Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Yamaha CG171SF   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ecgfc

Yamaha CG171SF 

Hi all,
Does anyone knows anything about this model? I'm a beginner in this art form and can't (not yet anyway!) to fork out several thousand dollars for a good guitar! Any suggestions?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 17:52:11

JBASHORUN

RE: Yamaha CG171SF (in reply to ecgfc

Whats with all the newbies these days? anyway, yes... I have a yamaha CG171SF (if thats what they are still called, I think they may have changed the model number recently, although I'm not sure).

What I CAN tell you is that its an "ok" guitar. it sounded a bit classical when I first got it, but now its opening up nicely. Its still not gonna compare to a decent hand made luthier guitar, but for £200, I'm happy with it (until my playing improves).

I would offer to upload an audio clip for you, but my microphone has a tendancy to make the guitar sound better than it is, and my playing is pretty bad. However, I believe quite A LOT of other members now have this guitar, so maybe one of them will upload something if you're lucky (Toddk?)...

Anyway, its a good guitar for beginners.

Jb

PS: its a blanca (cypress back and sides, although I think its laminated cypress).

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 18:22:57

n85ae

I just bought a nice new Pedro De Miguel from La Falseta, and to date the Yamaha I own still get's played and hasn't been used (yet) for barbeque
kindling :)

I still think it's a great sounding guitar, well worth the money.

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 18:42:22

NeZ

I tried one of these out at Guitar Center the other day and was impressed with it for the price. It matched up well against some more expensive Cordoba's and such that they had.

The action was a bit high on the one I looked at but that might have been just the specific guitar I looked at. And there was plenty of extra saddle left to make adjustments.

For $350 it seems like a great deal for a starter Flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 18:49:54

n85ae

I bought a bone saddle blank, and with a flat file, and some sandpaper made
a replacement in about 10 minutes that set my string height exactly where I want it. Which is 3mm at the 12th fret from fret top to string. The blank cost
$4

After playing it for a while that guitar sounds really good, and definetly
better than all the Cordoba's at our local shop.

My friend call's me "deluded", but I was a bit annoyed by the crude roughness
inside the guitars top. So I reached in via the soundhole and sanded everything
I could reach. I'm definetly of the impression that it sounds even better for
doing so. Maybe placebo effect, but if so, what I don't know doesn't hurt. :)

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 19:18:37

ecgfc

Great insight...thank you all!
Sound & quality wise, is an Ahambra 7Fc much better? I am willing to invest up to $1200 in a somewhat ok guitar, but must sound flamenco. Any ideas?
Thanks.
MR
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 20:09:13

JBASHORUN

quote:

Sound & quality wise, is an Ahambra 7Fc much better? I am willing to invest up to $1200 in a somewhat ok guitar, but must sound flamenco. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Are we talking US$ ? because if you've got over a grand to spend, I would say that you can get a better guitar than the Yamaha for that money. The Yamaha is a "top-of-the-bottom-end" guitar, whereas with $1200 you're looking at "bottom-of-the-middle-end" guitars. I know Jeff rates his Yamaha very highly, but personally I think its just a good value for money guitar. I would look around at the various options. But remember: try ALL guitars before buying them, as some are good and some are bad, even within the same make and model.

Anyway, whats the deal? You said you CAN'T fork out thousands for a guitar, but now you can?

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2007 22:05:50

andresito

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZguitarmegadealsQQhtZ-1

This shop in Florida (on eBay) often has a Spanish luthier-made spruce top/cypress laminate back and sides for about $650, with good looking action, could be worth checking out for a 'real' flamenco for well under a grand. But ordering a guitar over the net may be an issue for some people. This Yamaha guitar looks like good value. Traditionally, Japanese flamencos and classicals were usually nicely (over)built but didn't have as much character as cheaper spanish guitars.

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 11:19:31

n85ae

RE: Yamaha CG171SF (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

I know Jeff rates his Yamaha very highly, but personally I think its just a good value for money guitar

I think for the money, it rates very highly. I'd qualify it by saying that. :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 13:37:22

ecgfc

hi Jb....yes US dollars...
by thousands I meant anything over $2000.00 I have been researching this issue & so far I know that a "tailored" flamenco can be really expensive. What I am looking for is a "starter" guitar. I have a ok classical where I practice, but rather have a flamenco" to get the flamenco style/sound and all the beauty it entails.

I'm in WI USA and so far no one I know sells "beginners" flamenco guitars around here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 13:46:14

ecgfc

RE: Yamaha CG171SF (in reply to andresito

Gracias andresito
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 13:47:29

Hola

Price is relative. Pedro Sierra is a top class soloict and accompanist, primarily for his wife, La Tobala. I have seen and met him twice: last year in Jueves Flamenco when he accompanied Carmen Linares and last night in Peña Enrique el Mellizo, where he played solo. His guitar sounds terrific with or without amplification, It cost 1,200 euros in Valencia. It seems that he had a fall out with Conde over their prices and decided to go to the source. Professional guitarists want value for money, not hype.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 14:20:48

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Professional guitarists want value for money, not hype.

Well, some want a Mercedes, a Conde, a big gold chain and semi long hair in the neck.

The 1000 - 2000$ market is the most difficult. You can get a very nice guitar and you can end up with a potato (Spanish, American or Japaneese no difference)

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 17:22:39

JBASHORUN

quote:

What I am looking for is a "starter"

Ecgfc, as said the Yamaha makes the perfect starter guitar. but as also said, try before you buy because each one is different. And IMO (which is just my opinion) there are probably quite a few good guitars available for $1200. Its just a matter of trying them all and seeing which one you like best.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 18:05:49

ecgfc

Gracias JB

MRios
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 18:45:05

Ricardo

I have student who has a nice Cordoba that he got in that price range. He had to make his own bone to make it more "flamenco" sounding, but is definately worth the price. Definately better than the Yamaha. I think Hermanos Sanchis Lopez, just a little more expensive, is a big step up though. I think we are talking $1600 for the lowest cypress model?

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2007 19:23:56
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote