Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Carved cejillas   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

RE: Carved cejillas (in reply to a_arnold

This one (below) is the "Canastero" model, boxwood with ebony endpin, simple, traditional design, $20.

All of my cejillas have a soft fabric string rather than a nylon guitar string as the strap. This makes the protective leather strap unnecessary. Payment is to paypal at anthonyarnold5170@att.net and shipping is included in all prices.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2012 20:47:07

a_arnold

This one (below) is the "Solea" model, Solid ebony, simple, traditional design. $25.

All of my cejillas have a soft fabric string rather than a nylon guitar string as the strap. This makes the protective leather strap unnecessary. Payment is to paypal at anthonyarnold5170@att.net and shipping is included in all prices.

Attachment (1)

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2012 20:48:28

a_arnold

This one is the "Bulerias" model, solid handcarved (not laser cut) ebony with mammoth ivory trim. $40.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2012 20:50:51

a_arnold

This is the Siguiriyas. Mosaic on ebony with ebony peg and endpin. I might be able to match the mosaic on your guitar. The mosaics that I use vary, and you should request and email picture of the exact one before you order. $60.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2012 20:57:19

tmock

Tony's new low profile design was waiting for me when I got home from work today. (One of Tony's pictures is below.) A capo is one of those things I wouldn't expect to be overly obsessed with. I really just want it to work. But it's amazing how, with all of the elaborate designs, so few "just work." This one isn't perfect, but it's really great. So here's way more analysis than you ever knew you needed about a capo.

First, the high points:
- It retains the core aesthetic of a traditional capo. Wood, a peg (I know, it's wood, too), leather, string. That's it. Not a big hunk of metal. No internal ratcheting mechanism. I like those other capos, but they just don't look right hanging off my flamenco guitar.
- It's light. No matter how light your neck or how precariously balanced your guitar position, you'll never notice this capo. And if you're one of those guys who is convinced you can hear every gram added to your guitar, no sweat.
- The low profile design is perfect. I can play any jammed up first-fret position I want and pivot my fretting hand as far over this capo as I can over the nut. Nice.
- Maintaining the use of a simple string on the bottom also keeps the bottom design low profile. Only this is way better than the fishing line and leather strap on my old cejilla. Why? Four reasons. First, no leather strap. One less piece to situate when you're setting up. Second, the string seems more durable than the fishing line on my old cejilla, which is already distending. Third, the string is braided and soft, so no dents in the back of the neck because you didn't position the leather strap just right. Fourth, and most important, the braided cloth string has a very progressive and secure feel. You can dial in exactly how much tightness you want, and it stays. My old cejilla doesn't have that kind of precision. The fishing line doesn't develop any real friction on the peg or body of the cejilla, so it won't hold it's position unless it's really cranked down. No issue here.
- Tony has redesigned angle of the peg (compare to the earlier picture of this design in this thread), so that the tightening of the string actually pulls the peg into the hole, letting the capo hold your selected tension even more securely.
- The peg is a good bit longer than the one on my old cejilla. Also makes things more secure.
- Oh, and a very fair price for a well-designed, hand-made piece of kit.

Now, I said it isn't perfect, so here are my seriously nitpicky nits:
- The string could stand to be a couple millimeters longer. I don't want a lot of excess string when I'm capo'd at the second fret, but my guitar's got a chunky neck and high action and those seventh and eighth fret capo positions are just a little tricky to get into.
- Although the peg angle is functionally better on this variation, I like the slight soft curve the old design created to the right of the string. It adds an interesting design element and, more importantly, looks like it would guide the string and keep it from sliding over the edge of the capo as your tightening things down. Like I said. Nits.

So, yeah, I know it's "just a capo," but this is a really good capo! Traditional vibe, yet modern design. Simpler and less fussy than even a traditional cejilla, yet more effective than a lot of the more complicated contraptions. So get a Dunlop Professional toggle capo to cut notches in for crazy altered tunings, and use one of Tony's new cejilla's for everything else. Nice work, Tony, and thanks! Until you make an improved version of this one, I've found my capo.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 5:09:22

a_arnold

RE: Carved cejillas (in reply to tmock

quote:

The string could stand to be a couple millimeters longer.

Thanks for the review, Travis. As regards the string length, by now you have probably discovered that with a few days of use, the string will stretch exactly those few extra millimeters that you need.
Tony

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2012 18:17:15

kudo

hey Anthony, I never heard back from you after the last email you sent . its been at least 2 or 3 months now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2012 22:58:01

a_arnold

RE: Carved cejillas (in reply to kudo

quote:

its been at least 2 or 3 months now

Sorry, Kudo. After you posted your question (still there on the previous page of this thread) I posted a pic with price (also on the previous page). I probably should have messaged you directly as well. Just send $40 to paypal anthonyarnold5170@att.net for the "nuevo" model -- the offset ebony cejilla. Be sure to include your shipping address.
Tony

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2012 0:15:37

tmock

quote:

As regards the string length, by now you have probably discovered that with a few days of use, the string will stretch exactly those few extra millimeters that you need.

Yup! Thanks again for the great product.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2012 15:54:28

constructordeguitarras

Yes, beautiful work!

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2012 13:20:12

shaun

I know what I want for my birthday!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2012 1:49:27

jalalkun

hey guys, does any of you know if tony arnold still makes these cejillas? i'm craving the one with the offset peg :/

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2017 15:15:40

bahen

RE: Carved cejillas (in reply to jalalkun

He does, indeed! Send him an email.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2021 21:40:22

Richard Jernigan

RE: Carved cejillas (in reply to jalalkun

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalalkun

hey guys, does any of you know if tony arnold still makes these cejillas? i'm craving the one with the offset peg :/

I sent him an order on August 8, didn't hear back, emailed him yesterday, got a reply today. Somehow my Paypal payment was not announced.

Tony's wife is ill. Her immune system is compromised from chemotherapy treatments. He is reluctant to stand in line at the Post Office to ship cejillas, due to the risk of contracting COVID-19 and taking it home to his wife. Besides mine he has a few other orders. He offered to refund my money, since it will be at least a month before his wife's immune system is re-assessed. I told him to keep the money and send me a capo when it's reasonable to do so.

I already have a capo he made. It works great.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2021 0:23:11
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote