Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Americans bringing democracy to Iraq!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to John O.

I dont know why so many people consider humans and animals as the same thing or quotes like 'just like animals we do this' or whatever. Humans and animals are completly different things. If you wanna call yourself an animals, fine. But if you consider yourself as an animal, sooner or later you will start acting like an animal. I will never buy into this crap that humans are just animals. We have free will and and a conscience, animals dont. Im sure someone has all the arguments in the world to 'prove that, we are in fact animals' but its just popular modernist philosophy **** that will have its day and a new trendy way of thinking will come along like, we are all in fact snails waiting for an extraterestrial race of frenchlike creatures to come down to earth and gobble us up. Sorry John, but that last comparison of humans being the same as raising pet dogs was ridiculas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 9:56:10

John O.

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Guest

Jeez, stop your barking

If you believe in creationism we should stop this conversation right here.

What do you think would happen to a human if you raised it in a cage with other dogs and taught him or her nothing different? Does somebody raised in the ghetto have the same conscience as somebody raised in Beverly Hills? You can raise a guard dog or a cuddly pet dog.

Our DNA structure already proves we're not dogs. Still we eat, breathe, poop and have similar instincts to dogs, so we're not COMPLETELY different as you claim.

Comparisons can be made all over the place, it helps discussions. I have eyes, a dog has eyes, doesn't make me a dog. I didn't say we were dogs, I meant we have a similar trait.

So when I start to act like an animal, which one do you mean? Dog, cat, monkey?

I remember a story on the news about moneys who learned sign language and one of them actually asked one of the caretakers "What do you think happens when we die?" Don't know how that ties in, just found it interesting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 10:19:43

guitarbuddha

For you Dominic, no way of thinking will ever be fashionable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 11:25:03

Arash

Here is something to cheer you up!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 16:34:13

Florian

sorry Domenic u know i love you mate..

but i agree fully with John, trendy has nothing to do with it, its evolution, we started out as monkeys and developed alot faster.

we may be the smartest species by our own measurments, but in the big picture, we are just one of the species, live , reproduce, die, eat , kill for survival (all tho most of us dont have to ) just like the others.

quote:

I will never buy into this crap that humans are just animals. We have free will and and a conscience, animals dont

Animals have alot of free will, only we dont let them do what they want, conscience is something learned, so its self inflicted, imprinted in you depending on the your upbringing and your ideology of right and wrong, its a nice thing to have, sounds very emm.. grand and Humain ( all tho we can conviniently turn it off when it dosent suit our interest to have it)

we are smarter ! therefore able to control the enviroment and other animals around us, and write religion and have built ourselfs up as decendants from gods ( but then again WE wrote that its great to be able to write your own reviews and history, we even created the ultimate beeing whos son is ofcourse human )which is why its probably hard to accept that we are just like them, but if someone was to watch us from another planet will just see another species, just a litlle more advanced. nothing more

here is a quic look at your species... enjoy

quote:

The scientific study of human evolution encompasses the development of the genus Homo, but usually involves studying other hominids and hominines as well, such as Australopithecus. "Modern humans" are defined as the Homo sapiens species, of which the only extant subspecies is Homo sapiens sapiens; Homo sapiens idaltu (roughly translated as "elder wise man"), the other known subspecies, is extinct.[3] Anatomically modern humans appear in the fossil record in Africa about 130,000 years ago.[4][5]

The closest living relatives of Homo sapiens are the two species of chimpanzee: the Bonobo (Pan paniscus) and the Common Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes). The two species are equally close (they share the same common ancestor), the main difference between them is the social organization: matriarchal for the Bonobo and patriarchal for the Common Chimpanzee.[6] Full genome sequencing resulted in the conclusion that "after 6.5 [million] years of separate evolution, the differences between bonobo/chimpanzee and human are just 10 times greater than those between two unrelated people and 10 times less than those between rats and mice". In fact, 98.4% of the DNA sequence is identical between

Humans, or human beings, are bipedal primates belonging to the mammalian species Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man") in the family Hominidae (the great apes).[1][2] Humans have a highly developed brain capable of abstract reasoning, language, and introspection. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees their upper limbs for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make far greater use of tools than any other species. Humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago. Since then, their area of occupation has extended to include every continent, with a total population of over 6.5 billion as of 2007.

Like most primates, humans are social by nature; however, humans are particularly adept at utilizing systems of communication for self-expression, the exchange of ideas, and organization. Humans create complex social structures composed of cooperating and competing groups, ranging in scale from small families and partnerships to species-wide political, scientific and economic unions, and social interaction between humans has established an extremely wide variety of traditions, rituals, ethics, values, social norms, and laws which form the basis of human society. Humans also have a marked appreciation for beauty and aesthetics which, combined with the human desire for self-expression, has led to cultural innovations such as art, literature and music.

Humans are also noted for their desire to understand and influence the world around them, seeking to explain and manipulate natural phenomena through science, philosophy, mythology and religion. This natural curiosity has led to the development of advanced tools and skills; humans are the only known species to build fires, cook their food, clothe themselves, and use numerous other technologies

the only thing i dont agree with is that they are calling us all " Homos" .... I am not

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 17:33:31

Rain

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Florian

quote:

but i agree fully with John, trendy has nothing to do with it, its evolution, we started out as monkeys and developed alot faster.

we may be the smartest species by our own measurments, but in the big picture, we are just one of the species, live , reproduce, die, eat , kill for survival (all tho most of us dont have to ) just like the others.

Being a Darwinist, I agree with you 100%. Yes it is the strong that will survive, however having strength should not give any entity the right to abuse it.
History has over and over again proven how nations or individuals have abused that power, and unfortunately will continue doing just that.
Concience is not something that is learned, on the contrary it is something that is inate in all of us. The definition of an insane person is one who does not have an understanding of what is right and what is wrong.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 20:22:58

John O.

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Rain

quote:

Concience is not something that is learned, on the contrary it is something that is inate in all of us. The definition of an insane person is one who does not have an understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

Yes and no. Conscience is not learned but how our conscience affects our actions is learned. Whether culturally or socially from burping and farting at the dinner table to cutting in line (sorry Germans) to fighting, killing and what not. While somebody growing up during a war may not feel guilty killing somebody I sure couldn't live with myself if I had to.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 20:41:56

Arash

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to John O.

Another new shocking Video!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 21:32:11

Doitsujin

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Florian

I dont understand whats going on there..... Who is good who is bad? What is the goal?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 22:12:45

John O.

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Doitsujin

To be right and show off how much we think we know, Doit! I'm good, everybody else is bad
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2007 22:16:07

hassurbanipal

the signature below my post quite says it all.....:))

Plus je connais les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens."
E. Satie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2007 6:28:50

Florian

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to hassurbanipal

Doit u are so right .... u dont. lol jk.

just bul*sh*t conversation mate, no big deal , i for one enjoyed it, hope it didnt enterfear with anyone , it is offtopic.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2007 7:25:15

Bogdan1980

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to Rain

Rain in regards to other countries and spreading their ideologies.

Aren't muslims doing that? Or do you think that the stuff about "muslim domination" is made up? Do you not see how they react every time anyone says something about muslims? I'm ukrainian orthodox and if someone says something about our faith or God, whatever that's their views. You say something about Mohammed and they are freakin' burning flags and vawing Ak-47s in the streets.
I think if they had a chance they'd come everywhere and spread the freny.

Wasn't USSR doing that with communism spread all over eastern Europe and military invasion into Chechoslovakia and Poland? Isn't Russia still doiung that with Chechnya? What about China and Vietnam?

So let's not single out US. Yes it's all about oil but the World Trade Center sure gave a good reason to start sh%4#t, wouldn't you think?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 15:54:42

wiseguy493

Islam and Christianity have both been corrupted numerous times throughout history and both are still currently being corrupted in this war and in political battles throughout the world.

I'm agnostic, not the kind that is aethiest, but the kind that observes and studies all religions and notices patterns in how organized religion corrupts, so I question and I don't affiliate myself with a group. If I had to pick a religion, it'd be buddhist because that's the closest to how I live my life.

I was raised Christian though, and took an interest in Islam later in life. I have also been Eastern Orthodox (not Ukranian though, heh) and I've experienced most of the protestant and evangelical faiths, as well as catholicism and anglican.

What I learned from all these experiences was that no religion is perfect, and few are without their flaws. Most exist to serve some isolationist social structure that believes it is superior to the others.

You can't accurately judge people based on their choice of faith or group they affiliate themselves with... you have to judge people based on who they are. Some of my good friends are Islamic, Hindus, Sikhs.... they are good people with good morals, even if the groups they affiliate themselves with may make poor decisions at times.

The United States (my country) is arrogant in our approach to the rest of the world. Just look at the situation with Iran, we won't even talk to them when we really need to be doing so. Our foreign policy is on the maturity level of a spoiled 5 year old. Not saying their policy is any better, but if we're going to pretend that we're the world's leading democracy, we better back it up with our actions and show it to the rest of the world by negotiating good terms with them and not bullying them with our economic and military influence.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 17:26:24

wiseguy493

P.S. The good Muslim people don't spread Islam through fighting and condemnation, they spread it through peace and friendship. When the religion is followed properly (like Christianity) it is a very wonderful and peaceful religion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 17:27:57

Bogdan1980

RE: Americans bringing democracy to ... (in reply to wiseguy493

Yeah I gotta agree america is pretty arrogant. Americans think they are better than the rest and live in their "island" isolated.
I support the war generally because in some way it lets the world know that US won't tolerate sh&%$t like 9/11. You have to admit that one has to have f%$%#n audacity to come into our major city and slaughter 3000 people for no reason.
At the same time I think it's stupid to go to a country like Iraq that has thousands of years of history and tradition, so they are pretty "set in their ways" and here come we Liberators who want to institute our way of life which may be absolutely alien to Iraq and may just not work there.
However, I don't think in reality anyone truly cares about democracy in Iraq. I think it's mostly about controlling the region which = controlling resources. Controlling middle east now is pretty crucial with $3 a gallon gas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2007 18:31:49
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post