Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad???   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? 

Tranquilo, tranquilo Amigos....

ES VERDAD!!!... OLE!!...o...jow joo say thees en Engliss???....

....Eees trooo!!.....

Juan the Man esta aqui!!!

Hey!... que pasa?...what thee problem here with all thee grey sky and rain???
You guys no even get proper daylight here ......

(Do not worry my friends, "La Feria" I will play for joo! )

Juan Martin's first Scottish date
JUAN MARTIN and FLAMENCO ENSEMBLE
Aberdeen Music Hall
Thursday May 24 @ 7.30pm

Top guitarist Juan Martin is to play Aberdeen Music Hall, his first Scottish date on his latest tour.

Twice voted into the world’s top guitarists, Juan Martin will perform with his mesmerizing Flamenco Ensemble on Thursday May 24.

Described by the Sunday Times as ‘A giant of the flamenco guitar tradition’, this promises to be an exhilarating evening of Mediterranean passion to stir the soul.

Named ‘Doctor Flamenco’ by The Times, Juan presents a talented line-up of musicians and flamenco dancers, exploring modern harmony, crossing over into contemporary ideas and yet retaining the great tradition within his compositions. The interplay between the bass guitar, flute, and saxophone guitar improvisation creates a crescendo of torrential passion, which is ultimately physically realised through the carnal expression of dance.

A celebrated virtuoso of the flamenco guitar, Juan Martin is based between his native Andalucia and London, although he spends much of his time touring around the world. He has a highly distinctive compositional style formed during his early years in Malaga and developed through wide experience in Madrid where he worked with, among others, Paco de Lucia and subsequently was the first to present the flamenco dance diva Eva la Yerbabuena in his company. Juan Martin was the first flamenco artist to record with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the album ‘Serenade’ becoming a top twenty hit, and reviews of his solo compositions on ‘The Andalucian Suites’ and ‘Luna Negra’ have led to comparisons with the great Spanish composers Tarrega and Turina. Juan wrote the ‘bible’ for learning the flamenco guitar, ‘El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra’, which is now in its ninth print as well as a dvd best seller now with Fabers called ‘La Guitarra Flamenca’.

Juan Martin and Flamenco Ensemble provide a thrilling night of flamenco music, percussion and dance that should not be missed.

Tickets are available from Aberdeen Box Office on 01224 641122 or online at www.boxofficeaberdeen.com

cheers and sorry Juan and fans...I just couldn't help myself..

And anyway...this post was especially for Florian

Ron

Further goodies here for those too lazy too look..
http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/MoreInfo.php?e=2167

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2007 20:44:02

Doitsujin

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Ron.M

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2007 22:01:48

koella

I'm speachless Ron.
Juan Martin. Isn't he the one that taught Paco DeLucia how to play guitar ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2007 22:25:17

XXX

Ehm, Doctor Flamenco?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2007 22:29:26

guitarbuddha

To quote Dennis Pennis (on Jeff Goldblum). Noone has more respect for Juan Martin than me, and I have none at all.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2007 1:04:33

Franchiquito

Ehi guys! You all are gelous because he is so famous...

i'm sure

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2007 5:23:58

krichards

Ron

You must have a have a pretty impressive and lively scene going on up there in Scotland if you can afford to set up such a negative and arrogant thread.

I guess you won't be going to see him then?

What else is going on up there?

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2007 19:59:39

guitarbuddha

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to krichards

Music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2007 20:55:39

Ron.M

Hi Kevin,
I didn't intend it to be either arrogant or negative, but simply a bit of fun...in fact I can't see anything in my post which alludes to arrogance or negativity (?)

Sure, I made a parody of Juan's accent, which is sometimes very fluent, but at times changes to this... " I no understand how to say thees word, because thees emotion is really Espanish.....", which I've heard him lapse into in some interviews.

Apart from that and a description of Scottish weather (which incidentally, I wrote practically word for word from Benjamin Escoriza's address to the Scottish audience at a Radio Tarifa concert at the Lemon Tree venue in Aberdeen and made everybody laugh, including myself.)

Maybe the understanding lies in the readers mind, not the writer?

Celebrities...Actors, Polititians, Rock Stars, Famous Musicians and Rich Folk are practically daily subject to parody...why should Juan be immune?

Juan is quite a controversial player on this Forum, so I was quite intrigued on opening the newspaper to find he was appearing here on Thurday evening.

I probably won't be going to Juan's concert, not because of Juan...but because "the harmonic interchange between sax, bass guitar, flute and flamenco guitar" is something that I'm not really interested in.
If Juan was maybe doing a solo concert, or better still, with a singer and maybe a dancer, then I would have gone.

Hope that clears things up amigo.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2007 21:30:06

Jim Opfer

Ron, How do I upload the picture from the poster I noticed here in Glasgow? It's a bit different and I guess, a wee bit more Spanish.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 14:03:29

Ron.M

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Jim Opfer

Hi Jim,
After you click "Post Reply" and you get presented with the blank form, tick the little box that says "Embed picture in post", then click "Click here to upload!".
(With your guitar pics, you forgot to tick the box).

cheers,

Ron

(PS: Is he playing in Glasgow?)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 14:26:16

Hugh

I think he's only doing Aberdeen and Dundee. Which is a pity, I'd have gone to see him had it been Glasgow.
I saw him about five years ago at Martin Taylors guitar festival. I did'nt have a clue about flamenco then. I thought him pretty impressive at what he did. I'd have liked to have seen him again and see what my opinion on him now is.
Actually I quite fancy the band set-up he's got on this tour Ron.

Actually as to the music scene in Glasgow - There's this guy "Opfer" I believe his name is that is reputed to do some pretty cool gigs up here
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 15:31:19

Jim Opfer

Ron,
I'm getting this message
'Either the feature is disabled, or you do not have sufficient permission.'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 19:29:54

Escribano

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

I'm getting this message 'Either the feature is disabled, or you do not have sufficient permission.'

Depends on which part of the forum you are in I think. General allows it. Which browser?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 19:44:08

krichards

Ron
Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel better, I suppose.
But what i want to know is why you feel the need to parody Juan Martin?
Do you do this with other performers? I don't think so.

I think there is a large section of this forum that has a negative view of Juan Martin, and i genuinely have no idea why.

Of course, I'm relatively new to flamenco and i realise there are many brilliant performers that i have yet to discover and learn about.

But what the hell is the problem with Juan Martin?

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 20:13:19

Ron.M

quote:

Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel better, I suppose.
But what i want to know is why you feel the need to parody Juan Martin?
Do you do this with other performers? I don't think so.

I think there is a large section of this forum that has a negative view of Juan Martin, and i genuinely have no idea why.

Of course, I'm relatively new to flamenco and i realise there are many brilliant performers that i have yet to discover and learn about.

But what the hell is the problem with Juan Martin?

Hi Kevin.
I think he sets himself up for it IMO.
It would be difficult to parody Tomatito, PdL, Gerardo etc...because they just let their music speak for itself.
Vincente gets quite a bit of jokey flak too, with his " moody image", although he is certainly one of the finest Flamenco Guitarists in the world.

I think the main problem is that Juan's publicity material far exceeds his peer rating, although he is a good and competent player.

I agree that he did not write his reviews or results of polls, but he is happy to quote them in his publicity for his own reasons, so he's got to accept the consequences for that as well as the rewards.

We all know that music critics for newspapers and the media are mainly "general" music lovers, probably with more of a grounding in Classical and Opera etc and have no in-depth knowledge of Flamenco, but still feel competent to air their professional views in print for the guidance of lesser mortals.

One BBC Music Broadcaster came up with this gem....

" Juan Martin is arguably the finest flamenco guitarist on the planet."

Now that is clearly and demonstratably untrue....it's not just a matter of "arguable taste".

It's like saying Tim Hennman is arguably the best Tennis player on the planet, or that Scotland has arguably the best National Football team on the planet, or England arguably has the best cricket team on the planet.

Probably this BBC guy was exposed to Flamenco for that one evening and was very impressed.
If you had to mention Gerardo, Paco, Tomatito, Vincente, Manolo etc etc...he probably wouldn't even know who you were talking about IMO.

The problem is that Juan takes such "gems" and adds them to his publicity portfolio, which leads to aficionados raising an eyebrow.

I'm not knocking Juan here, but only answering your question about how JM has such a controverial time in serious Flamenco circles.

Even forgetting about the more "modern" players...do you think that Paco Peña feels in the least intimidated that Juan was voted amongst the top 3 guitarists in an American guitar magazine?

Of course not.. but like all the above professionals I mentioned, they will never criticize a fellow professional in public, since they all know how hard it is in the Music Business.

cheers,

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 22:45:34

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 22:59:23

koella

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Guest

quote:

ORIGINAL: romerito
But who was the last great dancer or singer JM accompanied.

Well who were they ? Tell us! Oh, allmighty oracle !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 23:10:10

[Deleted] (in reply to koella

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 23:15:45

Jim Opfer

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Escribano

Hi Simon,
I'm trying to upload in this section as Ron did but I don't have that option on the window I get?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2007 23:36:55

andresito

I think that Sr Martin's playing/style/rep may have been better served by staying in Andalucia for a few more years rather than moving to England at such a young age, maybe he has isolated himself somewhat from the world of flamenco, but on the flipside (despite all the gems that show up in ads for shows or (ahem) the front of his books...) maybe he's trying to do something to get people interested in flamenco that might not otherwise have a chance to see some live playing (I don't know what the scene is like there). OK, who was the last singer or dancer he accompanied? And how many times has PDL toured Scotland?
Even if his material (and his haircut) is old-fashioned and his technique ordinary, I can appreciate that in his books he has tried to encourage people to at least try to take up flamenco guitar (with aire and compas) and learn more about other aspects of flamenco, when they might not have easy access to classes in their part of the world. Maybe there would be less budding flamencos in the wide world without him, who knows? I have teaching material by both him and Gerhard Graf-Martinez (real name pls, anyone?) who is much more engineer-like (well he's german for goodness sake) in his explanations and, to my ear, his 'aire'.

p.s. I think Juancho's spanish accent has dropped off a lot in the time between his 'Arte flamenco de la gitarra' book/tape, which was produced in the 70's, and his later 'Solo flamenco guitar' DVD, which just looks like it was produced in the 70's

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2007 4:41:48

guitarbuddha

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to andresito

Yeah not only has he learned to speak English a little better but his arpeggios are occasionally in time on the DVD, something which never happened on the truly hilarious fumbled set for the book/tape .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2007 7:11:43

koella

No Romerito not arrogant. Maybe a little fanatic sometimes.
You always have this message that there is no place on the foro for guitarplayers who are not familiar with dancers and singers. I enjoy flamenco singing very much, but I just stick to solo playing. May I ?

And concerning Juan Martin. I don't know him and I don't like him. In Europe ( except UK )he means nothing as you know. If I had encounterd flamenco via him, I would not have been interested in flamenco in the first place.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2007 7:55:39

Hugh

I'm quite the opposite, had it not been for me seeing Juan Martin at a festival and at a guitar workshop, I probably would not have been introduced to flamenco guitar.
When I did eventually start learning the style, I did it with his book on the subject.
I find that the book is fine for an introduction to the music. I have found that he does'nt go into the basic techniques enough, but this has been rectified by you guys on this site. A friend of mine has the Graph-Martinez book, and I had a loan of it for a while, I found that although he taught the basics far better, I preferred JM's pieces more interesting(maybe just my taste). So much so, that I am ordering the second part as soon as I've learned the present book.
I can see where you are not impressed with the guy with the over-rated and over publicised thing, but I really do like his music at the moment. Maybe in a few years my opinion will change, but for now, I'll stick with his teachings. There's not much in the way of teachers up here in the West of Scotland as far as I can see, so I have to take what info I can get at the moment.
So at least he's now got two fans on this site
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2007 10:02:58

el ted

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 5 2007 15:53:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2007 11:39:13

andresito

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to el ted

quote:

ORIGINAL: el ted
No records, radio programmes, guitar teachers. NOWT.

Sorry Ted, I don't understand, you mean PDL wasn't giving free classes in north in 70's?
I thought he were everywhere, like God or Father Christmas...

and where were Foro Flamenco then, when you needed it, eh?

pls excuse mock yorkshire accent, it's my homage to Michael Palin's one

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 1:34:22

guitarbuddha

RE: Ohhh nooo! Es Verdad??? (in reply to Hugh

I'm here Hugh.

Where are you in then I am in Glasgow.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 2:00:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Jump to: