and an increased risk of cancer. Wear a mask as much as possible but don't panic. I have worked with cedar more or less every day in twenty years and I'm still alive.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 7:12:13

Anders Eliasson

Some of the older buiders here have lung problems and cannot work cedar anymore.......

I´m in the process of buying a house and then I will build a new and bigger workshop. I have layed money aside for some tools, dust extraction and an cleaner. The order is prepared, I´m just waiting to finish the house contract.

Per which air filter do you use and for which size of workshop?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 10:18:29

Per Hallgren

I use three Jet AFS500 which I bought at Axminster Powertool Centre in England. I don't think you can find them cheaper in Europe and since I bought three I got a reduced price also. http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Jet-AFS-500-Air-Filtration-System-21189.htm I love them. I have one hanging from the ceiling in the centre of my bench workshop, one standing on wheels beneath the main bench blowing into the machine room and finally one in the machineroom blowing into the bench room through a hole in the wall thus circulating all the air in the two rooms. It is scary to see how much dust the filter hanging in the ceiling (and on a distance from the working processes) picks up. This is the dust which is staying for days flying in the air and it is also the dust which is most harmful (< 1 micron in size). They have really made a difference in my life.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 10:45:42

Per Hallgren

Oh, I forgot. My main two rooms, bench room and machine room, (not counting a small room for french polishing and storage of instruments) are ca 4 x 4 meter each and with a high ceiling.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 10:49:36

Lipman

Excellent work Tom. Your getting good at this, aren't you? But it's a bit cruel to be posting these lovely pictures without a sound clip! When are we gonna here this baby?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 11:10:41

jshelton5040

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Per Hallgren

Per,

I've never seen that model before, I suspect it's not sold in the US. I have the AFS1000 which works great but it's weight makes it difficult to hang from the ceiling. With three of those in a shop that size the air must be sparkling clean.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 14:45:00

Anders Eliasson

3 machines of this size. Isn´t it overkill. I was thinking of buying one for 6 x 4 (2 connected rooms of 3x4 ) high ceiling... and put it in the wall between the two. I think its rated for 125m3. Maybe I should buy two and make them blow each way, thus making a circular movement in the two rooms.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 18:30:19

Per Hallgren

For me it was necessary, not overkill. I had to see a doctor this spring for my first astma attack. I have had no problem since I bought them, so if they give me another twenty years in this business it is not overkill in my opinion. I had the space and the money, and as John say, the air is clean now.

One good point of two machines, as you say Anders, is to circulate the air leaving no pockets of air that stand still.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2007 19:30:59

Anders Eliasson

I totally agree in that at least one air cleaner is a must and I see the good point in circulating the air with two machines. Thanks for the advices

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2007 8:33:59

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Lipman

quote:

Excellent work Tom. Your getting good at this, aren't you? But it's a bit cruel to be posting these lovely pictures without a sound clip! When are we gonna here this baby?!

Thanks Lipman,

I prefer to say I'm getting "better". Still have a lot to learn before I can say I'm getting good at it. I'm saving for something to record with. In the meantime, I may just go over a friends house who has a nice recording setup.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2007 2:42:40

Jeff

That is a fantastic guitar!!

Is that an ebony reinforcement in the neck?
And is that mohagany you joined the back with?
What is the perfing, mahogany - really pretty!

I can't wait to hear it...

I'll take one!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2007 18:20:05

TANúñez

RE: Conde Style Guitar - Update (in reply to Jeff

quote:

Is that an ebony reinforcement in the neck?
And is that mohagany you joined the back with?
What is the perfing, mahogany - really pretty!

Thank you very much Jeff.

The neck is reinforced with an ebony strip. Back inlay and binding are Indian rosewood with a white and red purfling strip.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2007 18:31:06

DoctorX2k2

I want to hear this beauty ssssssssssiiiiiiiiiing!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2007 18:03:02

HemeolaMan

since everything else has been covered, I'll comment on something you have all missed: Tom, you have a very graceful signature. I wish my name looked that good!

for dust filtration, I bought a military surplus CDC biosuit and a full face gas mask. it has a full field of view, which is nice. set me back maybe a hundred bucks. lol. it looks funny because i also wear a "shop" apron.... which has a pic of a burger and "CHEF!" on the front lol. needless to say, there's a couple inches of wood flour on all surfaces lol.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2007 19:24:09
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote